Saturday Greetings! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday Greetings! :)

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I don't see a new thread for today, so I'll get us started.

Last eve. I was on the computer, totally oblivious to the weather. When I got up to turn off the swamp cooler, I saw a big flash of light. Discovered it was pouring rain outside. I scurried to close all the windows. I don't like to leave any windows open when it's lightning. We had a good downpour. It really cooled off things. Our high temp. yest. was 94. It had dropped to 73 at bedtime. It's a cool 58 this a.m.

My plans for today include cooking DH's Anasazi beans & changing his bed. Might run the vac., too. No more time now.

Morning all,

Sun is shining and it felt a little cooler when I woke this morning. Thursday night we had a terrible storm pass through part of our county, long time since we had a storm like this what a downpour and high winds but we surely needed the rain everything has been so dry.

Well it seems they 2 deer we had wandered next door and feasted on my neighbor's garden took bites out of the tomatoes that were ripening and some of the other veggies and chewed up their Hostas. This is the first year they had a garden so you can image their disappointment. We brought them over a large bowl of tomatoes and they were happy to have fresh garden tomatoes even if they weren't from their garden.

May go up to the sewing room if the temp is comfortable up there and finish off a few more masks.we may make a trip to our daughter's next weekend and would like to take her some more.

Well time for coffee so I'll wish everyone a good weekend!
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      After he retired, my Dad had a garden in his backyard. Deer weren't a problem like they are now, but the neighborhood rabbits were enjoying the fruits of his labor (and his lettuce). He put up a fake chicken wire fence, made out of thin plastic, thinking the rabbits would be too stupid to realize it wasn't real chicken wire. The joke was on him! They chewed right through the fence and had a feast. He only used real chicken wire from then on. It kept out the deer and the rabbits.

• LauraP
      LauraP commented
      Editing a comment
      deer find the scent of lavender unpleasant. They could hang sachets around the garden and then plant some next year.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Raccoons love sweet corn. Coyotes also have been known to eat it.

Good Morning, We had a little more rain during the night. So far this week we got about a half inch total. Other places nearby got 7-8 inches. It’s considerably cooler this morning.

I just gave the Girls their monthly preventative meds for fleas, ticks and worms. Maggie and Sugar weigh very different amounts so I have to buy these meds in different sizes based on body weight. It’s a bit of a 3-ring circus getting them to take everything, even hidden in cheese.

Yesterday was a productive day. I tore the kitchen apart and cleaned everything, then washed the Jadeite collection that’s on display in the kitchen and finally made a large batch of dog food for the freezer. Luckily we had leftovers for dinner and cleanup was easy. Today I have no grand plans! I would like to go to the Farmers Market at the Episcopal church parking lot in town.

The quilts below are two of my favorite smaller quilts that I grab when I need extra cover in bed or when running out the door to an outdoor event in the evening. The one on the left is a simple jumping jack very similar to a Fence Rail but with shorter pieces. It is simply two strips sewn together and cut into squares. It is then layed out like a Fence Rail, alternating vertical and horizontal blocks. We use this quilt in the tv room a lot in the Fall.

On the right is a Flutterbye quilt, also very simple. Jenny did a tutorial on this one and it couldn't be easier to make. I used the Small Talk fabric line and the prints are sewing notions. I used a light binding on this quilt for a little different look and I like it. I normally use border fabric for my binding. The colors for our local high school are black and orange. I have been asked to donate this quilt for raffles a few times. I guess I need to make one for the cheerleaders to raffle off. Flutterbye looks gorgeous made with batiks. If I ever remake it I will use batiks. Thank you for looking and reading my ramblings...

Have a beautiful day friends....hugs.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bubby; August 1, 2020, 07:39 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• geegeequilts
      geegeequilts commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the quilts & just ramble on. Gina

• JulieC
      JulieC commented
      Editing a comment
      My high school colors were black and orange, too. I know how hard it is to use those two colors together without looking like Halloween. You did and awesome job!

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the jumping Jack's. I've been looking for a pattern for a jelly roll. Thanks!!!

Good Morning all,

Today is not quite as cool as yesterday but I'll take it. House is still open but rain is in the forecast. I don't think we really need the rain as we got 8 inches this past Sunday.

Went to my daughter's yesterday to watch her daycare while she and her hubby went to her best friend's brother's wake. She told me there were people standing outside to get in when they left and there was over an hour to go before the funeral. She only had her older daycare kids, the youngest was about 3. She was so cute. Jennifer has a drawing easel that they can use dry erase markers on. She was drawing away and suddenly came over to me and gave me a big hug and then went straight back to her "work". After they got home I left and went to a quilt shop about 20 minutes away and bought some more of the civil war fabric that went with the mystery quilt they had. I want to make my quilt a little larger. So then back to Owatonna. As I'm waiting at a stop light I see a police car. The funeral is now going to the cemetery. I didn't mind waiting, I have nothing but time. Boy I couldn't believe how many people were on motorcycles. There must have been at least 75 of them and then a bunch of cars. Told me daughter and she said there were at least 30 or 35 at the funeral when they left. Testament to this young may to have touched so many lives. After getting gas in Owatonna I got some lunch and decided to go to a couple other quilt stores about an hour away (30 minutes from my house). I purchased some very nice fabric that is part of the "Quilt Minnesota" shop hop. Not sure yet what I want to do with it. The Minnesota shop hop will be going for several more week and I may get to some more of the stores.

Not sure what is in store for today. If the house gets closed up we will have the air on so I may do a little baking, cookies and maybe some pumpernickel bread (Dave's favorite). I am off for a morning cup of coffee and some breakfast. Have a great day.
    Carlie

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      Good for you getting some of the MN fabric. It's so cute this year.

Good morning!

Cloudy and windy here already this morning. It's just a wait and see what the storm does now. The phones and ipads are charged to use later. I will try to finish a table topper today and cut some more masks for DD. She asked me for lessons on using a sewing machine. I have a Janome to give her plus she can always use my other machines here as needed.

Hope your day is wonderful!

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      We had 4 boys. Both my 2 took Home Ec. in HS. DS#1 made a great western style shirt. He finished with his project early, so he made a lap size quilt from fabric I had in my stash. It was tied, not quilted.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 5 kids 4 are grown now two girls, three boys. Finally my youngest, shes 17 sews! Yay! I started her off with everything. Her shopping in my fabric lol didn't even make a dent. Glad you get to share as well, it's fun!!

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      My daughter has never shown any interest in sewing either. But then again, I didn't really either until I was in my 60's. My mom and grandmother were expert seamstresses.

Good morning. Rain must be the word of the day. The thunder actually woke me up about 2 this morning. Usually I sleep right through that. Yesterday I helped a friend go through her storage unit. I feel much better about my stash. Also feel sorry for her situation. I came home with a tub of fabric to donate to the quilt group at church for her. It's all organized and ready to deliver once they start meeting again.

I thought about starting Bonnie Hunter's leaders and enders project for this year, but honestly after trying a test block I see that this would be an issue for me because my cutting skills are so bad. Maybe I do need to try it and see if I can improve my cutting. I honestly don't know how I can mess that up. Oh well, we'll see what today brings besides rain.

Comment

• Claire Hallman
      Claire Hallman commented
      Editing a comment
      It is just a group of scraps cut to make a block that you use between chain piecing on your current project. Her "block" choice usually runs for a year and after time you have plenty of blocks to make a second quilt. I usually make 4 patches from left over 2 1/2" strips as leader/enders and now am adding a 4 1/2" strip to each side with another 2 1/2" square in each corner. I keep a basket of 2 1/2" squares by machine all the time.

• KarenC
      KarenC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Claire for explaining the leaders and enders for me.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Leaders & enders has to do with the way one sews the pieces together to minimize using thread in between. One always keeps something under the needle & another ready to sew. There will be only maybe 1/2" of thread in between. It's an efficient way to piece. I sort of used that technique when I made the Carolina Chain quilt. One of her Quilt Cam videos a few years back showed her demonstrating this technique. That pattern is copyrighted, but I figured it out from watching her. She used 2" strips, but I used up a lot of 2.5" strips which I had on hand. My block was 6.5" unfinished. There should be pics in my albums of that quilt.

Raining here this morning too and so happy to see it! It's a nice, steady, gentle rain which will be so beneficial to the lawns and gardens. I think I heard that thunderstorms are in the forecast later in the day. We may head to Amish country in a little while when DH gets up and around. I'd like to pick up some fresh veggies. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. For now I'm enjoying my coffee and the rain. Hope you all have a blessed day!

Comment

Good Morning my quilting family. Yesterday was a bitter/sweet day, my honeys son came and picked up the personal items he needed/wanted to deal with his fathers affairs. Thank goodness he was given power of attorney. With my father's passing with no will, I have my hands full of estate probate, lawyers in two states and all that goes with it. Anyway the son didn' t want any of his wardrobe items, so I picked what I wanted to keep (future memory projects/recycle/etc) and will find a home for the other items. Be taking them over to my dad's house today and add them to his donation pile.

Had a thought the other day...now that I have time to actually do spring cleaning, spring is gone! Oh darn the bad luck! My cousin said, don't worry it will come around again, just wait for it! So I am!

Time for second cup of coffee and then off to my dads place to clean out fridge he kept in his garage, I found a home for it...

Hugs to All !!!!!

Comment

• JCY
        JCY commented
        Editing a comment
        Since you missed spring cleaning, it can be fall cleaning.

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        I read a book written by a professional house cleaner and he said to do fall cleaning instead of spring cleaning and your house will stay cleaner. It makes sense to clean after months of the windows being open plus the house will look good for the holidays. I switched over to fall cleaning and it feels sort of like nesting before the cold weather sets in. Come spring, I can spend that time getting my garden spruced up.

Good Morning All,

I woke up to a sick dog. Nothing like cleaning up dog throw up before you have your eyes open and coffee. She doesn't seem sick I think she found something on the floor and just ate it. Labs eat everything!

I talked to Amanda on her way to Star Bucks this morning. They have her and her assistance working in another brand, her store is still closed and she said she would be back there all next week for inventory and they were installing new registers. I am not happy that they may open back to the public. I would be if it meant things were better here but that is not the case.

I have been lazy all week long and this is becoming a habit for me . I have things that need to be done but I just put it off until tomorrow. I feel a lot better when I get up and actually accomplish something. I start things and don't go back and finish them.

Teresa

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        My two dachshunds also eat anything and I will find little "throw ups" in corners. A lot of times it is green so I'm thinking they are picking up leaves that have dropped from my plants. I'm being very watchful on that because I have several plants that I think may be toxic, they are up higher so they cannot get to them.

Good afternoon!

I was surprised to see rain in the forecast today, I thought it was supposed to be clear. Looks like I will have to wait a few days for that. The temps have cooled off, which is a good thing.

We had wonderful weather for my friend's farewell party at work yesterday. There were ten of us social distancing (some more than others). It's shame that after 34+ years we couldn't have a bigger party for her. She will be sorely missed. She is excited to start the next phase of her life, her husband is about 15 years older than her and already retired.

I made a smaller 3D face mask this morning. The original dimensions were 7.5" x 10.5", but that was too big on me. I tried 7" x 9.5", and that worked better, but now it's a little snug. Maybe I should have used 7" pieces of elastic on either side instead of 6.5". I have enough elastic for one more mask. I should buy some now that it is back in stock.

I don't have any plans for today, I will see where the day takes me. Right now, it is taking towards the kitchen and some lunch. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Woke up to a fabulous morning. DH wanted to go to Walmart and see if his prescription could be generic. He refused to get it because it was $410. I told him he should get it. He came home Wednesday and said he would do without. So this morning we went and sure enough it has a generic counterpart for $107. Now he has to wait till monday when the doctor is back in to rewrite the scrip. He has narrow angle glaucoma and they said they can fix it with laser surgery but we can't get an appointment for a month still. The internet says that without treatment blindness was possible. I surely don't want that to happen.
        So when we got back from Walmart, we got the rowboat ready and took it fishing. By then, the temperatures had risen to almost 90 and my was it humid. DH caught a nice puppy drum and I caught a big blue crab. The nibbles caught a lot of shrimp bait. lol. Then DH was rowing us back in and the bolt came loose from the oar holder and so we only had one oar. Thankfully, the wind was going our way and we pretty much floated back home. DH fixed it when we got back
        The hot water is still not on. The guy said he'd come Tuesday after the hurricane. So I took a cold shower and felt like a nap but resisted.
        Then about 2pm a huge thunderstorm came thru and is still raining on us. Lots of lightening and rumbling. The one we had two nights ago spiral cut a 40 ft swath down one of the trees. DH says this is just a preview of the hurricane that is coming.
        It should be here early Tuesday Morning and there is still question as to where it will exactly go. If you are interested , we are in Bayboro, NC between New Bern and Oriental on the east coast.
        Made BLT's and corn on the cob for supper early and I truly enjoyed eating early. DH complained he wasn't hungry (of course not, he was busy having another beer) but after he ate he said, "that hit the spot" Last night he insisted he wasn't hungry until 9pm. I hate eating that late.
        One of the second home people on the road here called and offered us a safe place to haul our boat to. He owns some storage units in town that he inherited from her father. That was very nice for him to call and offer. We think we are good...but then, we've never lived thru a hurricane. We will keep watching the weather.
        One of the other neighbors has just arrived back on the road. DH has gone to help him put his canoe in safe harbor. Nice to have caring neighbors.
        Walk with God ... reach out...take his hand...life is good.
        Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
        Terry

Comment

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          Terry ~ Hoping for the best for all concerned as the hurricane comes your way. Stay safe. I hope you are stocked up with food & water. Do you have a way to cook if you lose power?
          Not sure I could have braved a cold shower. I think I would have heated some water on the stove & taken a warm sponge bath. Keep us posted.

• grammaterry
          grammaterry commented
          Editing a comment
          gas stove, plenty of food & water. Looks like it is moving west so I think the threat is minimal.

Good Evening all.

Merciful heavens, what a day. Jim went with the associate pastor to move some furniture first thing this morning. Morgan brought the kids over before she went to work at 11. She'd just gotten here when Jim called, he was on his way home and going to take a shower before he would picked up the kids. After his shower, he called again, he was going to drop the laundry at the wash and fold and then come get the kids. Then he called back, the line at the wash and fold was so long it would be tomorrow before he could get the laundry back. So he brought it to the house. Then he was showing me the pictures of the house, and the realtor called. The house is on the market. It seemed like he hung up from that call and had another call, someone wanting to see the house. Then another call, and another. Jim went to the house and picked up Pepper and her kennel and came back. I called Cracker Barrel and ordered lunch to be delivered and started on the laundry. They had 4 loads, it's all done and folded. Four families looked at the house this afternoon. Pepper is happily going home with Jim. Grands are having a sleep over at Morgan's parents and I'm pooped! It's been a day.

Their first open house is tomorrow. Hopefully the weather won't be bad! One more viewing is at 9 tomorrow morning. It will be another day they'll have to stay out of the house!

So much for doing any work in my sewing room today. I think Gabby will be happy to go to bed early tonight!
        Katrina
        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

There has been lots of rain this week, from Knoxville north. We didn't get a drop till last night, then had a terrible storm with all the sound effects! Lightning and thunder and 50 MPH winds. It was so welcome, as we were getting pretty dry. Beautiful today, but back to the heat and humidity. Same song, 40th verse! Maybe I can get some sewing done tomorrow. DS and DDIL came by today for a visit. We decided we had quarantined long enough, and gave big hugs all around. I feel better already!

Comment

Working...
          X