• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monique
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Hello Monday

Good morning dear friends. Well a new week is starting and my last week to work before my vacation. Hubby and I decided we would head out early this year. We are expecting to leave Saturday morning. We will head west and take it from there. Hubby is excited to be heading out. Lots to do this week to prepare.

Well I got all my canning done yesterday, 12 jars of relish and 6 of dills. My son is coming for a visit on Wednesday and will spend the night. I am looking forward to seeing him. I have my fabric chosen to make his wife a couple of masks, she wants "horsey" and we have fabric for that.

So that's it for me for today. Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Good Morning. I’m up but not at’em yet. We got a big rain during dinner last night. It should do wonders for the yard. We are having trouble with our mower. I hope Jeff. An get it fixed before the big mowing begins. We probably should buy a new mower. Every year we say we will buy a new one next year.

I sewed some on a UFO I unearthed when I straightened up the sewing room closet. It’s the Crossing Paths pattern. I think it will make either a table topper or runner.

I bought some zucchini at a produce stand yesterday so baking zucchini bread is on the horizon. I usually devote two days to this project, as it freezes well, so I make extra loaves for the winter. I add some well drained crushed pineapple, which gives it extra moistness and a very subtle taste.

Monique, you have been working so hard besides going through so much that your trip with Les is much needed. I hope you have a wonderful time together and come home refreshed.

Wishing everyone a great day.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Bouse
      Bouse commented
      Editing a comment
      Any chance of a copy of your recipe? I've grown a lot of these and I'd love a recipe that would freeze well.

• Bubby
      Bubby commented
      Editing a comment
      Bouse, I will send it to you in a pm.
      Last edited by Bubby; August 10, 2020, 02:42 PM.

• baslp
      baslp commented
      Editing a comment
      Could you please send it to me too. Thanks
  • JulieC
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2016

Good morning!

We have sunshine this morning. It is going to be a hot day for our porch visit with Mom -- high near 93. Our appointment is a little earlier in the day today, I'm hoping it won't be too hot. I scheduled the visit to give me enough time to be back for my 2 pm counterparts meeting. I'm sure we will have a lot to discuss with all the staffing changes. Two of the other locations have personnel changes due to the layoffs and union bumping rights.

I finished trimming my Halloween panel yesterday. Turns out my best efforts to square up the panel per that video may have made it worse. I measured it multiple times to make sure it was even. I want to start work on the borders today.

I received a voicemail message from a window-cleaning company yesterday morning. The guy said we were on the schedule and they would see us the next morning. Problem: I never called them to set up an appointment. I hired them to clean Mom's windows a couple of years ago. They did a good job. We didn't have them out last year because of Mom's anxiety. They called me a few weeks ago, and I told them we weren't interested right now. I called them back and explained I never set up an appointment. The guy was rather apologetic.

The service / repair industries must be hurting right now. The company we use to maintain our furnaces and air conditioners has a lot of open appointments, which is rare. Usually, you call for a maintenance check and the wait is two months. This time, they had appointments the same day. Then they called me twice trying to move the appointment up. The company said the technician will wear a mask and social distance.

I'd better grab some breakfast and a second cup of tea before logging in to work. Have a wonderful day!
    Last edited by JulieC; August 10, 2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• JCY
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2013

Good Morning, Everyone ~ It was a warm night last night, after a very hot day of 104 deg. Today it's supposed to be 10 deg. cooler, but the rest of the week is expected to be in the 90's again. I'm ready for some cooler weather.

I finally made it to the sewing room yest. I started sewing together the blocks into rows. I stitched together 4 rows before I quit for the day. It's a bit of a trick to line up & nest all those diamonds. So far, so good. I poke a pin into the top of the block so I don't mix up the orientation.

This week I need to make some calls to find another painter. The guy we hired last week felt like he couldn't cope with DH's anxiety & what he felt was his micromanagement, so he quit Fri. I paid him for his 13 hours of prep work. I'm very disappointed, since he was doing such excellent work. He & I got along fine. I live with DH's anxiety & health issues 24/7. I do think he may have some beginning dementia, which breaks my heart. I'm hoping & praying I can find a reliable painter who will do the job at a reasonable price. I'll just have to make sure DH stays out of the way & doesn't interact with the painter. He needs to let me do all the negotiating.

Barb ~ I love zucchini bread, but I rarely make it since I'm the only one who can eat it, & I shouldn't have it because of my diabetes. I also add pineapple & nuts to mine.

Time to get on with my day.

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Bouse, I put pecans in mine.

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Too bad you lost your painter. Hopefully you can find another good one who will do the work for a reasonable price.

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a list made of possibilities. I called one painter this afternoon. He's coming tomorrow to look at the house & give us an estimate. Interestingly, he knows the other painter & said he knows his parents & that Mike used to work for him years ago.
    • CarlieBlilie
      Missouri Star
      • May 2020

Good Morning,

Yesterday was quite hot and the humidity was crazy nuts, dewpoint got to 80 at my house (although not at the airport where they do the temps). Of course the house stayed closed all day. Today the dewpoints are supposed to gradually drop into the 50's which will be a welcome relief, temps are supposed to be in the middle to upper 70's. Joy, I can't imagine all the heat you've been having. We don't normally get to the 100's. Is that normal for your area?

I am quite happy with myself. I stuck to working on my sampler quilt and completed the last 3 pieced blocks. I now have the 3 applique to complete which I've been working on already. Those last 3 pieced blocks gave me fits. They have some woogles in them, points not exactly matching, etc. I did so much seam ripping I was afraid I would stretch the fabric. I may have a little but they look pretty good for the trauma they endured.

Today is grocery shopping this morning, dropping off a couple of things for my son and home again. Planning on a few household chores and then I may visit the last two quilts shops in my section for the Quilt MN shop hop. I've also got about 6 or 7 cups of cherry tomatoes. I be checking those around lunch and picking those that are ready. Since I've had the ones in the house for several days I want to get them cooked up before they spoil. I also have about 8 nice beef steak tomatoes. I think I'll buy another baguette while grocery shopping and make up some tomato gratin tonight to go with the steak we will be having. I may even get a smaller steak for Dave and get a nice piece of salmon for me. We will be grilling for sure tonight.

I'm off on my errands, have a great day everyone.
      Carlie

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        One of my favorite dishes is tomato gratin...yum.
    • KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Good Morning All,

Yesterday was nice, bitter sweet, and brought up a lot of emotions, I'm going to have to deal with soon. I finished reading a friend's book and wrote a review. I'm going to start the second book in the series today. It's by Sandy Wolters, the Spirits series. Book three comes out Friday.

Mike's off today and I really should call the dentist. Jim's got several appointments this week for the sale of the house. Mike's appointment for the car tag is Wednesday. So this week is up in the air. He has next weeks schedule so we'll see what I can work out. If I make the appt close to the afternoon, I may be able to take the bus to the appt and have him come pick me up when he gets off.

I picked up orange fabric for the V Tech quilt. Got the email this morning that my order from Hobby Lobby is ready to ship. So maybe that will be on the agenda soon.

The neighbor I gave Howard's smoker to, brought over a plate and two foil pouches full of BBQ yesterday afternoon. Mike and I will be eating on that later today, we were both too full from lunch to do much other than taste it yesterday.

Time to get busy. Have a wonderful day!
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
        Missouri Star
        • Mar 2012

Good morning! I woke up early today, getting ready to log in to work. I hope this week is less stressful!
        I'm with everyone on this heat. I hate bugs, my poor feet and legs have gotten eaten up by mosquitos. I'm over the bugs, all you've done this summer is battle them, sprayed and done natural remedies. First moths, then knats, Beatles and now mosquitoes. All in the house. Daniel keeps telling me, you always wanted to live in the country...Haha If this house was properly sealed they would stay outside! End vent on bugs lol
        We went to eat yesterday..so good not on my diet but can't pass up great Chinese food. Then we went to Albersons and spent a lot of money on food. Healthy eating is not cheap but work it! Love their produce there.

off to the daily grind..have a wonderful day!!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I keep wanting to go to sprouts...I love sushi ..nothing raw. Heard they have a great selection.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand your bug dilemma. We live in the country. For chigger bites we found that hand sanitizer takes the itch right away. Not sure if it works on mosquitos since we don’t have them. We have issues with millipedes every year at this time, along with snakes, spiders, Grandaddy Longlegs and animals. Good luck.

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          In Florida, I have Knock Out, Greg comes every three months and more if I need him. Well worth it!
      • Rhonda K
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2017

Hello Monday!

Sunny and cloudy here today. Looks like it may rain later. Party for our grandson was fun. DH and I sat on the porch and cheered him as he did his pinata. He was so excited to see the candy and a few pieces made him happy. Just like grandma with a few pieces of fabric. It was great to see our son too. He took a nap on the couch since he had been fishing all night and then had a nice chat with his dad about life and job plans.

The table topper just needs the binding. I managed to square it up ok after misting a little to block out the borders the the correct size. It had been one rip after another right from the beginning. The label should say "rip it good". This was a project that jumped in front of others. You know, the ones you do, just because.

Think that I will take a day off from the office today. Can I do that?

Hope you stitching day goes without ripping!
        Just one more stitch...

Comment

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          Can’t wait to see your table topper!
      • Mimi_Howard
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2016

Good Morning to all. So glad I went thru the clothing donations one more time (in a calmer state of mind) and did find couple items that I had intended to keep for future memory sewing projects. I will venture out this morning to see if the cell phone store is open. I need to drop the honey's phone from my account and seems the shared data does not roll to me now. Well of course NOT, that would just be too much of a good deal for me! Trying to do chat thing with rep on line was just not cutting what my options were going to be, I need to talk to someone. Since I need to mail a package I might as well try store first over their 800#. Store and mail drop are in the same strip mall.

Saturday when my daughter came to pick up stuff from dads she had a box of books with her. Seems the little ones sent them so they could have "story time with Mimi". Yesterday at lunchtime we did face time and I read to them one of the books. I did a short one just to test their attention span with this method and it worked out great. Oh and they asked for a tour of my house... I knew the sewing room was going to cause some interaction... hey Mimi what is behind the big purple curtains? Yep they got to see the fabric stash, mess and all. Hope they don' t use my closet in the future to justify their messes!

Time for 2nd cup of coffee and on with my day. Hope all have a good day!

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2020

For the first time I ordered the Daily Deal this morning. Blue and yellow are my favorite color combinations, so I think it will fit in perfectly for a quilt I've designed, that I just might try to do myself.

Doubt, however, there will be too many deals in our future. Cheryl told me yesterday that the dryer, which is 8 years old, didn't get a load of towels dry. It worked fine Saturday, but decided to go kaput yesterday. Called the repairman this morning and likely will be at least $300 to fix, which is still cheaper than the $700 for one I saw at Lowe's website. The dryer is an LG, and we've had good luck with it since we bought it, but I really don't want to spend the money to replace it. Made me think about the first washer and dryer my mother ever owned. Before Dad died,. she would go to the local laundrymat on Monday to do her washing. In fact, Dad died on a Monday and his boss had to go by the laundrymat and pick Mom up and tell her that Dad had died. Anyway, Mom decided it was time to invest in a washer and dryer. She bought a Maytag in a hideous brown color that likely was popular at the time. It was smaller than most washers/dryer sets today, but Mom kept them going from 1969 until 1984 when she got remarried. They were working just fine when she sold them. I'm sure during the years she had to have them repaired, but I can't imagine getting 15 years out of a major appliance any longer.

This will be the first day I hit the machine without Cheryl looking over my shoulder as she is at work. I made sure the bobbin had plenty of thread along with the spool, so unless the thread breaks I should be OK. Working on a simple nine patch project that I decided to use some of my good Civil War reproduction fabric (not the Kansas Troubles, but some clearance I got at Hancock's of Paducah). I can tell the difference between it and what we bought Saturday at Joann's. The difference is amazing. I've always read about how quilt shop fabric is better, but now have first-hand experience.

Have a happy Monday all.

Rob
          So rather than practice makes perfect, I encourage you to think practice makes better.
          Quilts and More Magazine Summer 2021

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten about coppertone. Our house was built in 1972, so we had (& still have) the harvest gold & avocado green. Our bathroom has the harvest gold. I'm not getting rid of my larger water tank any time soon. Those smaller toilet tanks sometimes have to be flushed twice, so where is the water savings. I do wish I had new flooring in the kitchen & carpeting throughout the entire house.

• Rob the HOAQ
            Rob the HOAQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, that was it. I looked it up after you mentioned that, and I found the ones that Mom bought. She also had a harvest gold oven and dishwasher. I remember the first microwave we got. It was as big as a television.

Rob

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            If memory serves there was also an orange color that was popular at that time.
        • Nwmnteacher
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2014

Good morning everyone,

I've been catching up on emails this morning since I was at the cabin all weekend with no internet (which I think is great). My DD and her roommate were there as well. We had a great time....went thrifting, had supper at the Timberwolf Inn on the patio, and enjoyed a campfire Sat. evening. Sun. morning brought thunderstorms, but by the time we left at 10 the rain had stopped. On my drive home, I ran into more bad weather. I don't think I've ever seen the sky so black! The rain was a deluge, and I had to pull off the road into a parking lot to wait until the visibility improved. I'm sure glad it didn't hail!

While shopping at a thrift store, DD found a mid-century modern dresser which she fell in love with, and purchased. Luckily, it just fit in the backseat of her car, and now it's safely at home in her apartment. It was in excellent shape, and she only paid $60. I also found a tall, 7 drawer chest in an antiques/refurbished store that I brought home for my sewing room. DH says, "Where are you going to put that? You couldn't fit a piece of paper in that room!!!" So, on the agenda today will be some rearranging and maybe purging in the sewing room. Picking green beans and canning are also a possible item on the list.

I work tomorrow, then hope to go back to the cabin on Thursday. Sadie is doing well after her biopsy. She has pain meds and an antibiotic to take daily. I'm nervous to hear the results from the vet....probably tomorrow or Wed. I better get started on the sewing room so the chest of drawers can be moved in this evening. Enjoy your day. Jeanne

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Thrift store finds always are nice. The furniture probably is better made than new, & certainly cheaper. After DS#2 moved back to CO, he bought quite a few items for his apt. from local thrift stores & from Craig's List. One thing I'll no longer buy used is upholstered furniture -- too much risk of acquiring bed bugs!
        • KPH
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2015

Well, made the appointment for 2 with the dentist. A root canal and crown, just made my afternoon. I'm beat, and I've been drowned.
          Katrina
          From NC, retired in FL
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2014

Bubby, Spiders and snakes!! No thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
            X