Raccoons in the Yard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raccoons in the Yard!

Oh my! I just went into the kitchen to pull the drapes & saw some dark objects milling around the base of the crab apple tree. It was a mama raccoon & 5 babies! The first ones I've seen this summer. They lumbered across the back yard, climbed the chain link fence, down the other side, then crossed the alley into the neighbor's property. I wonder if they hid under our shed like they did last year. We live only 2 houses away from a creek, which I think attracts the wildlife. Hope they didn't leave any scat for me to clean up. I'll check the yard tomorrow. When we used to have a Golden Delicious Apple Tree, the coons were around more often.

My back yard backs up to a semi abandoned property that was once the owner’s orchard. Now, they mow but never harvest the fruit. Apples are dropping and feeding a large family of different critters, groundhogs, raccoons, squirrels, all who are feasting on the bounty of fallen fruit. Groundhogs have moved under my deck, and have a huge burrow and tunnel network. I’ve live trapped and relocated 4 but there are still more! Making me crazy!

Comment

• Mimi_Howard
      Mimi_Howard commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Jean...I feel like my life is channeling the movie "groundhogs day", but you actually have groundhogs living with you (well under your deck). That would definitely drive me crazy.

There used to be a pasture behind us and all sorts of critters came into our yard. There was a whole colony of groundhogs and they loved the apple tree in our back yard. I never knew they could climb trees until I saw one going for an apple at the very top and the tree swaying back and forth. It was determined to get that apple and it did! Funny that it did not fall. It was so fat and the branches so skinny. It was a small tree. When we first moved here, our neighbor complained about his collie having a confrontation with a skunk! He said it took forever to get the stink out of the collies fur! One Christmas we had a very large possum come for a visit. Stared at us through the window. Now that they put a retirement community behind us, we have different critters roaming around! Just kidding. We are old enough to move into there. My oldest asked when we were going to move. I told him when I could no longer use the stairs. I secretly think he wants us to move near them so they can start having kids and have a free babysitter!
    Last edited by Vonnie; August 2, 2020, 06:27 AM.
    Vonnie

Comment

I trapped a racoon once, took him out to the river 7 miles away....I swear that racoon must have been hanging onto the bumper all the way home, as he was in the driveway the next day. For a while, under my house was a wildlife refuge! I trapped 4 skunks, a possum and 2 racoons! not to mention the huge cotton mouth snake in the back yard!! Before coming to Oklahoma, I was a purebred city girl. My first skunk I trapped, it was about 4 am, I heard the trap door shut, on the front porch I was in the sewing room, thinking it was a cat, I looked out the door, geez Louise, it's a skunk. ran to get dressed, standing in my living room I looked upward, I said "I could use some help here"!! I'd been watching wildlife programs on tv, and knew if the skunk saw you it would spray. So I'm thinking I have to put something over the cage, I ran back into the house got some black fabric. So here I am at 4 am, holding up black fabric to cover me, creeping up the front steps, (I'm gonna die if someone sees me) slowly cover the cage. Gently put him in back of the pickup, thinking I'm going to throw cage and skunk over the bridge, then I knew that wasn't humane, so to a side road I go, by that time the fabric had blown off the cage.....all I had to hide behind was the floor matt!!! there I am creeping again, got the fabric back on the cage, carried it to the side of the road, lifted the door, he shot out of there so fast I barely saw him....I quickly said "Thank You Lord"
      Kathryn
      Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

• Vonnie
        Vonnie commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so funny! I bet you can laugh about it now!

• Cokie
        Cokie commented
        Editing a comment
        But it makes a good story, right? lol

We had a skunk that got in our garage once. DH had a great idea to get it out. He was going to stand in the door from the kitchen to the garage and throw tennis balls at it to move it toward the garage door, and I was going to go and open the garage door so it could run out. Ummmm...I don't think so! We raised the garage door a little bit and he wandered out on his own without anyone getting sprayed!

I know we have them in our neighborhood. I was driving home one night and saw a mama skunk with five little babies walking after her in a row crossing the street. They were really cute.

Critter tales! We just have some cute little bunnies and squirrels here.

Comment

Yesterday evening we had a big cottontail go after a squirrel. The cats went crazy watching this. I had no idea that bunnies would chase a squirrel. It was really funny to watch.
        No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
        Aesop

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          I've watched bunny & squirrel interaction as well. Haven't seen the rabbit chase the squirrel. The squirrel seemed like he was curious & maybe wanted to play. It basically was a stand-off.

Where we lived in Owatonna our house was next to a ravine and we got all sort of critters. We did see a lot of groundhogs. I never knew they would climb a tree and we had three apple trees, too. Never saw them do that. We had possums and deer, too. One late night when my daughter was about 16 or 17 I heard a commotion out on the deck. I got up in a huff ready to get after her about being up so late. I turned on the outside light and opened the door and found 5 baby raccoons sitting on the deck. My dog Brandy, a small dachshund, went crazy. Those raccoons would have eat her up in a heartbeat. They didn't want to move either. I also remember my daughter telling me she saw wild turkey. I never believed her but about a year before we moved there were turkey in our yard, had to apologize for not believing her. Oh, and all types of birds. Loved watching and listening to the birds.
        Carlie

Comment

We live outside the city limits on a bit of acreage. When we first moved out here there were very, very few people her. The roads were not paved. We've seen & encountered numerous wild critters in our yard during these years. When we first moved here there were quail everywhere & we would see the little momma with all her babies following behind. We've had many encounters with skunks (and so have our dogs), opossum, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, rats, peacocks & turkey & snakes & various birds. I thought the turkey was my neighbors but she said no...she thought it was mine. It hung around our yard for months & finally disappeared one day. Now that it's more populated out here we don't see as much as before. The quail, peacocks & turkey are all gone but we do see the rest on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
          X