Drivers license ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivers license ?

I can't seem to find an answer to this. I let my license expire (I won't go into all the whys, lol) and I want to renew it. If it was out of commission for a long time do I need to take any tests? It expired 9/2019. Does it go by state?
    🌺 Lorie

It probably goes by the state laws. If you didn't have a star, you'll need all of your documentation to get that, too. It was a pain in my a**, since I've always gone by my middle name and my Driver's License, and SS card was in my middle, maiden, and married name. I had to get a certified copy of my Birth Certificate, too, since the only copy I had was from the hospital. I couldn't even get a checking account without a FL ID and then it had to be in the name on my ID. Insert eye roll here.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Many states will at least make you take the driving test after that long, and a lot of them the written test too.
      TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Knowing how things go, I probably missed a year deadline or something. lol One of my dd's just went to the DMV and you need to make an app now. I guess I'll have time to study. I'm tired of Instacart. I'm tired of ordering things online and a couple of days ago my dd's finally came over and took me to a fabric store just down the hill from me. I'm tired of being stuck at home! lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I pulled up the Hawaii Driver License Department here: http://www.honolulu.gov/csd/dllicense.html
          I went to the FAQ's about Driver License & it said this:

What happens if I let my Hawaii license expire?

You can renew your expired Hawaii driver license within 90 days with no penalties. After 90 days, a $5 late fee is assessed for every month (even partial months). After one year past the expiration date, you must start over and take the written test as well as the road test. Under state law, an expired license is invalid for driving. Please provide original documents that show proof of identity, legal presence and social security number. Names must be the same on all documents. If you have a name change and the names on your documents are not the same, you must also submit the original document that verifies your name change. (Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Naturalization Certificate, Court Documents). NOTE: Any license issued to applicants with temporary lawful status may be renewed up to 90 days after expiration. Thereafter, the applicant shall be treated as a new applicant for a license.

For assistance with identifying acceptable supporting documents required to obtain a driver license, please visit our interactive DocumentGuide or CS-L(DL)248.pdf.

So it says you have to start all over again & take a written & road test after one year past the expiration date. Looks like you might just get in under the wire if you hurry. My license expired in Aug. on my birthday & it took over a month to get an appointment to renew.

P.S. Yes, states are different. We have 2 years to renew here in Texas without having to start all over.
          Hope this helps you.
          Last edited by osewme; September 26, 2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Hulamoon
            Hulamoon commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for looking for that! I didn't look at the FAQ page. By the looks of that document guide I'll be busy getting all the paperwork done for awhile. I just wanted to rent a car for a little bit to shop for a used car. Geesh what a pain in the arse. lol

If you haven’t had your birthday yet, hurry up and renew online and just pay the penalty.

Comment

When I renewed mine it said I had to bring:
            • expired driver license
            • social security card
            • birth certificate
            • marriage certificate
            • proof of residence
            The only thing they looked at was my driver license & my birth certificate.
            Take every thing they require just in case they want to see it all.
            Also, I could not renew online or through the mail because I renewed last time through the mail. Now I'm good for another 8 years.

Comment

Thanks! Now I'm in a real pickle. Since you need to take an eye exam I have to go get new glasses that I stopped wearing eons ago. I won't pass a test without them. ugg I really want to say s**t. lol
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Good luck Lorie! Kentucky stopped mailing driver's license renewal reminders a couple of years ago supposedly to save money. I've wondered how many folks let theirs expire because they didn't get that reminder.
                *~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I’m sure the rules vary from state to state. I’m concerned about this issue also, as my license expires in February and if we are in the middle of flu/covid season I will probably choose to let my license expire rather than risk exposure in a crowd. Good luck with your issue, Lorie.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks😊 i found i could do everything online and right now it's just my SS card. My dd had an app with DMV last week and she said it was pretty fast and easy because of that. Like Fast Track at Disney. lol I don't feel so flustered as I did this morning. Don't let it expire or you will be me and regret it. Okay 😊

I’m going to call my office Monday. Cross your fingers for me. Glad you found your answer. Missouri is really backwards with things like this.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
                    Hillbillyhike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good luck Barb! Hope you don't have to retake the tests.

• sidesaddles
                    sidesaddles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had to even take my divorce papers from 50 yrs ago. It was crazy.

Mine was up for renewala few years ago when there was a big upheaval here in Wis over voter I.D. You could get two types of renewal, regular, and one with a star that you might? will? need for airline travel, so I wanted the star one. Brought all docs incl cert copy of birth cert that I had to pay $40 to be delivered by Fed Ex a distance of less than ten miles. They would not give me the star one because they claimed my Soc Security card was not the correct color. Even though I had the original envelope showing postmark from SS. I still only have a "regular" license. I hope you can renew without starting over. The DMV can be such a pain and DMV employees are about as friendly and helpful as TSA employees, that is they are grumpy and not in the least helpful!

Comment

• Bubby
                    Bubby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have the Real ID you are talking about. That’s crazy about your SS card being the wrong color. So you can’t fly anywhere?

• jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well bc of covid I am not about to get on a plane anywhere but you are right I cannot fly until I get the license with the star. I ordered a new SS card and when it came it had my name wrong, a double non hyphenated last name (maiden name plus married name). I do not use middle initial or middle name or married name, just first and last name. So I went into the SS office to straighten it out and was told I would have to go to court and get a name change and that was the only way they would change it! Well lucky my dh is a lawyer, so we tried another angle before going to court for a name change. I then went to a different SS office, did not tell them what the first office said. She says you need a name correction form processed not name change. Yes!!! So that is what I did to get it corrected and it took about eight weeks. I was just going to leave it but when I tried to make an appt for a mammo the incorrect name change had automatically carried over to my Medicare card (,unknown to me) so the drs office could no longer chart me under the name Kaiser but the computer kept wanting to chart me as a new patient under W (my maiden name). Now finally all of my ID cards, SS cards, and driver's license names all match. Idk how this even got so all messed up in the first place!

when I moved back to the States from living in Canada for 11 years I had to retake the tests. What a nighmare the whole thing was. Bottom line is I swear it caused me to have PTSD for about six months after I got my license again. While studying for the test when I was driving I use to look at all the signs and name what they were. Like symbols for Stop, Yield etc etc. After I got driving again I use to have my heart rate raise with a jump like OH THATS A YIELD SIGN, THAT's USE LEFT LANE etc. Just awful.
                  https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                  Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm feeling the hand signal jitters already.

If you can renew online you shouldn't have to take the eye exam. Check out & see if you can renew online.

Comment

• Hulamoon
                    Hulamoon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't see that I can, but I found a page that eliminates having to get a SS card. A Stub with my # on a SS tax paper. Then I found the renewal form to fill out right now to save time. I'm still going to apply for a card and get new glasses though. Thanks for your support on this, it pushed me and it's not as intimidating as it seemed. It's just that it takes so much time!

I'm sorry but I just had to laugh over all your nightmares!!! what a process all of you have had to go through! It's like when the first domino falls.....It's also under the heading of "Kick butts, take names later"
                  Kathryn
                  There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
                  X