This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! πŸ‡

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours! πŸ‡

Introducing.......The Patagonian Mara.......

E39A547F-1641-41AB-ADA6-7D427E3CC020.jpeg

The Patagonian mara, also known as the Patagonian hare or cavy, is a large rodent species that is often said to look like a cross between a rabbit and a deer, or other hoofed animal. Patagonian maras average 27.5 inches (70 centimeters) in length, with a tail of 1.5 to 2 inches (4 to 5 centimeters). They weigh between 17.6 and 35.3 pounds (8 to 16 kilograms). These animals may walk, hop in a rabbit-like fashion, gallop or strotting β€” a unique form of locomotion, where the animal bounces on all fours. When threatened, Patagonian maras are able to take long leaps of up to 6 feet in the air.

B74767FC-A9EA-433E-958B-395E6BEE5F55.jpeg

Its physical appearance is marked by its long front legs, large ears, and muscular back legs that are perfect for hopping. Its feet are distinctive in shape as well, with a rounded and compact shape that makes them appear to be hoof-like at first glance. Additionally, the head of this species is elongated with a slightly rounded snout that is similar in shape to the head of a kangaroo. The Patagonian mara is covered in a course, brownish-grey fur. Its underbelly, snout, and eyelids, however, are covered in white fur. In captivity, this species has been recorded to live up to 14 years.

The Patagonian mara has only ever been reported in Argentina. Here, this species inhabits large, open grasslands and can be found across significant expanses of the Patagonia region. The Patagonian mara travels in pairs (as it maintains the same mates for life) and the two may cover a territory of around 242 acres on average. The male Patagonian mara is particularly protective of his partner and exhibits the unique behavior of marking her and the area around her with his urine. This practice creates a territory around the female Patagonian mara that moves with her, warding off potential rivals or competitors. Additionally, mating season for this species occurs between August and January, with litters born approximately 100 days after fertilization.

1A07B2E5-E0C2-40B2-B7DB-9D42311D0074.jpeg

Newborn maras are well-developed and their eyes are open. Immediately after birth, the babies are able to move into the burrow that is often shared with several other pairs and their young. When the young are born, the Patagonian mara may live in communal burrows of up to 44 adult individuals (or 22 pairs).

B8B26327-7A0F-4052-B9CD-C2F09C2649EA.jpeg

Within its habitat, this species relies on grass and grass-like plants as its primary food source, although it has also been recorded eating fruits, seeds, flowers and occasionally cactus.

πŸ’« Star lover

Wow! Never heard of them before! Thanks again for the unusual that you show/teach us about.
    Vonnie

Comment

They are adorable!
      Katrina
      β€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I always learn something new & interesting from your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

don't ask me why but first thing i thought of was a kangaroo....

Comment

This is what I absolutely love about MSQC's forum!!
            Star lover, you post information that is amazing!!! I love reading the info you post......I've learned a great deal from you too.
            God Bless!
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
            X