Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are You Tired of Expensive Ink for your Printer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are You Tired of Expensive Ink for your Printer?

I used to be very, very frugal with ink for my printer. I'd print as little as possible and almost always in black and white. Back then, I was also pretty good about keeping a budget with notes about what I bought when (THOSE days are long gone). I discovered that I was spending about $120 per year on ink.

Then HP came up with a subscription program called "Instant Ink." Basically, you pay HP a nominal fee each month, and they keep you supplied in ink. For example, for $10/month, you are allowed to print 300 pages per month with a 300 page roll over; i.e. if I only print 100 pages this month, they roll the remaining 200 pages into the next month. A page is a page is a page. If I print a single letter on a sheet of paper, that counts as one page. If I print a full color photo on photo paper, that counts as one page. It's an amazing subscription.

If you don't print much, I believe they have programs as low as $3/month. If you exceed your subscription, they charge you $1 for an extra 20-25 pages. If you know you have a big print job coming up, like a Christmas letter in full color, you can ask them to send you extra ink ahead of time. Further, the tanks hold more than what you buy from the store, so you go longer without having to replace cartridges. They also send you a recycling envelope, but you are not required to recycle.

I now feel free to print anything I like. I have been able to print programs for weddings and funerals, flyers for church events, and aforesaid Christmas letters. I have never once run out of ink before they sent new cartridges. I am really happy with this subscription.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Thanks for this Toni! I never knew. I'll let hubby know about it. This sounds so much cheaper!
    Hike

Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I will check this out as I just bought a new HP printer but haven't set it up yet.
      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

That sounds like a great deal! Thanks for sharing!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Thanks for this info. on the ink!

Comment

Wow, that could be a money saver for many quilters. We are on the lookout for a new printer, our problem is that we do not print much, go for months without printing and each time it seems like the ink dries up and even when we replace the cartridge the printer never works well again. I gues we need to force ourselves to do a test print once a week-that seems like such a waste.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Claire Hallman commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't print out much but the Staples where I buy ink said to print something weekly to avoid the ink drying up.

Let me caution you on a detail about this program. I did it because I thought I would save money, but the key is how much you print. If you're printing several color pages you can save money, but for the average user the savings were never that great. By the time I used up the cartridge, I spent as much as I would have buying an individual cartridge. Not saying it is a bad program or anything, but just be aware of how much ink you actually go through.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Yes, I use it for the home printer and like the program. I never have to worry about getting ink in time. It is already here. There are different plans available and I think my plan is for 50 pages per month at about $6. It is sufficient for what I print and never stress about "printing" or about using color ink.

You will need a printer that is compatible with that program option. Your printer connects to their system so they can keep track. I get messages to turn the printer on sometimes. Good luck!

Comment

I'm on this program and answered a survey on how I liked it. I gave a somewhat negative because you pay by pages. I have been printing out clothing patterns and it only put a few lines on the page, but you might need 15-20 pages. The women wrote back saying I should go on the $15 per mo plan even though I not using that much ink. To get out of the plan you have to send back any unused cartridges.

just think before you leap.
                🌺 Lorie

Comment

We've been refilling our own cartridges for years & have saved tons of money. The refilling has not negatively affected the printer in any way. Every now & then we will actually buy new cartridges just so the old ones don't start leaking or have other issues because of repeated use & things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by osewme View Post
                    We've been refilling our own cartridges for years & have saved tons of money. The refilling has not negatively affected the printer in any way. Every now & then we will actually buy new cartridges just so the old ones don't start leaking or have other issues because of repeated use & things like that.
                    Can you show us how you do the refill?

Comment

• bubba
                      bubba commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you live near a Costco, the photo department also refills ink cartidges. It's very inexpensive.

• Paisley
                      Paisley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Bubba. Good to know.

I believe we got out ink from the below link but I'm not completely sure on that as it's been so long since we've bought ink. However, this is a good site to see how to refill the cartridges. We have a Brother MFC-J985DW printer that are refilling cartridges on. Hope this helps. Each brand cartridge is a bit different but you should be able to "google" something like....how to refill ink cartridges in a HP printer (or whatever printer you are using).

https://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/home.php?cat=4

Comment

Thanks, Toni. I just bought, and set up, a brand new HP printer. There is a card that came with it that will give me one month free (although I read somewhere else that you can get a 2 month free trial. I put it aside, but may look at it a little closer.

Nancy

Comment

Printing pattern pieces for purses goes thru a lot of ink. I don't print the directions, unless I am testing. I just read them from the iPad. For this reason, I got an ink jet printer that prints only in black, no color. It was even reasonably inexpensive! MM like it so much that two weeks later he went and bought the color version. That was a couple years ago. We have not gone thru the ink that came with the printer yet!
                        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• nativetexan
                          nativetexan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow. when this printer gives up i will watch that i can get one that uses only black ink. this one limits what i can do and I'm not used to that. Still i don't print a lot. Don't always need color. can't tell if only one "ink" needs replacing, must do both cartridges.

Thanks....I didn't know this. I am very frugal printing out anything.....but will check this out!
                        th.jpg
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
                        X