Interesting times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting times

You know how they always say not to wish for "interesting times"? Well, I didn't but someone else must have wished for me. So far this month.....we left Kansas and it's heat. No problems until we got to Colorado. Spent my birthday in Alamosa at the Great Sand Dunes with my honey and my youngest daughter. Walking to dinner I face planted in the middle of the intersection and split my head open and broke my glasses. Head healed and bought new glasses. We went to an artisian hot spring. We chose the pool inside the greenhouse. It was adult only so no screaming kids. Beautiful place with a bar and snack food. Reservations required so there were only about 15 people there.

The next day we started up Wolf Creek Pass and got to the top before we blew the engine. No cell phone service on our carrier and no one would stop to help so my 74 yr old husband walked in the rain halfway down the mountain before he got a ride to Pagosa Springs. Finally got a tow truck big enough to bring the truck and trailer in. Nicest people ever!!!! Let us camp in the lot while they diagnosed the truck. Since we had already been talking about buying a bigger truck and the repairs on the half ton were over $8,000 we found a different truck with all the bells and whistles he wanted ($34,000). That took four days to get arranged.

Then we headed up Lizard Head Pass on our way to Grand Junction where my brother and sister live. When we got to the campground my husband discovered we had lost two of the totes off the basket in back of the trailer. Of course they had all the sewer and fresh water supplies. Since we boondock a lot that included the emaciator pump for the sewage and the water bladder for fresh water. $500 later those are replaced.

Today we found a used topper ($300) and tomorrow we should get the seat covers and bed liner shelf and stuff that we ordered. Another $1500. All of this is okay because we have the money so no worries.

The back story though is that before we left Kansas I had told him the truck wasn't big enough for Colorado mountains and had found four to go look at. We could have used the half ton for a trade-in but he didn't have the time to go look. So we only got $2000 for it instead of $15,000 like it was worth. And I had suggested that he put another strap on the totes going the other way but was ignored. Did I say "I told you so"? Would I be that petty? YOU BET I DID and had fun doing it. Luckily we can laugh and chalk it all up to another adventure.
    sigpic

ha, ha. Men never strap down things enough. or turn drawers in bedroom furniture being moved toward the front of the truck. ask me how i know....
    sounds like you had an interesting trip. big time $$$ hope your little nose didn't get smashed in your fall.

Comment

Oh my, I wouldn't have dared said I told you so. I just keep that happy little thought all bottled up inside. Seems DH's mouth lets thoughts out before his brain listens to the sounds around him. I would have been devastated by the monetary loss though ...I'm a real worry wort about money. I figure it has to last 30 years and he figures 10.
      Sounds like adventure is in your plans though
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Made me smile today!

Comment

Oh dear!

You have certainly had a time of it. Yes, sometimes the men in our life can't get out of their own way.Too funny about "I told you so" as d-g-son just said that to his mother last week. He's 3 and I scolded him quick.

After all that, its' a perfect time for you to get a new machine!

Comment

Mine's a complete Alpha male, I don't comment. It's very irritating to do things on Daniel time and his way. Ever since I've lived with him I live with clutter. I hate clutter, I grew up in a house with clutter. Can't help who you love! Sounds like a grand adventure glad you had the funds!!

Comment

This will be one trip of memories you'll laugh over in a couple of years.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

What an "adventure"! I'm from Colorado originally and I can tell you that it's not always adventurous in quite that way! 😊 I'm glad you weren't seriously injured, and I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful. At least you got to say "I told you so" - gotta be at least a little satisfaction in that!

Comment

I hope you keep a travel journal and wrote it all down! We traveled in an RV for 30 years. Now we drag out the journals and laugh at the crazy things we did. And sometimes shed a tear for the friends we traveled with and have lost.

Comment

Wow! What a lot of bad to cramp in such a short time!
                    you have a good attitude.
                    Hope your face heals quickly.

Comment

I laughed all though your post, sorry but I couldn't help myself! Boy you have been through alot. I would have needed to make a stop at one of those "medicinal herb" stores after all of that. Or a liquor store or something! Belated Happy Birthday! As if there wasn't enough drama with the way 2020 has been going.

Comment

It made my day, thank you

Comment

Working...
                        X