Pie crust hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pie crust hack

I make alot of pies, like every two weeks, mostly quiche or main dish pies (dh doesn't eat meat only chicken). I have never bought a premade crust! I have granite countertops and they are great for rolling out dough but you need to use quite a bit of flour on the surface or it will stick pretty bad. That sometimes means the crust is kind of tough bc too much flour. I have tried other methods, rolling out on parchment or in a ziploc bag, but not too happy with that. Today I tried something new and it worked great! I have an old omnigrid cutting mat (the green one) 18x24 that was in the closet for years because I have a much better larger one on my cutting table. I rolled out my pie crust on the old green mat. It did need a sprinkling of flour but nowhere near as much as needed for the granite. So I thought I would share my repurposing idea with all you other pie bakers out there. Cleanup was super easy too!

Using floured muslin cloth works really well too.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I love these kinds of light-bulb-idea.png moments! I wanted to make some tortillas and don't have a big enough counter or board for my dinning table. Thanks!
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Well I"ll be. that is a great idea. Talk about recycling!!!

Comment

It's been a very long time since I made a pie crust. Even though it's bad for you, I always had the best luck with lard for the shortening. Also used ice cold water. I used to make pie crusts with orange juice. It makes for a nice flavor. I roll the crust out on the kitchen counter top (not granite). I used to use a large breadboard. Who knew a cutting mat would be used for rolling out dough!

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Mom made her pie crusts out of lard, although I never liked the smell of it. Of course, eventually she switched to shortening, but I can still remember how flaky her pies were.

Rob

I am a failure at pie crust. Would you share your recipe please ?

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly, I like Ina Garten's pie crust recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1919026

Rob

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            In addition to Rob's suggestion, I posted my vodka pie crust recipe in the Recipes section, and jjkaiser posted hers below. You have lots to choose from. In general, keep the ingredients very cold, and use the least amount of liquid as possible; just enough to where the dough holds together. Be sure to let the dough rest in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before rolling out. I also found this video to be helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiNTiBeBGxI

Used to make lots of pies each week, and did use lard crust for years. My go to - no mess - to keep on hand is Pillsbury's Refrigerated Pie Crust use it for pies of all kinds, quiche, too, of course. Flaky without all the mess. Folks ask for the recipe! Tee hee.....https://www.pillsbury.com/products/p...ated-pie-crust
          I have tried other brands, but nothing beats this one.
          “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
          “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            So, MHG Winnower, when folks ask for the recipe, do you 'fess up or just smile and tell them it's a secret?

• MHG Winnower
            MHG Winnower commented
            Editing a comment
            I tell the truth! Why not share a good thing. Good question and thanks!

Originally posted by JCY View Post
          It's been a very long time since I made a pie crust. Even though it's bad for you, I always had the best luck with lard for the shortening. Also used ice cold water. I used to make pie crusts with orange juice. It makes for a nice flavor. I roll the crust out on the kitchen counter top (not granite). I used to use a large breadboard. Who knew a cutting mat would be used for rolling out dough!
          I was lamenting that my chocolate chip cookies just didn't taste as good as in the past. Then I remembered that my mother used lard. It really does impart a different flavor and texture. I loved it! I forgot about it being used in pie crusts too. I think we need to bring back that ole lard flavor :-)
          https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
          Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

What a great idea to use your old cutting mat! I usually use a floured pastry cloth on my granite countertop. On a cautionary note, I would not use that cutting mat again for cutting fabric. There is so much fat in pie crust, and some of it is bound to get into the mat. I'd sure hate to get grease stains on my good quilting fabric.

I love to bake pies, too, and have never used a packaged crust. A couple years ago, I switched to using an all butter crust. I do prefer the flavor of butter. To make it even flakier, I swap out half the ice water with vodka. I'm planning a Peaches and Cream Supreme pie later this week, once my peaches are fully ripe. I'll post the recipe later tonight in the Recipes section of the forum.

Comment

• auntstuff
              auntstuff commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been using butter for many years.

Here is my recipe: the larger amts in *( ) are for 2 crusts
            PIE CRUST
            2 C flour * (4C) *
            1 tsp sugar * (2 tsp) *
            3/4 tsp salt * (1-1/2 tsp) *
            3/4 of one Crisco stick (12 Tbsp)-- * (1-1/2 sticks) *
            1 egg, beaten *(1 egg, do not double) *
            2 tsp vinegar * (4 tsp) *
            1/4 C ice water *(1/2 C) *

Refrigerate the flattened ball of dough for 30 mins before rolling it out. Divide dough into 2 balls if making a double crust. Do not leave out the egg, it makes it much smoother to roll out.

Comment

• Bubby
              Bubby commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the recipe I have used for many years. My Grandma found it in one of her magazines and shared it with me.
          Working...
          X