Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, Good Mornings

Good Morning Everyone,

The sun's starting to rise and we're awaiting the 'cold front' that the weather man has promised. Seeing as it's supposed to be 4 degrees warmer than yesterday, I don't think it's coming today. Expecting a high of 97, I was hoping for an 8 in the tens place!

I doubt there will be much going on in my sewing room today. Jim's on the final push, he's doing his last laundry and cleaning out the truck now. His Dad would have a S*** fit if he saw the inside of his truck looking like it does most of the time. It's pretty disgusting, but I gave it to him because it fit three car seats and was a lot safer for the kids than that tiny Vibe.

Yesterday, Morgan's Mom had us over to celebrate the two birthdays- Esther's was yesterday, Jonathan's is in a couple of weeks and they'll be gone. It was nice to have a visit and cupcakes. Poor Zeke found the ants outside and was getting bit, so we left earlier than we had planned, which the dogs probably were glad of since they hadn't been fed their dinner. Gabby still won't go in the kitchen to eat if Pepper is in there after yesterday mornings kerfuffle.

Time to let the hounds loose in the back yard for a bit. Have a great day! Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Morning all,
    Sun is shining looks like it will be a nice day hopefully with less humidity.

No big plans for the holiday weekend just hanging around the house.

Kids will be returning back to school here next week hope all goes well with the plan the school district has implemented. My grandson starts his last year of college on the 8th, he has enough credits for early graduation and will take advantage of that and graduate in December. My granddaughter has decided to do all online as she is doing her Master's degree at a school in New York City and will graduate in May. Thankfully her internship is at a health/rehab facility here on the Island and she can bypass the city all together.

May go up to the sewing room and put away some things I purchased from my local quilt shop. She has gotten so many new things in the store that are too tempting.

Time for a cup of coffee so I'll wish everyone a good and safe weekend!
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Cathy ~ Long before we ever heard of COVID-19, my older son finished his BS degree as well as his advanced degree on line. He still was in the Air Force, working full time, living in MD & took classes from a college in NE. He studied criminal justice. He was in the OSI in the AF & has held high security jobs with the gov't.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Thanks for getting us going, Katrina. Well, it will be a busy morning for me in the kitchen. Time to make chicken soup again. I did the veg. prep. last eve. As soon as DH finishes his breakfast, I'll get the chicken cut up & on to cook. It's an all morning job by the time all the kettles, etc. get washed.

Yest. a.m. was DH's crown prep. It went okay. He has more crown work to be done, so I made future appts. After I brought him home & had a snack, I headed to the groc. store & Whole Foods. Since it was Friday, the stores were quite busy--plus it's a holiday week end. The weather is supposed to be hot today & tomorrow -- upper 90's & 100 deg. in some locations. Very hot for Sept. And then the polar plunge next week to the 30's & 40's. I see more nice weather in the 80's in the extended forecast.

I'm battling some critter that keeps digging under the end of our front porch cement slab. I suspect a rabbit. I poked a brick in the hole a couple days ago & it dug under next to that. I'm going to have to find a way to fill all that in so nothing can get under there. It probably needs cemented in, which is not something I can do. I'll try the bricks first, but I'll need to buy them. I know Lowe's carries them.

Well, I have a busy day ahead of me. Enjoy your holiday week end.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Joy, you have not mentioned the wildfires recently. Have they finally gotten them under control?

Morning! I am trying to create this post on my phone...I miss my desk top computer.

I have been in Arkansas for 2 weeks; I have been "camping" in the new rental for a week now. I started the new job on August 24th. I feel at home, but my sewing provisions and family are still in Vermont.

DH, Halgal13 and sweet Dottie dog, with the rest of our possessions should arrive on Sept. 19th....oh, to have patience. Lord, help.

But, it seems I am more at peace, not near as stressed and paranoid since leaving Vermont. Granted, I did meet some nice people of the quilt guild that I belonged to. But, with limitations on jobs, housing, and the high cost of living with no hope....I am thankful my family and I are moving on to a better life with sweeter people.

And, I can't wait to set up the new sewing space and feel settled.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Bouse
      Bouse commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovely to hear from you. Those two weeks will just fly by until you are reunited again.

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      This is such great news! I know you'll be glad when the rest of the family gets there. (Enjoy the peace and quiet while you can!)

• shermur
      shermur commented
      Editing a comment
      I am trying to see EPP.....I had to break down and purchase a cross stitch kit at JoAnns today. I am glad it's a long weekend....but, I look forward to work on Tuesday.

Good Morning all,

Yesterday was a very nice day, high was around 78 but the humidity is starting to go up. We are in for a storm on Sunday I think. Tuesday we are supposed to get cold, 30's for a low and a high of around 48. Nice time to do some hand quilting maybe.

I worked on the last wallhanging and got that finished last night. No work in the sewing room and I didn't get the tomatoes done either. I ended up running around town yesterday trying to find deionized water for a test kit for the marine aquarium. After talking with the guy at the store that we get our fish stuff I decided to stop the running around and we will use the R/O water until we receive the deionized water that I ordered. I also had to get Dave some good scrubber sponges. He uses those to clean the algae from the glass on the aquariums and the ones he had were falling apart. Not a good thing to have floating in the aquarium.

Today I will do up the tomatoes for sure and I'm sure I have a bunch more outside to pick. I am going to call my daughter to see if they have any plans for the weekend. I'd like to spend a little more time with her and the family, fun time, not work time. Jennifer gave 3 of the blankets I made for her daycare to the three 5 year-olds as yesterday was their last day. They were so cute. I asked Jennifer to get some pictures of them with the blankets. Jennifer has had Nolan and Mallory, twins, since they were 8 weeks old. Their sister Vivian just came this year, she is adopted. Mallory picked out the Piggy quilt and said "This is so comfy" and Vivian was so happy that both she and Mallory had the same backing! Nolan said "I get the dinosaurs?!" I need to be at Jennifer's next Tuesday to watch the daycare while she goes to a doctor appointment. I'll be going early so we can give out the remaining blankets as everyone should be there.

Nothing else planned for today or this weekend. I hope to spend a lot of time in the sewing room. I'd like to get the remaining blocks sewn for the Irish Change. It is going much faster than I thought. We will see how quick it goes once I start the quilting.

Time for coffee and some breakfast. Have a great weekend!
    Carlie

Comment

Good morning. Nice and sunny here. It was beautiful out in the garden this morning. So peaceful.

I got a text from Kathryn this morning that there was no baseball game for Henry today. So, since the weather is so nice, I think I might see what needs my attention in the gardens for a bit. I do want to spend time on a Secret Santa gift too.

Yesterday we did a bit of shopping at the farm. We got what we needed for the week and then also extra for the freezer. Hubby went to the grocery store for a few things that we needed and then also got some extras for the "winter pantry" as we usually call it. This year I think we will call it the "in case we are in lockdown again" pantry. While he was at the store, I made some pizza sauce for last nights homemade pizza dinner and also made a batch of peanut butter cookies. I had been promising him some of those for a couple weeks. I guess even though I can't remember what day or date it is half the time, my brain seems to know that fall is coming and is giving me the urge to cook and bake .

Enjoy your day everyone. Have a wonderful weekend. Be well. Stay safe.
      Last edited by Ginny B; September 5, 2020, 08:20 AM.
      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning,

Still hot here and some cooler temps would be nice. I hope the rain holds off for a while as I have lots of errands on the list today. My machine is ready for pick-up. They replaced parts and it did sound much better yesterday. I'm interested to see it in person and discuss the diagnosis. Then I'll pick up flowers to take to the cemetery for mom, aunt and cousins. It is a day of reflection for loved-ones. Last errand will be to pick up the grocery order. I'll invite DH to ride along with me on my adventures.

I am checking with other vendors to see if the fabrics I need are in stock for shipping. Two other companies are now sending emails that the back-order fabrics are no longer available. I am hopeful to finish the list and start cutting fabrics. The pattern needs to be followed in sequence as the blocks are made with previous units.

A special thank you to those that start our daily thread. Happy Stitches to all!

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          It will be nice to have Monique back to get us started most mornings. I've missed her daily posts, but it sounds like she & Les have had a wonderful trip.

Good morning!

It is going to be a beautiful day today -- high near 80 and sunny. Temps were cooler yesterday (low 70's).

The furnace guy was here yesterday at 8am to tune up the air conditioner. A mouse made a home in the outside unit. Fortunately, the critter did not chew any wires. It did, however, do its business all over the capacitor, corroding the part...which had to be replaced. My sister called around 11:30 am to let me know the electrician was at Mom's house. She was still in her PJ's and a little put out they did not call to let us know he was on the way. I don't have a lot of sympathy there -- she knew the appointment was for between 11 am - 1 pm. Turns out they emailed me, which didn't do anyone any good because I was on my work computer and my phone does not make a noise when new email comes in.

The cost of all the little electrical jobs together is, IMHO, a rather large sum. I have no idea if the price is competitive or not. My sister had a good idea and suggested I call the local heritage home program. I used them to find a roofer last year. They should be able to recommend someone for another estimate, or at least be able to tell me if the one I have is competitive or not. The guy who was at the house yesterday asked me to call him before we put Mom's house on the market, he is looking to downsize and said he would make us an offer. Our area is a seller's market right now -- houses get snapped up pretty quickly.

Today I don't need to worry about any of that. I get to spend it in the sewing room! That Halloween quilt won't quilt itself and I want to get it done before October.

Time for a second cup of tea and some breakfast. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          It struck me as odd that the electrician is interested in your mom's house. I'd get a second opinion, too.

• JulieC
          JulieC commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe he wants to buy the house to flip it? That would make sense. The kitchen needs updating (dates back to the 70's or maybe the 60's). I refuse to go through the hassle of updating it, the new owner can do that.

• Paisley
          Paisley commented
          Editing a comment
          If you’re going to sell it, don’t do ANYTHING else to it. It’s a Seller’s market out there, and anything that needs to be done for health and safety will come up on the inspection. At that time, work with the buyer to make any repairs.

It's a beautiful day here. A bit cool in the house this morning which is very pleasant. I've actually been having a bit of a pity party this morning, feeling sorry that it's a holiday weekend and DH is still in the hospital. He seems to be in kind of a holding pattern - some things are better and some things are still a concern. But the liver is doing well so that is definitely good news. Now to figure out why all the other stuff is happening so he can come home. DS is working all weekend so I'm on my own. I think I'm going to head to Amish country in a little while to pick up some produce and a few things at the bulk food store. I'd also like to maybe find some mums for the baskets in the front yard. There's a quilt store nearby too that I might wander into. I think it will be good to get out for a while. Our weather is supposed to be nice all weekend. It will be nice to have the windows open and the fresh air in the house. Hope you all have a wonderful day and enjoy the holiday weekend.

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I envy your cooler temperatures! I do hope your DH is moving more towards being on the mends. I'm glad to hear his new liver is doing well. Now to get the rest of him up to snuff, as Dad would say.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m sorry to hear that your DH is still in the hospital. It’s good that his liver is doing well. I will continue praying for both of you. Hugs....

• Cokie
          Cokie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, everyone. I talked to DH tonight and he finally had the drain removed from his chest so he was very happy! That was one of the big hurdles to getting him ready to come home. I'd be surprised if he came home yet this weekend but I think I can see it on the horizon! I found some green beans, tomatoes, and pickling cucumbers today. I made dill pickles tonight and am going to cook the green beans in the crockpot tomorrow. I picked up some baking supplies and spices, and I found some gorgeous mums too. It was good to get out - I feel better now. :-) Joy, wish you were closer so we could visit Amish country together. It's one of my favorite places. I love seeing the horses and buggies - some people find them annoying but not me. It's very peaceful there.

Good morning everyone. Hope all have a good Labor Day weekend.

I decided my next project was going to be my Civil War Comfort Quilt, which I did the prototype earlier from fabric I bought at Joann's. The real quilt is being done with Kansas Troubles fabric, which is the first time I've worked with them. They are nice, but has a really soft feel to them. So far no real surprises with it, but I do like my color choices. I will likely have it done today, so I'll post it then.

My sister wants me to make her a twin-sized bed quilt. I love my sister, but I don't feel comfortable doing something like that, so I suggested that Cheryl do it. In going over what she wanted, she mentioned that she has a quilt that our grandmother did that was Grandmother's Flower Garden. So I worked about four hours last night trying to come up with something that would honor that tradition but yet be a little more "modern." It's not a classic Grandmother's Flower Garden, but I think it has visual appeal. Here's what I came up with. Pricing the fabric, the cheapest I could find (that would be of any quality) is $117, plus I suggested an extra hundred for our time. Not sure if she will go for it or not, but I'll present her with it today.

Rob
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• Cokie
          Cokie commented
          Editing a comment
          I was going to suggest the half-hexis too! I love that pattern.

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          We actually figured it out. You sew it in strips.

Rob

• Paisley
          Paisley commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m just getting back here and see you figured it out. You'll like that die.

Hi again ~ It's good to sit down for a few min. I spent the morning in the kitchen. This batch of chicken soup made 16 qts. They are stored in the freezer. I'll need to defrost the freezer before the next batch; the frost built-up is getting quite thick. Glad that job is done for a while. I defrost the freezer twice a year, in the spring & in the fall.

Well, the heat is on! Our thermometer reads 102! It's scorchin' out there! I record the high & low each day on the calendar. When the summer is over, I'll tabulate all of our 90 & 100 deg. days. I think this area may have set a record with all our high temps. this year.

Carlie ~ You asked about the smoke. We had blue skies & little to no smoke odor for several days. Yest. it was in the air again; one cold smell it. The foothills were barely visible, & Longs Peak not visible at all. I didn't check the wildfire updates, but I know containment was good on the 2 fires in western CO. Not sure about the Cameron Peak Fire or the other one up in Grand Co. The weather patterns were expected to bring more smoke from the west coast.

I have a load of laundry in the washer I need to put in the dryer. I think I'll be taking it easy the rest of the day.

Comment

• Paisley
          Paisley commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy have you ever made a temperature quilt? That would be beautiful with your big changes from Summer to Winter.

Paisley ~ No, I haven't made a temperature quilt. The reason we get such fluctuations in temps. here is the thin atmosphere. The air cools & heats up more quickly than at lower elevations. We live at just under a mile high.

Comment

Working...
        X