Fuming right now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuming right now!

Need to vent a little. This afternoon while in my sewing room I got an urgent call from Dave. "Get down here. I got bit and I don't know what bit me". So I get downstairs and we go outside to where he is working on the siding for the wood shop. He tells me to watch. He takes a very long screwdriver and pokes it at the roof line. Out it comes from a tiny hole. A BAT. So he goes to urgent care and find that he needs rabies shots, 8 total. They told him there that it usually isn't covered by insurance. WHAT! Why not. If you show any signs of rabies you cannot do anything, you die. Why would that be something that isn't covered? Oh, yah, cost is between $4K and $5K. You can pre authorize. What, I'm gonna see if it's covered first and take a chance that I start showing symptoms? I worked for 26 years for an insurance company but this is ridiculous.
    Carlie

Try your local health dept. See if they can help you. I retired from state of Fla. dept of Health as an RN. We provided the vaccine & globulin on a sliding fee scale. Yes, it is very expensive but bats almost always carry rabies. Good Luck
    Blessings Kathy

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, that is certainly worth looking into. I have our doctor calling in a pre authozation as Dave needs three more shots. Dave doesn't think he would qualify but it's worth a shot.

Carlie ~ So sorry to hear this. I hope you get the help you need that won't be too expensive. I had no idea those shots were so costly! Keep us updated on how he's doing. Thoughts & prayers for you both.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Joy. So far so good. He goes again on Friday for another shot and the Tuesday and the following Tuesday. At least they aren't in his stomach.

OMG that is so crazy I don't even know what to say!

Comment

Carlie,
      The extra shots are for the globulin that goes by weight. It helps provide immunity until the vaccine starts to work.
      Kathy

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Kathy. I didn't know that. Dave said they told him that once he is done with these shots he is good for life, he won't have to get them again. I don't want him getting bit though. He says his leg is getting sore which I would expect since it went into the muscle.

• bubba
        bubba commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember when I was a kid, they gave them to you in your stomach! I had a friend who had to get them and he said it was awful.

So sorry to hear this, prayers....

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. So far so good.

I’m sorry to hear this, Carlie. Sending up prayers for Dave and for the cost of treatment. I had to have those shots once as a child in my stomach.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes! These weren't in the stomach and Dave said the nurse that gave the shots was superb. He hardly felt them at all.

what? that is so idiotic i can't stand it. Call people and keep calling. This cannot be right.
      i watched a home show once where people bought a house that had bats living outside. they loved watching them fly away at night. That made me cringe. you can't feel a bat's bite. it's like a mosquito!

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Dave certainly felt this one. It was just the one, thank God,that had found a hidey hole where he had taken the siding off to fix a problem. I just don't understand why something that is life threatening is not covered.

• nativetexan
        nativetexan commented
        Editing a comment
        did you get the bat taken in to be tested? that would help if it wasn't rabid, no shots.

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        No we were not able to get it. Dave did make sure there are no others and sealed up the little hole.

Lifting prayers. I hope you'll find some more reasonable responses to your requests for coverage. Geez Louise, we pay so much for insurance for it to do next to nothing.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Katrina. I’ll be looking into a few things tomorrow.

So sorry to hear this Carlie. Between a quadruple bypass and various other hospitalizations, I can sympathize with your insurance nightmare. Keep fighting, though.

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Will do. Although my husband says maybe I would have been better off if he contracted rabies and died that way I have his insurance money. I told him no chance, he’s stuck with staying around for many a year.

I never heard of such a stupid thing. My Dh got bit by a centipede and ended up in the hospital. He got covered. I thought they caught the culprit and tested it before having to go through that. Or am i thinking of something else?

I happy he's okay.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes he is doing okay. Says his leg is sore but I would expects that when he got 4 shots in the thigh muscle.

I am so sorry about all of that, I heard the bats carry rabies but didnt know it was true. I hope there is another answer on paying for the shots. That just doesnt seem right.!

Comment

The hospital may also have financial aid available. Check with the billing department. They usually won't tell you about it unless you ask.
        Be who you are and say what you feel
        because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          He went to urgent care which is part of the clinic here in town. I will check with them to see what help we can get although our doctor was supposed to send in a pre-authorization yesterday. Hopefully that will help.

I don't know what type of insurance you have i.e. HMO?? When I was fighting hard with hospital bills, the billing dept. would not help me at all, they had selective memory loss as to who it was to help me.. I had to go the hospital's Facebook page, publicly shame them, I received a response very quickly, then I was able to get to the department head. I didn't want to go that route, but it was a last resort, and it worked.
        Kathryn
        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure what you call the kind of insurance we have. It is an insurance that includes medicare so I don't have to go to two different places for payment. It has been okay for the most part, our prescriptions are very reasonable. The only other problem we have had is when I had to get an injection for my knee (I have no cushion left in my knees). They would not approve the injection my doctor wanted to use. Took about 3 months before I finally got the injection. What I don't understand is that if you don't get the rabies vaccine there is a good chance you will contract rabies. If you start to show signs of the disease it is too late to do anything and you will die. It doesn't make sense that you would not provide a drug that would save someone's life.

Sorry to hear about Dave but it's amazing what you can learn from a sewing forum. In this country (Scotland), bats are protected so you can't evict them from a property. I thought the worst thing they had was fleas!

Comment

• Hulamoon
          Hulamoon commented
          Editing a comment
          I love learning stuff too. Here in Hawaii there are no rabies because animals are quarantined. Undomesticated animals such as ferrets and hamsters are banned. They are considered to be pests. If let lose they will multiply. We can have rabbits though. Go figure. lol

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe that bats are protected here as well. You cannot kill them but you can evict them. Luckily there was only the one. Dave seems to be perfectly fine this morning.
      Working...
      X