Wednesday hellos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday hellos

Hello everyone. It was another very quiet day with very little mail. Apparently it was the same at the other post offices. Not sure what that means for today. I made a phone call yesterday to inquire about clothing allowance. It seems I do have points and can order some shirts and/or pants. It's a good thing I called. They sent me the order form and information I need as well. I am really happy about that. Now to get measurements.

Not much else happened. We went out for supper, we picked up a pizza and shared it with my sister-in-law. I did a little embroidery and will probably continue with that today. Hubby has been looking around for campsites and we may just spend a couple of days back where we were last weekend. Not too far away. The only difference will be no electricity or running water. We always had those but I think we can do without those. We will use lots of ice and coolers for this trip and I would only bring my phone. I have a pump for the big water bottles, the kind that go on a water cooler, so water won't be a problem either.

I have a load of wash on and will hang that out before I go to work. Hopefully it dries today. We had a full day of much needed rain. It is supposed to be nice now the rest of the week.

So that is it for me. Have a wonderful day friends. Thoughts and prayers to those who need them. Hugs to everyone. Stay safe and healthy.

Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning All,

Yesterday, sunny all day and thunderstorms after dinner. We had harder rain and a lot more lightning than during the hurricane that blew up the Atlantic Coast. I hope we hear from Terry, Oak Island was hit hard, I don't know exactly where Terry is. I wonder what she'll think about coastal living now.

I quilted up the last ugly. On to making more binding and putting that on. It's a good thing, I'm tired of this project. I watched part of the Shabby Fabrics Jelly roll Bowl Cozy. Cool that they now have a template to make the cuts, plus precut batting pieces. I doubt that I'll purchase any after making so many for the last time the Tuell family came for Christmas. It's an even year so they supposedly will all be back this year, not sure if those over seas will be coming or not. lol, the main reason I made so many Christmas Uglies.

Today, Jim's taking the day off. He's picking me up and taking me to see the camper. Good timing, too, since there was so much rain yesterday. I'm excited to see it. They're already planning to paint the inside lighter colors, using the same color palette as their current kitchen. I'll have to see the flooring to see if that will really work. They're wanting to use self sticking backsplash, etc. nothing terribly expensive. I suggested painting the insides of the cabinet white. I'll also suggest little battery operated tap lights for the deep cabinets. Hopefully, everything will work out for them. They already have their first campsite booked. Jim's planning on starting their camper home school in September.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring, but I hope you all have a wonderful day!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe Terry is a little north of New Bern.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ The painter came by yest. & we discussed what needs to be done with the house. Because we know his parents from church, & we're seniors & DH is Vet., he's giving us a considerable discount, so the estimate was acceptable. He's planning to come today to begin the caulking.

I finally made it to the sewing room yest. & finished snowballing the rest of the corners. Yes! I'm glad that's done. Now I can begin sewing together the blocks.

The C-19 virus has touched us indirectly. My gr. dau's best friend's bro. in IL has died. He tested positive at a clinic & stayed home rather than going to the hosp. One day he had some problems breathing, but the next day seemed better. His bro. went to check on him & found him dead at home. He was only in his late 20's. And the dad of the family is very ill with the virus, & is in the hosp. ICU. They're afraid to tell him that his son has died for fear the grief will overwhelm him & he'll give up. This is a family with which my GD lived before she was married & her best friend was the maid of honor in her wedding. My GD is taking it pretty hard. This virus is no respecter of persons & is taking the young as well as older folks. The local school district has changed it plans & now will start school with remote teaching at home for at least the first 6 wks. of school.

This a.m. I'm taking the car over to the shop to have the power steering checked. I've sensed some changes recently in the steering. There is more play in the steering wheel & it feels a bit different when turning. I hope it won't be anything too major, but it needs to be checked out & fixed. After all, the car is 24 yrs. old! It's a Mercury Grand Marquis. It's been a really good car & we want to keep it as long as possible.

The tropical storm hit MD yest. The only casualty in DS's yard was a small tree that was uprooted, & the usual twigs & debris that come down from the trees in the yard. There was a tornado in their town & lots of rain as well as low lying flooding. They feel very fortunate.

Comment

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Joy, how sad for your GD.

Good morning!

It is a beautiful day here, temps will be cool with a high in low 70's. I already have the windows open.

I mentioned yesterday I was contacted by a co-worker seeking help on a procedure processed by another department. Turns out the entire department was eliminated, not just the one person. That definitely explains the confusion! The good news is, one of the employees from that department was able to bump into an open position in my co-worker's department. She should be able to shed some light on policy and procedure.

I auditioned border fabrics for my Halloween panel yesterday. I had one picked out, but wasn't sure if it was quite right. It is definitely the best of the bunch. Some of my Halloween prints are directional, I will have to take that into account when I piece the back.

The thread I ordered from Amazon has been delayed. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday. Amazon needs to work on their communication. They don't email you if something won't be delivered on time. You have to go into your account and check the status. New expected delivery date is Saturday at the latest. If it isn't delivered by then, I will cancel the order.

I'd better get logged in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good Morning Everyone. I see many of us are up and busy already!

image_118231.jpg Our beautiful cool weather is leaving today and summer returns. It’s been a nice break for all of us.

We made a quick trip to Walmart yesterday to buy a toaster and a few groceries. Quantity limits are still in effect and being enforced.

Monique, you are a true pioneer. I admit that I’m a sissy about camping. I don’t like having to deal with the bugs, bathroom issues, cooking, etc. I admire your spirit of adventure.

Cathy was going to begin posting pictures of her quilts today but they are having power outages from the hurricane so I will continue until things are back to normal for her. The quilt above was made from Jenny’s tutorial called Circles, a very old tutorial. It is simply circles cut from 10” squares and machine appliqued (raw edge) onto a 10” square. The ‘frames’ of fabric left from cutting the circles are also appliquéd onto a square. In keeping with the circle theme I rounded the corners of the binding. This was a fun and fast make. It’s also cute made into a baby quilt using charm squares. I wish I had a better picture. It also bounced to the top of my post, not sure how.

Have a great day friends....
      Last edited by Bubby; August 5, 2020, 11:01 PM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        love your circles

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the circles. Pretty fabrics. Gina

• Paisley
        Paisley commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m enjoying your quilts so much, thank you. I’m off to watch this tutorial because I want to make this but don’t know I’d the fabric is cut away behind the circles. I like your fabrics in this quilt and am waiting for you to share the quilt in your cabinet that has the yellow center squares of the blocks.

Good morning,

Happy to see Wednesday roll in this week. Time for a few errands and a few hours in the office today. I hope to squeeze in a visit to the LQS. The day can easily slip away and then I wonder what happened to it. Grandson is spending the night tonight which is always fun. Maybe I can work on the garden beds while he plays in the sprinklers tomorrow.

Table topper is quilted except for the borders and binding. I bought a few pillow patterns so now to decide which ones to make. The covers can be switched out by the season and just use the same pillow form. One pattern uses the rag technique on strips sewn in a grid design so I will need to buy some scissors for that. Time to use up some jelly roll scraps.

Terry, I hope you are doing well in your area after the storm. Clean-up isn't fun.

Joy, Nice to have painting done by someone else. We plan to have someone paint the house in the Fall when it's cooler. He already painted the trim. We changed from dark blue to white and it made such a difference. A new coat of paint always looks so fresh and clean.

Happy Stitching to all!

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Rhonda, make sure you buy rag snips. Fiskar is a good brand.

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        How nice to have your house freshly painted. We live in a cedar house and I miss being able to change the color. All we can do is power wash it and reseal it to freshen it up a little. A cedar house can be painted but it’s very labor intensive doing the prep followed by three coats of paint.

Happy Wednesday! It is our DS birthday, how did he get to be 46? We are taking him steaks, grape salad and tater tots for a cook out tonight. It has been too long since we have seen them so I am excited. I am also making a cake from a mix with homemade icing. That cake mix box sure seems light.🤔
      I did some food shopping yesterday and made a Lowe's stop an that was about all, no sewing and maybe none today.
      Delta has once again changed our flights for Sept. They are determined that we will take a 6AM flight home, bummer. We can do that of course but that is a rude way to end the vacation. 😣
      Here is the partially put together 60 degree quilt top, there are borders yet to add.IMG_1348.JPG

Comment

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Claire, that looks fabulous! Gina

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        Claire, the cake mix box seems so light because they thoughtfully removed all the calories. Your quilt is gorgeous!

• Paisley
        Paisley commented
        Editing a comment
        This is pretty and what a pretty stash quilt.

Good morning everyone,

Monique, your camping plans bring back childhood memories for me. We camped a lot, and it was usually in a place with no running water, bathroom, etc. Once, we traveled 20 miles by boat up the English River (I think it was in Canada) and camped on an island. I think we were fishing for lake trout. I remember the bugs were horrendous!

Joy, I'm impressed that your car is still running after 24 years! My dad always said the older cars were so much easier to fix when needed.

The weather here in NW MN looks to be just about perfect: 80 for a high, light wind, and no rain, although, my garden would like a little bit of water. Today is DH's birthday, and our son and family will be coming over for supper. DS will be grilling his "famous" chicken legs, and I'll make the sides. I made a quick trip to Grand Forks yesterday to buy the chicken legs (none in our little town), and gift cards from the Golf Center for DH. He's really difficult to buy for, but loves golfing, so that's usually what we get for him. DD texted me to get one from her too since she won't be able to be here.

Tomorrow I have to be at the vet's office with Sadie by 80. She's having a biopsy on a growth on her lower lip. It will be an early morning since we're an hour from Grand Forks. I'm hoping it's not cancer.

Time to get on with the day. Jeanne

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        I hop it’s not cancer. Prayers for your baby.

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Praying for it not to be cancerous. Gina

Good Morning,

Today is again beautiful and cool, about 57 right now. Unfortunately it is the end to cool and less humid weather. Temps are predicted to be in the 80's today and the dewpoint will be going up all day. By Saturday we will be back in the 90's and very sticky. That would be normal for August anyway.

Monique, I had one adventure in sleeping in a tent. I participated in a black belt camp (I had just earned my black belt in taekwondo). Quite an experience, slept on the ground and it rained all night and the tent leaked so I did not really sleep. Oh, I forgot to mention, I was about 54 years old too. Don't think I'd do that again. My husband tells the story about the time they went camping. His mother put his shoes outside the tent because of the smell and in the morning the shoes were wet. His dad said "That's it! Pack everything up. We're going to the Holiday Inn". They never camped again.

Joy, I agree with you about this virus, it has been taking young and old. I think some of the youngsters didn't think it would affect them so they were not taking precautions. I hope and pray they are now seeing that they also need to be cautious. My daughter has been very frustrated with the schools in her town. They told her she needs to let them know what she was going to do with her kids, send them to school or distance learning. However, they didn't tell her what the going to school was going to look like, would they only go a couple days a week and then distance on the others? She decided to send her two girls, 12 and 15, to school and keep the youngest, 10 next month, at home. He has asthma and so she doesn't feel he can be wearing a mask for that long. I asked her if she had checked into some of the online schools. She had but they require the child to do computer work for 6 to 8 hours at a time. She doesn't feel that Carson would be able to do that, probably due to his ADHD mainly.

My cherry tomatoes are producing like crazy. I found a recipe to make a cherry tomato sauce and tried that yesterday. Came out quite good. I will be able to freeze this sauce. I had about 4 cups of tomatoes and it made about 2 cups of sauce, quite thick so I may have roasted the tomatoes a little too long. Like the flavor though. I have 4 plants, 2 Amish paste, a beef steak and a cherry tomato. The Amish haven't produced much but that is okay. Once I start picking those I plan to peel, core and freeze them and will make either tomato paste or tomato sauce with them. Last year I ended up with about 14 quarts of tomato sauce. I haven't used it all yet, had to use up the canned stuff I had already bought. I don't use much tomato sauce during the summer but when I start making spaghetti and chili a lot they will disappear.

Just a little sewing got done yesterday. I have several applique pieces the need to be marked so I can baste first before I do the applique. I will probably work on that later today. This morning Dave wants to go to the pet store, he needs some R/O water for the fish aquariums. I need to pick up a head of iceberg lettuce. I forgot to get some Monday when I got groceries. BLT's are on the menu for either lunch or supper today. I love having fresh tomatoes. I never liked tomatoes until I got pregnant with my first child, my son. Now I can't get enough of them. Lately I've been throwing some of the cherry tomatoes in a pan and searing them and adding them to some other veggies I've been having for lunch. Just those with a little protein, right now we have leftover chicken. Tastes pretty good and is filling and it seems to stick with me through the afternoon so I'm not snacking.

Have a great day everyone, I hear a cup of coffee calling my name!
      Carlie

Comment

• Bubby
        Bubby commented
        Editing a comment
        Carlie, you need to share your cherry tomato sauce recipe with Cathy F. They have an over abundance of them.

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        I shared the recipe on Yummy Recipes.

Good morning all. We we made it through the storm with just a few branches down, flickering lights but our power stayed on this time. Others on the island and up north a bit by my sons and sis not so lucky. We did have a tree go down about 3 houses further up the block but it was in the front of the house and all the power lines here are run through the backyards so it didn't affect the power. My sis checked in from the car (she was charging their phones there). Haven't heard from the boys yet but luckily Rob got a generator just a couple weeks ago so they have some power. Need to check on Kat and Joe and Vicky and Ken in a bit. Luckily Kathryn and Joe have a gas stove so they can still cook. Vicky and Ken have a grill outside.

I hope Terry is ok. And anyone else who was or will be getting affected by Isaias.

Be well all.
      Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        Even with a gas stove, the igniter to light the flame usually requires electricity. They may be able to light the burners with a match.

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a gas stove, and yes, you can light the burners with a match.

Will be in the upper 70s here today with little humidity, so I'm going to grill out for supper tonight. Nothing fancy, just hamburgers. I'm waiting for my order from Kansas Troubles, which was supposed to arrive yesterday. Postal service seems slower and slower, but that could just be me. Of course, I can't start anything sewing-wise until we order the new machine, but I can start cutting things out.

Went to Home Depot the other day to pick up some Schedule 40 3/4 inch PVC pipe. Cheryl has a Flynn Quilt Frame that she needs to extend, so we bought 24 inch lengths. In his directions, Flynn says not to use PVC pipe but rather metal conduit, but unfortunately we can't fit that in our Hyundai, and our local store won't cut pipe, even for a fee. Given that the wall of Schedule 40 is actually thicker than the fiberglass rods that come with the kit, I'm not sure why it wouldn't be an acceptable substitute, especially since the end pieces fit just fine. I guess we'll soon find out.

Not much else to report. Hope everyone has a great day!

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Bubby, I thought that too, but Schedule 40 pipe is very rigid. Like I said it's actually thicker than the fiberglass rods that came with the kit. Guess we'll see.

• GuitarGramma
        GuitarGramma commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to have a Flynn, and I used conduit as he suggested. Whoo, boy, was that a heavy set up! I think you'll be much happier with Schedule 40 pipe. Please do let us know if it worked well for Cheryl.

• Rob the HOAQ
        Rob the HOAQ commented
        Editing a comment
        GuitarGramma, I hadn't thought about that, but I'm sure you are right, especially if you had a large quilt. Anything over 50 inches we send to a longarm quilter, so that's another reason why I think the PVC pipe would be fine, i.e., because it won't be that big a quilt on it. I definitely will let everyone know how it works out.

Hi Everyone,

I apologize yet again that I have been AWOL so much, but I wanted to pop in and let you know that last night I finally finished unpacking my office! This means that my self-imposed moratorium from sewing has ended! I'm so excited.

I truly had been paralyzed by the mess in my office, and you all were so sweet to tell me to just take it a day at a time (I really took to heart the advice: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time"!) And now it is complete. Yippee!

Blessings to all!
      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Back again ~ What a busy morning I've had! I dropped my car off at 9 a.m. & was given a courtesy ride home. I decided while my car was out of the garage, I would back out the other car & do some vacuuming. Well, one thing led to another -- you know how that goes. I decided I would do some deep vac'g, which meant moving things out from the wall. You may remember we had that problem through the winter with the mice. Soooo many droppings! Ick! They were behind & under everything. Then I decided I'd also mop! I didn't get the garage floor mopped last summer. So still more work was done. The mop water was absolutely black! I ran the fan to help the floor dry more quickly. Finally got everything put back in place. Mouse traps were re-set. DH put together new glue boards to replace the ones from last year that were full of bugs. More work needs to be done out there, but it won't be today. I finished at 1 p.m. & had to take another bath. I was dirty & sweaty.

Diagnosis on the Mercury ~ it needs new ball joints, upper & lower, on both sides, a wheel alignment, & they recommended a power steering fluid flush. They may or may not have the work completed by closing time today. It's not a problem if they keep it over night. The cost will be almost $1,100. They will test drive it & if there are other problems, they may have to take a look at the gear box, which would be an additional expense. Hoping that won't be needed. DH was just saying, "How are we going to pay for all these bills?" He has a root canal coming up on Friday (not covered by ins.), & next week will be the painter's bill. DH worries unnecessarily about the cost of things. We have adequate funds for the bills.

The painter came at 9 a.m. this a.m. & has been working on caulking, wiping down certain areas with a damp cloth, etc., getting things prepped. He's a good worker.

This day is another hot one. Currently 92. We hit 95 deg. yest. In the eve. a few mi. east of us they had some good sized hail. Glad that missed us. The forecast for the next several days is for upper 80's to low 90's.

I'll be relaxing the rest of this day.
        Last edited by JCY; August 5, 2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          GuitarGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          What a day you've had, Joy! It doesn't make it any easier that it's so hot right now.

• Claire Hallman
          Claire Hallman commented
          Editing a comment
          When all that is fixed it will be like a new car. My DH worries about money , too. We save all our lives and when we can it is hard to turn around our thinking and be willing to spend. It is a difficult habit to break.
      Working...
      X