Monday Morning Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Morning Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Here we are at the start of a new week. It's supposed to be smoky for at least 2 more days. Yest. was really bad. According to the paper, there are almost 700 firefighters working on the Cameron Peak Fire west of Ft Collins, 0 containment. I noticed my neighbor wore a mask when he mowed the lawn yest. afternoon. I'm minimizing my outdoor exposure.

I made it to the sewing room yest. afternoon. I started working on the backing. Since it will have to be pieced, I decided to insert a row of left over blocks, edged top & bottom with a narrow strip of the red fabric. I hope to work on that more today.

One of the senior center computer coaches e-m'd some manual instructions for Libre Office/Writer. In my spare time I've been figuring out some of the features for using this free word processing program. I miss MS Office, but I didn't want to pay $150. for it.

DH is waiting for breakfast, so I need to get on with my day.

Good Morning. I got up early and changed the sheets on our bed. The last load of laundry is ready to go into the dryer. I didn’t get the brownies baked for Jeff yesterday and he’s not letting me forget it. He also needs his hair cut.

I played with my embroidery machine yesterday but found I was lacking in concentration so I stopped before I sewed over my fingers. It’s time for me to get back to sewing quilts.

The fires in California continue to burn out of control. I hope that the volunteers who came to help can make a difference. One fire chief on the news said his men had worked 72 hours without a break. There are more than 500 fires now.

Pam (pcbatiks) is sharing her quilts this week and started by showing us a beautiful quilt with a touching story. Don’t miss it.

I’m off to fold laundry and bake brownies. I will check back in later.

Have a great day everyone.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good morning!

Today will be in the mid 80's, with a slight chance of rain. My sister and I have a porch visit with Mom late this morning. I'm looking forward to cooler weather for the porch visits. I do wonder, though, how they will be handled in the winter. I hope we won't be sitting outside in 20 degree weather!

Our numbers are down at work, more so, I think, than originally planned for. If the numbers don't improve, we may be looking at additional budget cuts. Which makes me wonder if there will be more layoffs. Time will tell.

Looks like my next project is going to a quilt for the boss's grand baby. I just can't resist trying to figure out the design without a pattern. I already started auditioning fabrics.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good Morning All,

It's the start to another wet blanket day. There were water spots on the steps to the yard, so it did sprinkle a little this morning.

Jim's last weeks in the house. I think he's planning to get the trailer on Friday and start packing it. I hope he thinks about NOT taking it into his neighborhood. It's really narrow down in there.

Not sure what this week will bring. Mike's off today, I'm sure he'll want to get out of the house.

Talked to my MIL for an hour last night. BIL that lives with her is taking a vacation and made it to Mt. Rushmore. BIL that lives in FL, is up in IN with her and she's worried about his memory, but he's getting a lot of things done around the house she's not able to do anymore. She went to church for the first time, but probably won't go back soon. She said too many were walking and congregating too close together to suit her. I'm fine with her Zooming church, as she's 90+.

Well, Mike just got called in. One sick and one no show, I don't get how people have the nerve to not show up to work. They won't put up with that long. The one that called in sick is our neighbor. Mike's like, more money for me. They're talking about making him a key holder. I asked what that meant... he's like it a step under manager, he paused, and a raise. Hopefully, this will help him move up that step.

Guess I'd better get busy, doing something productive while Mike's at work. Jim hasn't called yet, so I guess it's not my day to be working with him.

Take care and stay safe!

Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning. Here we are at the start of another week. Yesterday I had a very quiet, lazy day. We basically just had the radio on all day. Chatted, talked about what we wanted to do this coming week, watched some you tube for fun, talked to my sis and then hubby cooked dinner. Sometimes I just need a day of just sitting around.

I am not sure just what we will choose to do from the list that we put together yesterday. I would like to do something in my sewing room. Just not sure just what.

Be safe everyone dealing withvthe fires out west and now all those on the Gulf Coast watching Marco and Laura heading your way.

Have the best day you all can.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning, Everyone!
            I haven't chatted here in awhile. Some days are busy. I took my oldest granddaughter shopping a couple days ago. I just let her get anything she wanted. She enjoyed trying things on, too. We came home with 6 pairs of jeans, 4 tops, and a pair of shoes. It was a fun day!
            So today I am taking my sewing machine in for a good cleaning. It hasn't been done in oh.... maybe a couple years. So I'm sure it's badly needed. Last year at this time I was in the process of moving so a lot of things just didn't get done. Now, without my favorite machine, I guess I'll have to get some housework done.
            We had all those trees and bushes removed last week and the guy put down some topsoil and grass seed. We've been watering every night but not a single blade of grass has appeared. He'll be coming to mow the lawn one day this week so maybe he'll do something. Maybe the seed is just no good.
            Gosh, I can't believe summer is almost over already. The grandkids will be going back to school, one of them starts kindergarten next week and two of them start 7th and 2nd grade the first week of September. The two that start in Sept will be going to school two days a week and stay home three days. I'm pretty sure the one who starts kindergarten will go every day but just for a half day.
            I ordered the daily deal today. I have no idea what I will use the layer cake for but it was so pretty, I couldn't pass it up!
            Well, time to start some of that housework. I'll start in the sewing room.
            Have a happy day!
            ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              My daughter's kids will be doing in-school 2 days a week and then home. Some will go Monday/Tuesday and the others will go Thursday/Friday. She is hoping the two girls, 12 and 15, will have opposite days so they will have some time apart. Carson, 4th grade, will be doing school at home full time as she is not comfortable with him wearing a mask that long, he has asthma. He is so proud of the desk they bought for him.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              I was tempted on the recent DDs but have resisted, since I haven't been piecing at all this summer. I've been working on other sewing projects. My daughter and daughter-in-law have both decided they are going to do on-line classes only for now. They are not taking a chance. It will be challenging as they all have been working from home. DIL will be going back to teach, so SIL will have to take on the charge. Both have 3 kids each. Ouff. I will be helping my DD with meals and other household duties. Her MIL will take care of education - being retired teacher. Not everyone has that luxury.

Good morning,

Windy here this morning and more showers later today. It has rained almost every day or night this summer. I started on a Christmas table runner yesterday. It took over two hours to get the sandwich done so it was straight. I only manged quilting one section on the embroidery machine but it will be an easy finish this week (fingers crossed for that).

Today is a quick office day to finish month end tasks and then a grocery pick-up. I'll be back home before the afternoon storms.

There are so many cute Christmas projects on the MSQC site that I started a wish list; panels, placemats, and wall hangings. Oh my! Maybe some of them will be inspiration for using the fabrics I bought last year. I like the free down loads that are listed with some items.

Love the start of the quilt show this week. The quilts and projects always brighten my morning!

Happy Stitching!

Comment

Good Morning all,

I didn't sleep well last night. Things kept running through my mind, especially about the quilt I'll be making for my sister-in-law and her husband. Need to get that resolved so I don't go through another night like that.

I posted a picture of the sampler quilt. I was able to get the borders on yesterday so now the task is to decide whether to make it into a winter quilt or a summer quilt. I have an old chenille type bedspread that was my grandmothers. It is starting to wear here and there so I want to make sure I have something to use once I can no longer use it, but this quilt is nice and large and would work very well for the winter months. My husband always says I hog the covers so with extra on each side there won't be that problem.

I'll be working on some fall and winter panels until I get a little more information from my niece on what size bed her mom and dad have I'll also question her to see if maybe a nice lap quilt would be better. I'm also going to be looking up Pokemon characters to use for the dishtowels I will be embroidering for my oldest grandson who is 22. I want to have them done for a Christmas gift this year.

Since I got up late I've already gotten groceries and now need to get some coffee and breakfast. Glad I got them already as it looks like we are going to get some rain. Wish I could share it with the areas that are having all the fires. Don't know if it would help but it couldn't hurt.

Have a great day everyone.
              Carlie

Comment

• JCY
                JCY commented
                Editing a comment
                We certainly could use some rain in Colo.! I'm sure CA wishes the same thing.

We have a bit of rain, I truly wish I could share it with Co and Ca. I don't understand how some people think we humans can alter the weather and combat climate change. It would be wonderful if we could move rain around as needed since I expect to get more rain as the week progresses due to the hurricanes in the gulf, we are about 4 hours inland.
              I may have to break my rule about not going anywhere until our trip. I bought a birthday card for my sister and don't know where my mind was when I bought it but it is not appropriate at all.🤐 I could just send her a note on a pretty blank card, yep, that is a better idea.😉
              Putting fresh sheets on the guest bed is my only other goal for today, hope I can get my lazy self going soon.
              Have a wonderful new week, friends.

Comment

Late start to the day. Woke up at about 3:30 this morning (nothing new there) and couldn't get back to sleep (also nothing new). Ended up falling back asleep about 8 a.m. and woke up at ten minutes to 10. Got up, ate breakfast and watered the flowers. Weatherman promises heat and humidity this week, so I'm sure I will be watering at least three more times this week.

Just heard from the basset rescue group. Patsy will likely lose one eye due to some type of illness and eventually will lose her vision in the other eye. I told the lady that wasn't an issue for us as Droopy was blind the last three years of her life and got along just fine. It won't be any time soon that we might be able to get her, but the lady thought we would be a good match for her.

Spent a few hours in the sewing room yesterday and got the first row of the Crossroads Variation completed. I told Cheryl that she actually taught me something. I was having problems with the seams not lining up even when I pinned them, and Cheryl suggested pinning the seams one way and then putting pins the other way in the ends and leaving them in the fabric since they wouldn't go under the needle. I tried that and, what do you know? It worked! Now she can't keep from reminding me that she taught me something. 😀

Cheryl is working on the border for the Ohio Star quilt. It is mitered, and she's never been comfortable doing a mitered corner. I suggested she watch some videos on YouTube, so we'll see how much that helps.

Hope all have a great day!

Rob
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
                  CarlieBlilie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My Auggie is as blind as can be. Love him to death but he is very anxious all the time, especially when he cannot find me. He was very attached to his first owner. She passed away from cancer and her husband did not want to be bothered with the dog. He is a very needy dog but we love him. He is now 14. Our other dachshund is also 14 (a few months older than Auggie) and it seems that our Milka is starting to have eyesight issues. Poor Auggie is constantly running into walls, thankfully not hard so he isn't hurting himself.

• Rob the HOAQ
                  Rob the HOAQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was amazing how well Droopy navigated our house. She never once ran into a wall or any furniture. To be honest, if we didn't know she was blind (confirmed by the vet) you would have thought she could see just fine. I think if we get Patsy and she is able to see for a while, she'll remember where she needs to go. Of course, we'll help her however we can.

Rob

Good day everyone,

Late again, seems to be my pattern. We had severe t-storms yesterday and last evening. Apparently there was t-storms and heavy rains throughout the night. I slept through it for once. If I could label this summer, it would be hot & humid with probability of t-storm and tornado warnings.

My GF finally got her Covid test results. We are all negative. DH & I got results Friday am. She had to call & finally got response. It took less than 2 days for ours, but they said it could take longer due to increased demand. Since mom's place is in lockdown, there are no visits inside or outside. That's ok since I might get things done around here. I was going 3-4x a week and then she called in-between. That doesn't give me much time to do stuff and the tell her about it.

I have made 2 separate batches of 21 jars each of bread & butter pickles for us and one for my daughter. I am done except to make pickled beets when they get to a better price. I was going to can some tomatoes but then there was a really good price on spiced tomatoes, I will allow myself to be lazy.

The grandkids are all set to start on-line classes at home (Kindergarten, 2 in grade 1 and 1 in grade 2). My DD & DIL are not sending their youngest to daycare. Not taking chances for now. They will wait and see as the fall is always a good time for the kids (in any year) to bring home colds, coughs and sniffles. Since a few of them are asthmatic, not taking risk. It will be difficult for sure, trying to work around rug rats.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Suzanne ~ Do you have farmer's markets in Canada? I used to go to ours all the time, but now with C-19, one has to make an appt. You just can't drop by like we used to. Anyway, the markets are great places to pick up reasonably priced veggies, & they're farm fresh.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  JCY - We have farmer's markets here -- a lot of them. So I usually pick up my cucumbers, by the 1/2 or whole bushel to make my pickles. When I worked there was an outdoor market a block away. I would pick up fresh fruit & vegetables. Sometimes it filled the bus with aromas on the way home. We also have many farm to house businesses who will deliver weekly boxes of produce.. Some you chose what you want, others it is whatever selection comes from the farm. They include recipes for items that people may not be familiar with. My daughter has had this service for years. Oh, and they also include farm fresh eggs.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 3.47.42 PM.png Good afternoon everyone,

Late, late, late today. I had an appointment for Sadie to get her stitches removed at the vet's this morning. He said she healed well.....but no one at his clinic is qualified to do the surgery on her lip to remove the tumor. He called it a "mass cell tumor" ??? The nearest board certified surgeon is located in Minneapolis, about 6 hours south of us. Thankfully, my DD lives there, so Sadie and I could stay with her. The vet is going to contact the clinic there and get the ball rolling for us. Crazy what we do for our pets!

The weekend at the cabin was lots of fun. We had good weather, just a little rain during the night Sat. The motor on the pontoon decided to die, and we were all packed up and ready to spend the afternoon on the water when we discovered it. Instead we gals got on the Lilypad and floated out onto the lake. We were joined by the kiddos and DS on the jet ski, and pretty soon had quite the flotilla! Lots of laughs, close calls getting dumped in the lake, screams and so much fun was had by all. We were all sooooo tired that night, and everyone slept in. We even had the cooler on the Liliypad! DS took the picture from the jet ski. He even towed us down the lake a ways.

I picked tomatoes after getting home from the vet. I'll wait until evening to pick beans since the garden is in full sun in the afternoon, and it's hot today! Otherwise, it's a pleasant day weatherwise...no humidity and a gentle breeze.

Thinking of you all,
                Jeanne

Attached Files

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, that looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing your family day.

Good afternoon! I'm late to the party today! It's been a busy day. I got up for work and got slammed with emails. I answer one and three more appear. Spent my lunch running to the bank to pick up my new card. Stopped at the store for Tamalas for Daniel. Then home. I have to make up the overage at the end of the day.

Yesterday was so productive. I played in a scrap bag I haven't looked through in a while. I found some leftovers from a row by row and made mug rugs. Still have to applique and quilt. I also cut out an ugly st paddys quilt. Someone had bought me a bunch of st paddys fabric from a retail store that is thin and very juvenile. I thought let's see if it works. I'll use the rest on the back to use it up.

I cleaned up a bunch of clutter in the living room. I feel like I can breathe now! My bf is a clutter bug. He has a clean space but then puts all the clutter in the living areas. I told since I'm working from home in the living space I can't take it. So he compromised and to the shed with everything. Yay. Opened up a lot of space and feel so much less frustrated!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It's been a busy day around here. Jim had one of Jonathan's friends over today. They worked in the garage. He's on track with his schedule.

I worked on the sewquester quilt. I cut, and cut, and cut. The blocks and sashing are all cut out. Tomorrow, I'll sew. I hope.

I hope everyone has had a nice day. We had one huge boom of thunder, and rain earlier this afternoon. Now it looks like it's getting ready to pour again. We'll see what it does.

Katrina
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Hello everyone. I am currently sitting in the sun catching some rays. We moved to our new campsite yesterday. We are three feet from the lake. The wildfires are directly across from us but we are in no danger. There is a steady stream of helicopters flying all around us. I was able to get laundry done yesterday but the bottle of soap exploded, luckily just caught the back bumper of the suv. Got ghat cleaned at the car wash. Setting up camp yesterday and i fell over the lip of the tent and went flying. Elbow and left knee a little skinned but right knee took the worst of it. Really tender today. Tomorrow we move sites again at the same campground. It is really windy today, not helping with the wildfires. Wednesday's adventure is tubing down a canal in penticton. That should be fun. We are here until Friday when we will start heading back East. We will stop in red deer to visit with friends. It is beautiful out here and it is wine country. We have stopped at a few wineries for tasting. Wishing you all a great rest of the day.
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Editing a comment
                      You have to watch those things lying on the ground.
                  Working...
                  X