The escape artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The escape artist

Learned a valuable lesson today. I noticed we had a couple of packages out on the porch, so I opened the door to step outside and get them. Patsy was in Cheryl's recliner, which is furthest from the door. I had just started to pick them up when I heard a thud on the floor and a jingling collar. By the time I figured out what was going on, she was out the door, down the steps and in the yard. I yelled "Patsy!" and she stopped and rolled over on her back, submissively. Luckily, she stopped. I grabbed her collar (lightly) and praised her for stopping and walked her back into the house. I think I scared her a little because before this I had never yelled at her. Next time, even if I'm just stepping outside for a minute, I will make sure where she's at, and then shut the door.

Whew!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Our puppy did the same thing a few days ago. Scared me, thankfully he came when I called him. Our fence was destroyed from the hurricane.

Glad your pup is okay.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

When our Westies get out it can take hours to catch them. It often entails romping through the deep woods, through the creeks and across the highway. Since Jeff can’t run, I’m the one who has to do the chasing. We try to make sure they are away from the door when we go out. Rob, so glad that Patsy was a good Girl and obeyed you.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

So glad you startled her & she dropped over on her back. A stray dog came up the the shop where I used to work & everyone decided I should be the one to take her home. Shortly after we took her in she discovered every hole in the fence that surrounds our yard (wire fence) and we had to go find her. Needless to say it didn't take us long to patch every single hole that we thought she could escape from. Shortly after that we trained her to come to a whistle call and that training has paid off in many ways since then. When we blow the whistle, she comes a-running to us.

Comment

New dogs are like that. Our Frankie is so happy to have a home he plans to stay in, that he takes his job as a watch dog very seriously. Open doors he investigates instantly. On walks he stays ahead of Jack , making sure it's all clear. Some people don't like dogs that talk too much, but I love it. I always know when someone is near the house or walking down the street. After awhile you come to know the tone of each bark and what they are telling you. Fedex ! Mailman ! Lisa ! lol. When it is a real lurker , mine stay silent and stand at the door watching. They are telling me to stay close . You know Patsy is happy with you when she is being watchful. Dogs are wonderful.

Comment

I'm so glad you had a quick and easy resolution to Patsy's escape attempt.

Gabby is pretty good about staying by the door, but boy does she bark when anyone is at the door! lol, according to her paperwork, she barks once when someone comes to the door. Uh, nope, she barks constantly until she sniffs them out.
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Dogs bark to communicate with their human family.

We have to be careful when we open the back door. Our cat will run outside. She comes in when she decides. Unless she hears us rattling her food jar! Then she decides to come in. I'm not sure who is in charge anymore!
              Vonnie

Comment

• auntstuff
                auntstuff commented
                Editing a comment
                Its ALWAYS the cat, of course!

Glad Patsy was a good girl and stopped. She's still learning her boundaries but it sounds like she has a good start if she stopped for you.

Comment

Whew! Good thing Patsy's a good listener!!
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
                X