Happy Friday!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Friday!!

Good morning dear friends. I find since I have been on vacation that I am not getting up so early any more. Might have to do with sleeping in separate bedrooms. Apparently I snore (don't believe it) so I sleep in the other bedroom. When hubby gets up it doesn't wake me up. And that's a bonus.

I cleaned up a little yesterday but didn't get the laundry done. We have sunshine today so I will be doing laundry and hang it outside. No doubt hubby will be cutting grass today. I also have to head to town for some things I need.

While I was away I did get to two quilt stores. If you remember back about a month ago, I won fabric on a Facebook post, well, I was camping 5 minutes from the store. I did visit, a lovely store, called Cherry Tree Quilts. I bought a few fat quarters. I also got to visit another one in Lacombe, Alberta while we were visiting with friends. Otherwise, hubby wouldn't stop.

So that is what my day is shaping up to be. Wishing you all a great day and weekend. Thoughts and prayers to those dealing with wild fires, snow and other 'things'.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning Monique and Everyone. It’s great having you back safe and sound. Joy did a great job while you were away.
    She got us started bright and early every morning...thanks, Joy.

The Sharing Our Quilts project is still going and it’s been very enjoyable to see how much talent and creativity we have on the forum. I hope it continues for a long time. You have a lot to catch up on.

Jeff’s garage project is coming along well. I took three loads to donate to the community center yesterday. My car is already loaded with another load for today. They are open four hours two days a week. They used to offer a drop box but that ended with the virus.

I did some housework and laundry yesterday. Today I will work with Jeff again.

Again, welcome home Monique. Have a blessed day everyone. Hugs.....
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Welcome back, Monique!

Today is the big day for Pepper. She started in again last night at almost midnight. I grabbed her bed out of the crate, and drug it into my bedroom. It fit between the cedar chest and trunk. I plopped her blanket on top of it, and meanly said GO TO BED and HUSH. lol, didn't hear anything else from her until Mike got up for work and was putting her crate in the living room. It's all packed up and ready to go. I need to get her bowls cleaned up, and put in the box. I'll still have to gather her outside lead up, when she's done outside. I do hope she'll make it without whining the poor guy driving her to TN out of his mind. I'm going to tell him to keep the turkey jerky treats with him.

Nothing much happening in the sewing room at this point and probably won't be happening until I can get all of the Pepper hairs under control. I have a feeling, it's going to take a few days work to get them all swept and vacuumed up.

Time to get dressed and get busy washing up doggie dishes. Have a great day! Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It's Patriot Day ~ Remembering 911.

We're in a slow warming trend. It was mostly cloudy yest. with a high of 56. I put the 2 large pots of geraniums back out on the patio. Chance of frost is over for a while. It's supposed to be 70 today. I plan to bake DH's spelt bread today. Yest. was the annual wellness dr. appt. for DH, which went well. We're waiting for lab results.

Yest. I spent considerable time web browsing for news of the fires in OR & WA. The devastation of the Phoenix, OR fire was shown on the national news last eve. The little town next to Phoenix is Talent, where my niece lives. They were evacuated; I'm waiting for word. I think their house was spared. I watched a report from Ashland of a business destroyed there. The CA fires still are raging. It's heart breaking to see so many homes & businesses destroyed.

The lawn service came early yest. a.m. to mow our lawn a day later than usual.

Monique ~ So nice to have you back.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope you hear some good news soon Joy!

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy, I just got a text from my friend who now lives in Upper Michigan. Her son moved to Oregon at the beginning of the year, I believe. Fires are about 20 miles from him. He left his home and went to his girlfriend's to stay although he was not told to evacuate. He told his mother than the winds have been too high for the planes to drop their antihydrant (that's what my friend said was being dropped). He also said the winders were calming down early last evening so hopefully they can get the planes up. This year seems to have so many more fires than I remember. Praying for all in the areas where the fires are raging!

Good morning!

The dogs and I will head to the cabin later this morning. I'm taking a UFO with me that I want to gift to my DIL for Christmas, and I hope to make good progress on it. Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy there, so it sounds like an excellent sewing day. Yesterday I made a list of everything I hope to make for Christmas gifts. Yikes! I better get moving!!! I might have to break down and take a quilt project to the long armer to get it done. I'm having cataract surgery in December. I think the dates are the 8th and the 22nd. I'm wondering how my eyes will be for close-up work. I think I'll need readers for sure. I just need to be able to sew while my eyes are healing for long distance.

I'm off to get another cup of coffee, then I need to get organized to get on the road. My dogs always know when I'm getting ready to go somewhere, and they get nervous and whine. I can't seem to get them to understand they are going too!

Take care, everyone.
        Jeanne

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Be safe traveling and have a great time!

I found that I could see better close up without my glasses after cataract surgery. Tell the surgeon you do a lot of sewing and hand work. Maybe he can find lenses that will make that easier for you as your distance vision heals. My regular glasses were useless after surgery, but I found an old pair (2 prescriptions earlier) that were great for me while I was waiting for the new glasses. I haven't had to change prescriptions nearly as much since my surgeries.

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          Jeanne, I had cataract surgery last November on my right eye. I have been near-sighted most of my life but have had bifocals for about 20 years. She told me that I would be able to see near without correction. And I find that I can read fine without glasses. She also told me that when I have the left eye done to get the correction for long distance and I should be able to go without glasses for most things. I'm thinking that I will have to have that surgery within the next year. I've had glasses since I was 12. I cannot imagine not having to wear them anymore.

Good morning!

Today is going to be around 70, with a slight chance of rain this morning. I thought I heard the garbage truck around 6 am and rushed to get the garbage out. They haven't picked up yet. I was surprised when I heard the truck, I thought they would be later because it is bulk day and they are a day behind because of the holiday.

One of Mom's medical providers finally billed insurance! It only took contacting them five times. They were billing her directly for the full cost. There might be a co-pay that will need to be paid, but the larger portion of her bills have been taken care of. It took months to get this sorted out. Now if I could just find that one piece of paperwork I misplaced. Mom's insurance is questioning one of the charges from May when she had to go to the ER. I don't know what to tell them, Mom was on lockdown in May and we weren't allowed to be at the hospital with her. It's not like I can ask her, she probably doesn't remember she was there.

I didn't spend any time in the sewing room yesterday. I got a migraine yesterday afternoon. I was fine in the morning and when I went to the grocery store. I haven't had one for a while; there was no warning and it took me by surprise. I'm still a little tired today.

I'm going over to my sister's for lunch. We're ordering Red Robin and I will pick it up. They deliver through Door Dash, but sometimes the food is delivered hot and sometimes it is lukewarm. Plus, picking it up myself gets me out of the house and in the fresh air for a few minutes.

Time to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
          Hillbillyhike commented
          Editing a comment
          That must have been so hard for you Julie. Not being able to be there with your mom.

Good morning. Seems like a cooler day here today. Less humid. Not sure what is on the agenda today. I think there will be a lot of quiet time in the sewing room. My thoughts are with all those who lost someone 19 years ago.

I hope everyone has a peaceful day.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning everyone!

This is my first daily post. The 3 am wake up got me this morning and I had some time on my hands to post here. I very much enjoy this forum and being a part of this wonderful community. I have learned so much from all of you already. I wish to extend a great big THANK YOU and hug to each one of you who have responded to my requests for help!

This last year has been an extremely difficult chapter in my life, from my mama being hospitalized for 3 months and almost passing, me suddenly being off work and caring for my stepdad with Alzheimer's (undiagnosed at the time) and all of their affairs, advocating for my parents and my own needs, moving my dad into a long term care facility and dealing with my own health challenges. At one point there were 3 of us in 3 different hospitals as I kept fainting and had to get a pacemaker. My poor hubby was the only person left standing! He was a trooper throughout all of that and I am extremely grateful to him.

Then Covid was the icing on the cake! My mama alone in her place, dad alone in a strange home, and me alone with hubby and my thoughts. Seemed like life was just one big curveball after another. However, I am a person that believes for everything there is a reason and I like to look for the silver lining in things and make lemonade out of lemons.

Despite all of the negatives there were certainly a lot of positives. From having time to re-connect with family and friends, forming deeper bonds with family through crisis, having time to actually slow down like my doctor and body have been telling me to, learning to really appreciate all that is truly important in life and not caring so much about the rest, to finding time for myself again and doing the things I love...taking care of myself instead of just everyone else!

So...today I will bake bread and buns and continue to work on Mama's Quilt as I still have time before my next hurdle which is coming up very soon. We just got word that there is a place open for my mama in assisted living. Yay!! She is very excited to go and the move will happen quickly. I'm hoping her quilt will be ready as a housewarming gift instead of a Christmas gift.

So, lovely people, if I'm a bit quiet on her the next few weeks, you'll know why. Instead of working on my quilt projects I'll be packing up and moving my beloved mama.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Keep quilting and keep your sunny side up!!
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Gina! You all are so kind!!

• KPH
            KPH commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone is always around here, and many of us have walked similar paths. We're great readers (listeners if in person) and give great virtual hugs and prayers.

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you KPH! They might be needed, lol

Good Morning everyone,

It is sunny and cool again this morning. Got to around 60 yesterday and today is supposed to be nearing 70 but with rains coming in the afternoon. Dave is getting irritated as he wants to complete his work on the siding. I asked him if he is planning on taking the siding off the dining room this fall yet. He is. I hope that doesn't come back to bite him in the butt!

I dropped my sampler quilt off at the quilt store and it is now waiting to be picked up by the gal who will doing the quilting. I'm hoping that the backing is okay. I ironed it out and measured and it was 106" but my quilt is 103. I left a note saying if it isn't large enough to contact me and I will get another backing. The material I bought said it was 108" so I'm not sure if it just shrunk when I washed it or what happened.

I got my tomatoes all peeled and cored, at least those that were ripe. Got three 1-gallon bags down in the freezer now. It is starting to accumulate. That's okay. During the winter I use a lot of tomato sauce for spaghetti, lasagna and chili mainly. I still have enough tomatoes ripening to fill at least 4 more 1-gallon bags.

No sewing done yesterday. My knees are giving me problems. It has been over 6 months since my last injections, something to help the cushion which is gone (it isn't cortisone). I've only gotten an injection in my left knee. Now my right is starting to act up too. Made an appointment to see the orthopedic surgeon so he can diagnose the problem with that knee as well. Then I have to get pre-authorization for the injection. The thing is my insurance absolutely will not pay for the synvisc injection like I got the last two times. Has to be monovisc. We will see what the surgeon says. I know he prefers the synvisc and it is cheaper than the monovisc from what I was told so I don't understand why they won't cover it. Hopefully my knees won't get too bad while I'm waiting for the approval. Last year it took 3 months to get the approval, but it was for the synvisc. Maybe this time it won't take that long.

I hope to get a little more sewing done today but I need to make sure I get my legs up every couple of hours. It seems to help relieve some of the problems.

Time for some coffee and breakfast. Have a great day everyone.
          Carlie

Comment

• geegeequilts
            geegeequilts commented
            Editing a comment
            Carlie, I have horrible knees as well (no cartilage) & get some kind of gel injections in both. Got those yesterday but so far only a little better. I have Mutual of Omaha & Medicare & the injections are covered. Knee replacement is in my future. Hope you get something going for you soon. Gina

• Hillbillyhike
            Hillbillyhike commented
            Editing a comment
            Great news Carlie!!

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            Gina, knee replacements are also in my future but doctor wants my weight down quite a bit before he will do the surgery. Years of sitting for my job and then the last 8 years driving an hour one way has been detrimental. He wants my BMI below 40 and right now i think it is like 45. I have lost about 25 pounds since I retired but it is slow going.

Morning all.

Not so good news from the eye doctor yesterday. I have a cataract in my left eye and diabetic retinopathy in both eyes. I had to immediately see another doctor who started laser treatments then and there. They will have to remove the cataract before they do any more laser treatments. Oh, the joys of diabetic complications. It's my own fault since I put off having my exam for a couple of years. During this time I was dealing with my sister's cancer diagnosis and subsequent death as well as losing my job, so it didn't seem like such a big deal, but of course that's wrong.

After the laser treatment we decided to eat out instead of driving across town to eat at home so we ate at a Sonic drive in. I knew I would be pushing it with my sodium intake, but I wasn't prepared for how much. One cheeseburger and small fries had 1,300 milligrams of sodium! That's just 200 below my daily limit. Of course I know how bad fast food is for someone, but I assumed that I might be eating something with 800 or so milligrams. I was able to eat some no salt added turkey breast for supper, so I only went over about 450 mg of sodium for the day, which wasn't too bad. I'll just have to be good this weekend!

We ended up going to the LQS and spending about an hour or so in there looking around. Found some good deals on some fabric, and yes I did get some more reproduction fabric. Also ended up picking up fabric for my sister's quilt. She has decided, and approved, the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt. In conjunction with that we got in the Accuquilt half hexie die yesterday, which Cheryl is anxious to try. We took the four quilts to the longarmer late in the day yesterday and finally made it home around 6. It was a long day.

I did find a pattern at the LQS I want to try called "In One Direction," which basically is a table topper that has a churn dash in the center and is surrounded by flying geese. I will customize it a bit as I would like to make it bigger, but it's been added to the pile. I'm thinking of making it out of some leftover Kansas Troubles fabric from my Comfort quilt. I've attached an image of it. The fabric is not the final selection, but more of a placeholder until I can decide what to use.

Will get my hair cut today for the first time in several months. I usually have it done every two or three months, so it really needs it. I will have the stylist cut it as close as possible, so I won't have to do this any time soon. After that I will run by work and then come home and start sewing.

Oh, and we found out that we will likely get Patsy, but we still need to talk to the woman who is fostering her and set up a time to meet. Hopefully within a week or so, she will be joining our little family.

Have a great weekend, all!

Rob
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            That diabetic retinopathy is nasty stuff. My daughter had to have surgery, twice, on her right eye because of it. she had laser first but her eye reacted so quickly that the retina detached. She had over 2200 lasers done on the right eye. If anything seems weird or wrong contact the doctors immediately. Her doctor said he thought she might come out being able to see the big E on the eye chart. Thankfully it is much better as long as she wears a contact. They had to remover her lens to get to the repair the retina damage.

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, all. So far, my eye doctor is confident we will be able to take care of things through the laser, although later shots might be used. Right now he thinks shots might do more damage than good.

" You have a ton of quilts to make!"
            You're right, Bubby! I need more fabric! (Sorry, but I couldn't resist). Since the pandemic started we haven't eaten out in months, not counting the occasional chicken sandwich from Subway, that has only 556 grams of sodium). People don't realize just how bad fast food is for you.

Again, thanks for the kind words and thoughts all.

Rob

• KPH
            KPH commented
            Editing a comment
            Take care of your eyes. I have RP and gradually losing my field of vision. I, too, have a lot of quilts to get done!

Good morning,

A quick post to say hello. It's a busy Friday here with errands but no stops at the LQS. One of my little wall hangings decided to take a trip. Where? I don't know. I remember it hanging in the sewing room. I remember taking it down to hang something else in that spot. Where did the pink flamingo go? If you see her, please send her home. LOL!

Hope your day is great. Quilt hugs to all in need!

Comment

Good morning or afternoon depending on your timezone! I decided today was the day to clean my summer closet. Since retiring, I've learned I don't need many clothes and I cleared out 3 big garbage bags of stuff that I haven't worn in ages. I found a pair of pants that I wore in 2000...no kidding! If I finally lose weight, my current tee shirts and leggings will still fit just a little looser.
            Rob, I hope all goes well with your eyes. My husband is a type 2 diabetic. I especially worry about his eyesight because he only has 1 good eye. He lost his right eye as a child.
            I hope everyone is having a good day. Sept. 11 is a day of reflection and remembrance. I think about how the nation came together after 9/11 and how it's so divided now and it makes me sad for our country.
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• KPH
              KPH commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking about 9/11 today and 19 years ago. Things certainly have changed.

Just thought I'd pop in for a quick hello!

Hubby and I were still awake at midnight last night, so we went out and lowered our American flag to half mast in honor of 9/11. DH's best friend was in the Pentagon when it was hit. No one heard from him for four hours, so we were all worried. He basically told his whole team to walk home, because vehicles couldn't get through. And there was no phone service, so no one could call home to let family know they were OK. One of my best friends lost her brother in the Twin Towers. He'd been a stay-at-home Dad who had just re-entered the workforce. Such a tragedy.

Myrna, you are so right! We bonded together as a nation because of 9/11, and those bonds seem so horribly broken right now. The anger in the streets makes me terribly sad.

Another thing that's changed is church attendance. I remember that our church was packed to overflowing that first weekend after 9/11; by the very next week, we were back to a normal-sized congregation. Now, most of us can't even go to church and pastors are being arrested for holding services. How far we've come.

My best to all of you on this solemn day.
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Hello
              today brings sadness to my heart, it's 9/11 while do not have the right words, having just watched the lost tapes of 9/11, can say feel it as though it just happened, it was one of the worst things have ever seen, while you see a mechanical object you soon remember the human factor, the family's affected and the horror of what happened.
              Have seen the other filmed events from people on the ground it never gets easier to see.
              So many horror events, so many deaths, so much sadness, sending my sympathy's to all affected and continued thoughts, for this anniversary and next years.
              T

Comment

So good to be back with you. I spent a few days in Illinois with DD. Then home to start preparing for the winter. We'll be going back to IL shortly to help her finish cleaning out storage sheds and getting flower beds ready for winter. It's hard to believe her DH has been dead for 2 months already. I brought my old Singer 301 home to get it cleaned and serviced. I bought that machine in 1958, the first electric machine I had ever owned. It sewed many miles making dresses for DD and my sister, and shirts and blazers for my boys. I got a new one before I made a tux for older son! Had to replace the motor in England...too much time running it on a transformer!

Today is also a day of prayer for those lost on 9/11. And praises that our youngest who was stationed at the Pentagon escaped with no injuries. He lost a couple of good friends that day. How I wish this country could come together as we did then.

Hillbilly Hike, did I ask you where you are from? and where you live now? I'm a Tennessee Hillbilly, living in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. The Navy moved us to Memphis in 1969, and we've been in TN ever since. We moved to the mountains in 1992, and I love it here.

Comment

Working...
                X