Sunday Morning Greetings :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Morning Greetings :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's smelling very smoky this a.m. We're still dealing with haze & smoke from the west coast as well as our CO fires. Hopefully air quality will improve over the next day. We hit 92 deg. yest. Denver hit 90, so it broke the record of the number of days in a summer of 90 deg. or more -- 74 days. I know it has seemed like a very hot summer.

I sat down to do some FMQ yest. afternoon, but my LA was not cooperating. Having problems adjusting the stitch & tension. I'll give it another try today.

I learned that a friend died yest. a.m. One year she was my group discussion leader at BSF. She had multiple health problems & had been on dialysis for at least 2 yrs. She's safely home with the Lord now. The year she had to go on dialysis, I gave her a lap quilt with scripture sayings on it. She had been a widow for many years. She was in her early 70's.

Today our church will hold services inside for the first time. There will be social distancing. I'm not going until the hearing assistive devices are available for use. I can't hear well enough without it. One of these days I'll probably have to get hearing aides. The service will be streamed on YT, so I'll once again watch from home.

Good Morning Joy and those who will follow,

I'm dressed and ready for church. In October we'll have a joint service outside, then Equipping hour (Sunday School) will start and regular church services. Morgan's Mom is picking me up today.
    c
    I bought a curling iron, first time I've used one in years. I'm letting my hair grow out a bit. It's about the length it was when I got married. I liked this length, but it does need a bit of curling to make it look decent. The rest of the week, my hair will be on it's own. I won't bake it just to sit here in the house.

Mike's inventory crew was done by 1. So much better than last year's crew! That job is done for the year. Today starts the process of cleaning up the books, I guess. I hope he'll pay attention and learn about that process, too.

Not sure what I'll get started with when I come home. I need to go through the farm set to make sure the two sets are correctly stored. The set Mike and Jim had is going away as so many parts are missing. I just want to make sure the Grammar Farm Set isn't mixed in with that one!

It stayed in the low 80s yesterday. It felt great, dreary but most of the day was just damp. Winds picked up last night, but we didn't have a lot of rain here. Down toward St. Augustine is a different matter. It seems like the radar green/ orange blob just sat there all day. I guess it should move off today, we'll see.

Have a great day! Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      I've used those brush rollers, foam rollers, and rags when mom was curling my hair. Dot has a heated brush that she uses on her hair. She still gets perms. She's always had such pretty hair. Mom's hair would curl around the the nape of her neck. She always envied my waves.. She never realize her hair would wave just like mine did. She was focused on that one black spot that she hated.

• LauraP
      LauraP commented
      Editing a comment
      remember putting your hair up on beer cans to smooth it out?

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember Mom putting my hair up in rags in order to get long ringlets. Those were hard to sleep on! Then mu little sister was born with oodles of naturally curly hair. All mom had to do was wrap it around her finger when it was wet and voila....curls. I always thought that was totally unfair!!

Good morning . It's another cool one here. Yesterday we went to Henry's game and it was quite chilly there. It was nice in the sun but where we needed to be on the sidelines was in the shade. We had a nice surprise there too. Vicky came by for a while with Max and Lily. It was fun to be with all of them.

Before we headed out to the game, I did a bit of straightening up in my sewing room. Then I worked on figuring out the measurements for Zeke and Avi's quilts and pulled the fabric for them. I am anxious to get started on them. I have so many ideas and thoughts running through my head for things I want to make. Now to just find the energy to get to them.

Joy, I hope the smoke starts to lessen for you soon. I spoke with Ana yesterday for a bit and she said they were having a nicer day there finally where they could see actual blue in the sky and the temps were cooler.

Time to get moving and make the sauce for today's dinner. Have a good day everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning everyone!
      Oh, it's cold this morning! I just had to turn on the furnace. It doesn't seem right that we need the furnace in September!
      Yesterday I got some work done on my Valley Blossoms quilt. It's coming along nicely. I read the written instructions, watch the video section and pause it while I do the next step. I actually did some curved piecing for the very first time yesterday. It's something I've always avoided. So I worked on one seam a few times, stitching, tearing out, stitching again until it finally came out without any wrinkles. But.... I had sewn the top fabric on right side up instead of right sides together! Sheesh. One more tearing out of the seam before it came out perfectly. Luckily the fabric was still in good shape. The other seven blocks went much easier. So far I like what's going on with these blocks. Slowly but surely I am making progress.
      My one granddaughter turned 7 years old yesterday so I took some birthday presents to her. She's such an adorable child, always, always smiling at everyone.
      I don't have anything planned for today. Not sure if Mike wants to go grocery shopping. But that doesn't take long. So I'll do some more sewing on the Valley Blossoms.
      Have a happy day!
      ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        We've run our furnace several mornings this month. During that cold snap when it snowed, the furnace ran 24/7 for at least 2 days.

• LauraP
        LauraP commented
        Editing a comment
        We are babysitting my DD's house in upstate NY (Waterton area) while they take their oldest to Florida for school. It has been 28-29 in the mornings. The colors are starting to change and are so pretty. Th newsman says it is a good year for deep orange and purple leaves.
        They left us with their colds which wasn't very nice!!!! another week or so and we can start moving south towards warmer temps.

A much cooler morning today, I was on the porch with a quilt but at 61 degrees I decided inside was better. The dog decided inside was better as soon as her business was complete, smarter than me.
      I finished the runner for my DIL's parents all except the binding but I a thinking we might get canceled, the weather is supposed to be thunder storms, not good for the lake.
      Our kids were supposed to come this weekend but there are 2 covid cases at her nursing home so they are being extra safe. So sorry to not see them but none of us want to get sick either.
      I am going to be quilting today, our overcast skies make me want to get cozy.
      Tomorrow I am going looking for a new chair, both the office chairs I have gave up on being adjustable heights.🙄 I think I need to be higher up so I 'm looking and pressing down on my fmq. At least that is what I saw on one video.... anything to improve.😊

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought my padded, adjustable office chair several years ago from Office Depot, before it combined with Office Max. I paid $99. for it on sale. It made all the difference.

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        I have pretty much the same issue. It’s not so much my chair, it’s me! First off I sew on a folding table. Then my machine is very large and tall and I’m short. If I put my chair up all the way to see halfway well, my feet don’t reach the foot control. I tried raising the foot control up, but that resulted in leg cramps from sitting in a weird position. I use a secretarial chair bought as surplus from the State. Nice chair, good support, no arms. I can’t sew in a chair with arms.

I hope you can find the right chair.

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        Being short is not a problem, I am 5'8" or at least I was. I have two office type chairs and the hydraulics have given up on both. Staples is on my shopping list for next week. I hope I don't have to order one. I prefer no arms, too.

Originally posted by JCY View Post
      Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's smelling very smoky this a.m. We're still dealing with haze & smoke from the west coast as well as our CO fires. Hopefully air quality will improve over the next day. We hit 92 deg. yest. Denver hit 90, so it broke the record of the number of days in a summer of 90 deg. or more -- 74 days. I know it has seemed like a very hot summer.

I sat down to do some FMQ yest. afternoon, but my LA was not cooperating. Having problems adjusting the stitch & tension. I'll give it another try today.

I learned that a friend died yest. a.m. One year she was my group discussion leader at BSF. She had multiple health problems & had been on dialysis for at least 2 yrs. She's safely home with the Lord now. The year she had to go on dialysis, I gave her a lap quilt with scripture sayings on it. She had been a widow for many years. She was in her early 70's.

Today our church will hold services inside for the first time. There will be social distancing. I'm not going until the hearing assistive devices are available for use. I can't hear well enough without it. One of these days I'll probably have to get hearing aides. The service will be streamed on YT, so I'll once again watch from home.
      Joy, I am on my 2nd pair of hearing aids. I put it off for longer than I should have. There is so much technology with the newer ones now. I have an app on my cell phone, so when the phone rings now, it rings directly through my hearing aids. Very easy to adjust volume and filter out background noise through the app. Good luck when you decide to try it.

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have that kind of cell phone, so that technology would not be an option for me. One of these days I'll get to it. DH has no interest in getting HAs, although his hearing is much worse than mine is. He has some dysphonia in one ear. Also some loss from shooting while in the Army.

Good morning everyone. The sun is bright outside. I will be leaving shortly for mass at church. I haven't gone to 90 in person, so not sure how crowded it might be. Today will be more time on the longarm trying to finish my brother's quilt. I've noticed several spots on it while quilting. I sure hope and pray that they come out in the wash. I wanted this quilt to be perfect, and it is far from it, but I need it out of my life. Ever had one of those? Once that is done, I need to log in and get some work done today. Hopefully the network is faster than it was on Friday.

Comment

Good Morning Everyone!

Today dawned pretty nice again. Yesterday was beautiful with temps in the lower 70's and a nice breeze. Dave is already more than half done with siding on the south side of the dining room. He asked me to order a dumpster on Monday. Hopefully we will get that sometime during the week. He will be removing the siding from the west side of the dining room soon. He works on it for a bit then takes breaks. He has bursitis in one of his shoulders and he has issues with his knees, too. I thinks his knee issue is because he spent so many years on his knees working on diesel trucks and trailers. That is the reason he retired a couple of years earlier than he planned. His original "plan" was to retire at 67 and he won't be 67 until March. He has been retired a little over 2 years now.

Took care of a few tomatoes yesterday. Dave had picked up a bunch of tomatoes that had fallen off the vine. Most of them need to ripen a little more. I also went out and picked some. I have them sitting on the table on the patio where the sun can get to them. Hopefully in a few days I can get those done as well. Not many tomatoes left which may be a good thing as I don't have a lot of room left in my freezer.

Didn't do any sewing yesterday but instead worked on the dish towels for my grandson that will be part of his Christmas gift. I asked my daughter what she would recommend for the embroidery and she told me to do Pokemon characters. I had found some and got them approved by his mom and have them all ready to embroider. Sunday's I usually don't go upstairs to sew so I will start the embroidery on these tonight. I also decided how I will be quilting the Irish Change quilt, I will do an "X" in those pieced blocks and then I made a 4-petal daisy from template plastic and will do that in the layer cake block. I haven't decided whether I feel confident enough to do the daisy on the machine or if I should do them by hand. I'm going to give it a test and see how I do.

I hear a cup of coffee call my name. Have a great day everyone.
        Carlie

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Carlie, I think you can quilt the daisies with your machine in one run if you start in the center and do two figure 8s. Try it first on a scrap, of course.

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          That is my plan to try it out and see how I do on the curves. I'm okay with straight line machine quilting but sometimes struggle with the curves. I think that maybe I rush it too much.

Good Morning Everyone. It’s chilly this morning, Jeff said it was 46 when he took the Girls out. The furnace is running and it feels so good.

I spent some time with the emb machine yesterday. Maybe there will be time for me to sew today. I’m in the mood to make a Flying Geese quilt like Jenny made a few weeks ago.

We’re going to have a late breakfast so I need to get into the kitchen. Will check in again later.

Have a blessed Sunday everyone.
        Last edited by Bubby; September 20, 2020, 11:44 AM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning to all. My family visit yesterday was rescheduled until today. At my son's, the grandkids each had a friend at their house, and while they are in their strict social bubble for interactions they are not in mine. The more the merrier is not the moto these days. So today (fingers crossed) my son and daughter and their crew will be coming over for a lunch (early celebration for DIL birthday).

So yesterday turned into a Netflix binge day. I FINALLY received my paperwork from the attorney yesterday. What was supposed to take the court 1 week to finalize and mail out turned into 4 weeks. Will have a phone meeting next week to go over my marching orders for this probate path. The house is back in escrow, first one fell out within the first 3 days. Been almost a week and no bad news on the 2nd offer I accepted.

Time for more coffee... Stay safe and enjoy your day.

Comment

Good morning!

We had a cool start to the day, we're expecting a high in the mid-60's. We should have temps in the 70's the rest of the week.

I made good progress on my Halloween quilt yesterday. I need to sew the flange binding down on the front. I had a great serendipity moment -- when I was sewing the binding on and joining the ends, I used the Shabby Fabrics magic binding method. I wasn't sure if the colors of the flange would line up. They lined up perfectly! I use that binding method all the time. Love it!

Not much on the agenda for today. I should finish the Halloween quilt. I still have lots of threads to clip. Then there's the usual laundry and dishes, etc.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Rhonda K
              Rhonda K commented
              Editing a comment
              Great job with the binding and matching colors. I will try that tool next time. I used straight seams to match the two colors in my last project. Thanks for the tip!

• Maria Sews
              Maria Sews commented
              Editing a comment
              I love that binding method! I use it all the time now and it always turns out perfect.

Morning all!

Seems cool weather is the order of the day as it's nice outside.

Cheryl was called into work today, so I'm batching it. Went to the grocery store this morning to pick up a few things and found a surprise for Cheryl. We have a regional brand of chips called Grippos (if you like spicy BBQ, those chips are to die for!). They put out a flavor called Maui Sweet Onion. When you could find it, it was only in the small bags, and most places didn't even carry those any longer. The only place you could find them was in a local gas station, so when we filled up the car we normally bought five or six bags (one night after work I cleaned the store out...the clerk said "you must really like these." I laughed and said "no, actually, I can't stand them, but my wife loves them, so I'm collecting points against the next time I screw something up.") Anyway, while shopping today I noticed the store not only had them, but they were in larger bags, so I bought three. She should be happy.

Got all the fabric we bought yesterday separated and boxed up into the quilts I want to use them in. Cheryl is making Patsy a jelly roll rug with fabric she picked up at Joann's yesterday. It's pink and will be what we put her water and food dish on. I made progress on my boxes in boxes quilt and have one row sewn together. Not sure how much I will do today since this is newspaper reading day.

Not much else to report. Have a great day all.

Rob
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              Really a cute rug for your new Baby, Cheryl.

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Love that rug!

Good morning to you,

It was a bit nippy here this morning. I believe it was close to the upper 30's earlier this morning. There was a frost advisory but not sure it we got any or not. The temp is forecasted to be about 65 today and then drop to about 38 overnight. This is always a difficult time to dress --- if I wear capris and sandals then my legs and feet get cold, but if I put on long pants and shoes, then I tend to get warm during the day.

I have not done anything with that bag that gave me so many problems in the class on Friday. I unpacked some of the stuff yesterday, but I still have to unpack the bag and it's various pieces and store it somewhere. I have several things that I need to do in the next 2 weeks but it doesn't really include working on the bag. I don't want to wait too long because I will forget what I am supposed to do with everything. I have the written pattern, but it was not written well and is hard to understand in places.

When I moved last year, I threw away all of my garden flags because they were old, faded and some were even torn. I thought I replenish them from AC Moore but they have since gone out of business. I purchased one from Joann's in May and left it up through the summer. I took it down a couple of weeks ago because the bottom was almost completely torn off. Anyway, I ordered one for the fall and a snowman from Amazon yesterday. They should be here today. There are not a lot of places locally that carry them and are reasonably priced.

Have a great day and stay safe!!

Nancy

Comment

Good morning!! Im hoping we stay in today but know we need to do a grocery run. Abby and I eat alot of healthy lunches..zucchini boats and noodles with proteins. I want a roast as its hatch chile season. I bought some chiles to roast. Daniel can eat less healthy everyday but we struggle with weight if we don't eat healthy. It's getting chilly here so I think I'll also buy the chili stuff and need to make a big batch of refined beans.

I'm on to barbie clothes today!! I would like to add more trims to them but I don't have alot. I bought some but I realized trims are one one of the things they price gouge on. I need to buy some jumbo rick rack too. I was trying to buy it in bulk as it's usually cheaper but the measurements are not in consistent formats so I was like forget it!! I'll just buy what I need.

Abby is ready to quilt her first quilt...we dont really have the room to baste it but I'll get creative today since she wants it basted today. I'm going to try the wall method as we have a dog that sheds heavily so the floor is never going to work. Even if you sweep and try I still think it'll be a nightmare. It's why I haven't basted any big quilts since we rescued her last year.

I have everything cut for a few projects and looking at my sewing station I'm ready to knock stuff out..lol does anyone else do projects based off thread color? I need buy more bobbins. I have 6 for my bernina, right now I'm on white...so everything I have going with white thread is getting sewn. I have a color backup, when I switch thread I have a stack waiting. I just yhink we all are unique.

I hope everyone has a safe day!!

Rachel

Comment

Good morning to all!

It's a quiet and relaxing Sunday here. I finally stitched down the appliques on a wall-hanging yesterday. I even used a satin stitch around the watering can on it. Today, I will play with the embroidery machine features and quilt in the hoop. I'm still learning the technique to line out areas for stippling.

Not sure what is the next project. Do I continue with the batik quilt and re-do the last blocks or go on to another section?

Blessings for your day!

Comment

Working...
                X