Welcome Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Monday

Good morning friends. Hubby and I had a great day traveling around. We went out for lunch and looked at the fall colours.

This week is a work week for me. I need something to work on and I haven't really decided what I want to do just yet. I have little things I can work on. It will be a long day as I work until 6.

Other than that, not much to report on this fine Monday morning. Rain is predicted for much of the week.

Have a great day everyone. Stay safe.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Morning all,

Yesterday we took advantage of the nice day and took a ride. We purposely avoided the east end of the Island and the farm stands due to it being pumpkin season. However, we did pass one farm stand and we're dismayed by what we saw. They had to be seven hundred cars, they were parked bumper to bumper on both sides of the road and their parking lot was packed. Farm employees were out on the road with walkie talkies trying to direct traffic it was so backed up. Most had masks on but we passed quite a few people without masks and parents had toddlers and babies walking around in that crowd. So much for social distancing.

No sewing yesterday by the time we got home was late afternoon. House smelled great when we walked in as the chicken and stuffing in the crock pot was almost ready for dinner.

Widshing everyone a good day!

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Cathy where do you live? Just wondering since you said island and your profile doesn't list your location. Yeah everyone seems to be out getting pumpkins I think, but 700+ cars that is crazy.

Good morning everyone!

I am finally getting my energy ba k a bit after mama's move on Friday. We were both exhausted. Went I went to see her yesterday to check on her and do a bit more unpacking, we were both calm and quiet for the first time in days lol. She is doing very well, just tired. She is starting to sleep better, and with the plentiful amd delicious food she's receiving she's got her appetite back. Moving is so stressful...especially this kind of move. The move itself went without a hitch and the staff at her assisted living place are super kind and lovely. Her suite looks lived in now. She will be in quarantine for 2 weeks. I can go see her as an essential visitor as needed.

Did my weekly baking on Saturday...hot dog and hamburger buns (all purpose buns), bread and pizza dough. I made pizza for dinner last night after a curbside pick up and sanitizing of the groceries. Talked to both my parents and my aunt last night and worked on mama's fall wreath. It's almost done. Just need to hot glue it together.

Today I will do some more online purchasing for mama and us, pay some bills, do mama's laundry (I'm doing all of her clothes in batches to freshen them up), get the green bins ready for pick up tomorrow, and catch up on some of my own chores. I would like to mark amd baste my Seeds of Change quilt if I have time. I am taking a few off before I start work on clearing out mama's apartment.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Stay happy, healthy and safe!
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      What, you make your own hot dog and Hamburger buns?!! Are you crazy. I should introduce you to my friend who makes her own ketchup. I thought she was crazy too.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. I love to cook and bake. I would be making my own ketchup too, except we are Heinz people lol. The families on both sides are still talking about the homemade cranberry sauce I made 30 years ago every time a turkey dinner holiday rolls around. Lol. Homemade ketchup would disown me I think!

• ktdid
      ktdid commented
      Editing a comment
      I have made my own cranberry sauce for ever...and I can it in a water bath, usually have 6 - 8 pints, it's easy to do!! I also make onion buns similar to hamburger buns, not a thick though
      Last edited by ktdid; October 7, 2020, 04:12 AM.

Cathy, what's your recipe for the chicken and stuffing (if you're willing to share)? I love crockpot meals.

Comment

This was a first time recipe for me that I found on youtube. Can't say it was great.There are quite a few recipes there that are similar if you search chicken and stuffing. The house smelled really good but the recipe was just ok. It was messy to serve with the chicken under all the stuffing. I think if I made this again I would definetly tweak the recipe.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        So many crockpot recipes don’t work out for me.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I'm not feeling so chipper this a.m. My L. leg & knee really started hurting yest. It's gradually been getting worse all week. Not sure what's going on. It hurts all the time, even to walk. By bedtime I had to take a pain pill. I'll be calling first thing this a.m. to try & get in to see the ortho. dr. ASAP. Maybe I need a shot of cortisone or something. This is discouraging.

Yest. was beautiful. It got much warmer than they predicted. We had 87 deg. at our house. It's supposed to be nice all week. No more time now.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        Feel better soon Joy! That is a worry.

• jjkaiser
        jjkaiser commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Joy so sorry to hear about your knee. I think you work too hard! Did you try ibuprofen or is your pain beyond that? It usually works pretty good and pretty fast. Take it easy.

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Ibuprofen ~ Yes, I've tried that. I have to use it very sparingly since it affects my reflux & bothers my stomach. Yes, my pain is beyond that. I've used every topical med. I can think of -- Sombra, Voltaren, Aspercreme, Arnica, Bigeloil (which actually is a horse liniment). & OTC meds. In order to get pain relief I dug out some pain meds. I had left over from a previous time. I take only 1/4 tab. along with 500 mg. of Acetaminophen to take off the edge. The pain never goes totally away. I see the dr. this afternoon at 2:30.

Good Morning ~ It’s quite chilly this morning. The furnace has been running off and on since the wee hours.

Yesterday was a relaxing day. I sewed several pinwheels and did a bit of squaring up. The sewing room needs a major straightening but motivation is low for that happening anytime soon. Sugar has discovered that my sewing room isn’t such a bad thing and that she stands a good chance of getting to sit on my lap while I sew. This is her new favorite thing to do.

Cathy, going for a ride to see the Fall colors is on our list. The colors aren’t far enough along here for that yet. We have some fantastic places to enjoy the beauty when it gets here. From year to year things change.

Wishing everyone a good start to the new week. Hugs....
      Last edited by Bubby; October 5, 2020, 07:20 AM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good morning!

It's a crisp start to the day here, with temps in the 40's and a forecast high in the mid 50's. It should be a clear day. Temps start warming up again tomorrow.

I finished the quilting on my spring twist quilt yesterday. I also trimmed it and squared it up. I will start on the binding today. I will be glad to have it finished, hopefully tomorrow. I have to wait for the fabric for my next quilt, so I will work on making masks. Not my favorite thing to do, but I want to make a few seasonal ones and also send some to a friend.

I made a fun discovery last night -- a couple of the fabrics on the back of my Halloween quilt glow in the dark! I had no idea they did that. Speaking of Halloween, my city has decided that yes, there will be trick or treat this year. I am surprised. I read the list of do's and don'ts for maintaining social distancing and some of the rules contradict each other.

Time for tea and to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a fun discovery with the fabrics!

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I bought candy for Halloween. Not sure what the rules are around here. We're still on masks in public, so I guess I could wear my mask and put the candy in the kids bags. Or... leave the light off and eat the Reese's by ourselves. We'll see what the numbers bring when we get back.

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Neat discovery Julie! Trick or treating is on this year here with social distancing suggestions like not leaving candy in a bowl outside but handing out candy with tongs, only going out in small groups and only eating pre-packaged treats. We never get kids anyways and go down to Bellingham, WA for Mexican food for dinner. I guess we will be home this year watching movies and joining Katrina in eating Reeses lol

Good morning. Looks like a nice day. Hubby said it rained hard at some point during the night but I didn't hear it. Slept well last night.

We are still waiting to hear about arrangements for Uncle Paulie so plans for this week are sort of up in the air.

Yesterday I spent a good portion of the day on Aviendha's quilt top. I finished it and so now this week I will work on sandwiching, quilting and binding hers and Zeke's and get them mailed off to them.

Last night I got to spend a little time with 3 of my boys virtually on a video chat. Tim's internet was down so he couldn't join in. That was fun.

Well I'd better get a move on. I didn't get the fall decorations out yesterday so that is one of the first things I want to accomplish today.

Have a good day everyone.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good Morning All,

Another dreary day. It was raining when Gabby went out, so she's wrapped up in a towel so my chair won't have wet feet prints.

I need to start lists. Jim sent links to some things for the kids and Morgan for Christmas. I'll share with Diane and Tammy.

Not sure what today will bring since Mike's off. I need to start making lists of things we have to take to VA. I already have stacks on the sofa. This week should be interesting. I'm crossing my fingers my sewing machine will be back before we leave, and the VT wall hanging will be done at the long armers. We'll see. It feels like I'm on waiting mode for everything.

Have a great day
          Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good Morning to All. Yesterday was more of Downton Abbey watching but the ole 2watt lighbulb went on... idea time.. why not put the shredder in living room, relax in recline and start going through all the super old paperwork from dads house while watching. Well I empited that shredder 4 times and of course a hiccup or two with the empty process made for a vacuum afterwards. I think I will make this my daily routine, a few minutes a day with paperwork and shredder and by years end have it done and done. Slow n go, don't want to burn up the shredder.

Some phone calling today to get dads utilities accounts ready for closing (escrow still on track to close on 14th) and plan on spending time in sewing room. I have decided to make lap quilts for my gal pal group. Four of us from our working days (one still is employed at the company) and we are still in contact with each other. I think I can have 3 done by Christmas. I ususally sew a small gift each year, but I think this year calls for something special for them. We have all had some difficult life events over the past couple of years and covid has made the past year even more challenging for all of us.

Time for another cup of coffee, email and then a quick search for quick quilt patterns. Please stay safe and have a happy one today.

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
              Mimi_Howard commented
              Editing a comment
              I do now have a 1975 Sears Catalog (bout 3" thick). Inflation for sure over the years!

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              When going through my grandmother's things when she passed away we put her clothes that were in good condition in plastic storage containers and took them to the local thrift store affiliated with our church. I would unload the containers and go back and start again. I am sure that we took at least 50 large storage containers of clothes to the thrift store. Most of them were grandma's clothes, some was from grandpa (who passed away 5 weeks after she did). I also must share that we had probably a quarter to one third of the containers had clothes that still had tags on them. She passed in 2010 and had not been shopping for at least 5 years. Even grandpa had clothes still in the packages! As far as stuff to shred, oh my goodness. I went through everything but instead of shredding we burned it. Took me about 4 hours continually feeding the fire. I still have a few things of his that I can now get rid of, taxes etc from the year they passed away. They had so much and had even downsized several times in years past. They had so much but grandma was well over 100 and grandpa had just turned 98 when they passed.

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              Rob ~ We still have the set of World Book Encyclopedias that I bought when my boys were young. Copyright is 1974. I bought the yearly updates & the Science Yearbooks for several years. DH still uses them; he doesn't have anything to do with the computer.

I remember when we went through my mom's stuff. So many boxes to sort. I need to get a jump on that so it's not left for my kids. It's one of those jobs that gets put on the back burner. I said I'd get to it when I retired. Huh! I've been retired for 11 years.

Good Morning Monday!

It's an office day today between the raindrops. More rain expected this week too.

DD and I had so much fun yesterday. We decorated for Fall and reviewed all the halloween items. They are put away for now so little man doesn't see them yet. Then we spent a couple of hours in the sewing room. She wanted to learn some sewing skills so we started at 101. I'm giving her the janome to use. I started a sewing box for her. New scissors, thread, and sewing tools in a plastic case that she can put out of reach. She already understands all about Scissors 101 and has a full respect for nice ones. The best phone call ever was when she called to apologize for all the times she didn't put the scissors back in their spot. They were the kitchen utility scissors and I finally labeled them "mom". Our kids knew I would go after them to bring them back. LOL!

She also knows there is only one rule to follow in my sewing room. If you use the rotary cutter, close it! It's fun watching someone gain skills. She is ready to fly.

I finished 3 pillow cases on the serger yesterday. Two of them with dino fabrics and one with halloween fabrics. I had to cut the directional prints so decided to use different prints for the front and back. I may need to revise the size as I thought the pillows were queen size but DD says standard size.

Off the boards to get to the office today. Happy Stitches!

Comment

Not really much to report today. Cheryl continues to work on the GFG for my sister, and I didn't do any sewing at all given that my day was spent reading newspapers. Will likely work on the double nine patch today and might even get it done. Of course, a lot of that depends on how much Patsy decides she wants to go out.

We have settled on a vet for her, so I need to call them today to get her first appointment scheduled. Other than that, things are (thankfully) quiet.

Have a great day all!

Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

Good Morning all,

I was off and "running" this morning. Had to have labs done as I have my annual physical on Friday and I wanted to get there early and then I also got our groceries. I was even able to keep the cost down for a change.

Yesterday I helped Dave with some of the siding. He was putting up the last row and needed me to help him as the piece was 12 ft long and they tend to break if they bend too much. I was a little leery, I do not like heights and it isn't easy for me to get up and down a ladder with my weight as it is. I was able to do it without much trouble--found out that going down the ladder is harder on my knee than going up. Wouldn't have guessed that. Now he is finishing up the caulking and the whole project has been completed. He is happy because he thought he would only get the south side done and the west would have to wait until next spring.

I was able to do some sewing yesterday. I got the two pillows done for the Glam Girl quilt. I am hoping to get upstairs this afternoon some time to get the Glam Girl quilt layered.

On the list today is to do some backing. Dave has asked me to make some cookies. He loves my grandma's sugar cookies so I am planning on making them and probably some oatmeal cookies as well. I am partial to my grandma's chocolate chip cookies and thought about making them but I will not leave them alone so it is better to not make them. Best get the margarine and butter out to thaw so I can get them started this afternoon.

Have a great day everyone.

Carlie

Comment

• Bouse
                  Bouse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Would you be willing to share the recipes? I cannot make cookies to save my life and my kids love them. I suspect I am a source of disappointment to them on that score.

• CarlieBlilie
                  CarlieBlilie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Always willing to share recipes. I will post both later this morning.

Happy Monday afternoon. The Hubs and I started a dirty, dusty project this a.m. that seems to be on a lot of folks minds - cleaning out and getting rid of stuff. The storage shed is bulging from assorted unknown boxes and objects. This morning we got everything pulled out on to the lawn, and we're sorting. No weather in the forecast and we should be able to get through everything without worrying about wet. Trying to cast off items that don't relate to our life any longer. And we've got a huge helping of things that will head to the son's for him to decide what to do with - GI Joes, cap guns, books and such.

I had a happy accident this morning looking at the deal of the day page. Down low on the page I saw the perfect solid for the backing of the quilt I'm working on. Just yesterday I told the Hubs that I despaired of ever finding the right color - and voila - this morning it's on the website in plain view - butternut. Yippee. I'm going to add some of the Insul-brite batting to the order too. The little cowboy boot pattern that someone was looking for over the weekend will make darling potholders for the SIL that still barrel races.

Sandy

Comment

• jjkaiser
                  jjkaiser commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What is a barrel race? And I love that butternut color too!

• ktdid
                  ktdid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Guess you've never been to a Rodeo?? or or met a cowgirl !! google it

• srgreene
                  srgreene commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Typically a ladies event at rodeo. The gals race their horses around three large barrels for best time.
              Working...
              X