Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sewing/Quilting after recovering from surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sewing/Quilting after recovering from surgery?

I had a bad fall a few months ago and broke several bones. I have plates/screws in my ankle and wrist, and shattered the top of my humerus, which required a Total Reverse Shoulder Replacement to fix. Even though the doctor says I will only get back 75% of my shoulder motion, I am still hopeful that I will be able to return to sewing/quilting. I'm still in PT 2x a week and do home exercises on my non-PT days.

Anyone out there that has successfully returned to sewing/quilting upon recovery? I sure hope so, I need something positive to look forward to!

Hi. I've never have had so many broken bones at once and such terrible injuries! I am so sorry! It is amazing what can be done these days! Just push through your P.T. and remember.... Dr's can only make educated diagnosis and often times the patient will even amaze them! Good luck!
    :icon_rolleyes:

Comment

I agree with Jean Marie, do your PT consistently.

My PT said it's good to be creative. Start small, work for a few minutes, and then rest. Use your heat to warm up, do your work, then cold when you're done.

Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

As others have said, be diligent about your pt. while not as bad as you, I remember when my mum broke her wrist. After the appropriate time, she went back to get her cast removed and they asked what she had been doing. Nothing she said, just knitting. They couldn’t believe how little muscle wastage she had. Start with something small and light so you can see what range of movement you have.

Comment

If your recovery is anything like mine, it will be a test of your patience. I broke a bone in my wrist, then suffered extra complications from the casting. I was unable to use my right hand, at all! After 4.5 months of PT, COVID hit. I have been faithfully doing all my exercises and extra little projects to get all my movement back. While not yet at 100%, it is getting so much better! I can’t use a rotary cutter or scissors for hours, but I can now piece for about 3 hours a day. I will persevere. Hang in there! Be patient! Do every bit of that PT!

Comment

I’ve never had anything to your experience.....but I fell a few years ago and really tore up my shoulder. Torn....really torn rotator cuff. Surgery was extensive and it took 18 months before I felt “normal.” (Of course normal can be debated 😏) I still don’t have 100%, not sure what it is, but I can live with it. Because of crummy insurance I ended up doing my own PT, which the doc said was fantastic. I kept it up and today I’m doing anything and everything I feel like for an old lady. I still exercise those muscles as much as I can. It can be a downer when you feel like it’s taking forever. I kept asking, can I sew yet? I was happy the day the doc said yes.....can’t remember how long that was into it..... stay strong.....it will get better.
            💫 Star lover

Comment

I am so sorry for the extent of your injuries. You've gotten good advise here. I have never broken anything, but have had extensive repair of both rotator cuffs, luckily not at the same time. The best thing you can do is be diligent about your PT exercises. I do remember thinking it was taking me a lot longer to recover than I thought it would. Be patient with yourself. Virtual hugs to you.

Comment

Take it slow and steady. I had a difficult time following shoulder surgery but I made it through. I believe you can do this. Good advice above.
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                  If your recovery is anything like mine, it will be a test of your patience. I broke a bone in my wrist, then suffered extra complications from the casting. I was unable to use my right hand, at all! After 4.5 months of PT, COVID hit. I have been faithfully doing all my exercises and extra little projects to get all my movement back. While not yet at 100%, it is getting so much better! I can’t use a rotary cutter or scissors for hours, but I can now piece for about 3 hours a day. I will persevere. Hang in there! Be patient! Do every bit of that PT!
                  that is encouraging! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X