It's Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Thursday

The week is almost done. Very very quiet at the post office for sure but I am not complaining.

I had a great visit with my friend yesterday. She brought me a quilt in progress. I believe her mom started it and she doesn't like it, doesn't want me to even finish it for her. It is a grandmother's flower garden. Quite pretty it is. Now to figure out how to attach pieces and what goes where. I have no clue. The only fabric included is the white. I will get a picture to show you.

As I am sitting here typing, the mouse trap goes off and scares the bejesus out of me. He is now in a bucket OUTSIDE and I will get rid of it later. Load of laundry is done BUT I washed a bath mat that is disintegrating on the back. I will have to look for a new one. This load of towels will get hung outside when daylight comes, lol!!

I worked at the printed cross stitch yesterday. I can see this project taking me YEARS to complete, oh my. I may not make it!!

There is a family coming to the parking lot to teach the young son to ride a bike. The little girl is about 4 and so cute and darling. Yesterday was the second day that I have seen them. First she asks if my husband is looking after my children. I tell her my children are all grown. So they have children? Yes I have a granddaughter. So you are old. No I am not old. She says "You told me the other day you were old" No, you told me I was a little old. Oh! So you lied. She runs to her mother and tells her "The lady over there isn't old, she lied". Gotta love children.

Driving home each day I see a door that someone has put out for garbage. I need a door for the shed. So yesterday, armed with screwdrivers I stop and manage to get the frame away and put the door in the van. Good thing no one drove by at this point. In any case, the door is now out of the van and up against the shed. Someone's trash is another's treasure, right? LOL!!

Hubby will be proud when he returns. I emptied two bins of 'stuff' that he filled when he moved cabinets in the kitchen. It wasn't trash just things that needed to be put away or given away.

Today I will take my vacuum with me and do the post office. It needs it bad and I can't stand to look at it any longer. And I will continue with the cross stitch.

Have a good day everyone.

Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning to all!

My Monique, you have adventures. Guess that’s life. Before I ever made quilts I saw a grandmothers garden quilt in a magazine. I thought it was beautiful. I have kept that pattern all these years. Who knows, maybe some day..... and we DON’T get old, we become wise and wonderful! But, you’re right, gotta love children......they say the darnest things! And a door, love a good find!

I too washed my bath mats this week.....and the backing is starting to come off......I hate shopping for anything! But gotta do what ones gotta do. Have fun with the cross stitch. I loved counted cross stitch......never did the printed kind.

We were to have rain all day yesterday......not! We did get 3 spells of 5 minute rains.......I can hear the lawn gasping for water 💦

No owl sightings this am. I hope they’re still here. They’re kinda neat to watch.

Got the backing of the new quilt done and on the basting table. The batting is chilling out on it. Have about 1/4 of the back of the top cleaned up. Hope to finish it today, but I have other chores to do.....so we’ll see.

Hopes for all to have a most blessed and wonderful day. Prayers for many here. Love to all. 💕
    💫 Star lover

Comment

I need some hugs today...
      So DD is being transferred from a job site in Illinois to one that is in New Jersey. It happened pretty quickly and she left yesterday at 5:30 am. At 1:30 as I was in the chair getting a haircut, I got a call. She's sick and this time she's running a pretty high fever. She's congested, but otherwise feels OK. Oh crap...what to do. Hotels in the area are out...they take your temp and I guess you don't get a room if you're running a fever. Not said, but implied. So she's here with us. This is really scary. We are both very high risk. It's a very small house and there's no way to really quarantine a person. This morning she'll have a video doctor visit and I assume she'll get a Covid test. I found out yesterday that there are virtually no testing sites here, you need an appointment, or only do it certain days of the week. Oh how I hope this is a false alarm; it'll be hard to again wait for test results. If she does indeed have it, the rest of her old job site is also probably contaminated, so I don't know what will happen with that. One of her co-workers who transferred to Colorado also tested positive shortly after arriving there. Now I'm off to make her breakfast.....
      Barbara

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Barbara -- my heart goes out to you. Good advice from all, but I guess the basic is that she wears a mask at all times while in the common areas of your home, and that she limits touching or helping out in the kitchen. Wipe down surfaces, light switches, remotes. You cannot risk if she has contracted the virus. I would get her an appointment asap and one for the both of you a few days later. It is so disheartening to hear that so many Americans do not have easy access to tests and then quick results. Be safe. If she can spend time outdoors on a porch. that could limit possible spread.
        I will keep you in my thoughts for a safe outcome.

• CarlieBlilie
        CarlieBlilie commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestions from everyone else, nothing to add except to say I'll be praying for everyone.

• Monique
        Monique commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto Carlie as well, I will add my prayers.

Good morning!

We have cooler temps today -- high around 80, lower humidity, and cloudy. No 90's in sight! They're even predicting highs in the upper 70's next week. I may need to break out a sweater! Ha, ha. That's a family joke, actually. Whenever my Texas sister comes to visit, she always needs a sweater -- even though the rest of us think it's warm.

I signed up to work on site three days -- two in August and one in September. The boss reminded me we do not need to wear our masks if we're in our office, just if someone comes in. I've been looking at face shields on Amazon. The boss had one the other day and that may solve the issue of my glasses fogging up. I will need to buy some cheaters at a higher magnification. I should make a few more masks, too.

I have mentioned my work friend is retiring tomorrow. In honor of the occasion, I've been posting pictures on our daily chat of events gone by. Some of the pictures are from before we had a digital camera. They are prints from 20 years ago that were scanned in. I even found pictures of a co-worker, long retired, who passed away last month. She was around Mom's age -- upper 80's, I think. She was a sweet lady. I've had fun taking trips down memory lane.

Time to take the trash out and get the bunny her breakfast. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Morning all,

It has been very hot here but yesterday was a relief from the humidity. The garden has been bearing the " fruits of our labor" or I should say my husband's. He has picked over 125 cherry tomatoes in the last two days, and brought in a bucket of large tomatoes. We 've been sharing them with the neighbors and friends and if they keep on producing like this I'm sure the neighbors will get tired of seeing them. Yesterday I took advantage of the better weather to work in the kitchen. We had a large amount of cucumbers so I made bread and butter pickles and canned them we will enjoy them throughout the year. I also made a big bowl of potato salad to have during the week. Haven't been this productive since the hot temps pushed in!

Sadly no sewing going on here. The last thing I did was to make some masks with the Creative Grids template which I really liked using. Masks are consistant in size. I find for the medium size it says 6 1/2" inches for the elastic but I find that could be cut a little less to fit a little more snug.

Don't know what the day holds in store but I do know I won't be cooking in the kitchen. My only trip in there will be for coffee and I hear it calling my name so off I go.

Wishing everyone a good day, be safe, stay well.
        Last edited by Cathy F; July 30, 2020, 05:47 AM.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          I love bread and butter pickles. Mom and I made pickles one year. She decided they were more work than the cost of the jars of pickles at the grocery store.

• Nwmnteacher
          Nwmnteacher commented
          Editing a comment
          Cathy, I shorten the elastic with the Creative Grids template as well. I use 5 1/2 for the medium size.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
          Editing a comment
          I am out of homemade bread & butter pickles. So this year it will happen. Unfortunately our garden produces sporadic lots of cucumbers, never enough for full batch, so I usually buy a half bushel or full at local market. Its also the year to make pickled beets. No need for Sweet Garlic Dill, as I made quite a large batch and it keeps for 2-3 years.

Good Morning Everyone. I’m up early today.

Yesterday while moving things around in the freezer a chicken fell out and landed on my foot. I think the big toe on my left foot is broken. I know there is nothing that can be done for a toe, just time. So, I’m hobbling around but so far today the pain is no worse than yesterday.

We had rain around us all day yesterday and all night and we didn’t even get enough to wet the sidewalk. We went to bed last night prepared for lots of rain and possible storms. Our weather people are almost always wrong. That may be because we are in the outer fringe of their viewing area and they concentrate on more populous areas. We were supposed to get 4-8 inches of rain this week.

Monique, I remember the forum member who was teaching in another country. I can’t remember her name. Something makes me think they moved back to the US.

The quilts below are made from a design by Lella Boutique called Open Heart. The pink one was made in remembrance of our Scottie Olive, who was Dottie’s companion for most of her life. The fabric line is Olive’s Flower Market (how appropriate). The purple quilt was made for my grandson’s wedding last August. The fabric line is Aubergine. There is a fair amount of piecing in the blocks but they are not difficult. Thank you for looking.

Wishing everyone a good day. Let’s remember to keep Barbara in our thoughts and prayers. Her post is above.

Hugs....

Attached Files
        Last edited by Bubby; July 30, 2020, 05:44 AM.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Monique
          Monique commented
          Editing a comment
          Strap the toe to the one next to it, might help with walking.

IMG_20200727_200737.jpgHere is a picture of one of the dinner guests that showed up the other night. He is sampling the leaves on the plum tree. Beautiful creature but he has been here once before and ate all the early blooms off all my Hostas which did not make me happy. Seeing deer in your yard is a rare sight in my neighborhood but I have a wooded piece of property they sometimes take refuge in. Don't know why the picture posted down here as I added it to my post above.
        Last edited by Cathy F; July 30, 2020, 05:58 AM.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• JulieC
          JulieC commented
          Editing a comment
          We have a lot of deer in our neighborhood. They like to chomp on my sister's Hostas, but have left them alone this year.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          My son live in a small community in MD. There are woods behind their place. The deer come through their yard frequently. Yup. They list Hosta. They ate all theirs. They even eat roses. It's been a real challenge to have flowers of any kind in their yard.

• Nwmnteacher
          Nwmnteacher commented
          Editing a comment
          I use Liquid Fence to keep the deer away from my flowers and hostas. It smells bad, so you don't want to get it on yourself when you spray it, but it really works on the deer and rabbits too.

We have a lot of deer here. Right now the moms are out and about with their babies. Twin fawns are quite common and they are so cute to watch. They are indiscriminate about what they eat in your yard and garden. Hostas must be a delicacy for them because they eat ours every year without fail. There are sprays in garden shops that are supposed to deter deer, though we have never tried them. We have so many deer here there’s not enough spray to send them away.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ We had a hot day yest.; it got up to 98 deg. It was great for airing the pillows on the line & drying the laundry. I kept the W & D busy with laundering all that bedding. I ended up with 6 loads. I hung out only a quilt & a comforter/spread which had been mostly dried in the dryer first. Glad that job is done.

Monique ~ We caught a mouse in the garage a few days ago. I hope we don't have as many around this winter as we did last winter. I've never seen so many mice.

Today will be errands & groc. store. I also need to pick up the SAS shoes that I ordered. They don't stock them in the shoe store any more. I like the Siesta style, bone color. I've been wearing SAS daily for >30 yrs. I get a 20% off coupon every year in July for my birthday. I used to buy the white one when I still was working as a nurse.

DH is waiting for breakfast, so gotta run.

Comment

Good Morning All,

Yesterday was a hurry up and wait kind of day. After our venture out to Publix and the Post Office, we went to our noon appointment to get the Malibu windows tinted. Mike paid for that job, and I paid for dinner. We stopped at Monroe's Smokehouse, they have the moistest chopped pork BBQ, it practically melts in your mouth. Mike got the smoked turkey. He gave me a bite. Now I don't know what I'll order when we go, it was so good!

After that, we stopped at Jim's to pick up the butcher block of knives. He would like to swap knives with us... maybe. I don't care. My butcher block is smaller and would work better in a camper. I bought Jim's set before they got married. They're a good set of knives, I don't mind swapping for them.

I didn't make it to the sewing room yesterday at all. Mike's at work, so today might just be the day! lol

Katrina
          “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday was kind of a blah day for me....didn't really accomplish much.The weather was very pleasant, but I didn't even go outside except to take the dogs out.
            Today is going to be another pleasant day.....any day without the wind is a pleasant day here! I need to get some things accomplished today. My friend from work and I are leaving bright and early for our Quilt Minnesota road trip. There are only 4 shops in our region, but there are several others on the way that are not participating in the shop hop. We will probably check them out too. It's going to be tough to control the budget and the drooling with visiting so many shops!

I'll be picking green beans today. I like to wait until the sun is on the garden so the mosquitoes aren't so bad. With what I picked the other day, I should have enough to can a few pints. Just to try them out, I planted a row of purple green beans as well as the green and yellow ones. They are later to produce....just teeny tiny ones on the plants.....tons of blossoms though.

I did a little practicing of FMQ on my domestic Janome, but things just weren't working well. Guess I'll check out the "big girl" (Janome Artistic 18 sd), and see if I have better luck. Her name is Marge, after my mom.

Barb, I'm sorry you have to deal with your DD's illness right now. I sure hope and pray that it's not CoVid. I hope she's wearing a mask all the time while at your home. Let us know the prognosis.

On with my day. Jeanne

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking of doing some of the shops close to here for the Quilt Minnesota. Probably won't, although tomorrow is fat quarter Friday at Calico Hutch in Hayward. I am going over to my daughters to take over the daycare while she goes to a wake for her best friend's brother. He was in a head-on collision while working. The other driver said he was slumped over his steering wheel. Very sad, he was diabetic and did not take care of himself no matter how much help he received from family and friends. I may just take in another quilt shop or two while I'm in the area. I also have a problem with budget control and drooling. Happy shopping!

• Nwmnteacher
              Nwmnteacher commented
              Editing a comment
              Carlie, I've been to the Calico Hutch some years ago when I went on a bus trip to M* We stopped at several quilt shops on the way there and back. I bought my first Civil War quilt kit there.....quite an expensive "slip of the budget"!

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              Got an email earlier today saying they cancelled their fat quarter Friday due to to Quilt Minnesota Hop. Might still stop there. I did a mystery quilt this month from them and it was civil war. Is like to get some more of the reds and blues they used in the quilt.

Good morning,

Looks like it is a busy day here for everyone.The tree trimming is done just in time for a possible TS this weekend. You can hear saws and drills going in our neighborhood. I ordered battery fans this morning for delivery tomorrow just in case we lose power. We just have a few front shutters to close. Maybe it will track out into the ocean.

I just need to finish borders on the table topper and quilt. The pattern had strange cut sizes. I used the 12 inch qube and cut the shapes with AQ dies and it worked. It's so nice that once your learn the system you can cut any pattern. For example, pattern called for squares cut @ 3.25 inches so I used the 3.50 inch square die. Easy to transfer shapes across the pattern.

Hope your day is filled with sunshine!

Comment

Good morning everyone,

It looks like another hot day, with promises of t-storms and lots of rain. We shall see. Yesterday, we got some rain but it dries up quickly. Last night's t-storm cooled temps down for awhile. It is supposed to be a quiet week but that never seems to happen.

Monday I visited mom, as it was my last day for valid negative Covid test. We had a good visit, and I cleared up her night table and brought her some packaged cookies and snacks. When I got home, I quilted another VQC top and I am learning a lot, and getting my confidence. I can honestly say, I didn't screw up. I even used half bobbins on purpose, so it would run out and practice realigning design.

Tuesday, my GF & I drove to a test site out of town (25 min). Its a drive-thru. Last time I went, it took 20 mins. This time, we waited 3 hrs. You couldn't leave the parking lot, or you lost your spot. They are now limiting to 200 tests per day. I will have to find a faster test site, if I want to continue to see mom. I got my negative result this morning on-line, but results were probably there last night.

While I was getting Covid test, DH texted to say the hospital called me back for a re-test of mammogram, left side. Yesterday morning, I was set for a 3rd imaging and scan, but they only needed 2. The images only showed lump in one view, so a technician and Oncologist reviewed it, and determined that it is probably a cyst, which I suspected. They compared my 2015 & 2018 results, and it seems it was there, but hasn't changed. I will be scheduled for another mamo next year, rather than every 2 years. I keep saying I make quilts for cancer patients, but I don't want one for myself. I am not worried but DH is very concerned.

I met my friend Dorothy for ice tea on patio, and I gave her the 3 finished VQC quilts. I picked a daisy design for one, butterflies for 2nd and aspen leaves for 3rd. She agrees, these were perfect. She brought me 2 more tops, batting and backing. I also dropped off a lasagna at my DD. They came back from the cottage, and shared some great pictures of special times and moments. There are new neighbours that moved next door at cottage, and they have 3 kids same age as theirs. So this will be a bonus when they go.

Today I want to load one of my quilts, this will be the first. Its a queen size top I made this winter, I got the backing from M* on Monday, washed it. I will press and load today and probably quilt on Friday. Hopefully it will be a quiet weekend, as its a long weekend in Ontario.

Long message -- I really hope everyone is staying safe from all these weather storms and the Covid virus. Stay safe friends.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I am sorry to read about your daughter being sick. Please take precautions to keep yourself safe. Our neighbor's grand son had it and was only sick for 3 days, no one else in the family got it so hope that is what happens at your house.
                The potty is fixed at no charge, yea! I have newly repaired toenails [hate that ingrown one] and a couple of new books from the thrift store. I got gas and then got us blizzards from DQ on the way home. A very nice day.
                I hope for a fabric delivery today for a new 60% quilt I am cutting out. So far I have not finished sewing the strips together, maybe today after fmq for a while. DH said he will oil up the featherweight for me, what a sweetie.
                The housekeeper is at work right now so I am on the porch with the dog, when she finishes it is off to the sewing room for us.

Comment

Good Morning to all. Just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU all so much for your prayers, love and support. I have had good moments and some not so good moments. Tomorrow his son is coming to get his fathers files and such, he has power of attorney and has to deal with all that kind of stuff. His niece text me the other day and asked how I was doing... my response "oh look a squirrel". Kinda all over the place and that is okay.... I just keep telling myself what ya'll told me, that is to "be kind to myself"..

Comment

• KPH
                    KPH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lifting prayers for you and yours during this time. I hope you feel our support and our virtual hugs.

• CarlieBlilie
                    CarlieBlilie commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
                Working...
                X