Trying to find......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find......

Here I sit once again trying to find a way to deal with this whole social media stuff without loosing touch with family and friends. I am so sick and tired of all the spreading of hate and fear by both the media and people in general that I would like nothing better than to cut off all contact with any sort of media. I have not watched the news in about 3 weeks and that has helped a great deal but I am afraid that is no longer enough distancing and feel it will only get worse in the next several months with the election coming. If any of you know of a social media site where I can go simply to socialize-no politics, no covid, no fear mongering-please let me know.
    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

I have avoided all types of social media except for a few forums (like this one) that I visit. Twitter is a garbage dump. I don't know too many people who are on Instagram and I haven't been on Facebook for at least seven or eight years. What did it for me and Facebook is that I had several high school friends on there and I realized that many of them were still in school. We are all in our mid-50s, and I've lived ten lifetimes since graduation in 1981, but many of the people were still the same person they were then. When we had our 30th class reunion I decided then it may very well be the last one I attend. I realized that I hadn't been friends with these people for 30 years, but rather we were friends 30 years ago. To be sure, I still keep in touch with many of them, but it's done without the added distraction of things I care absolutely nothing about. I have very strong opinions politically and otherwise, but there's one thing I learned working in retail for the past 20 years. I once told a customer that when I'm on the clock I couldn't care less about red or blue. The only color I cared about was green and how to get more of it from you. That pretty much shuts down most people.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Love your comment about green. DH went to his HS final reunion--40th I think. I went with him to the 20th. He said the people who were jerks in HS still were & the cliquie groups still were the same. Too much smoking & drinking & loud conversation. One had to shout to be heard it was so noisy. I never have been on Facebook or other social media sites. This Forum is all I do, & I enjoy coming here every day. I do watch the evening news, even though I'm tired of hearing about all the C-19 stuff. I'd rather read a good book or quilt.

Social media, wow. I seriously don't know of any myself. I just do quilt forums and email friends. Everything else is lacking for me right now. Good luck.

Comment

• Trudy A
      Trudy A commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found that even many quilt forums are not "safe" from stuff.

• nativetexan
      nativetexan commented
      Editing a comment
      yes, i know! but usually taken care of quickly.

I have facebook to keep up with Howard's family. My side of the family doesn't use it. Mostly I scroll, scroll, scroll.
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Ironic that this topic is being discussed. I have been thinking of permanently deleting my FB account. I think the forum here is enough for me.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I only use this forum. I still have an inactive Facebook from years ago ...it has a lot of pictures I didn't want to lose. My bf and don't do social media and he's late thirties, I'm early forties. People get into too much trouble on social media...its on inactive mode. My friend from HS went on vacation with her BF a few years ago...like 5 years and posted a pic body shaming a guy who was heavy with a girl in a bikini. Saying ....to her 13 year old daughter...this is why you need an education. How can I be friends with someone like that ...employers look at FB. I was done! The kicker in the whole story is her daughter is severely overweight. Too much drama for me!!

Comment

I don't think it's possible to be on social media without people expressing their opinions and trying to convince others. There is something about being behind the keyboard that seems to cause people to forego any semblance of tolerance or kindness. I just say no to all of it.

As to how to not lose touch with family and friends; you can try explaining that you find social media to be toxic and are choosing to abstain. Ask them to keep in contact via e-mail or phone. Reach out to them using those same channels. And sadly, accept that some folks will choose social media over you. This says a lot about their character. Take a deep breath and let go.

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a cousin in IL who has no computer, or even a typewriter. I either call her or write snail mail. Before everyone had computers & cell phones with internet, etc., our family was a big on letter writing. I miss getting those weekly letters. Back then, calling long distance on the phone was costly, since you paid by the minute. It usually was reserved for emergencies. My parents did an annual Christmas letter for years. I stated doing it for my own family in 1970 or 71 & still send one out every year. I treasure the old letters my mom passed on to me that were written by her mom whom I never knew. She died when I was 2 y.o. I still like snail mail & like to send greeting cards with a personal note to friends & family.

• am2901
            am2901 commented
            Editing a comment
            People expressing opinions and trying to convince others is the main thing I don't like about Facebook, which is the only social media I'm on, except for this forum. I stay on it, though, because I've located several distant relatives (and found some very good recipes) I didn't know about, on there. I search for a person, look at their photos and "friends." Usually if a person has the same last name, they're a relative. I've made two good online friends recently who were relatives of my husband. If Facebook would tell everyone not to talk about religion or politics, we could scroll a lot faster.

The extent of my social media is Facebook and this forum. I rarely post on Facebook. Most of my facebook is other quilting groups where I look at quilts that others post. I learned to snooze people, unfollow, etc. I was on a group for my subdivision once, but there was too much drama for me so I sent a message to the administrator to remove me from the group. Best decision ever. One of my cousins used to send me political emails. After I was honest with her and let her know that I don't read political emails, FB posts, etc. she stopped. 2 things I do not discuss with others is politics or religion. I believe we live in a country where we have the right to choose, and we should all respect each other's decisions and realize that we don't need to all agree.

Comment

I was never on Facebook, only to check out pics my kids posted. Everyone went to Instagram. I follow pattern makers and people that make their own clothes. I leave comments and get them back. There are lot's of stories people share there. It's no forum though.

🌺 Lorie

Comment

FB is the only one I consistently use. No one knows my political affiliation. I have friends and relatives with completely competing political (and other) views and express or share very strong opinions on both "sides."

I'll honor their right to think and publish whatever they want ... but reserve my right to scroll past any and all political (and other) posts. In fact I find those targeted ads that FB puts in my newsfeed a lot more irritating.

Comment

JCY I agree on writing letters, it's a lost art now, for me when someone takes the time to "hand write a letter" it says you care, it becomes "very personal" it tells me you cared enough to take the time to sit and think about what you want to say. There's a part of "you" in that letter or card. It's meaningful to the recipient (or should be) . I send lots of cards with notes, even though I seldom receive any back. Instant gratification takes the fun out of anticipating the the next chapter of a persons life, just like a soap opera!! I treasure a hand written letter or card.
                Kathryn
                There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                  Momofmonsters5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love that Army boot camp still does not allow cell phones. My son went through last year and we had to write letters. I will cherish those forever!!

I have a Facebook account and rarely do I actually say anything. I belong to a lot of quilting groups/stores, that kind of thing. I scroll past a lot of stuff that is there.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I guess I’m not “social,” this is all I’m on. I rarely watch the news......sometimes clueless is a blessing...🤪
                  💫 Star lover

Comment

I gave up the news months ago, it is nice to keep my head in the sand. I do enjoy facebook, I see people we have met on vacations and like keeping track of friends that way. I do scroll on by lots of stuff, easy to do.

Comment

I understand the need to insulate yourself for peace & sanity from the constant social media negativity & bad news. I take my news in very small doses. We do very little of FB, mostly quilting sites that I like. We have about 30 FB "friends" and a handful of those we have unfollowed because they constantly post negative, mean spirited things without researching before they post. I find I am much happier listening to music, watching videos that make me laugh or smile and talking with friends on the phone and of course working on my quilting. At least here on the forum, there is no politics allowed. Maybe texting, calling or emailing with friends is better than social media.
                      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                      X