Thursday Morning Greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Morning Greetings!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Today is DS#2's BD; he's 52 y.o. Where did the years go?! My older son will be 54 next mo. I'm hoping we can get together soon for lunch. He's so busy working, even on the week ends, that I seldom get to see him, & he lives just across town. Last week end he & a friend drove down to Rye, CO to visit Bishop's Castle. You can look it up & see the pics for yourself. It was one man's dream to build it; he's spent his whole life working on it. The story is interesting to read.

Yest. was beautiful; it warmed up to 94 deg. The painter came at 9:15, & his helper came at 10. They both worked all day. They finished the prep work then started painting. Two entire sides of the house are completed & part of the garage door. They'll be back today. That new latex satin finish paint is an exact color match & looks so fresh & nice.

There were 11 of us for our BSF fellowship lunch yest. at a local restaurant. It was so good to see everyone & catch up. IMO, the food was just okay--nothing to rave about. I got the fish & chips, but wished later I'd ordered either the chimichanga or the chicken fried steak. Bible study starts Sept. 16 on Zoom.

After lunch, I took my car through the touchless car wash, then bought a few items at Safeway (not my usual place to shop) & was home by 1:30. Yest. eve. I watched the 2 hr. finale of Tough as Nails. The winner got $200,000. & a 2020 Ford pick-up. Believe me, they worked hard for it!

Good Morning. It’s dreary and a little foggy this morning. The sun should shine today.

I hope to get the rest of the rows sewn on my Irish Change quilt today. If not, tomorrow for sure. I will need to make a trip to my quilter before long. My next project may be placemats. I watch a video a while back by Donna Jordan with an interesting technique. The perfect Jellyroll is sitting on a shelf in the sewing room. Or maybe I will pull out another UFO.

I wish we would hear from Monique.

Joy, did the bees go after the painters? At the rate they are going they will be done in no time. A fresh coat of paint on your house is really nice. Our house is cedar and is stained rather than painted. We have been working on cleaning it so we can put a fresh coat of sealer on it but our weather hasn’t cooperated lately.

Wishing everyone a good day. Hugs....

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope! The bees still are there. The painters will be done before I can get an order back from Amazon. I think they will get most of the house finished today.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I checked FB and no postings there either by Monique. The last I heard from her, they were safe across the lake from the smoke and fires. There were moving.

Good Morning Joy and those who follow.

Jim has left on errands. He's stopping at Lowe's for 'stuff to hook the sliding doors of their bedroom. A method to hang Jonathan and Esther's curtains and probably some other projects. Then he's heading to the camper to start putting all of the stuff we dumped in there away. It was too hot to do much else in there since they don't have the power hooked up. Around 11 he's signing his paper work. I told him to make sure they had everything right before he signed. Then he'll go back to the house to let the cleaning crew in. Then he'll be done. Can I say, I'm glad I'm at home?

I guess, I'll be able to spend some time in the sewing room, depending on Gabby and Pepper. Right now, they're napping. Pepper was upset it took Gabby so long to eat her breakfast, now Gabby won't go in the kitchen. I have a feeling she'll be sticking pretty close to me for the next week.

Joy, Mike wants to get our car washed. By the time he gets home the clouds are building and by the end of the afternoon we'll have a rain storm. He's like, if I could get it done and in the garage before it rains... lol, good luck with that.

Have a great day everyone! Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our blessings.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning!

The day is starting out a little overcast. High today around 80 with a chance of rain. A cold front is supposed to come through tonight and tomorrow we will have a high around 72.

The electrician came out to Mom's house yesterday. We gave him the list and he went through the house. I told him I want to make sure everything is up to code before we sell the house. We had to add a couple of outlets to the list, as they are not up to code (I asked about the one in the kitchen). Turns out our list of little things equals a decent sized job and the senior electrician needs to come out to review what needs done before they can give us an estimate. He is supposed to come out tomorrow morning. The guy said he didn't think the cost would be "that bad," but "not that bad" to one person can be an OMG to another. Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

I need to run up to the grocery store this morning. I have a lot of errands, etc., to run so I took the day off. Today is going to be very busy. I am really looking forward to the weekend and spending some quality time in the sewing room.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Our house was built in 1972. At that time they were using aluminum wiring instead of copper. We've had to have several of our outlets repaired. This whole neighborhood was built with aluminum wiring! I wonder how many pennies they really saved?! If we ever sell our house, all those outlets will have to be repaired, which I know would not be cheap. Or maybe like carpeting, we could discount the cost of that & a new owner could deal with it.

I still have several old appliances that do not have polarized plugs. They still work. One is a hand held elec. mixer; it was a wedding gift in 1966. I also have a food processor that must be at least 35 yrs. old. It's amazing how long some of those old products have lasted.

Good morning. The sun is making an appearance now. When I first woke up, it was very overcast and it looks like we had a bit of rain during the night.

We have our internet back. Seems a power surge when the electricity came back on last week after a short power interruption fried the internet router. So they replaced it and then I had the task of connecting all the devices to the new router.

As long as the weather holds out, I hope to have lunch with Ceil today. I will also spend some time in my sewing room. I've got masks to make, Secret Santa gifts to complete and Christmas gifts and new baby items to get moving on.

Have a good day everyone.
      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        Couple years ago a transformer blew in our area. My son and DIL were living in my house at the time, he went around and unplugged everything, flipping switches off, so when power was restored nothing would get fried. Well he forgot to flip a switch, one that was for the the garage door opener, back on, he thought it had gotten fried when the door would not go up. Fast forward, they move out and I move back into my house. One day I look over and see the conduit coming from one switch, my eyes follow it and then my brain kicks in. My late hubby had it wired separately so when we would go on vacation he could cut the power and it could not be opened by a stray opener. Yep I turned it on, pushed the button and up/down went the door.

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you have your electronics plugged into a surge protector? I was told by a tech guy that if one does have a surge, the effectiveness of the surge protector mostly has been used up & one should replace the surge protector.

• Ginny B
        Ginny B commented
        Editing a comment
        Joy, actually the modem was plugged into the surge protector but for some reason the wifi mesh router was not. So I suppose that was the issue. And yes, we will be replacing the surge protector.

Good Morning all,

Yesterday was a very nice day, got up to about 78 but humidity stayed down. Today dawned at 60 and rather windy. Gusts up to 25 mph. I am already at my daughter’s to help with daycare. She only has her littles today so four kids. The one under 1, two that are about 2 and a 1 1/2 year old. I probably will only be here until nap time today.

I was able to get a few more blocks done on the Irish Change quilt. I have been concerned that it might be too dark but put what I have on the design board and took a picture. Seems okay. What do you all think? Too dark?

Time to get busy helping my daughter. Have a great day everyone.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Carlie

Comment

• Ginny B
        Ginny B commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think it is too dark at all. I really like the colors you chose.

• KarenC
        KarenC commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job on the quilt colors.

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the positive comments. It really helps to get those second, third, fourth etc opinions. 😆

Good Morning to all. What's that saying... do as I say, not as I do. Should have listened to myself, for the only part of my body that is not sore this morning are my toes. But the day is just starting, I could always drop something on them or stub them. I decided to finish pulling up the carpet in my sewing room yesterday. So much better in there now. No more sticking of the chair or pins that hide in the carpet just waiting to torpedo my feet.

My son came over last night and brought over the display cabinet from my dads, oh my oh my... the back is mirror and so much reflection on the glass sides and doors. Got to fill that up quickly so I don't have to see myself. Not sure if I will get decorative items for storing my sewing notions or make fabric ones for case. But definitely now another item on my to do list.

Today... clean and start filling up the case and get laundry done! Seems summer weather is not over yet. Heat advisory over the weekend. Time for more coffee and get moving (slowly for sure 😁)

Please stay safe!!

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        The dresser mirror in my BR reflects all the lighted windows & deck lights from the neighbor's house, so I have to keep a towel draped over my mirror. That house was built after we moved here. It's a 2-story house with many windows. The previous neighbors were up all hours of the night with the house all lit up. These neighbors leave the deck lights on until ~2 a.m., sometimes all night. I don't pull the drapes in the summer months because of needing the windows open for circulation. I like to sleep in a dark room. The towel works to prevent the reflection of all the lights. I have a full length mirror in the hall I can use when I need it.
        Last edited by JCY; September 3, 2020, 11:55 AM.

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        The things we do... neighbor's son likes to park in front of my house and his car windows are at such an angle that at certain times during the day I have to pull my curtains over my kitchen sink. Blinding light as the sun bounces off it.

Good morning,

Playing in the sewing room with fabrics from a quilt project. It was a kit of a local light-house and tropical designs that I bought when first getting back into sewing. It has multiple fabric pieces and sizes so they needed to be sorted and marked into the blocks so I don't end up short. The good news is that there is always another fabric to use if needed. It took a while for me to grasp that concept in quilting.

Can I add one more vehicle into the car wash mix? I really need to get DH truck washed for him. He's not driving it right now so I drive it once or twice a week. Today seems like a perfect day to do that for him.

Joy, Nice to hear that the painters are working on your project a little earlier than planned.

Enjoy your day!

Comment

Good morning!! I'm clocked in to work, it's been a busy week. Taking a short break.

Last night not on purpose I ran across some fabric panels I'm in love with!! I've never seen them before. Thomas Kincade did a line of Disney. I'm buying three today. I want two more that are harder to find Hawaii and Paris but not willing to pay the over priced prices yet. The other three I want I found for $10 each. So paying over $15 for the others I'll keep looking.

I have reconnected with my oldest daughter this week. We have been estranged for over a year. She needed to grow up a little and realize I was not against her but I can't support her lifestyle. She was using all welfare services when she is perfectly capable of working. I'm glad we gave reconnected and hope to see my grand daughter soon!!

The weather is still ugly hot here in TX. We're way south in El Paso. Looks like I'll be working from home for the rest of the year as our cases aren't getting better. I feel so blessed to have a great job but my heart goes out to the small businesses here.

We have a three day weekend this week end and I'm going to work on applique all weekend. I have so much to tack down. I do love how they turn out!

We do have to buy a new fridge this weekend. The one here has the freezer inside the fridge and keeps building up ice. It's old and I think the seals are shot. Ohhh new appliance!! Lol

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks so much!!

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm glad you were able to reconnect with your daughter. It is so hard to "let them go" in order for them to realize we are not against them. I've dealt with that for many years with my son. He may finally be starting to understand but I'm not holding my breath

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          I so understand about those children, our son seems as if he would be fine to never hear from us again but there are those precious grands I don't want to lose sight of. We keep in touch because of them. Our fridge moans a lot but so far keeps on working, one day soon....

Hello everyone,
        We've switch over to cool weather and I'm enjoying it very much. Although today is overcast and dreary looking, the temp is just right.

I've been very busy making the borders for a quilt. I decided to challenge myself a little, and I'm using three fabrics (yay got to raid the stash) and then I'll miter the corners. It's been a while, so I've been cruising YouTube for the technique. But, the sewing has been simple and I can turn on my music and just go. The only thing that slowed me down was sewing black fabric with black thread on a dark day.

Tomorrow is a big day for me...my cast comes off and I'll find out if I need another for a few more weeks. A boot that I can take off is beginning to look real good. I was able to go online to my medical account and view the actual MRI images of the fracture and I was really impressed that I could do that kind of damage without having fallen or had an accident.

Our DD is coming home tonight for the holiday. Hopefully she'll arrive before I toddle off to bed. We're going to celebrate her B day early since we don't know when she'll be home next. I made a pot of her favorite beef stew (comfort food) and this afternoon I'll make scratch biscuits. Tomorrow I'll be making a chocolate cake with fluffy white frosting. Having her home is a great excuse to cook and eat.

In a few minutes I'll be having another cup of coffee and I think it's going to taste way too good and be gone way too fast........

Hope you have a good afternoon.
        Barbara

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Donna Jordan has a good tutorial on mitered corners. I still haven't challenged myself to make one.

• Rhonda K
          Rhonda K commented
          Editing a comment
          In case you didn't see this one. I like that the math part is included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWQABZwis8

I have to go into work tomorrow to tell my boss that I won't be coming back to work for a couple more months even though the company I work for has decided to end its furlough. I have a letter from my physician that confirms I am high risk, so I should still be able to get my unemployment. Of course I know I'm eventually going to have to go back, but I want to wait a couple of months to see how things play out. Plus, if I come back within 90 days I won't lose my seniority or pay rate.

I used to work with a wonderful Italian grandmother who could cook or bake cardboard and make it taste wonderful. Like me she was diabetic so the items she baked she brought in but could never eat. I decided since I have to go back in tomorrow, I would take a page from her book and take something in. So this morning after eating breakfast I made these. I love no-bake cookies, but of course I'm not supposed to eat any. However, I noticed there were 13 cookies, so I'll need to eat one just to keep bad luck at bay. Cool rationalization, huh?

Got two rows of my Regiments quilt done while Cheryl labeled all her Accuquilt dies with a label maker we ordered from Staples. For anyone who was unsure just how big an idiot I am, we had ordered one before, but I had logged into my old rewards account and didn't realize that our old address was still listed. I thought I had changed all that after we moved, but evidently I forgot that one. Anyway, the one I ordered was sent to our old address, which there is no one there now. I called Staples and they said there was no way it could be redirected to our new address, but the courier might drop it off at the post office if it was not deliverable, which, of course, they did not. So we've paid twice for a label maker. Every darn thing in this house is going to get a label. I'll get my money's worth!

I'm embarrassed to say how many dies we have. When we bought it in 2014 I told Cheryl we needed to keep it down to a few dies that could do double duty or would be needed for more than one quilt. Today, we have 74 dies. We wait for sales, and when we go to QuiltWeek Eleanor Burns has them usually 25 percent off, but the amount of money we have invested in Accuquilt would finance a small country. They do get used often, but boy!

Have a great day all!

Rob
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
          Mimi_Howard commented
          Editing a comment
          OH how I love those cookies...

• Dove
          Dove commented
          Editing a comment
          Those cookies are one of my favorites! I make them in a 9x12 pan (or whatever that size is) and cut them like brownies. Much easier to store. You've made me start craving them now!

How long do the dies last for your Accuquilt? I thought I read somewhere once that they wear out after awhile. Is that true?

• Rob the HOAQ
          Rob the HOAQ commented
          Editing a comment
          You do have to keep them clean by pulling the thread out, but even the oldest die we own (the value die) still works fine. I've heard too about dies wearing out, but I think a lot of that is operator error like not storing them correctly or being exceptionally rough with them. That's not to say that every report of one being worn out isn't true, but we have yet to experience that.

What I really like about Accuquilt is how easy it makes preparing fabric for quilting. On my Crossroads quilt I needed something like 350 or so blocks, and it took me all of an hour to cut them out. Plus, the cuts are all square and straight.

The cost can scare some away, but like I said it's been rare that we have ever paid full price for a die. The key is to figure out how often you would use the die. Strip cutter dies tend to be the most expensive, but you can get many things from them, obviously beginning with strips. You also can get squares and on the newer dies angled pieces as well. The most we've ever paid for a die is for the Double Wedding Ring die, but looking at how hard it would be to cut one compared to doing it with the Accuquilt made it feasible to have it, given that I love that type of quilt.

Rob
          Last edited by Rob the HOAQ; September 4, 2020, 08:15 AM.

Good morning, everyone! I'm sorry to have been AWOL for so long, but it was all for happy reasons. Happy Reason#1 is that DD#4 had her Baby#3, so we've been having #1 and #2 over quite a bit. Life is good.

My hubby is now semi-retired. He has always had very stressful jobs in the IT field, so the idea of full retirement sounded like heaven to him. Then the powers-that-be asked him to stay on half time. When he said "No Way," they pointed out that with COVID ruling the day, he can't do all the things he'd planned for retirement: visiting National Parks, going to baseball games, etc. So he took them up on their offer and will now work only seven hours a day, three days a week. Towards the end, those same powers-that-be started releasing him from required meetings, stopped adding to his plate, and really paved the way for semi-retirement. They've been super good about things. Of course, hubby took two weeks vacation between full-time work and part-time work, so he is super relaxed right now.

I am over at my mother's house twice a week, which is proving to be lovely. I've re-connected with my step-sisters, which is also lovely. I always said that the best part of my mom's re-marriage was getting some incredible step-sisters. As we all got married, had kids, and moved away from each other, we did lose touch, but now I live in the same neck of the woods as two of them. Again, life is good.

I hope to be more present here on the M* forum. I've missed you all, and I pray for you every day. Blessings to everyone!

Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Ginny B
          Ginny B commented
          Editing a comment
          Well congratulations on the new grandbaby! How wonderful. And it's great that you are reconnecting with your step-sisters. You have been missed but it seems you were having a wonderful time.

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          So nice to hear that life is good for you.

• Dove
          Dove commented
          Editing a comment
          Congratulations on the new grandbaby! How wonderful that you have reconnected with your stepsisters. I have one sister who recently moved from VA to SC and is now no longer within driving distance. So I only see her at Christmas time now. My brother lives in MA. I haven't met him yet-- our mom gave him up for adoption when he was a baby. She wasn't married at the time. We just found each other recently, then corona came along preventing travel.

Good day everyone,

I'm finally getting to post, its been an up=down month. I visited mom many times during the summer inside & our. The last day I visited, I got email that an employee on her wing tested positive. My test was about to expire, but it was suggested to get tested. I went with DH & a Gf who also visited mom during past 2 weeks. Our results were fast but nerve-racking still. I am not sure I feel safe doing indoor visits again, but then with colder weather, I may have no choice but just talk on phone or do video calls. She will be 97 on Sept 8th.

I got quite a bit of sewing done in August, but that is now on hold. I sliced my left knuckle with a 60mm rotary cutter on Monday. Spent 4 hours in ER to get 4 stitches, a splint and a tetanus shot. I need to dress it every day and remove the knot on disappearing sutures in 14 days. It will be an ugly scar, a stark reminder to avoid cutting when not focused.

I am trying to catch up on all the posts. Lots going on everywhere. Have a good day and long weekend.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• Ginny B
          Ginny B commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh no Suzanne! I have nicked my knuckle occasionally with a rotary cutter but have never needed to get stitches. Hope you heal quickly.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you ever wear those special gloves we all are supposed to use when using a rotary cutter? I bought a pair when I first started quilting, but the number of times I've worn them probably can be counted on one hand. Hope you hand heals quickly.

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          So sorry about your hand, I cut a finger not long ago and understand both the reason for the injury and the discomfort though mine was not that bad.

Lady Grey.JPG good morning. i am finally calm. I opened my side door only to find a lovely female cat (kitten) i'd finally decided to take to the pet shelter so they could find her a foster home (she was on her 2nd pregnancy) and then a forever home. Well I forgot to make a donation so i called them and left my number. After her arrival back at my door (they fix them (got rid of her babies) and dump them back again) I answered the phone and was not nice to the woman calling. no donation from me. I had to work up faith in them because my son had called and they told him they only had 3 cats and could easily find her a foster parent.
        anyway, i now have a third cat! sigh. they also cut off the whole tip of her ear.
        My day is calming down now. went shopping for a bit and am back enjoying the sunshine that just showed up. September will be interesting weather time I think. Everyone have a great day and stay calm, Ommmmm.

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, she's precious! So cute. I'm sure you don't need another kitty, but she looks like she needs a forever home from someone who will love her & take care of her. Bonnie Hunter recently acquired a stray cat that someone probably dumped off in her neighborhood. She's had her checked over by the vet. No chip. They named her Ivy, & she loves Zoey Jo, Bonnie's rescue dog.

• Dove
          Dove commented
          Editing a comment
          Poor kitty! Thank you for taking her in! I hope things work out ok with her.

They clip the tip of the ear off on feral cats when they are neutered. Many cats are fixed and then dumped again and the next owner brings the car in to be spayed and then when they operate they find it's already been done. The tipped ear is a universal sign that the cat has already been spayed/ neutered. Saves a lot of unnecessary operations. All my ferals have had the ear tips cut off when they were fixed.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• MAMSAN
          MAMSAN commented
          Editing a comment
          Feral cats don't usually make good pets. So after the spaying,vaccinating,and ear clipping, they are returned to the outside.
          Many of them find their way back to where they were rescued.
      Working...
      X