Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upside and Downside of state shut downs. What's yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used one tank of gas since the last week of February and just a couple of weeks ago bought gas. I still manage to spend money because I found out how easy it is to order on line. I don't like the wait with slow shipping. I ordered dog food for Sandy and paid for it online. You drive up ( don't even have to get out ) and they put it in the trunk . I like that. I also ordered Sandy's allergy med from the vet and they brought it to the car. My hair has never looked so bad. Oh well , its not like anyone sees me . New clothes would be nice but again no one sees me so I'm just wearing my old stuff.
    Last edited by TMP; July 25, 2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I am becoming more and more distressed with this thing. Covid 19 stands for Corona CO Virus VI D disease 19 for 2019.
      That means they don't want us to associate it with Corona virus in our minds. Corona virus is a cold. and bad as it might be, it says on the back of the lysol can that it kills Corona virus.
      People die ...People die from colds when they are compromised, people die from flu, people just die.
      The states are screwing around with the numbers. They are double and tripple counting the test results. They are counting deaths from things that are not corona virus, they are counting hospital occupancy that isn't just the virus. I am so tired of it. In FL. they were found out for stating that they had 100% positive test results from 300 testing sites. What kind of reporting is this? We hear that children are getting it. Really...not many
      Day cares are okay but schools are not! Really.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
        I am becoming more and more distressed with this thing. Covid 19 stands for Corona CO Virus VI D disease 19 for 2019.
        That means they don't want us to associate it with Corona virus in our minds. Corona virus is a cold. and bad as it might be, it says on the back of the lysol can that it kills Corona virus.
        People die ...People die from colds when they are compromised, people die from flu, people just die.
        The states are screwing around with the numbers. They are double and tripple counting the test results. They are counting deaths from things that are not corona virus, they are counting hospital occupancy that isn't just the virus. I am so tired of it. In FL. they were found out for stating that they had 100% positive test results from 300 testing sites. What kind of reporting is this? We hear that children are getting it. Really...not many
        You can't believe anything you read or hear anymore. A counselor once told me that this type of thing is what is done in dysfunctional families. Generally called schizophrenic families. Good is bad, yes is no, right is wrong etc. If you wanted to turn someone into a schizophrenic this is what you do. It is now occurring in every part of our lives. Reply on your common sense, you probably have an 85% or higher chance of being right which is a hellofa lot higher then what you'll get reading or listening to medias. Common sense if still available and it's free. Trust your gut, it's a crazy world out there!
        https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
        Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

Upside, I have used up a lot of my stash so when this is over I can start to replenish that. We are seriously, looking into getting a new puppy-looking at a Welsh Terrier.

Downside, have not been able to see a lot of friends and family members. Also it has lowered our finances-hubby is making less money, he still goes to work each day but no overtime or shift premiums also has had hours cut, sometimes I wish he was layed off so he could rake in that extra money from the government. Also my hair is getting way too long.
          One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

Sometimes there are too many voices in the room. but one will admit this is serious and something horrible is going around the world. WE all live on one planet and all of us must take precautions to survive. The best we can. Just listen to your heart and do your best. That is the main thing we all can do. Hopefully this thing will begin to slow down and our medical authorities get a hold on it to help us all. Keep strong. we are all in this together. 😿

Comment

Things are very different here than in the US. From the get-go when this was declared a pandemic, lockdown began. Stores, restaurants, businesses closed down employees work from home. I think the difference is that our government has been paying employees who are unable to work a monthly benefit and offering incentives for business to re-tool, change the ways in which they operate. I think the hospitality industry will be the loser in all of this. Restaurants and bars have been severely impacted. A lot of new businesses have been created. People are working from home, so families are spending more time together. If you had issues with those you lived with, unfortunately this has created a lot of problems, many fatal. I am grateful that our numbers as a nation are low, with less than 9,000 deaths with a population of 37+million.

Pros -- Canadians generally have followed the health advice and wearing masks since the beginning. Now they are mandatory in public spaces as there have been some resistance, as is expected from those who say they wont get it, but spread it. My husband and I have a lot of hobbies which we enjoy, so have been doing this more. A lot of those things that needed to be done around the house are getting done. Saving lots of money not getting massages, haircut, manicures. We have managed to get together with family and friends, under new social distance recommendations. Since we aren't travelling, we decided to buy a LA.

Cons: There are line ups at some stores, and it can get hot if I have a day of errands, and wearing my mask almost all day. DH has not been able to continue his gliding pilot lessons as they are restricted. So he has been helping at the club, but not the same. It takes a test every 2 weeks if I want to see my mom. This is a small sacrifice compared to what mom has done for me during my life. I owe her this, and also to protect others. If one person in the residence tests positive, either employee or resident, the entire place must go into lockdown. This is to protect our seniors which account for over half of the deaths. I know people are sick of hearing about Covid and many treating it lightly, but this is a pandemic, and it doesn't go away without intervention, human intervention. Also we have had to put our travel plans on hold. We are not taking any risks.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline T. View Post

Downside - My hair looks like a stringy gray mop, my fingernails are horrendous and my toes... Oh let's not talk about my toes! I’m tired of tweezing my moustache, would like to get it over with with a good ‘ol fashion waxing. My summer wardrobe is two years past due for replacement. I am beginning to look like Raggedy Ann. There are two things I won't buy on-line... 1. Shoes and 2. Clothing

I have been waxing my own moustache. Takes a little longer that the pros but it gets the job done.
                Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have used Nair for facial hairs for years. It works great and I dont get irritated. When I used to go for waxing, my hair follicles would break out in white pimples. Worst than the hair.
                  Mom had always gone for waxing, but since in a nursing home, I have used Nair. I did notice that someone has made certain that her mustache is in check these days. Thank you to staff.

• grammaterry
                  grammaterry commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have been shaving my upper lip for 50 years. I used to wax, then nair and then I thought...I'm going to try the razor. It hasn't gotten thicker...it doesn't get stubbles, it isn't any different than the nair was and it sure is simpler. My hair is dark, my mustache was black and like I said...I never noticed any courseness due to the razor. Just make sure you have plenty of moisture on it when you do.

• auntstuff
                  auntstuff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grateful I don't have a noticeable mustache though my hair is dark. But then, I don't have leg hair to worry about either, stopped growing years ago.

As you all know, I have been working a lot during this pandemic. I am hopeful that it will slow down come September when holiday time is over for most.

We always go away in September to PEI but it doesn't look that will come to fruition this year which makes us sad. Hubby has been looking online for some campgrounds that allow tenting.

Not much shopping has saved me money for sure. Certainly no dinners out either.

Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We had also planned to go to PEI this year, but sadly, this will not happen. So I've spent money and stockpiling lobster from Atlantic Canada. Every so often, we have lobster rolls or lobster with steak.
                  You might recall that last year on our way to PEI, Hurricane Dorian hit when we were in NB, so we spent our vacation there. It was a new discovery.

Originally posted by grammaterry View Post
                I'm confused as to why you think that the name COVID-19 "means that they don't want us to associate it with Corona virus in our minds." I'm also not sure who you mean when you refer to "they." The name follows standard scientific nomenclature and is transparent. Clearly, it is associated with a specific coronavirus.

Coronaviruses are named for the crown-like spikes on their surface. The coronavirus that causes the common cold is but one subset of coronaviruses. So while all cold viruses are coronaviruses, not all coronaviruses are cold viruses. The coronavirus responsible for COVID-19 is not a cold virus. And certainly, Lysol kills coronaviruses. That's why there has been such a shortage of disinfectant wipes, because suddenly EVERYONE began using them.

Yes, people die, from all sorts of causes. The CDC compiles this data every week and has done this for decades. So we know the historical average number of deaths from all causes for every week of the year. The graph looks like waves on a lake, with peaks in the winter and dips in the summer. If you look at the weekly tallies for 2020, there has been a significant spike in the number of deaths above the historical average. These "excess deaths" can provide information about the impact of the pandemic. Earlier this year, the death rate was up to 40% higher than expected. That's a HUGE spike, and it is what caused states to issue "shelter in place" orders. As those restrictions are being lifted, epidemiologists are tracking the data closely, looking for early signs of a resurgence. It's a tough balancing act, weighing the cost of shutdowns against the cost of human lives.

Comment

Working...
                X