Thursday Morning Greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Morning Greetings!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ The snow melted away yest. In the afternoon the sun came out; our high temp. was 52. It was nice to see the sun. It's 42 this a.m. After it warms up, I'll carry the 2 geranium pots back outside. Needless to say, there was no lawn mowing yest. Not sure if we'll be skipped this week, or they'll come later on.

The eve. news made mention of wildfires in Oregon & all up & down the west coast. I did some web browsing to learn more. I heard Medford, OR mentioned. I e-m'd my niece who lives in Talent, near Medford. They are evacuated, but so far their house is okay. There also is a fire in the Sumner - Bonney Lake, WA area. DS#2's ex lives there & he lived in that area until last year. His apt. complex & her apt. are outside the evac. zone but not far from the perimeter. The devastation in CA is heart breaking.

I had a busy morning in the kitchen yest. Cooked up a kettle of DH's Anasazi beans & mixed up my turkey patties. I have several items on my to-do list. I'm watching the extended forecast to determine when we need to get our swamp cooler drained & winterized. We still have some 80's in the forecast, but it will need to be done within the next 2 weeks. It's also time to clean all the fans. That's my job now. DH always used to do it. The guy is coming Mon. to give our furnace a cleaning & check-up. It's also time to spread winterizer fertilizer on the lawn. We usually don't have the sprinkler system blown out until the first week of Oct.

DH has his annual wellness check this a.m. He dreads going to the dr. or dentist. I hope everyone has a good day.

Good morning Joy and all who follow. I have returned from vacation. And what a vacation it was. I will tell you all about it in a separate post. We arrived home at suppertime on Tuesday and spent most of the day yesterday unpacking. Laundry needs to be done but I may wait until tomorrow when we have sunshine. The weather here is crazy cold, you sure can feel fall in the air. It's too early. We noticed the leaves already changing colours.

Have a great day everyone. I shall read up and see what has been going on around here. Sure feels good to be back.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see you're home, Monique!

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome back, Monique! I'll relinquish the morning threads back to you. Katrina & I kept them going while you were vacationing.

• Paisley
      Paisley commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome home Monique! I look forward to reading of your adventures. I’m sure you’re happy to be home after a wonderful vacation.

Good Morning. I’m easing into the day slowly this morning. I skipped lunch yesterday and really got sick. Lesson learned...don’t forget to eat when you have diabetes. I got involved working in the garage with Jeff and totally forgot. I think I will limit my time outdoors today and do some housework where I can keep cool.

I think I will find something really cute to make with the embroidery machine. The sound of it running always energizes me.

I think I will find some breakfast and start my day.

Have a creative day.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      That diabetes is nasty stuff. I've been around it most of my life, my paternal grandmother, my dad and my daughter and my best friend. Not sure about what type most are. I know my daughter is type 1. The stories I could tell you about my dad and going into reactions, some ended him up in the hospital but then he didn't have the tools that are now available. Please take care!

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      That has happened to me too. I get busy and think, "Oh, I'll eat in a little bit." and then all of a sudden the low sugar hits.

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright Miss Barb, you know not to skip meals. Don't make me come up there, lol. Gina

Good Morning All,

Not, too much going on around here. Bible Study was yesterday, Nana's sister picked me up and we went to lunch after. I packed up my Husky to take for cleaning and adjusting. The check engine light went out on the Malibu. Morgan's van has something wrong with it... something to do with the fly wheel. They'll have it checked out and fixed. We had storms last night. Gabby just hunkered down next to me. Pepper on the other hand, decided it was a good night to howl. Mike had to get up early for work, so I put her in my room hoping she'd shut up. It was well after 2 before she calmed down enough for me to get to sleep. Hate to say it, but I'm glad she's getting picked up tomorrow to begin her new adventure, but I do feel sorry for her with so many changes.

Mike got his schedule for next week, so I'm going to call and make the appointment to have my temp crown replaced with the real one. Gabby needs a hair cut again, so I'll schedule that as well.

Time to get busy! I want to write the kids today so I can get those letters in the mail today.

Have a great day! Prayers for those in need, prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Ginny B
      Ginny B commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my goodness, so many car issues for your family in the last couple weeks. I hope everything gets resolved smoothly. I also hope Pepper has a good transition to her new adventure.

Good Morning to all ...

Welcome back Monique, happy you made it home safely and had a good time. Little bit of an emotional roller coaster ride here this past week. Last Friday my dads house was put on the market. Seeing that for sale sign in the front yard was an "in my face" reality flag, this chapter is closing. I did break down and tears galore that day. And then the traffic of people and their agents looking at it. Since it is diagonally across from house, you can't avoid the sight. My mind knows it is just another house on the street now, but my heart felt the severance of it all.

Past couple of days I have been busy with scraps... taking blocks I made long ago when doing the "mindless" sewing for sanity, and making quilt tops out of them. I think those blocks somehow multiplied while they were in the storage tote! I don't remember making that MANY! Outta sight - outta mind for sure!

Hope all have a safe and happy day. Hugs to all !

Comment

• Ginny B
      Ginny B commented
      Editing a comment
      ((((Hugs)))) to you as you deal with the sale of the house. I know it is a difficult thing to go through. Been there myself.

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Hugs to you, Mimi. I know this is a hard time for you. Hugs and hugs to you.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure it is very hard to watch your dad's house being sold. For that very reason my hubby and I moved into my grandparents house. I just couldn't sell it to someone else, too many memories and I was not in the same town where the house was. To see it going on has to be very hard. It has been 10 years since my grandparents passed and I think now I could sell the house and move on. Probably because I miss being able to see my daughter and her family as much as I used to. Hugs to you as you go through this difficult time.

Good morning all. I am sitting here listening to the rain falling. I had the tv on but decided that the sound of the rain was a nicer, more peaceful sound to have in the background.

Yesterday I did a bit more organizing and rearranging in the sewing room. No actual sewing but I did get all my batting pieces organized and separated into types (fusible, warm and natural, insulbrite, etc.) Got rid of pieces that would just be too small to use and I will "Frankenstein" the other pieces together to get more usable sizes. It's funny, I have been wanting to go through that bin and do that for quite a while and then I get to it and later when I went online, I see that both Bonnie Hunter and Natalie were addressing the exact same thing. After I finished with the batting, I went through two bags of scraps. I found soooooo many 5" squares in those bags. Time to decide on some quilts made with 5" squares. I also found a number of blocks left over from Lily's princess quilt. I am going to add some other fabric to them and make a princess quilt for Aviendha.

I also worked on the cabinet that holds all my canning jars and got them organized. We have our kirby pickles ready to be made into bread and butter pickles and I wanted to check our supplies. I have close to two dozen new lids that I will be able to use. It seems they and a lot of other canning supplies are hard to come by this year. I have more than enough jars and rings. I just might be limited on how much canning I can do this year due to the lack of lids. But I can freeze a lot of stuff. I just worry about losing all the stuff in the freezer if we lose power.

Monique, glad to see you back. Can't wait to hear about your vacation. Sounds like you had a great time. Joy, yes, the fires out on the west coast are so bad this year. My son sent pictures yesterday of the orange sky. They were able to be outside a few days ago but the increase in the smoke is keeping everyone indoors again. My dil is working hard on finding things to keep Zeke occupied indoors. She has found free online programs for him and does art and cooking projects with him. All while taking care of Aviendha and being newly pregnant. Steve helps when he can but he is supposed to be working so he can't just step away from his "office" (aka known as a corner of the bedroom). It is a rough time right now for everyone out there. Barb, take things easy today. Sometimes we do get involved with projects and don't do what we need to and we pay for it for sure later on.

Well, I guess it will be a sewing room day on this rainy day. I love hearing the rain outside while I hear my sewing machine humming inside. Maybe I will also find a project for my embroidery machine.

Have a good day everyone. Be safe.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I just did more browsing about the Medford, OR fire. Some neighborhoods in Phoenix are totally destroyed. A Burger King in Ashland is burned to the ground. Several towns & counties are affected. I still need to check on the Sumner/Bonney Lake, WA fire. I think they named it the Sumner Grand Fire.

• Paisley
      Paisley commented
      Editing a comment
      The Sumner Grade Fire is now 20% contained (on the Evening News update) and has burned over 800 acres, and 4 homes were destroyed. It was a crazy day on Tuesday for fires in our area. The Littlerock fire (southwest of Olympia) burned 290 acres and took 1 home.
      It was almost confusing listening to the radio and watching the news on Tuesday because there was so many fires.
      We’re limiting our outdoor time due to the smoke from local and fires to the east and south.

Good morning!

We have another foggy start to the day. Temps will be cooler -- high around 70.

I was excited the see the M* birthday bash is virtual this year. Then I remembered I signed up to work on site that Thursday! I hope they have it available for viewing if we can't watch it live.

I worked on my Halloween quilt for a bit last night. The needle broke while stitching the quilt design. I stopped the machine and was able to change the needle. The broken needle snagged the fabric a little bit, but fortunately did not do any real damage. I was able to stitch out the rest of the design without any problems.

The local chipmunk population was very noisy this morning! I have no idea what had them so worked up. It got annoying after a while. I found myself wishing -- not for the first time -- that we had more cats in the neighborhood. We have a lot of dogs but you almost never see cats around here.

Time to log back in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Morning all

It is 8:45 and dark and dismal outside due to the heavy rain we're having. I'm glad I have no place I need to be today besides home.

I have been up in the sewing room this week tackling the left over small pieces of fabric from recent projects and getting them cut down into the sizes I need for my two scrap quilts I have in progress it has been time consuming. I cleaned off my cutting table and counted 9 reading pillows in various stages of construction that have to be finished. My goal this year was to have an open house holiday sale but Covid reared it's head and it has been put on hold for this year hence all the UFO's.

Welcome back Monique, you were missed but Joy did a great job of starting our daily thread

Off for one more cup of coffee then to tackle the chores. Wishing everyone a good day!

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Good Morning all,

Today is quite cool, 42 degrees. We got enough rain yesterday to be a nuisance but not enough to really water anything. I don't believe it got over 50 yesterday. Today is supposed to be warmer, lower 60's I think. Dave is going to work on the siding as long as it doesn't rain. He only has a few more rows to go to finish up the back of the workshop. He is going to do the dining room also but I wonder if he would be better off to wait until the spring to do it because he hasn't been able to get out an work on stuff much in the last week or so.

Dave helped me pick a bunch of tomatoes yesterday. We had a threat of frost and wanted to get as many picked as we could. I will take care of those that are fully ripe today and get them in the freezer. There are still a bunch of green tomatoes out there and we are hoping that they continue to ripen. We are supposed to have warmer weather for the next week or so.

Laundry was done yesterday and I washed up the backing for my sampler quilt. I folded it up yesterday but will iron it well this morning and then pack everything up and drop it off at the local quilt store. The gal I talked to about quilting it will pick it up. She has said that she should be able to get it done by Christmas, which works for me. I also worked on a quilt using up blocks left over from a baby blanket I made years ago. I have not found the missing block that I was looking for but I was squaring them up last night and found that I won't be able to use some of them as the seams are too narrow or the block is too small. Still works out that the quilt without the border will be 36 x 36. Thinking of a purple border. It's a lot of yellow but I like bright quilts. I was able to get 8 blocks pieced last night. Taking it slow as I want the points to match up. So far so good I think.

Time to get going and get the fabric ironed. Dave wants to drop off the pallet that had the siding so I will take the quilt with us and drop that off. Will probably do that this morning. It will probably take most of the afternoon to take care of the tomatoes. I need to have Dave stop at the grocery store to pick up some more 2-gallon freezer bags, too.

Have a great day everyone.
        Attached Files
        Carlie

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
          Nwmnteacher commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your pattern and color choices!

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Don't know that I would call these color choices as it is just leftover fabric but I am pleased with the way it is coming together.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Such bright & cheerful colors!

Good Thursday Morning Ladies! With the craziness of the day yesterday with all of the other previous commitments I had before you knew it the day was gone. Unfortunately with that being said, my mom and I didn't get a chance to watch that Hallmark holiday movie or even have time to work on our Yarn Angel ornaments. This morning I have just some small previous housework commitments, then I will have time to work on some crafting with my mom before lunch. I'm also going to be putting my cat quilt back up on the frame to finish off the quilting later on this evening as well as read a couple of more chapters in the book How to Bake A Murder (A Cookie & Cream Cozy Mystery before I go to bed.
        Have a great day!
        Happy Quilting.
        Hugs Katie

Comment

Good morning,

Monique, Welcome back! It's nice to see you home again. We love a good adventure.

I'm making progress on the quilt blocks but feel the need to make something small on the embroidery machine too. I can cut block fabrics while it is stitching a design. There are some scrap pieces of batting that can be used for small projects. Love to make more room. The LQS is having an event on-line. These are informative and keep us connected with the owners. No travel involved and I don't have to pack the machine.

I am being careful with lifting as my shoulder is being cranky. No house painting or gardening for a few weeks.

Time to move along with the day. Enjoy your day!

Comment

Morning all.

An early start to the day as I have my diabetic eye exam at 9:30. Afterward, Cheryl and I are going a couple of towns over to visit a LQS that we haven't been to in a while. Not really looking for anything in particular, but just going to enjoy a day out.

After that we will take four quilts to a longarmer that lives in the town we used to live in. She does a good job, and she's not as backed up as our other one. Three of the quilts are the ones for my Lincoln buddies and the fourth is my Puzzle Me This quilt. Cheryl had to spend about an hour or so taking the border off my quilt and reinforcing the seams. That was one of my earlier quilts, and since then I've improved somewhat (at least I hope I have).

Started on my Blue and Gray quilt yesterday. Got all the fabric cut out and pieced 20 6-inch nine patches and now am working on nine 12-inch nine patches. After watching Cheryl have to redo my Puzzle quilt, I took more time trying to make sure the seams were strong enough to handle a stretch in the Longarm. Ended up using the fabric glue pen along with old-fashioned pens, and it made a difference, especially the glue pen. I must be doing something wrong when I just use regular pens, because it seems the fabric will still shift.

She looked over my Regiments on Parade quilt, and said that it wasn't as bad as the Puzzle quilt, but there will still need to be some work done on it before it can go to the longarmer. Plus, she will have to turn that one patch around. It seems it's the longer seams that have the most trouble as my block seams were all good.

Hope everyone has a great day. I got an appointment tomorrow to get my hair cut. I have one of the first appointments of the day, and my salon follows some pretty strict guidelines, so I feel safe. It's definitely needed. I haven't had a haircut since March, and it shows.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              Have a great day out. Good luck with your exam.

Today is the day to put out Fall decorations around here. When I went to W-mart yesterday I got a few sunflowers and other things to refresh the Fall centerpiece. It has seen better days since I never did it correctly in the past. I got some floral foam for he inside of the ceramic pumpkin so that should make things stand up and do right.
            I want to hang a Fall quilt so that means the ladder needs to come out, too. DH is never happy about that.🙄 I will be most careful since I don't love it either.
            The wash is done including the fabric for 3 quilt backs, I will only starch and iron the one I plan to do first, who knows if I will get the other two done anytime soon and don't want the fabric starched and then sit until next year...or 2022.
            It is overcast here and coolish but we need to get something from the attic before that changes.😉😉
            Have a great day friends, welcome back and welcome new folks.

Comment

I've been "go-fering" for DH this morning. I left home shortly after 7 am on a two hour round trip to get a motor. It was supposed to be shipped to our address, but went to the business he ordered through instead. He wasn't a happy camper and neither was I. It's lawn mowing day today...that will happen later this afternoon. The grass is still damp with dew until mid-afternoon.
              Our guild is going to have a sit-n-sew session later this month. There are only 8 of us so we should be able to spread out. I'm looking forward to it; but, if anyone isn't wearing a mask, I won't be staying.
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Im so late, I've been so sick. I caught a stomac bug the last 24 hours have been yuck. I still worked.

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hope you feel better soon.

• Momofmonsters5
                  Momofmonsters5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Joy, so ready for this to leave. I started posting then still felt yuck. Hopefully tomorrow

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Feel better soon Rachel! Hug!
              Working...
              X