This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! 🐩 πŸ¦‹

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! 🐩 πŸ¦‹

Introducing........the Venezuelan Poodle Moth....

Firstly, the astonishing Venezuelan Poodle Moth currently still remains an almost complete mystery to entomologists.

This incredibly unique looking insect first made an appearance in 2009. The name derives from a comparison of its rather distinctive physical appearance to a cross between a moth and a poodle.

At this point in time, entomologists know virtually nothing about it. Some assumptions, however, can be presumed to be reasonably accurate.

The zoologist Arthur Anker photographed the bizarre looking Lepidoptera in 2009, while on an expedition. Dr. Anker took a total of 75 photos of the extraordinary species, yet only a few are available to view.

Most notably, the Venezuelan Poodle Moth remains a nearly complete mystery to scientists. Measurements derived from Dr. Anker’s photographs show the unique Lepidoptera to be about 1 in (2.5 cm) in length.

Experts also believe that the Venezuelan Poodle Moth may be a relative of the furry muslin moth, based on its appearance. It is also most likely extremely rare.

In fact, subsequent expeditions to the region have been unable to spot the moth again.

To date, the only known examples of the Venezuelan Poodle Moth live in Venezuela, in South America. To be more precise, it inhabits the Canaima National Park. The region includes rather diverse habitat types, any of which could support a population of this unique moth. These habitats include moist forest and high rock plateaus known as tepuis.

The exact classification of this rather remarkable invertebrate remains impossible at this point due to insufficient information.
    However, it bears a strong superficial resemblance to the Muslin Moth, thus experts believe it represents a member of the Artace genus.

Last edited by Star lover; December 1, 2020, 05:37 AM.
    πŸ’« Star lover

WOW I would love to see one of those.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I can’t decide if it creepy or cute. Thanks for sharing.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• TMP
        TMP commented
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking the same thing. Cute to look at from a distance but I don't want that thing on me. I wonder if it bites

How on earth does that thing fly?
      Katrina
      β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        By flapping its wings....

It looks like something dreamed up for a movie. I agree, creepy or cute? Just proves that we don't know everything about this world yet.
      Carlie

Comment

Looks like an alien invader....we are not alone. LOL
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

there are a lot of out of this world things here. under the Sea too! wonderful!!

Comment

You find the most interesting things to share with us! What a unique moth. God's creation is amazing!

Comment

thanks Anita! That is really unique!
              Vonnie

Comment

Wow, incredible. It looks like something from an alien movie.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                X