Transplant time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transplant time

I've hesitated to post this just in case something happened to postpone things. I mentioned here some time ago that my husband was on the transplant list at Cleveland Clinic for a new liver. He has been on the list a little over two years, and his health has been good enough that he was low on the list - kind of a mixed blessing, I guess. About 3-4 weeks ago, he got a phone call from the Clinic telling him they needed him to go get blood work. Not unusual. A few days later, they told him that a living donor had come forward and was a perfect match for DH. After waiting for so long, we walked around in shock for a couple of days before either of us started processing the situation. We had no idea who the donor was. DH has made several trips to the Clinic for additional testing - quite extensive testing. Last week they mapped the veins in his heart and liver! So...the transplant is scheduled for next Monday, August 3. With the COVID-19 restrictions, I can't be with him at any time while he is in the hospital. 😭 Essentially I have to drop him off on Sunday about noon so they can finish all their pre-surgery preparations and testing. I was told that I will receive phone calls from the OR through the day on Monday to keep me updated on the progress. I asked if I needed to stay in Cleveland near the hospital and was told that it wasn't necessary (and honestly I was worried about staying in a hotel under the circumstances). We live about an hour away so I will take him on Sunday and then come back home.

We have learned that the donor is the son of a friend my husband met when he was officiating weddings. She was tested to be a donor but was not a match, so her son offered to be tested and we're told it's a perfect match. DH has talked to him and exchanged emails with him. He's a young man in his early 40's and lives in the Cleveland area.

I would appreciate any and all prayers and good thoughts for a successful outcome from the surgery, both for DH and for his donor (Jason). DH is quite emotional about this (very out of character for him), and I'm trying to stay calm because I can't be with him. I plan to work most of the time he is in the hospital (I think I will need the routine!) and probably from home once he is released. Right now my company is "restructuring" and lots of jobs are being eliminated, so I'm hoping to keep mine.

Thank you all!

My brother in law had a liver transplant and did really well and had a fairly quick recovery time. He is since deceased (not related to the transplant) but that liver served him well for over 20 years and he never had any issues with rejection or anything else. Hoping your hubby has an easy time with it.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for the encouragement! 20+ years is great.

Wow, just wow! I know it is a major surgery, but as far as transplants go, I think the liver is fairly simple compared to the other. I find it interesting they regenerate to fit the size of the body it's in.

How long will he stay at the hospital? I think our neighbor was in about two weeks with a kidney transplant.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      A minimum of 10 days. His hospitalizations usually run longer than expected because he has some medications for other issues that need to be regulated before he can come home. I'm thinking probably a couple of weeks.

Wow! That is a lot to process. I'm sure it's difficult to not be able to see DH while he is in the hospital. Thank goodness for Skype and Face Time and all the other ways of video conferencing. I think you are very wise to recognize that you need the structure of continuing to work while he is hospitalized. I will certainly be holding your family and Jason in my heart as you go through this scary and exciting experience.

Comment

My Heart goes out to you both, with prayers and lots of empathy for what you both are about to undergo! Cokie, God will give you strength, and comfort ,please know you're in my thoughts, God's blessings to both of you! Stay safe, and positive.
      Kathryn
      Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

Adding prayers for you all. Keep us posted when it is possible to do so.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Cokie, I’ll keep your husband, you and Jason (including the medical staff too!) all in my prayers. The Cleveland Clinic is a great place. I’ve had family members go there.....all with great results. We’ll be here when you need us. Love and hugs.
          💫 Star lover

Comment

Keeping you all in my prayers.
            One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Prayers are coming. I am especially thoughtful for the donor who is so generous and aren't you two lucky that this young man has the heart to give.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

• Cokie
                Cokie commented
                Editing a comment
                It is overwhelming that someone would do this for us! But we also struggled with the idea that someone might have to lose his life to provide a liver too. It's a sacrifice either way and we're so thankful!

What a wonderful gift your husband is about to receive. Prayers being sent.

Comment

How wonderful to get the transplant and yet scary. Prayers coming your way and to the young man willing to donate. Surgeons, too.
                Carlie

Comment

Lifting prayers for all involved. Keep us informed as possible.
                  Katrina
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Prayers for all involved. Amazing how God works, using people for his purpose.

Comment

You have my prayers and support. How exciting that this good news has come to you so unexpectedly! We never know how much of an impact we have on another's life until (like your DH) we see it come to you years later.
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Sending prayers for your DH and his donor. May the surgery and recovery go well. Special thoughts for you too.

Comment

Working...
                        X