Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Sunday Morning

Good Morning All,

Yesterday, I was a total couch potato. Don't know why, but movies just seemed to hit the spot. Jim called several times while Mike was at work. My allergies were being pesty, so I didn't want to stir up the batting and fleece lint makers. I must have needed it a couch potato day since I went to bed early and woke up at 6. I still need to get ready for church, outside- no make up, just skort, tee, sandals, hat and mask. My chair is in the back of Morgan's van.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring. The kids are staying with me while Morgan gets ready for work and Jim plays for the main service. He'll bring lunch and I guess take them home. Maybe I'll pull out the next LAST Christmas Ugly. lol.

I guess, I'd better get started! Have a wonderful day!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Good Morning. It’s going to be a slow Sunday. The past week has been very busy but things can slow down some now. We need to go get some gas for the grill. Last year we hardly grilled at all but this year we grill every other day.

I would like to get some sewing done today. I need to get out the big ironing board to press long seams and I dread that.

Today I’m sharing a quilt I made 50 years ago. It was a kit I bought at the dime store and it had everything to make it except for the backing. It’s primarily applique with touches of hand and a little machine embroidery for the stems. The quilting was all done by hand. The quilting design was marked with little blue dots and was easy to follow. This was my first scalloped border/binding. I remember it took me a long time to finish because my daughter was a toddler and I was quite busy chasing her around. Thank you for looking.

Have a great day!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bubby; July 26, 2020, 06:04 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Barb, that is beautiful. I am coming to really like doing applique and have several blocks that are applique in the sampler quilt I am trying to finish. I, too, have one of those quilt kits with the little blue dots. I finished the embroidery last fall (bought the kit in 1976) and hope to have it layered and quilted this winter. Hand quilting since it has the embroidery.

• Ginny B
      Ginny B commented
      Editing a comment
      That is beautiful!

• Cokie
      Cokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Another beautiful quilt! The words "dime store" took me back in time.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Katrina ~ It's okay to be a couch potato once in a while. We need the rest & relaxation. I didn't do all that much yest. myself, but I seldom watch movies. I'd rather read a good book. My recliner is my favorite spot. I did not do any sewing yest. Maybe today. I did call a couple widow friends in the eve. to check in on them.

I've been noticing the shortening daylight hours, both morning & evening. The sun is slowly making its way south. Here we are almost at August already. I just checked the forecast; it looks like mostly 80's this week, so that will be a nice break from the 90's. We had a few sprinkles yest.

Our church is having a parking lot service today--the 3rd Sun. for this. I don't go. I'll watch the video on YT.

Comment

Your a better person than I am, I wouldn't have chosen that, my compliments to you! I've always admired applique, I would like to attempt it someday maybe in 2050?? It's very pretty OOPS! I posted in wrong place
      Last edited by ktdid; July 26, 2020, 06:16 AM.
      Kathryn
      Man, Despite His artistic pretensions, his sophistication, his many accomplishments, Owes his existence to a Six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact, That It Rains! anonymous

Comment

Good morning!

We will have a return to 90 degree temps today and tomorrow. Temps are supposed to cool down on Tuesday, I am looking forward to that.

I was also in couch potato mode yesterday. I watched a couple of old movies while I finished my patriotic heart. (Inspired by amartin24, who used this design for a pillow.) I tried something new and used my walking foot to attach the binding. It did not go well. It was hard to find the sweet spot for the 1/4" seam. The heart will hang in my front window on patriotic holidays.

Nothing special planned for today. I want to see if I can get my little sewing machine working again. I cleaned out the bobbin case the other day. I need to attach the foot pedal and see if the needle will go up and down. The cost to repair it would be almost as much (if not as much) as what I paid for it. I like that little machine. I'll be sorry to see it go if I can't fix it.

Have a wonderful day!

DSCN0695.jpg
        Last edited by JulieC; July 26, 2020, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Ginny B
          Ginny B commented
          Editing a comment
          Love it. Perfect window hanging. I think I need to put that pattern on my "to do" list.

• Bubby
          Bubby commented
          Editing a comment
          I love this, Julie!

• Cokie
          Cokie commented
          Editing a comment
          I really like this too. You did a great job!

Good Morning all,

Yesterday was very hot and humid again but overcast some of the day. I'd bet that we would have gotten higher temps if the sun would have been out more. We finally got some much needed rain but way more than we needed Our rain gauge is a little wonky as we have two monitors and they have different rainfall amounts. Either way it is way too much for one time. One says 7.52 inches and the other says 8.19 inches. Yikes! We live by the Blue Earth River and I'm thanking God that we have a dike in place right now although the river was quite low. We have been in a flash flood warning since around 80 last night but we should be okay here.

Talked with my son a short bit late yesterday. He is dealing with this quarantine much better than what I thought he would. Thanking God for that small favor. He has asked me to pick up some snacks for him when I get groceries on Monday morning. Since he does not have easy phone access I have him making his list and sending it through Messenger. I told him that it would be a quick way to get in touch with me if he needs to.

I worked on a block for the sampler quilt during the day and then started working on the dishtowels that I will be giving my daughter for Christmas while we watched some TV. I have bad knees (no cushion anymore) and should have had them up a little more the past week. I've had injections in the left knee but now my right one is getting painful enough that it is hard to walk when I first get up. I have found that if I elevate them several times a day for an hour or so that it helps. I haven't been doing that as I've been working in my sewing room. I think today I will have them up to help lessen the pain. I am unable to take NSAID products due to a medication I'm taking but I took one pill this morning. Doc says I'm okay doing that every once in a while. Hoping it takes most of the pain away. I know it won't take all of it away.

I am planning a roast chicken for supper tonight. Porcupine balls last night were a hit last night. I made enough that I will freeze half the leftovers and leave the rest in the fridge to have as a quick supper later next week. I grew up learning to cook for a family of 6 and have never really gotten out of the habit of making that much. Comes in handy to have a quick meal in the freezer.

Time for a cup of coffee and some breakfast so I'm ready for online church. Have a great day everyone.
        Carlie

Comment

• Ginny B
          Ginny B commented
          Editing a comment
          Are porcupine balls rice wrapped around ground beef? If so, we call them arancini or rice balls and you reminded me that we haven't had them in quite a while. They need to go on my meals list Thanks for giving me the idea for another dinner.

• CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          They are meatballs made from hamburger with rice in them and baked in a tomato sauce. Has been a family favorite since I was little.

I got my weeding and pruning done yesterday and today I am a little sore but happy. I managed to get it done in the morning before it got too very hot, it then rained in the afternoon cooling things considerably. We had a thunderstorm last night, a surprise but it is lovely out today as a result.
        In the afternoon I put together a small falling charms top, it will be great for Project Linus at about 55" x 65". I need to dig around and find something to back it with so I can get it fmq. It will be a good one to practice some ruler work on.
        I think all we are doing today is running some yellow bell bushes over to my sister. They have self planted, she has lots of space for them and the parent one we have is quite enough.
        Have a great week, dear friends.

Comment

Good morning all. It's going to be a really hot and humid day today as well as tomorrow with hopefully a break coming sometime on Tuesday in the form of tstorms. So, knowing we would be in the house in the a/c for the next few days, I decided to get back to painting the metal glider (that doesn't glide, lol). I am happy it is done. I got the almond color panels done a couple weeks ago and yesterday two coats of the green went on. 20200726_095517.jpg Just a small bit of paint that seeped through the tape on one panel needs to be dealt with.

While I was waiting for the first coat to dry so I could do the second one, I pulled a metal rocker over into the shade and started working on getting all the loose paint off. Turned out it had three coats of paint on it. 20200725_132437.jpg20200726_095525.jpg Turquoise then pink then that "50's green".

I was going to repaint it in the turquoise but now that I got down to it's original color of orangey rust, I am going to try and find a shade that is close to that and bring it back to its' origins. 20200725_131909.jpg

But that won't be happening today. This will be my couch potato day. I plan on reading, watching some baseball!! (so glad that's back) and maybe watch something on Netflix.

Thoughts and prayers with those in Texas and Hawaii dealing with hurricanes. Stay safe.

I hope everyone has a good day.
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• Cokie
            Cokie commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember that my grandparents had chairs like that on their patio in that green color! I loved those chairs. I'm glad baseball is back on too!

Ginny, love your paint project. Rescuing is fun but the cost of paint has really skyrocketed. Especially if you use spray paint. I bought some old distressed wicker chairs, glued the broken ends and sprayed them white. They turned out nice. But...I paid $50 for two chairs and spent $60 on spray paint and $6 on super glue. So, was it a bargain...hummmm....anyway...they look good and are comfortable. But now when I look at rescues, I am calculating other costs to see if the work is worth the effort eventhough it makes me feel productive.
          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
          Terry

Comment

• Ginny B
            Ginny B commented
            Editing a comment
            Terry, I know. It can turn out to be expensive sometimes. But I still love rescuing things if it's financially feasible. Luckily with these two pieces, I inherited them from family members so that helped keep the cost to just the paint. And I realized today that I can also use the almond color on some of our baseboard heating covers that need attention so I am getting more use out of it since there is quite a bit of it left over.

• grammaterry
            grammaterry commented
            Editing a comment
            Jenny, I wasn't trying to be negative. I thought it was a great project. You can't buy yard furniture like that anymore. I am proud of you.

• Ginny B
            Ginny B commented
            Editing a comment
            Terry, I didn't take it as negative. It is true that paint can be expensive

I love your glider and the green color. I would rather have something old over something new most of the time. Great job!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hello, friends! Hubby and I have had a very productive day. We got through over half a dozen boxes that we needed to unpack together. Now he's hanging the stained glass of Australian birds I bought when we lived there. We never hung them in the house we bought when we got back from Australia, so it's exiting that they're going up now. Aussie birds are so beautiful! It really is a tropical island, and the birds reflect that.

I have some pork chops soaking in brine in the fridge, so dinner will be extra yummy tonight!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
            X