Mom update - new hairdo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom update - new hairdo

Well its been awhile since I found some time to post. Mom's place was able to lift its total lockdown restrictions on July 1st. So I went for Covid test and have been able to book outdoor appointments with her, 30 mins at a time during weekday, wearing a mask & completing medical questionnaire. No problem
    Since July 22nd, our province has moved to Stage 3 of Phase 2, which means that if you want to visit outside, you don't have to get the test, but the other restrictions remain as well as pre-booking. If you chose to get tested, which I did, you are allowed in her room for 1 hour per day, during certain hours, masked and tested as previous.
    So this week, I went in -- so I could put order in her room, as most of her items were packed up as she was moved 3 times since March 11th, Covid & non covid wing and back to her room. There was a large box, which had all her shoes, which explains why she was wearing shoes that didnt fit her. I also had gone shopping the day before with a traced foot on paper to buy new shoes. I found everything, except I also tossed a large garbage bag of scrap and items that she didnt use. Interesting and funny -- they had packed her cactus and orchid in the box -- they were dead. Also found a container of grapes in a Tupperware that had fermented over 4+ months. Mom is legally blind, so when things are moved, she cant find things. I also tossed all her make-up as she may have put some on at the time she tested positive. Taking no chances, I bought her new makeup. combs & brushes.

The biggest news was that the hairdresser is open for business. Restrictions of course. So mom got her first haircut, color and set since the lockdown. She will get a perm once the hairdresser is caught up on haircuts. She felt so much better, add a little lipstick, not bad for someone who will be 97 in a few months. See Covid look and new hairdo -- she was going down for a nap.

Tomorrow I will go for another Covid test. I found a drive-thru site 20 minutes from here and its done in less than half hour usually. The test results are available 24-48 hrs online, and valid for 2 weeks.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

How nice you're finally getting to spend some time with your mom. Just curious - what do they charge you for the C-19 test? Does ins. pay for it?

Comment

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of the lines of cars here with people waiting to be tested have been very long, with hours of waiting. I've often wondered how accurate the results are. I've heard of false positives & false negatives. Some people have waited a week or more to get their results. These are strange times in which we live. How our world has changed in the past few months!

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm so glad you got to spend time with your mom. I know she was thrilled. My mom would stash food in her drawers/ bed, for later.

Love the 'do'.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Joy -- the drive-thru was fast, almost like drive-thru at A&W. When you enter the lot, there's an outside speaker and you provide all health info, car make, etc. (I was tempted to say I wanted sweet patato fries, but resisted). Then you are told to park facing the building and wait for call on cell. Then a 2nd person will call asking more specific info, confirming previous info. She then tells you to drive under the tent, turn off engine, leave windows down. So there is only one car in line-up. The rest wait in parking lot. The whole process for us takes under 30 mins. My cousin who lives in the area, and also needs to be tested to see her mom, told me about this center. You also don't need an appointment like other places.
      This is better than my first experience in-town, where you line up outside. It was a hot day when I went, and people had not brought water or were not wearing hats. One lady passed out and hit her head on cement. Ambulance was called. If this had been a different time, I am certain that the people standing next to her would have caught her. I hope she was ok, as she did look elderly. I have heard that they are using a bus testing station, which drives in areas where there have been known cases. Sort of like roving libraries.

So glad you are able to visit more with your Mom, and she looks lovely with her new hair cut! I am sure she feels better too. How lucky she is to have such a sweet loving daughter to take care of her too!

Comment

So glad you are able to visit with your Mom. I'm sure it does both of you alot of good to have the time together. And Mom looks wonderful, love the new haircut.

Comment

How nice your mother , she looks great, you are such a good daughter.

Comment

Your Mom certainly looks great! Hope you have a great visit with her this week. Take care.

Comment

What a sweet picture, your such a loving daughter, your actions towards your mother are so admired, not all get the love & attention you so lovingly give to her. God bless you both, she doesn't look 97!
            Kathryn
            Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

What a wonderful daughter you are to take such good care of your mom! I agree no way she looks 97. I know she loved getting her hair done and seeing you.

Comment

How great Suzanne. I hope that things continue to be good for you both.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you for your kind comments. I don't think of myself as a good daughter, but rather a daughter. Wouldn't you do that for your mom who has cared for you as a child, loved you unconditionally and guided you. Oh its been a love-hate relationship throughout the years, but we don't give up. We both have strong personalities and we say what we mean. Like it or not. Honestly. Mom has certainly mellowed in the last 25 years. Maybe I have just come to accept that the way I treat my mom is the way my daughter & son will treat me. And they do.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I am so glad you are able to see your Mom and she is doing well! I have wondered how the two of you are doing. We are still limited to porch visits here. I am not looking forward to when we are allowed back in her room, she squirrels away half eaten candy bars and who knows what else.

How wonderful your mom was able to get her hair professionally done! Mom's hair got really long during quarantine. One of the nurse's cut it, but did not do a very good job.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm happy that you are able to have porch visits. Its a step in the right direction. Mom's place went from outbreak-free to new rules for LTC homes rather quickly. Like your mom, my mom used to pick up individually wrapped food snacks. Most of these I knew are pre-Covid outbreak, so I tossed them. She had 2 unopened boxes of chocolates from Valentines in her drawers. She didn't realize they were there, as they moved her stuff 3x during outbreak.

When I first went in, sort of funny, there was another lady in the gathering area. She begged me, can I help her please? We were advised to keep our distance from other residents. So I asked her what was wrong. She said, my hair -- can you get me to the hairdresser. Clearly she didn't dementia, but just upset at her looks. The hairdresser will be busy just doing cuts, as there are 200 residents. Not sure how many are her clients, but guessing it will take a few weeks to do the first round.

I hope your mom is able to get her hair cut soon. Do they have an in-house hairdresser?

• JulieC
                      JulieC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, Mom's facility has an in-house hairdresser, who was on site one day per week. I just got back from our porch visit today and surprise! the hairdresser had cut Mom's hair. It looked really cute. I'm hoping my sister got a good picture. I had to hold my phone out so our Texas sister could participate on FaceTime.

So glad to see your mom looking so healthy; glad you can be with her once again. Wow - three moves in a few months - your mom seems to have weathered the storm well!

Comment

She looks so lovely with her new hair do. Good going. I know she feels better too. Just the thing.
                      I wondered about how they do the Covid tests. I absolutely had to see the Doctor a week ago (ended with the Physician's assistant) and in the parking lot, someone came out and stuck a thermometer into my mouth. Sterilized but still, i wasn't happy having to do that. They didn't tell me beforehand that would happen. i had to remove my mask for that.
                      HOpefully they won't put too many things of your Mother's into the trash or a box that doesn't belong there. She does look wonderful!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                        Editing a comment
                        A Covid test is done by nose or throat swab or both. Temperature does not reveal a Covid result. Remember, many / most do not get a fever. Mom didn't. The swab is checked in a lab with a re-agent (sp).

I think your Mom looks very nice. She certainly doesn’t look her age at all. I’m glad you are able to spend time with her now. It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through but it’s good for both of you to see each other. Blessings to both of you.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Wow. Your mom looks awesome. So happy she is doing well and you could spend time with her. I agree, they took care of us, now its our turn to pay back a bit.
                        Karen
                        Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

Working...
                        X