Thursday Morning Greetings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Morning Greetings!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I headed out right after breakfast yest. for grocery shopping. I like to go when the stores aren't quite so busy. My first stop was Sprouts; they have a large bulk foods section. With the virus, it's no longer self-serve from the bins. They have the items pre-packaged in plastic bags. I actually like it better; I think it's more sanitary. People who want only a small amount of an item don't have a choice anymore. They have to buy what's pre-packaged. I ended up getting most of my produce there. Then it was over to my usual Kroger affiliated store for the rest of my items. Wow, it must be because school has started -- there were very few cheese sticks. My favorite brand was missing. I was home early enough that DH could help carry in the groc. & I could get most items put away before he needed to fix his lunch. (I'm always watching the clock so I don't interfere with snack times & meal times. He has a set routine that I try not to interrupt.)

It was very smoky again in the later afternoon, maybe from about 5-8 p.m. I think it depends on the direction of the wind. The skies remain very hazy. The high temp. was 98 deg. We had some cloud cover in the afternoon; the temp. dropped into the upper 80's.

I didn't get any sewing done. But I mailed several greeting cards. And of course, the usual evening hand watering had to be done.

It was nice to have Monique check in. I hope she & Les are having a wonderful time.

Good morning to all......it's my last day in Vermont!

This morning's temperature is 49 degrees on august 20th....this still does not make sense to me; especially in my mind it should be shorts weather and not having to put on a jacket in August?

I have some more packing of household to do. then, I will pack all the belongings I want to take with me to Arkansas tonight in order to get an early start tomorrow morning.

Since I won't have my computer for several weeks; I won't be posting (I hate trying to do posting on my phone), but I will peek into the forum when I get a chance. i ask for prayers that hubby and I travel safely to Arkansas and that his flight back on next Sunday to Vermont is safe, as well.
    i can't wait to start this new adventure and hopefully find that this is the last move in 5.5 years.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Safe travels, friend. I will be praying for your move and the new job. Remember to take your hand sewing with you to keep your mind and hands busy. Hugs....

• baslp
      baslp commented
      Editing a comment
      Safe travels

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Safe travels for both of you. Arkansas will be a big change for you. Hope all goes well. Gina

Good Morning All,

I'm noticing a pattern forming. I'll sleep well one night, the next not so much. It was after 3 before I went to sleep and Mike was leaving at 6:30. I think the closer to Jim and kids leaving gets, the more worried I get. He's never driven a trailer this long. His dad's not here to help him learn or give him tips. sigh

Yesterday evening, Jim called, Morgan's aunt and uncle want to pick Pepper up in Virginia. So Jim's supposed to take Pepper up with him. He was upset because he's already traveling with 3 kids and a camper and truck bed filled. Pepper's not a small dog. So I told him to ship her, there are services that will take the dog where she needs to go. I'd pay for it. Send her to PA and let them worry about getting her to their new home in TN.

Yesterday I did laundry and finished up the V Tech pillows. I need to sweep, vacuum and mop today. Probably should add dust to that list.

Tomorrow, I go to the dentist and have the temporaries replaced.

Have a great day.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Ginny B
      Ginny B commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my gosh, that is a lot to ask of Jim. I hope they can figure out a different way to get Pepper where she needs to be. I will be keeping Jim in my prayers for a safe and uneventful trip.

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t think Jim needs to have a dog to deal with on top of everything else. It’s very unreasonable to ask that of him.

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim just called. He asked for estimates in 'dog transport'. He said they were blowing up his phone last night. (he, he). Estimates are running from 200-600. Apparently, it's a booming industry or a desperate industry? I'll gladly pay to have the dog transported, but with Morgan's pay (double what they told her what it would be when she accepted the contract) I don't think it will be a problem for them to pay it.

Good morning. It has been a long night. The fires around the city of Vacaville just blew up yesterday and things are real serious out there. Steve, Ana and the kids were away camping with another couple since Sunday and they were supposed to be heading home yesterday. Well when they got into an area where cell service was better, all their phones starting blowing up with messages. They were actually on the coast and not in an area close to the fires but would have to find a way home that would avoid most of it. Ana's mom headed up to the Sacramento area and got hotel rooms for them and she stayed there to be there to help when they got there. She lives in Vacaville too and while she wasn't in the evacuation area, her bf is a firefighter and told her to get out. So they got on the road to head to Sacramento in the early afternoon. They were going to have to do a very circuitous route to try and avoid the biggest areas of fires but they did need to get past this one.

fire picture.jpg They finally got to the hotel around 10 p.m. It would normally take the around 4-5 hours depending on traffic and rest stops with the kids. But instead it took 9. My bff texted me late last night to let me know that they had packed the car up with the important stuff and were ready to head out if needed. The evacuation zone was only a few miles from their home at that point. Steve and Ana's place is in the same area so even if they did go home, they would have needed to be ready to leave. And, of course, the smoke is horrible and the ash is about 1/2" thick on the ground in some areas. I am hoping that things have improved overnight. Prayers for all in that area and, of course, the firefighters would be appreciated.

Needless to say , I didn't sleep real well last night so I think I will lay low today. I am supposed to have lunch with Ceil and I might still do that. It is a beautiful day here and it would be nice to sit under the trees and visit with her for a bit.

Have a good day all. Please stay safe. Be well.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope your family is safe. I understand your worry. My grandkids are surrounded by fires. It’s a scary time for sure, especially when we are so far away and we worry. Prayers going out for both of our families for protection.

• laura44
      laura44 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hope all is well with your family. I live about an hour from Vacaville. So much smoke, not just here,
      but everywhere in CA. Several of my friends were evacuated. Prayers for all.

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Praying for your family. My son and his family are in Riverside now - they lived in Sonoma county until a couple of years ago. Scary times all over.

Good morning everyone,

Lots of folks needing prayers today for all sorts of reasons.

Yesterday was work at J's for me. Sooooo much fabric for masks, and yards of elastic being bought by everybody! As always, I was exhausted by the time I got home, and was in bed by 9:30. Apparently, we had a big wind go through during the night, plus a small amount of rain, but I didn't hear a thing! The first I knew of it was when I looked out the window when I got up and saw *lots* of branches down. When I got in my car to leave work, the temp. gauge said it was 100!! I'm sure that was from being parked on the tar parking lot, and by the time I got out of town my car said it was 90. Today it's supposed to be in the high 80's.

I canned another 8 pints of beans Tues. evening. Since we're leaving for the cabin tomorrow morning, I'll be picking them again today, and doing some more canning. If I wait until we get back, the beans will be too big. I finished cleaning and reorganizing the sewing room on Tuesday, so I hope to get in there today. I'd like to try the new mask pattern posted here yesterday.

Sadie's lip biopsy came back as skin cancer. 😞 I have an appointment Monday morning with the vet to discuss options.

It sounds like Monique is having an adventurous good time.
    Jeanne

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Carlie and Barb. It's on her bottom lip. We will probably opt for surgery, but a concern is if they'll be able to cover her bottom teeth with what will be left of her lip.

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Grandma would be drying those too big beans for next years seeds ;-)

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Katrina, so would my dad !

Good Morning!

Well, yesterday was the end to the house being open. Humidity is on the rise again this morning so the house will remain closed up. I will be going over to my daughter's today but will be leaving a little early as I have a shopping list from Dave for some items at Lowe's. Our Lowes closed a couple of years ago. We did a lot of shopping there. Thankfully there is still one fairly close to us. Jennifer has an appointment with her endocrinologist today and tomorrow has another appointment. Both are to make sure she can have her hand surgery at the end of the month. She has "trigger finger". She already had surgery last year on her left hand. The end of the month will be the right hand. She still was having a lot of trouble with the left hand but the doctor sent her to physical therapy and that has really helped. The place she has been going to is sort of a combination of chiropractor and physical therapy. I went there many years ago because of a tailbone issued. I couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes without it starting to hurt. Once I would get up and start walking it would get better. I'm not exactly sure how they did it but they were able to get rid of the pain when I had gone to several other places for PT and they were never able to do anything to help. These gals have told Jennifer what she needs to do to keep the area limber. She probably waiting too long for the first surgery and that may be where her difficulty was. She is doing better but it needs to be surgically fixed on the right hand yet.

I have started sewing the sashing to the block on the sampler quilt. I went through the blocks last night and put them in a pile of light, medium and dark blocks and then sewed a piece of sashing to each. Tonight I will try and arrange them the way I want them and put the cornerstones and remaining sashing on. I have decided that my next project will be to make a quilt for my sister-in-law and her husband for their anniversary. On Dec 7 they will have been married 35 years. I contacted my sister-in-law's two daughters yesterday to get some idea of colors. The oldest was actually working (she is a stewardess) so I told her to get back to me when she is home again. The youngest said colors of forest green, cream and orchid-pink like a bougainvillea. So I looked that up as we don't have those around here. Got an idea and I have a lot of pre-cuts. Now to make up my mind on what pattern to use. I got a kick out of Dave, he told me it would be too warm for a quilt in Arizona. My sister-in-law takes a nap every day, according to her youngest, and wraps herself up in a quilt! So a quilt it will be for their anniversary and as a thank you for all the things they were able to do for Dave's mom and dad that we were unable to do because of being so far away.

I'm off for some breakfast and coffee before I head over to my daughters. Have a great day everyone.
    Carlie

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Trigger fingers ~ I've had 2 cortisone shots in my R. hand for this, each about 9 mos. apart. I noticed recently it's starting to bug me again. I really don't want to have surgery. The carpal tunnel release on my L. hand in Jan. 2018 was enough. I've never been 100% satisfied with it. Maybe it's arthritis related & nothing to do with carpal tunnel. This growing old is not for sissies!

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Joy, my daughter has been through so much lately. First last year going through all her eye problems and then this trigger finger stuff. I don’t remember if she had cortisone shots or not. Hope this one is resolved quicker than the last one. It isn’t as bad as the first so it may recover quicker.

Last night Cheryl helped me cut out several patches on the Accuquilt for my next project. Didn't do much sewing though, as by the time I got the machine threaded and two bobbins wound, I was ready to call it a night. Will hit it harder today.

The saga of the ergonomic rotary cutter continues. Now Joann's tells me it will be here today. We'll see. In looking over the tracking history I wasn't aware that the cutter actually was shipped out of my local store! It traveled to Indy via FedEx and now is headed back home. I don't claim to understand business, but that seems silly to me. Of course, no sillier than forgetting to mention that I had one on hold. Oh well.

Finally got the order of fabric that I've been talking about Only two more out there and then we'll be caught up and through ordering for a while. I received a package from Amazon yesterday that contained crackers. Yes, I said crackers. Being on a low sodium diet, saltines are pretty much out of bounds. Or, you can only put about ten oyster crackers in your soup. I found a brand that only has 60 mgs. per serving (compared to about 170 per serving for most store-bought oyster crackers), so we'll see how they do. Like most things that are better for you, these weren't cheap. But we don't eat a ton of soup now (although I like chili year round), but come winter time we'll see how well they do. I had tried matzos, and while they have no salt I think the box would taste better.

Hope all have a great day and continued thoughts for Cokie and others facing challenges.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Good morning,

I hear the mail truck already so wonder if there is a package for me. LOL, the daily high-lite. I ordered the DD today to begin learning the ruler technique again. I took a class but the instructor was a ditz and kept telling us the wrong steps. Then wondered why we didn't complete her series of classes.

I have a few more blocks to finish a lap quilt using the X and O design. These are made with fat quarters to make a 9 inch block with a snowball on each end. Not sure I still like the fabrics or the design but can use it to practice quilting. It needs to get finished and out of the UFO pile.

Joy, We are getting a Sprouts here soon. They are remodeling an old store so it shouldn't take too long.

Happy Stitches!

PS: I did get a package today!

Comment

Working...
      X