Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ So much cooler here yest. High temp. was only 80, compared to 100 the day before. We had a late afternoon thunder storm with rain that cooled things off considerably. One loud clap of thunder startled us. I went around & closed all the windows. I don't like any windows open when there's lightning ongoing. It's only 59 this a.m. There are no 90's in the 5-day forecast. 😊

My major accomplishment yest. was baking DH's spelt bread. Since it was a cooler day, after the bread was done, I baked a pizza for my lunch. I watched Karen Brown's latest video about working with striped fabrics. There are some good ideas & tips in this one. I did not even watch Jenny's tutorial; I'm not a fan of that particular block. I really don't care for wonky.

No plans yet for today. I'll be back later to post today's quilt pics.

Went fishing with DH in the rowboat yesterday morning and I caught a big ol sea trout and an ugly stingray. The stingray was quite a fight but such a scary looking creature. DH was a wonder killing it and bringing it into the boat for me. I would have cut the line if I had been alone I think!! Anyway, an exciting morning and a great dinner.
    DH is having his eye surgery (catarac with stints for narrow angle) on Monday, followup Tuesday, second eye Wed., follow up Thursday, more followup the next monday. Lots of trips to town.
    Weather here is getting the rain from hurricane Laura thisafternoon so the humidity is a whopper today. Cooling off tomorrow.
    I need to get outside this morning and do some weedeating before it reaches into the 90's.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm surprised your husb. is having his cataract surgeries so close together. I thought one needed maybe a month between the surgeries.

• grammaterry
      grammaterry commented
      Editing a comment
      Its emergency surgery because of the narrow angles. They are causing pressure behind the eye and left untreated they can cause irreversible blindness. We have already waited almost a month for an opening. The initial exam person wanted it done that day but we couldn't get a scheduled appointment

Good morning!! I'm up before the sun today. I got up at 4 now it's 6 and I give up on going back to sleep. I'm so happy it's the weekend. I plan on sewing all weekend. I need to finish arranging the living room, Daniel will have to move the super heavy stuff but well get it done! I also need to put the film on the kitchen windows and put up my proper curtains. I'll shoot to accomplish those two items...in between sewing of course. I have a basket to finish, a couple secert santa projects and my sons gifts.
    Daniel is making room so I can keep my long arm set up. Yay! I need to make a cover for it. Always got something going.

It's ugly hot here. I'm so ready for fall and bug season to be over. I did mail off three packages this week, it was busy even at night at the self help machine. I went after Hobby lobby closed it was late, after 8. I'm hoping stuff will start to stay open later...I'll never understand the need to close everything early. There would be less crowds during the day as some us prefer to shop at night. It's not like COVID gets worse at night...imho. we adapt though. It's a rush sometimes to get everything done by 8pm. ISince not much is open after 8 here except food places. I need that mental down time after work, I have a high stress job.

Wishing everyone a safe and lovely day. I hope everyone in the south has recovered from the storm. Communities tend to pull together to get damages taken care of. We are a good country in that regard. Pcbatiks glad you all are safe!!
    Joy I'm with you, I'm not a wonky quilter either. I like good ole traditional designs. I will go nuts with applique though!
    Rachel
    Last edited by Momofmonsters5; August 29, 2020, 07:36 AM. Reason: Correct name

Comment

Good Morning Joy,

I found Jenny's tutorial yesterday interesting on how she put all of those blocks on point. It was still the same as the charms on point, but huge! She demonstrated on plain layer cakes not wonkified. The wonky blocks did give the quilt some movement. Not something I would attempt.

Yesterday, The Snyder Man came and did the fall check up and fixed the drain pan, replaced the wrapping on the pipes into the house. Ev erything looked great. I asked what sized unit it was, if it used Freon, if I should have them put in a concrete pad when I have to get a new unit. Then I told him I was old and might ask the same questions in 6 months when they come back. lol He also told about one experience he'd had. Put in a new unit and had to go back 3 days later and replace it. Naturally, Dad took over my mouth, "Must have been built on a Monday." He looked at me strange, so I explained, Dad's logic- hangover Monday.

I managed to get some of the block A corner pieces done. I decided to do sets of 16, by the time I get those 4 patches together, my shoulders and neck are ready for a break. My Husky is starting to act up, so I'm want to get those done before I take it in the shop. After all of the quilts I've done this year, I totally get why it wants some attention. (It's like the feed dogs are debating whether they want to engage or not, even using leaders)

Not sure what today will bring. Carl, next door, worked on the fence last night. The bulk trash still hasn't picked up. It's due next Wednesday. It's so frustrating! I know Carl has been calling, too. We'll see what happens today. Jim added his mattress to the pile yesterday. He brought Josiah and Jonathan. Josiah has decided he loves Gabby. They're really cute together. Jonathan was kind of jealous, but Josiah had a bit of his sandwich leftover. You know who Gabby wanted to be around.

Today, Jim picks up the camper. He's going to take it to an office park near his in-laws to practice driving and parking. Boy can't park the truck, I don't know what he is thinking. Anyway, the closing on the house is next week. They will be missed.

Time to get busy doing something. I pulled together the next set of blocks to stitch last night. It's just waiting on me. Have a great day. Prayers for those in need, and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Katrina ~ If we needed any kind of work done on our cars, DH never would schedule anything for a Monday (possible hang-overs) or Friday (antsy for the week end). I think there is some truth to that theory.

• Paisley
        Paisley commented
        Editing a comment
        My Dad used to tell us to check the tag inside the car door and make sure it wasn’t completed on a Friday (workers were eager to start the weekend) or a Monday (same reason - “Hangover Monday”). Thanks for the smiles and memories of “one of those lessons”.

It was good to hear from Pam, so glad all survived the wrath of Hurricane Laura. I hope the tree destruction can be repaired quickly to avoid further damage. We have had a tree on our house, happily there was no water damage. We have had rain and overcast skies from Laura but lucky to not have anything severe.🍀

I finally got my hair cut, it makes me look years younger👵 [to me anyway🧓]. I had not wanted to go out before our trip but DH wanted to get a flu shot so we did that yesterday then got some lunch, slightly sore arm but nothing else.
      I got the fabric order I was waiting for to finish the border on a Christmas quilt, I matched the print and used some school glue to hold it in place, I hope to get that sewn to the top today so I can figure to finished dimensions and buy some backing. I need backing for 2 tops already and will need batting soon. Please have a sale someone.🤗

Comment

Good Morning. I'm so relieved that we heard from Pam and to know that she and her family are all safe.

Not sure what today will bring, but a trip to the bank this morning for sure. Since our bank moved away in February we have to drive about 30 miles just to use an ATM machine! A new bank moved to our town and we will likely transfer to them, but I want to wait until Covid backs down some in our county so we can go inside and have a face-to-face with the banker. We would be loyal to our current bank despite the distance but there are several things about their service that we don't care for.

I am ready to put borders on an old UFO. Its going to be a large quilt. My quilter is backed up so there is no hurry for me to take it to her. I may be able to get another UFO done so I can take both of them. Big plans....lets see if it happens.

Its so good to have phone service and wifi again. Now our neighbors have lost theirs.

It sounds like everyone is set up for a good weekend. Its sunny right now but we are supposed to get more rain later.

Have a great weekend everyone.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I have 2 banks, the main account I use is from the credit union from where my dad worked, still in NC. I've been a member there for, as the guy said with an embarrassed kind of giggle, 40+ yrs. I wasn't surprised. It took me 3 years to convince Howard it was a better deal than his bank. Now I qualify for the seniors accounts, which is even a better deal.

The second is a local credit union. I don't like them nearly as much, since they charge for every little thing, more like a bank than a credit union. I have my survivors benefit and Howard's retirement sent there. I also keep a savings account for my MIL, an emergency fund. Anytime she sends me money or I get refunds or rebates, that money goes in there. It's not much, but it's there if she needs it. Main reason for opening it up, was to have a place where we could go cash a check if needed.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          We've used the same bank for >40 yrs. for our checking. The bank has changed names at least 3 times. I'm thankful our acct. was grandfathered in. By using the plain checks, we get them free. Of course, one has to maintain a minimum balance in order to not get charged. DS#1, retired military, does all his banking on line. His bank is in some other state. I personally don't feel comfortable with on-line banking, or even bill paying. I still write out the checks for the bills & send them snail mail.

Good morning,

It's a sunny day here and hot. We will stay inside and enjoy the A/C. It runs almost year round and set for 76 degrees which works for both of us. I plan to finish the binding on a table runner today. It just needs the final stitch down on the back. My machine needs to go into the shop for a quick check. The owners are wonderful with their customer service so never any worries about our machines. Lucky, I have another machine to use so will plan on some sewing projects.

The order for the batik fabrics came yesterday. Only some of the fabrics shipped and one was sent 1/2 yard short. Good thing that I over-ordered so will be ok. Both of the vendors are having issues filling my orders. Contacts are difficult as the web-site doesn't work and I don't want to waste time on hold. At least I'm no longer intimidated to find a replacement fabric if necessary.

Time for stitching!

Comment

Good Morning,

Things have cooled down here by quite a bit also. This morning is in the middle 50's and dewpoints are much lower. Weather report says this will continue for a next week with temps in the middle 70's and low dewpoints. This weather will be great for me when helping Jennifer with her daycare as the kids will be able to run off their never-ending source of energy outside instead of inside. Those little voices sure can get loud!

I now have 2 fall panels ready to do the hand sewing on the binding. They should keep me busy during the nap time at Jennifer's next week. I also got the characters for Christopher's dishtowels on trace paper. I may get those on the dishtowels tonight. I am hoping to start cutting the Irish Change quilt today as well.

Not much planned today except I'm picking up Jim and taking him to get some groceries. Otherwise I need to pick some more tomatoes, I still have a bunch of green ones but it looks like things are slowing down, the bottom part of the plants are turning brown. Then I will probably head up to the sewing room and get some cutting done.

So thankful that those who were in the path of the hurricane are safe.

Time for some coffee before I start my running around. Have a great day everyone.
          Carlie

Comment

• grammaterry
            grammaterry commented
            Editing a comment
            Im envious of your green tomatoes. I planted plants but apparently the sandy soil doesn't lend itself to tomatoes. I got two from my plant. I love fried green tomatoes.

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            We probably won’t do fried green tomatoes. Not something either of us has had. Are they a southern dish mainly? I have made a green tomato relish but that was several years ago and I don’t thinks I’ve used it. Mainly because it has peppers and my hubby cannot eat them. We will probably just bag them and wait until they ripen.

Good Morning...
          So glad to hear it's a sewing weekend, lol. That is my plan as well. The surgery went well, and after 17 days of rest, tv, and internet, I am so ready to be back at the sewing machine. I did manage to hand stitch 2 panels I plan to make wall hangings. I dearly love the bottles of flowers. It is the best panel I have ever seen. I stitched all around the bottle and flowers, and wow they just pop right out, It gave the bottles a rounded look. I made one for my self and one for my aunt. Today I will finish it on the machine. I am so glad that MSQC is getting more panels back in stock in Sept.
          flowers in bottles panel.jpg
          Weather here has been much the same, too hot and finally a few days of normal weather. This the 1st year in decades I didn't plant tomatoes and lots of flowers.
          I had finally finished my son's Canadian quilt, and he loves it. I hand stitched each picture so to highlight all the lovely details. It weighed 15 lbs when completed. Tony loves heavy quilts. I believe it was 84x87 or close to that. I also finished a quilt with mini pin appliques for a lady that works for the mini pin rescue. It was so pretty I made 3 dog quilts for her mini pins that match her quilt. So for such a strange year, I am most happy to have accomplished so much in a few months.
          SAM_8578.JPGSAM_8402.JPG
          Stay safe and healthy. ~Madonna SAM_8537.JPG

Comment

• KPH
            KPH commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful work! You've really been busy! I had a min pin, loved that dog to death. The whole lot of that litter had short lives, Toffee lived the longest. Bless his jealous heart. Poor Howard couldn't even give me a kiss when Toffee was around.

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            I love your quilts. The one of all the places in Canada is so colorful. I've made many panel quilts & have more panels in my stash waiting to made up into something.

Good morning.

Waiting to hear that our grocery order is ready and then will head back into the sewing room. The extra fabric for the sashing for the Crossroads quilt will likely be here Monday, so I'm going to start on another quilt. I've got five or six to choose from, so I plan to keep on with my Civil War theme (truthfully, all but one is Civil War) and start on the Regiments on Parade (first picture). This is one I will not rush through because I want it to be as perfect as I can make it. Most of it is simply squares, rectangles and half-square triangles, so I think it should be fairly straightforward (notice I didn't say easy).

Cheryl has started on a quilt that is based on the "Road to California" block. It will go to another Lincoln buddy of mine who lives in California.

Take care all and have a great weekend!

Rob
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Good morning!

The last of the rain has cleared out and the sun is shining. We had some heavy downpours yesterday. I thought there would be more branches down, but the front yard is clear and only a couple small ones fell in the back yard. I really need to get my gutters cleaned, though. I will call my regular guys next week.

I'm looking forward working on my Halloween quilt. I want to get it sandwiched today and start quilting it this weekend. I was worried for a minute that I didn't have batting, but I remembered where I put it and all is well.

I ordered some fabric for the baby quilt for the boss's grand baby. I was hoping to use more of my stash, but I didn't have one of the colors I needed. While I was ordering that fabric, I may have broken my fabric diet and ordered a couple of panels and some yardage. If only I could sew as fast as I buy fabric!

I was glad to see Pam got through the hurricane okay and am sending prayers for the families impacted by the storm.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Got the weedeating and grass trimming done. I've been practicing with a cast net for a week with no good results. This afternoon I made 4 great casts and got a bucket ful of shad fish for bait. Maybe go fishing when it cools off.
              Went to town and worked at Habitat for a couple of hours then I stopped at Salvation Army and Hospis stores. Found two 6 qt pans to boil crabs in. And 4 pie plates. I give away pies when someone does something special as a merchant I make a pie and certainly don't expect to get the plate back so thrift store plates are perfect.
              I got back from the store and DH had 20 crabs ready to pick. We put 6 oz in the fridge. We had crab last night and it was delicious. Perhaps by Monday we will have enough.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

Working...
              X