Our vacation (long post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our vacation (long post)

As I write this, we should be in PEI right now, but alas, that wasn't possible this year because of covid and that fact that we can't get across the border at New Brunswick. The Atlantic Provinces have their own 'bubble'. We can't get there unless we have property or attending a funeral. So Hubby decided we would try going West. He researched and 'found' the Okanagan. A friend had mentioned Osoyoos to him. So we set off on this adventure at least 3 weeks before we normally do.

The Province of Ontario is very long and it takes a total of 24 hours of driving just to get through it. So hubby wanted to get at least to Thunder Bay the first day. 16 hours on the road. My behind was feeling it. We found a spot at a KOA and spent our 1st night there. I had a great sleep that night with a little help. Driving through Ontario is boring for the most part, trees and lakes. Our next stop was Manitoba and again we found a nice campground, but we didn't have electricity or water (for ourselves) but that was fine with us. The dew was so heavy that night that the poor tent was soaked. Makes it hard to put away when it is still wet. Our 3rd night we made it to Regina. Driving across Manitoba is flatter than Ontario that's for sure. Saskatchewan has the rolling hills. And of course, each campground we found was close enough to the highway so you heard the traffic all night, but I still slept well. From Regina, we got into Alberta and again, the terrain if flat and fields of grain/wheat or whatever as far as the eye can see. Once you get through to the other side of Calgary, then you spy the Rocky Mountains in the distance. We found a site in the middle of nowhere, 23km off the main highway. There is no electricity of any kind at this campground and we were warned of bears. Luckily we didn't see or hear any. By this time, I have trained my bladder to wait until daylight, LOL!!Driving through the foothills of the Rockies is very intimidating. The mountain tops still had snow on them. Hard to believe this time of year. We veered off at one point, headed south. Our 4th night was spent in Kelowna in a nice hotel. Hubby spent the better part of the evening trying to find us a campsite but we weren't lucky.

We set off the next morning in hopes of finding a campsite. We got to Summerland and found a campsite that we could have for 2 nights so we took it. Funny thing, there is a quilt store in Summerland and do you remember me winning fabric not that long ago on a Facebook post? Yup THAT very store. And yes I did get to visit it as we were camping 5 minutes from there. We set off the next day for Osoyoos looking for a campground. Osoyoos is almost at the Washington State border. It is desert out that way and very hot but with no humidity. We had lunch at a nice restaurant and ordered local wine. Okanagan is known for wine and fresh growing fruit. We liked the wine so much that we bought some and visited many wineries. We found another campsite for another 5 days. Sadly our entertainment was the wildfire happening before our eyes across the lake from us. We were never in any danger. We had ducks and road runners. At one of the wineries, there were warnings of rattle snakes.

We went tubing one day. Penticton sits between two lakes with a canal running from one to the other. It was awesome, it took 2 hours to get to the end. A bus takes you back to where you started from.

On our way home, I was in touch with a cousin I found while doing family research a few years back. Well, she and her husband live in Kelowna and invited us to stay with them for a few days. So we did. They took us on a wine tour as well. We had a really great time. From there we camped just near Banff. Again no electricity but man was it cold that night. We were warned of elk, grizzly bears and cougars. We were not to leave anything lying around. Even toiletries had to stay in the vehicles. We survived, LOL!! We had a visit with hubby's 90 year old aunt in Calgary. We hadn't seen her in almost 20 years. It was great and she was so happy to see us. From there we went close to Red Deer, Alberta to visit with friends who are originally from around here. We had an awesome time with them. And then it was time to come home. We camped at the Oak Island Resort in Manitoba and spent our anniversary there. We had camped here once before on our first trip out west. From there we spent the next stops at hotels because of rain, not nice to camp in the rain.

Last edited by Monique; September 16, 2020, 04:10 AM. Reason: Added a little more about our trip.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Wow, what an adventure. Sounds like fun

Comment

It sounds like you had a great time!
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

So glad you had such a great time. You are a pioneer woman, Monique!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Penticton is a beautiful place to visit! We have camped there a few different times. The first was in 1978, and will out tubing, MM lost his wedding band and unless a fish swallowed it, it rests at the bottom of the lake!!

Depending on the time of year, you can get Queen Anne cherries or peaches & cream corn. And, then there is the wine!
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Monique
            Monique commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh lots of wine, lol!!

Sounds like you had a great adventure. Welcome back and glad you made it back safely and healthy! Doesn't wine boost the immune system. 😉

Comment

• Monique
            Monique commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I believe it does.

So glad to hear about your trip. Your pictures are awesome with beautiful scenery. I wish DH & I traveled when we were younger. We missed out on such beautiful places to see & fun things to do. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Comment

Sounds like an amazing trip! I keep asking everyone, ‘why are you in such a hurry to go to other places when Canada is so beautiful?’
            Camping in the mountains is always very cold at night. It doesn’t matter that it’s the middle of summer. My family did it once and learned our lesson. Osoyoos is my favourite place to camp. I’m glad you were able to experience it.
            Maria

Comment

• Monique
              Monique commented
              Editing a comment
              Traveling across our beautiful country is like visiting different countries all in one trip.

Wow - when you get away you really get far away. Personally I love long road trips. Gives you a reason to "unplug" and just relax. Thanks for the great pics. Been a long time since I was up there ... but I do remember the delicious fruit treats.

Comment

Oh my Monique....such adventure! And with ever changing scenery! So happy you had such a great time.....am also very happy you’re home, safe!
              💫 Star lover

Comment

More photos
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Star lover
                  Star lover commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow! Fantastic views and it’s great to see you having a wonderful time. Love & hugs 💗

What fun! Great pictures, too. Touring wineries would be fun. We have talked about visiting wineries. Maybe someday. Looks like you had great time and what fun to reconnect with family and friends.
                Carlie

Comment

Sounds like you traveled down a lot roads! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                  X