Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Morning Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Smoky is the word for today. The weather forecast has the smoke icon for every hour for the next 24 hrs. As the day went on yest., the haze in the air increased. The one fire we're getting the most smoke from is NW of us maybe 30-40 mi. away. But the weather on the news said we're also getting smoke from the CA fires. The sun came up a deep reddish orange yest. a.m. & also set in an orange ball at sunset. Our high temp. was 98 deg.; the 90's continue for at least another week.

Our senior center hasn't been able to provide the usual computer classes at the local community college or at the sr. ctr. due to C-19. They've started offering help using Zoom. I've been wanting more help with using Libre Office/Writer, which is a free word processing download program. I didn't want to pay $150. for MS Office. So yest. afternoon I logged on with Zoom to the Fri. Computer Lab. They put me in a break-out room with one of the coaches. It just so happens he's working on a simplified manual for Libre. Apparently the manual for purchase (about $30.) is geared more for geeks & not user friendly for many of us. Anyway, he was able to show me where various settings are, etc. He's going to e-m a table of various steps (pathways) to certain settings.

Yest. I also spent time arranging a lunch date & place for our Bible Study Fellowship group. We want to get together before the fall study starts. I sent e-mails to everyone & called the 3 ladies who don't use computers.

Not sure of today's plans. Some laundry, maybe run the vacuum. Hope to get some sewing done.

Good Morning, Thank you, Joy, for starting us off today. The fires in California are terrible. We saw on the news that six people lost their lives and more than 100 homes have been lost. Firefighters from other states and countries are being brought in to help.

We plan to visit the Farmers Market at the Methodist church this morning. I would love to get some good tomatoes and some zucchini that aren’t too large. Last week I got some beautiful sweet potatoes three for 1$. Good buy. We love them baked and they keep better than most other potatoes.

Today is my daughter’s 55th birthday. She certainly doesn’t look her age. She says she feels it.

I have hopes of getting some sewing done today. Dinner will be breakfast food so it will be an easy fix. Jeff loves breakfast any time of the day.

I did a fairly good job of straightening the sewing room yesterday. I got rid of lots of papers and miscellaneous clutter. I seem to be addicted to printing out free patterns and just stacking them up. I’m turning over a new leaf. Ink and paper are too expensive to waste.
    I saved the few patterns that stand a chance of getting made.

It’s time for me to eat some breakfast and start my day.

Have a great day friends.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      I do the same thing, print them out then print out the next pretty one, who knows what and when any will be made.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I've printed out many quilt patterns over the years. Earlier this year I got them organized into a big 3-ring binder. I have them sorted by M*, Jordan Fabrics, Bonnie Hunter, & Misc. So much better than having loose patterns lying around. And of course, I have a lot of hand written directions from videos where I didn't print off the pattern. There are so many on my bucket list! I have a separate notebook for FMQ designs. Many of those are from Angela Walters. The internet provides us with so many free patterns.

• Paisley
      Paisley commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m addicted to saving them as a .pdf file. I email the .pdf file to myself with a screen picture of the quilt. My quilt folder in my email should say OVERLOADED but it doesn’t.

Good morning. It's a sunny one this morning. We have opted not to go to Henry's game today. The time was switched to 90 and we didn't want to rush around this morning. Just wanted a nice, leisurely time. I think we will head outside now and get some chores done on the side of the house. There is a "shrub" that has grown into quite a large size and needs trimming. Plus, it is the side of the house that we don't really go to very much at all so there is a lot of weeding that needs attending to.

Other than that, I am not sure what the day will hold. Probably some housework for sure and I have someone coming by to pick up some masks. Sadly all the Yankee games have been postponed for this weekend because a member of the opposing team has tested positive for covid. I was really enjoying watching baseball. So, instead, last night we watched a few episodes of Murder She Wrote that I had recorded.

Yesterday we did get into the sewing room and rearranged it. It was just too tight of a space around the cutting table when both of us were in there working so a couple of the sewing machines had to be moved around to give us more walking/passing by space. I am happy with it.

I spoke with both by bff and my dil in California and they said that while the actual threat of the fires encroaching into town has lessened, the smoke and ash are still making being outside impossible. So everyone is hunkering down indoors.

Have a good day everyone.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      We love watching baseball as well and have been watching the Twins every day. It's nice to have it back on to watch.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I noticed little particles of white ash on our picnic table this a.m. I saw the pics of the CA fires. Oh my, such thick smoke, no wonder people are hunkering down inside.

Good Morning,

We had storms last night. Every time I woke up (which was quite a few) there was lightning and thunder. Looked at the rain gauge this morning and we got well over 3.5" of rain overnight. Guess we won't have to water anything today.

Jennifer got to her appointment yesterday. She was not feeling the best. The doctor she saw on Thursday put her on a medication for insulin resistance. She was anticipating some issues with the medicine but not as much as she did. She talked with the doctor yesterday (a different doctor) and told him the dosage and he said, whoa, that it too much. It evidently is a drug you have level up on and she was taking the max dose right away which caused nausea and diarrhea. When she got home she had some lunch, although late, and an hour later as I was leaving so told me she was going low. I guess, she showed me her monitor, sugars were at 50 and going down. Luckily her 15 year old was there and her husband was just coming home so I felt comfortable in leaving. I talked with her later. She took off her pump and kept a close watch on her sugars as it kept dipping down. Her prescription said to take 4 pills a day, which she did for one day. The doctor she saw yesterday said she should only be taking 1 pill for several days, then 2 and so on. She was doing okay last night when I talked to her but was not going to take the medication again until tonight. The second doctor recommended she take the medication at night.

Jennifer and I were talking about quilts, as she does quilt when she can fit it in. She was going through her fabrics and "found" a packages of fat quarters that she forgot she had. There were 32 fat quarters in the package! What a find! She showed me some charms she just got from Missouri Star. There was one that is browns and golds that she is going to make for her dad. I told her to put a lot of cream colored fabric in there or he will think it is too dark. She just gave me a look. Dave is always telling me a quilt is too dark.

I have finished putting the rows together for the sampler quilt. Between today and tomorrow I'm hoping to have all the rows put together and to get the border cut our. If I'm very fortunate, I'll get the border sewn on as well. So close. Can't wait to see it completely pieced. Then on to quilting, not sure yet what I will do there.

Nothing much planned for today except getting out to the garden and picking tomatoes. I haven't been out there for several days so I think there will be a ton of cherry tomatoes. I will be a little busy in the kitchen getting those taken care of.

Have a great day!
    Carlie

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlie ~ A glucose reading of 50 is getting scarily low! It's always better to start low with medication & work up as needed. I hope she monitors her glucose levels regularly. I take only a 1/2 tab. of Metformin 500 mg. (i.e. 250 mg.) twice a day & watch my diet.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it was scary low that is why I would not have left if she didn't have someone responsible around to make sure she was okay. I do believe that Metformin is what she was prescribed but starting at 1,000 mg a day (250 mg 4 times a day). Her regular doctor said that was too high to begin with and she should have started with only 1 pill a day. She is supposed to take 1 per day for 5 days, then 2 for 5 days and then 3 and then 4 changing every 5 days. Her regular doctor said that she would be "in for a ride" taking that much to begin with. She was doing better late last evening and is doing better today.

As far as what she takes when she goes low, I don't know what she has but I know she has things around and the kids also know. She has had diabetes for over 25 years so she does know what to do. Thankfully she isn't like my grandmother who would fight not to eat something when she was low. I never understood that. As far as monitoring her sugars she has a device that she only has to look at. That is what she showed me yesterday. It told her what her sugars were and if they were going up or down. Quite a remarkable device. She also can tell when she is getting low. Funny, my dad would not always be able to tell but my mom or youngest sister could tell if he was going low just by how he talked. I remember one time Dave and I were talking with my dad and my sister came out with a cookie and told him to eat it. He said that he didn't need it. She said, please just eat it. Within 10 minutes he was rubbing his upper lip which was a sign to him that he was low.

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Four metformin to start off with....wow! I take 500mg..1 in the morning, and 1 at night. But I started out with 1/2 twice a day, then went to 1 in the morning and 1/2 at night, and finally 1 at each time. I still have digestive issues a couple of times a week if I haven't been careful with what I eat. I can tell if I'm getting low...I feel jittery and weak in the legs at 80 or below. The managers at J's are good to make sure I get my lunch breaks when needed.

Good morning!

Warm weather is here to stay for the next week -- highs in the mid to upper 80's. We have sunshine today, and a slight chance of rain tomorrow.

Yesterday was a rough work day. I woke up with a headache that lasted a good chunk of the day. I'm not sure if it was caused by stress or from eye strain the day before. Then a gal who should have read only access in the system proudly announced she was able to make edits. I had to put a stop to that. She was given the permissions in error and hasn't had any training. She can do a lot of damage if she starts messing around with those screens.

Today will be spent cleaning and organizing. I understand why people in my age bracket start to downsize. I look around and wonder why I need so much stuff? Unless, of course, it's quilting supplies, which one can never have too much of! 😃

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know your age bracket but I'm 42 I have that bug. I keep moving into smaller places.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      I turned 78 in July. I look at all the "stuff" I should be sorting & ridding out, but I don't make much head way. I really need to keep at it, though. This a.m. I was looking at some clothes in my closet that I never wear. I need to make a donation to the local thrift store. Sigh.

• Ginny B
      Ginny B commented
      Editing a comment
      We are trying to downsize too. Today Kathryn sent us a message asking if we wanted a platform bed, a roll top desk or some chairs that she has in her garage from our friend Ray who passed away almost 2 years ago. I said no but then hubby said he'd really like the roll top desk but didn't know where we would put it. I said we would have to get rid of another piece of furniture. He said "One of your sewing machines?" I just looked at him. He understood. LOL As it turns out, the desk is locked and nobody has the key so we would need to do a bit of damage to it to use it I suppose. I hope he really decides that he doesn't really want it.

Already have the next projects in mind. I'm going to work on a variation of a Civil War block called "Crossroads" which will be the largest quilt I've attempted (72x72). Cheryl's next project will be an Ohio Star quilt that we will give to a very good friend of mine who lives in Ohio and is one of my "Lincoln buddies." I have a feeling it's going to take me a bit longer than a couple of days to get mine finished. Now that both orders of fabric have finally arrived I can start it. I have at least five more on deck.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog chronicling my quilting journey. Several years ago I had one focusing on a Civil War soldier that I researched who was in charge of the troops that captured John Wilkes Booth. The only reason I stopped was that I had too many irons in the fire and I wanted a new post every week. If I do this, I will post only when I feel like it. I need some outlet to keep writing so my skills don't get rusty. I have a couple of articles that I've pretty much abandoned because Covid 19 has sapped my energy (not by having it, but worrying about it). I'll see where this leads.

I'm really tired of hot weather. I've always said that I prefer cold weather because I can always put on more layers to get warm. During the summer there's only so much I can take off without ending up in jail.

Have a great weekend all.

Rob
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Good morning,

Yes, it's still morning for a little while. More rain on the table for today along with two TS out there to watch for next week.

Finally found my inspiration for the next project. It's a cardinal table runner panel that I bought last year. It should be a quick and easy project that can be done this weekend. It will be quilted on my embroidery machine. I just need to decide what thread color on the design. The background is black with red cardinals. It matches the Christmas china.

Hope your weekend is fun!

Comment

Good morning everyone. Today has been busy. Started activities with my walking group. Then came home to finish mowing before garbage pickup. Now it is time to move onto laundry and finish a charity quilt on the LA. One of my walking buddies announced she is expecting a DGD in December, so I'll start thinking about a baby quilt for her. I love baby quilts. Not much else happening here other than waiting on these 2 storms brewing in the Gulf. I guess next week will be rainy.

Comment

Every time i see someone mentioned Senior Center, I miss mine. Well the one I went to in Colorado. Where i live in Texas they are non existent. community centers are the thing. I had both. one of these days I will drive over to a community center and find out exactly what they offer Seniors.
          I'm about to take a small pregnant kitten to the shelter for a Foster mom. i have two 14 yr old girls in my home already. then what to do about the tom cat out on the front porch. he was someone's cat. he sprays so ,my son doesn't even allow him in the garage. he has manners though. I sit with her in the back yard and him in the front. she split from him recently and is much happier. Been there, done that.
          I'm waiting on my Borders Made Easy quilt pattern rolls to come and then will be done with my pink and green hexagon quilt. onto another one, of course.
          Cloudy here. storm in the Gulf of Mexico now. two more out there. should be a fun week!
          take care everybody!

Comment

Good Afternoon All,

Jim took the truck for new tires today. The kids stayed here. Mike picked Jim up and brought him back here once they dropped the truck off. Even with an appointment time, it sounded like they were taking walk ins first. The truck was done around lunch time. Jim bought lunch for all of us and then took the kids over to Grammy's house for the afternoon.

We had another wasp nest start on the porch. Kids found it when they started to swing. They came in, Jim sprayed, Mike cleaned up.

I was thinking about starting the sewquester quilt, but I'm going to wait a while. I'm tired, after keeping the kids this morning. Esther started in wanting me to help her with drawing a horse. I told her after her last fit when I tried to help her, if she wanted to do a horse it was all on her. I was not going to help. She started whining that she couldn't. That old school teacher came out, "Can't never could 'til it tried." and I walked away. Zeke sat there for the longest time drawing all of the sea animals in the drawing book.

I don't know how to act, Mike's off on a Saturday! I need to print up address labels. I'm going to make preaddressed stamped envelopes for the kids, so they can write Grandma Dot, Nana and Nandy, Grammy and Daedo, and me. Zeke loves to get mail, so I'm going to get the address of the campground they'll be at for the first month and send something up so it will get there a day or so after they get there.

Well, time to get up and get started doing something. Have a wonderful day!
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I have been out in the yard trimming back. I saw this beauty andIMG_1368.JPG had to take his picture. The heat has diminished a little so I was able to spend an hour or two working around, trimming things.
              I think I will shower and take a trip into the sewing room for a while this afternoon.
              Attached Files

Comment

• JCY
                JCY commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful! Are the yellow flowers Lantana? I planted just one in my yard this year. It's sort of an orangish red.

• Claire Hallman
                Claire Hallman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the yellow is lantanna and the white is pentas . The lantanna have bloomed nonstop all summer, they have gotten so big that I cut a few back yesterday. I have pinkish ones in the backyard, mostly yellow in the front with two red/orange there, too. The hummers and butterflies love them.

I had a busy day. Slept in a little, then had the screened porch to clean. It wasn't too bad since I just cleaned a couple of weeks ago. Boys and 1 DIL came over for dinner. They get a laugh out of me calling them boys. They are 55 and 60! One DIL is a nervous wreck because of Covid 19. She will barely stick her head out of the door, and never without her dog in her arms. I did manage to get 1 package of a Block of the Month done. It had 12 Grandma's Fans, so it took a while. I think I'll be going to my daughter's near St. Louis on Thursday. Her husband died in June, and she wanted us to stay home. I think it has finally hit her. It won't be the same without Ted. He was quite a character, and I loved him dearly! I'll take a machine and a quilt to work on. She is busy trying to get his estate settled and get their business going again. She has my 1956 Singer 301, but it hasn't been used in nearly 15 years. I think I'll bring it home and get it serviced. It has sewed many miles all over the world!

Comment

Working...
              X