Smart Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Phones

I'm on a rant about cell phones.....Smart phones to be exact. Every one told me they did everything except wash & dry your clothes and build you a house. So I get this Samsung Galaxy A10e from Sprint. Took Sprint about an hour over the phone setting this little marvel up. I on the other hand, 4 months later am thinking this is a rather pricey paper weight.

I do believe the "Smart" has disappeared, maybe it has dementia..... When someone calls, 4 out of 10 times it never rings, or if it does they can't hear me! when it decides to let me actually converse, it's had enough...and drops the call, it's dementia is getting worse!

I hurried to get the weather app so I'd be prepared. I thought this was a smart thing I did. To bad the **** phone didn't agree. I get a tone telling me weather's on the way!! I open the app, it tells me I need to get Wi-Fi to run it!!!! the dementia is gone by now, and just plain being STUPID has replaced it.
    A phone call to Sprint worked wonders...... he tells my calls are dropped because I live to far away from the nearest tower, geez I didn't know 4 blocks was that far, guess it would be if you're a ant or turtle. Today I've decided to call Sprint (my sympathy to the one who answers)

I'm telling them, we need to have a service for this poor now brain dead thing. To bad it went from being "smart" to getting dementia, then going STUPID. Hence my saying YCFS! (you can't fix stupid)
    Ya, a smart phone is a wonderful thing, it's as smart as that light poll out side. Maybe I'll bury it next to the pole, so it can keep it company.
    Kathryn
    Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Love it, and agree completely! I want my flip phone back!

Comment

• ktdid
      ktdid commented
      Editing a comment
      I do to, I didn't even have internet service on it, life was much simpler!

• auntstuff
      auntstuff commented
      Editing a comment
      still have mine...

I'm not very savvy where this stuff is concerned but I do have a smart phone. I get help from my daughter and grands when I have issues, especially my daughter. My husband, on the other hand, had a flip phone but doesn't even have a phone anymore. When he retired and was no longer driving so much he said there was no reason for him to have a phone. He hates my phone. Last night the phone rang while I was out of the room. When I came back he said, very irate, "I hate that phone. It was ringing or something. Sounded like it was going to blow up or something." My best friend was calling. Her ringtone is an old car horn (we've been friends for 60 years). I very sagely kept my mouth shut. No reason to start a fight over something that stupid.
    Carlie

Comment

• Rhonda K
      Rhonda K commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you saying that her ring tone comes over on your phone when she calls? Check your phone settings under her contact information. You should have your ring tone.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      I set up a special ringtone to let me know it is her calling me.

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      It made me think of Jim setting up Howard's voice mail. It threw a lot of people off. It was so funny! (They thought they'd called Jim)

I have also heard that you are also supposed to turn the phone off/on to re-connect to the tower. I don't know why that would even matter. Just when I get my settings the way I like them, there is an update that changes everything.

One of my friends has a dead spot in her sewing room with no reception if she just turns her head.

Concrete houses and metal roofs can interfere with reception too. Want to meet me behind the tool shed with these phones?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a dead zone at the end of island counter. It never worked there, and now we have metal roof, it hasn't improved.

Lol I'm with you. Our service provider is good in our area. I do have this bixby app that annoys me. I have tried everything to get rid of it. I use my phone for games and internet mostly. My bf always gets me a phone I dont understand. All i ask is I can play magic kingdoms...I'm Rachel and addicted!

Comment

I got a chuckle out of reading this. Sorry for your frustrations, ktdid. I have no desire to acquire a smart phone, or any of the new fangled phones. I'm still using a 20 y.o. flip phone. It is just for emergencies. I keep it turned off in my purse. Hey, it still works fine. We charge it once a month.

Comment

You probably didnt mean to be funny. But I sure had several laughs and grins. Thank you for it.

Comment

• Debbie Watters
          Debbie Watters commented
          Editing a comment
          Found it funny also ... I must have a warped sense of humor! Hopefully your problem will get resolved ... keep smiling!

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I haven't had any major issues with my MotoGX. We also use Consumer Cellular, and I have yet to find any place where my phone doesn't get service. That said, I hardly use my phone for web browsing, because my eyesight it too poor to even see many websites that are geared toward mobile devices. I can see email fine, but anything else I use my desktop.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• auntstuff
          auntstuff commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I have a laptop for that...

I'll agree on funny. i can feel the frustration.

I don't own a cell phone and if I did I can't get service at my house. My kids used to go on the roof or had to drive until they did. It's funny to see people come over , and walk around the yard and holding it up. Just like a commercial. lol
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Bless your heart! I mean that in the nicest of ways. Even more so, for dealing with Sprint.

I'll leave you with my Sprint mini drama. When Jim was in the Navy, first deployment came 4 days after he moved to FL, he joined the ship. So bills hadn't started to arrive. When he reached the ship, the 4 days and you'll be coming back to port turned into 4 months! He called his first shore time, and asked for us to start getting his bills to the point they'd be deducted automatically. Anyway, he had Sprint. He's in the middle of the Pacific, and they won't let me pay the bill, set up the bill for autopay or anything. We finally went to the store close to the house, oh man, I wish you could have seen the manager on the phone with customer service. He was giving them holy h---. "He can't come to the phone! He's in the middle of the Pacific defending your freedoms, you dumb a---." I still laugh thinking about how red that guys ears got! He finally got them to understand that we were looking out for Sprint's interest in getting paid, but what a nightmare it was. They were the only ones that gave me any static.

Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

ktdid, you are priceless! We acquired a 'smart phone' in Feb because that was the only way we could connect with our Fitbit. Since we had Tracfone for years we got a refurbished one for $79 (Galaxy 7J) from them. I have to agree that it is not as user friendly as I had hoped, but since we only use it occasionally it suits us. I agree that you cannot hear anyone a lot of the time when I try to answer it, but then I still have a landline and if it is important that is the number we give to our family/doctors/tradesmen. I still haven't figured out the email on it, but it is easier to use on my laptop anyway. If we hadn't gotten the Fitbits we would still be happy using the flip phone. Must say the $15/mo we pay Tracfone is pretty cheap and covers all our needs. Also there has never been a place we have traveled (coast to coast/north to south) where we ever had a problem with reception.
            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
            Aesop

Comment

I have TMobile and when we moved to where we are now, my phone didn't work at home. It only worked when I went about a mile down the road to the main highway. So TMobile sent me a booster to attach to the internet router. TMobile's map shows good reception at my house, by the way (Not!). Maybe Sprint can send you a booster. They shouldn't charge you for it- TMobile didn't charge me. I just have to return it if I don't need it sometime.
              ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
                Mimi_Howard commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe Sprint and T-Mobile merged... wonder if service will be better?

Yes it was meant to be sarcastic humor! may as well get a chuckle I'm tired of banging my head against the wall I don't look so good in bruises!! loved your story Katrina
              Kathryn
              Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

I got a kick from your posting. I have an LG supposed-smart phone capabilities. Well I don't really want to get emails on there, although I use it to send photos to my home computer. I use it mostly for texting to friends and family, calls not so much. I tell people I don't have it appended to my body, so if you want to talk to me, call the house phone.

I loaded the app to get severe weather alerts. This fails miserably. Neither my husband nor myself get them. Our provider says its the weather channel, and vice versa. Last summer, we were driving to restaurant, and I said look at that shelf cloud -- looks like tornado. No warning. While waiting for meals, everyone's phones are ringing, except ours. A tornado hit about 2 miles from where we were. The big issue of this was that the alert should have been sounded 10 mins earlier.

Also loaded the latest Covid alert -- took it off. It was draining my battery checking for notices, Also when at the hospital, it was going off.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

We have never had a smart phone. We are down to one flip phone right now with a $15 p/month bill for minutes. When my DH retired he totally stopped using a phone as he had to keep his phone on almost 24/7 for his job & he now hates phones. So, I am the one who carries the phone now. I keep it on vibrate at all times so he doesn't have to hear it ring when "scammers", etc. call. Sometimes I put it on ring if I am expecting an important call & want to make sure I hear it ring. The only weird thing my little flip phone does is a lot of times when someone calls, the call goes directly to voicemail & never even vibrates. Other than that I don't have any issues with my phone. This doesn't happen all the time so I'm thinking that the caller must have a "smart" phone that they can send the call directly to voice mail. I'm not sure about that because I don't know what all a smart phone can do. 🙂

Comment

Working...
                  X