Think Twice Before You Wipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think Twice Before You Wipe

I just scrolled through an article that came across my MSN home page about things you should never wipe down with disinfectant wipes.
    1. Leather purses or upholstery
    2. Granite counter tops - it can break down the sealant. Instead use soap & hot water or a slight spritz of isopropyl alcohol.
    3. Eyeglasses
    4. Pearl jewelry
    5. Never flush wipes down the toilet.
    6. Spots on delicate clothing
    7. Vehicle touch screens
    8. Produce
    9. Fabric upholstery or carpet
    10. Unfinished wood furniture or floors
    11. Dishes or food storage containers
    12. Your smart phone
    I bought 1 container of disinfectant wipes. I think I've used only 2 out of it. I prefer to wash down things with soap & water. Of course, one can't use it for lettuce, etc., but I wash all my apples & bananas, & I wipe down the outside of packages. Lots of hand washing, too. As a retired nurse, I'm used to the freq. hand washing.

I see there were more warnings on the news about the hand sanitizers. Be sure to read the labels in order to use one that's safe for the skin.

I never used those antibacterial cleaners and wipes, just soap and water. I told my daughter years ago I didn’t think they were a good idea because people need to build up resistance to germs. She finally agreed with me and her family has not had as many illnesses. She does use them in her daycare but she has also set strict rules regarding sick kids and that has helped too. Lots if hand washing on my end also.
    Carlie

Comment

I just commented to my son about the new commercials on t.v. on sanitizers for your home. spray this, kill that. too much, again. just like Doctors over prescribing antibiotics for everything. Careful everyone, don't over do it!

Comment

I worked for Army daycare for years ..nothing replaced hand washing. I don't buy wipes. We just wash wash. We use sanitizer when out in between places/stores but wash as soon as we get home

Comment

Well I DO use wipes -- for cleaning the toilets and wiping the fridge handles off and just to be clear I use clean ones for each job. I sure don't want anyone thinking I wipe my toilets and fridge off with the same one!!!!! Thanks Joy for telling me not to use them on granite. I might have done that a couple times not realizing it was a no no but I usually wipe them down with dishwater. The other day I read somewhere about someone wiping their mail off and not opening for 24 hrs. I had heard of precautions for pkgs but who does that for mail? I don't and I think that it is ok for me to draw the line there. It is so hard to keep up.

Comment

• MSN
            MSN commented
            Editing a comment
            When I got granite countertops, I specifically asked about using sani-wipes and was told they were OK. I usually use soap and water and only use sani-wipes if I've been working with raw chicken. The scientists are now saying that more and more, it looks as though the route of transmission of this coronavirus is from person to person via the respiratory route, and that fomites (surfaces) are not the main vector. So yes, continue to wash your hands, but you don't have to wipe down the mail.

• Monique
            Monique commented
            Editing a comment
            I use mine for the toilet as well and other places in the bathroom. Working for the post office, I handle lots of packages and therefore there is lots of hand washing being done.
        Working...
        X