Miss Manners, I have a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miss Manners, I have a ?

We got the news late last night that DH's Aunt passed away. There will be no funeral as was her wish. I have a card ready to go out in the mail today but we are wondering if we should include either a check or cash. If there were to be a funeral we would send flowers and make a monetary gift but we are thinking it might be tacky for us to include $$$ in the sympathy card.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

You could make a charitable donation in her name. I agree that sending money is a little awkward unless you are aware that the survivor needs financial support. Even though there will not be a service there will still be final expenses.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with this. If she had a favorite charity or special interest, that would be perfect.

I personally think it would be ok to send a monetary gift in your card. The family still has expenses, or they might wish to have a memorial to their church or some charity.

Comment

I'm following in Mom's footsteps....I send a check to a charity. I look to see if there is one in the obituary. If one isn't listed, I take my lead from cause of death or a Hospice group in their area.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

When I lost my sister to ovarian cancer last year, she didn't want donations to the American Cancer Society or any other organization like that. She wanted donations to St. Jude's Children's Hospital because she knew the heartbreak of losing a child. I agree with the others that a donation in her name would certainly be appropriate, and if financial assistance is needed, then money to the family would also be fine.

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

That is awkward, especially if they did not mention anything in the obituary. I think then, its your choice,

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I think it would be very nice to include a check with the card and a little note saying it is for funeral expenses or charity donation, their choice. I do not think it is tacky at all and probably would be very appreciated.

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with a note. It's not like a wedding where it's an obvious gift.

People also forget to take care of themselves while grieving maybe a nice dinner since it's very stressful. My whole family is heavily insured with investments as well. This has never come up for us. I know I would remind my mom to please go eat when my grandma passed..she lived with my parents.

Comment

Thanks all, we have found out our cousins (it was their mother) will be coming into town and called one to let them know wee will drop off a cold cut platter and breads for the family tomorrow. I hope that will allow them to visit and grieve without needing to worry so much about nourishment.
              One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Cokie
                Cokie commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a nice idea. A neighbor did that for us when my grandmother passed away and it was very much appreciated.
            Working...
            X