Wednesday Hellos! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Hellos! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I suspect Katrina & I may once again be posting at the same time.

The smoke from the wildfires was very bad yest., esp. in the afternoon & eve. And it was a stinky smoky odor. Very unpleasant. DS#2 who works 30 mi. north of us said it was raining ash when he came out of work in the afternoon. And it was so hot yest. The high temp. was 102! Broke a record.

I finally made it to the sewing room yest. afternoon. Yay! I finished sewing the rows together & added one border. I had planned to added a 2nd, pieced border, but I'm considering stopping with this one. I'm running short on time. It still has to be sandwiched & quilted. My next quilt will be something that doesn't involve a lot of snowballing or matching of the diamonds.

I plan to make a run to the groc. store today. We're getting low on eggs & apples. I also need to go to Sprouts; it's the only place in town I can get raw peanuts. Might also go to the bulk store; we need more honey. I use it when I bake DH's spelt bread.

Good Morning,

Joy I just read up on your wildfires. Doesn't sound like they are going to go away anytime soon. Of the four they mentioned 2 are only 4% and 7% contained. Hope you are not close to these. It said one of them is the largest fire in history. Hopefully with the governor banning any type of fire, campfire, fireworks it will help so that no other fire is started.

Yesterday was a lovely day again, middle to upper 70's and low humidity. If I understood the weather forecast that will be ending either today or tomorrow. On the agenda today is a trip to the pet store. Dave wants to get some smaller angelfish for the freshwater aquarium. We bought some very pretty rummynose tetras for the aquarium and took a while to get them. What a disaster! We put them in the aquarium as normal and the all the other fish in the tank went after them. They were not that small but they killed every last one of them (18). Lesson learned. That is the only excursion today. Laundry is on the list as well which has already been started.

Still on my last applique block for the sampler quilt. Taking it slow because it seems I've been ripping out more than sewing. I'm a little more than half done with this one and it seems to be working out okay.

Off for some coffee and breakfast. Have a great day.
    Carlie

Comment

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear you lost your tetras. I had fish for many years and learned how aggressive they are, especially angel fish. Small fish make a delightful appetizer for larger fish. I lost a bunch of neon tetras that way.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      We've been keeping fish for over 40 years and have never had this happen to this extent. Yes, we've lost some of them but not all in one day. It did come as a huge surprise. Dave figured we would lose about half, not all.

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh no, I always loved having tetras, it doesn't pay to be at the bottom of the food chain.

Good morning. Joy, having lived in CA for 17 years, I remember how that smoke affects everything you do. The weather has sort of a split personality this morning. It will be bright and sunny for a short period, then some dark clouds show up, it rains for a bit, then the sun comes back.

I got all the masks finished yesterday. I've made about 40 over the last few days. Majority of them children's size. With hubby in Brooklyn with his brother and uncles, I had the house to myself for a while afternoon. It was a weird feeling to be alone here for so many hours. We have pretty much been together 24/7 since mid-March.

I think we may move some things around in the sewing room today. I measured things out yesterday to see if my ideas would work. Some will, some not so much.

Have a good day everyone. Be careful if you are in the areas being affected by the extreme heat affecting a lot of the west.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Good morning!

Today will be sunny and in the low 70's. This is our last day of "cool" weather before it starts to warm up again.

I need to run up to the grocery store this morning for a couple of things. I will be in work meetings all afternoon. That's a lot of time on the computer! Tomorrow I will work on site for the first time in five months. I don't feel comfortable with it, but it was expected everyone in my office volunteer to work a couple of days here and there. I need to remember to take a lunch. The parking lot that is open is the one as far away from my office as you can get. There are also check-in protocols -- having our temperatures taken, etc. I'm not sure if that is a one and done deal for the day or if they would need to re-check if we leave the building and come back.

My sister and I had a nice lunch yesterday. One of the hospice nurses called when I got home and said Mom is doing very well and gained a couple of pounds. I asked if she had time to check Mom's room. My sister has been dropping off snacks for Mom, and I wanted to know if they were being consumed or not. They're not. I had a feeling that would be the case with Mom in a wheelchair. She isn't as mobile and wouldn't necessarily remember the snacks were on the counter if she wanted them.

Time to get back to work. I want to finish as much as I can before my meetings start. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good Morning Everyone. It’s a beautiful morning but it will soon be too hot and humid to be outdoors. Jeff fixed our broken mower yesterday so we both took a mower and made a big dent in getting our yard shaped up. I hadn’t mowed for at least a year but it’s like riding a bike...it comes right back.

I got a bit of sewing done yesterday and today I’m packing it away because I’m bored with it. I will pull out another UFO to work on. There is no shortage of UFOs around here.

We have gotten in the habit of taking an afternoon drive most days. There are lots of country roads to explore and a few to avoid.

Let’s remember to pray for Cokie’s husband who just had a liver transplant. She posted a thread asking for prayers.

Today my goal is to make a fabric sandwich and practice machine binding. My hands won’t let me sew by hand anymore.

California has several fires going that are out of control. You could see flames over the rooftops where my DGD lives In Newhall two days ago. Fires are so commonplace that people pay little attention to them unless they are evacuated!

Wishing everyone a great day.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good morning!! I'm up early for work and lazing around till it's time to start at 8. We aren't going back to the office anytime soon. One of my team members tested positive, she was going in for surgery. I wish her a swift recovery!!

I sewed all weekend. Made my granddaughter a collection of masks (7) and a couple bowl cozies. I'll try to get to the post today to mail everything out. I started sewing my dresdens. I'm also working on secert santa gifts. I'm really excited about secert santa, I love creating!

It's hot here but other than run out to the store every so often I stay in doors. I have to get the trash ready for trash day today and go make coffee. Work is always busy busy! I hope everyone has a beautiful day!!

Comment

Good Morning All,

Joy, I checked earlier, didn't see a post so I waited and checked my other emails. ;-) Here's my swing on the back porch. They finished before lunch yesterday.

102_0686.JPG
            Attached Files
            Last edited by KPH; August 19, 2020, 08:15 AM.
            Katrina
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              That is a beautiful porch swing. Might put a bug in my hubby's ear about making us one.

• KPH
              KPH commented
              Editing a comment
              Carlie, Howard bought the swing at the flea market in Gastonia, NC for my birthday after we moved in with Mom. It was hung on her front porch. One of the stipulations on the sale of her house was the swing wasn't staying. We looked for a house that had a porch that I could hang it from, that wasn't meant to be. I'm very glad to have it back. Even after the rains yesterday afternoon, the swing was damp but not wet. So I did get to enjoy it for a bit last night. It's in the shade of the house in the early morning, I can sit under the cover mid day, and the sun sets behind it. I think it's in the best place.

• Cathy F
              Cathy F commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful swing! I hope you get to spend many tranquil moments there.

Good morning! I did some sewing yesterday....first time in months! I found a YT video with a really easy mask pattern. These masks don't have pleats and sew up fast. I made a sample and DH and I decided it needed to be a little larger. I tweaked it and made 6 new masks yesterday using batiks. I plan to make more masks today. Looks like we'll be needing them for some time to come.
            I mowed the yard yesterday afternoon. The type of grass we have gets really thick in late summer/fall and I'm mowing every 6 days to try to keep it under control. It's cloudy and cool here today...feels a little like fall. Have a safe day!
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• KPH
              KPH commented
              Editing a comment
              Myrna, as much as I hate them, I guess masks are a part of our life for a while longer. Numbers are going down in FL now. That's a good thing. Share your pattern, please. I've reached the point, if I have to make more, I want something super simple!

• Cathy F
              Cathy F commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for sharing that link, looks like a good mask. I'm going to stitch one up and see how I like it.

• Momofmonsters5
              Momofmonsters5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Question since you made this. The area where your mouth is ..how many layers of fabric is there? Just curious I read a study that said min two layers of cotton fabric is the safest. One layer alone is like not wearing a mask...it looks like it's one layer..I wanted to try it but I'll modify it to get the two layers and interfacing. Thanks for posting!! My daughter wears glasses and needs one like this!

Nice swing, we used to have one and I really enjoyed it. I am sure you will, too.
            The fires seem awful, I wonder how many are the result of Mother Nature and how many are the fault of dumb or destructive people. I have a friend in Napa and it seems that area is suffering badly, too.
            Our airconditioning is fixed but sort of jury rigged, we have an electrician coming to actually fix it. I need to run to the hardware store for a new thermostat to install. We dislike the fancy one we have, it is difficult to set since it is trial and error, no instructions came with the house.
            I got some border fabric to use on my current project, it is a border stripe that had to be cut crosswise since there wasn't quite enough. Oddly enough cutting it cross ways resulted in enough to miter the corners but it looks better straight cut because of the flowers not being cut in half diagonally.

Comment

Good morning,

Sunny here today and probably another hot one. It was 101 yesterday with boomers in the afternoon and evening. The puddles were across our road but have drained off this morning in time for another shower later.

I'm still thinking of how to arrange my sewing room to fit in a 10 needle machine. I have a combo machine and another sewing machine but love using the embroidery features so I would love to have another machine.

There was a tutorial making bowl cozies so I bought a pack of the batting to use for them. There is a pattern and a template but I can manage this one without them...I think.

Hope your day is a happy one!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                Momofmonsters5 commented
                Editing a comment
                I've made over 100 bowl cozies. Love making them! If you run into issues crafty Gemini has a great tutorial

Cheryl continues to make better progress on the Christmas quilt than I do on anything else. Tried my hand at another star yesterday and let's just say that stars and I are not getting along. I actually changed the design of one of the quilts I want to try because the center was a star. I think it looks better than it did, but that just may be the frustration talking. Finally got word that the order I had talked about earlier had shipped. If the tracking is to be believed, it's supposed to be here today, although I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

The ergonomic rotary cutter I ordered from Joann's (and got the sale price that I would have gotten if I had remembered to tell the cashier we had one on hold) appears to be taking a tour of the countryside. It was supposed to be here Monday, but that was changed to today and now I see it's allegedly arriving Saturday. Good thing we have a couple more.

Hope all have a great day!

Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

• KPH
                KPH commented
                Editing a comment
                lol, I totally get the world traveling packages. I had an order, make 7 stops to get just across the state line, next stop, back to the starting distribution center. Tracking packages can be so frustrating.

• toggpine
                toggpine commented
                Editing a comment
                Rob, have you seen the Marti Michell Perfect Patchwork System? It uses funky looking templates to help get matching pointy points, etc.
                If you want to see if they help, you can just buy the book, which has a ton of patterns in several sizes. Included in each book is a full-size paper set of the templates you can trace and use.
                (I was hooked, and bought the templates)
                Good luck on your wayward parcel!
            Working...
            X