Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Distancing - How's everyone handling it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Distancing - How's everyone handling it?

I have been able to disprove something I have said for years. "If I only had the time I would . . .". This has not been true for me during all the social distancing and shelter in place times. I have chronic health issues that put me at risk, so I have been attempting to only go out for absolute necessities. I know my depression is getting worse the longer this goes on. And I haven't worked on a quilt in months. I've become a binge TV watcher. I haven't been a big TV watcher in a long time, but I am watching entire series of old TV shows. I'm also watching a lot of movies.

How is everyone else doing or handling this time?

Nothing has really changed for me, since I live alone out in the boonies and rarely go anywhere. Only difference is now I have to wear a mask when I do. I have always been comfortable with my own company.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Bob, I'm angry about it. I think we ]were all told that we needed to flatten the curve. I was willing. We did. They said we would all get it but we just shouldn't overwhelm the healthcare system. They said, young people should get it to increase herd immunity. Now, they want us to be frightened. This is a corona virus and so is the common cold. Sure this one makes you really sick but for healthy people the sickness is short lived. People die from colds, flu, pneumonia and stuff if they are immune compromised. If you are, you should take precaution. The rest of us need to get back to the business of living. Sorry if this sounds cruel and cold but back in the late 60's early 70's we had hongkong flu. More than 100000 americans died. I had it. 7 weeks of being bedridden and little memory of those days but I haven't had a flu since. Maybe I got immunity to some strains. who knows. My point...we might get sick but we will surely die if we become a Marxist country so I have picked getting on with my life. If the store hands me a paper mask when I walk in, I will wear it and then I will dispose of it. I don't want to breathe in my own carbon dioxide. I need fresh oxygen.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree completely especially with the Marxism taking over.

• MAMSAN
        MAMSAN commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen to all you wrote!

• MSN
        MSN commented
        Editing a comment
        While the immunocompromised face the greatest risk, otherwise healthy people, including young people, have died from COVID-19. In my state, we have lost young adults, children, and even an infant. The sickness is not always short lived in healthy people. Incidentally, wearing a mask does not cause you to breathe in your own carbon dioxide or prevent you from getting fresh oxygen. Those gases pass through the mask each time you inhale or exhale. The mask helps contain respiratory droplets, to help protect others.

Hey, Bob ~ Good to see you here. I think the social distancing has been very hard on a lot of folks, esp. people who live alone. We are social creatures & need to spend time with friends & have those reciprocal conversations. Do you ever use Zoom, Skype, or face time?

I've spent more time on YouTube watching quilting videos, music, etc. I've been catching up on Karen Brown's quilting videos I hadn't previously watched & signed up for her newsletter, which will come bi-weekly. I've spent more time on the phone calling friends, esp. those who live alone. I go out once a week to groc. shop. I try to limit my errands to once a week. I always wear a mask & disp. gloves. When I go out, I try to give our other car some "exercise" by driving it out on the hwy. & county roads. A few mos. ago the battery went dead from not being driven enough. With no church services, it didn't get its usual run to church on Sundays. DH charged it up, so now I drive it at least once a week. Our quilt guild has met on Zoom the past 4 mos. There usually are 75-85 of us on. We've had 2 guests who were willing & able to do a presentation via Zoom. Not everyone has a computer or the tech. know-how to participate. We have >300 members in our guild.

It's not good to just sit around & vegetate in front of the TV. We need to get up & move. DH who is in poor health, doesn't watch much TV, but he reads much of the time. He gets up & moves every 10 min., walks up & down the bsmt. steps, gets a sip of water. Don't put yourself at risk for a DVT. Try to get your mo-jo going again & do a quilting project.

One of my widow friends, who also is a quilter, got tired of sewing, so she has been putting together puzzles. Some are very challenging.

Do you read? Our city library has been closed for 4 mos. It's slated to open tomorrow with limited conditions. I have a book going all the time. I love to read. I have a large personal library & have read some of my favorites 3 times. I order used books from Thrift Books or new ones from Christian Book Distributors.

I hope you can stave off your depression. Hang in there. Let's hope better days are ahead.

Comment

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        I am a firm supporter of thriftbooks.com every month.

Sorry about your depression Bob. 😔 I'm doing okay, but I don't live in a very hard hit state. I have a ton of hobbies. I'm sewing my own clothes, I like to cook and make my own granola (lol). I have a huge deck garden, I make suncatchers with fancy glass beads, i just got a drill press for my Dremel. Had to educate myself on drill bits for that one. None of them take an exertive amount of energy. Maybe pick up something else to play with besides quilting. 😊

🌺 Lorie

Comment

• bubba
        bubba commented
        Editing a comment
        Those drill presses work great! I also have a mini router for mine!

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        It's called a Dremel Workstation. It rotates so you can sand and buff. I got it for glass and ceramics (pots that don't have holes) since you need water for those. Pretty fun.

• auntstuff
        auntstuff commented
        Editing a comment
        Way cool! Thanks for the info!

I'm pretty much a hermit at heart so this isn't affecting me too terribly. The commissary is limiting shoppers to active duty military and their familes so I had to swich to a different groce. Well, since this started I have been using Walmart Pick-up since they are doing it for free right now and I love it! Hahaha, someone else does my actual shopping for me after I place an online order. All I do is go pick it up, never getting out of my truck. I always say "no substitutions" so I might be missing an item or two, but that is fine. Rather not have it than have something I don't really want.

My problem is I need to get my eyes fixed (cataracts) and had just convinced myself to let someone cut into my eyeball when all this corona stuff hit. The place is open back up now, so I have to call and make an appointment to get the process started. Still not looking forward to it ....
      K is for Karen 😊​..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        I was quite scared about getting mine done, it was a breeze. Don't worry about it things will be much better when you are through.

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        My stepdd had surgery for crazy eye when she was about six. easy peasy.

I get food drop off from instacart and put down no substitutions and they still insist I need one. i put down fennel, no have, how about leeks? Umm, one tastes like licorice.lol It happens all the time.

Bob...Good to hear from you. Sorry you are having such a hard time. I have down days, too, but I try to get outdoors and walk at least twice a day and I choose one thing to do each day that gives me a sense of accomplishment. We recently repainted our living room and I made new curtains. That project kept me connected for more than two weeks. Some days all a person can do is to count your blessings and keep putting one foot in front of the other to keep moving. It’s important to keep moving. I’m extremely high risk also and we have quarantined ourselves since March 1st.

Bob...do you still have your embroidery machine? If so, get it out and make something small, maybe mug rugs or coasters.

Check in here any time you need to talk or need encouragement. Praying for you, friend. 🌻
      Last edited by Bubby; July 22, 2020, 07:04 PM.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Bob, I am glad to see you back posting. I had wondered where you were. I also miss going out, mostly I miss my grands. My daughter was coming over and worked on the screen porch, maybe 3 days a week, now she is back to ship from store . She could take calls and work and no one bothered her.
        Have you tried online gaming ? Games like World of War Craft, Lord of the Rings I think both are free to try and there are many others. Yes, it is a big time consumer but its also a lot of fun. I guess my secret is out I am a quilting, gaming, grandmama.
        Last edited by TMP; July 22, 2020, 07:06 PM.

Comment

It's affected our life style a lot. My bf is not a 9 to 5 type of person. It's not unusual for me to be going grocery shopping at 10pm anx cooking dinner till midnight. I'm a night owl too. With Walmart closing at 830 and others right after it's a pain to go grocery shopping. We both work from home now. I love that part. We eat out more ..I'm feeling that extra 5 lbs. I'm on keto now to get off about 30 or to where I like what I see. This forum keeps me sane. I've been sewing a lot more. I play games on my phone ...my fav Disneys Magic Kingdoms ...its free and fun!

Comment

Bob, it's good to hear from you. The days are running together here. We've been pretty isolated since March. I go out only to get groceries/necessities. I haven't sewn in a couple of months. Our grandkids are usually visiting from Colorado during this week. They're not coming this summer so it may be next summer before we get to see them. That's the toughest part of this right now. We take Sunday drives to get off the farm and get carry out food from time to time. I'm sick of quarantine cooking (I don't like to cook! ). I get stir crazy some days, but we're well (as far as we know).
            *~* Myrna *~*
            *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Hi, Bob, glad to hear from you. The biggest change for me is that I quit my office job in March in order to take a permanent substitute teaching job at the small Christian school where my DH serves as pastor/principal. And wouldn't you know it? What was supposed to be my first day of "shadowing" the teacher I've replaced was the first day they shut the schools down here! I've basically been working half-days since then. So I have a LOT more time at home, which I'm loving. More time to sew!! Made a ton of masks in March/April, and then started making some progress on baby quilts and a couple of little dresses for my grands. (Side note: my house is no more clean now than when I was at the office full-time.)

While I'm at school I keep a mask around my neck with one of those "old lady" glasses chains, so if someone walks in I can put it on. But we're a tiny school, so it's usually just other faculty members, who are in their own classrooms. When I leave, I hang the mask on the turn indicator in my car, so I don't get to the post office or grocery store and realize it's at home.

Just a thought: when my parents got divorced (Dad left Mom after 31 years), my mom's therapist instructed her to get out of her house and run some sort of errand every day, no matter how trivial. She would go to the post office almost daily to mail something - a bill, a birthday card (she began sending them to everyone she knew!), etc. She used to receive a ton of junk mail every day (this was in the '80s), and every morning she would take a bag of it to the local Burger King, sit in a booth, drink coffee, and go through the junk mail. It forced her to get up and dressed every day, and for her, it was necessary, just to keep her sanity.

In these times, is it possible for you to get out, just for a quick spin around the block? Or go to the drive-through for coffee at McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts? You may need to "force" yourself to do something you really enjoy (like quilting!) at first, but I'm betting once you get back to it, you'll remember the joy it brings you.

Keeping you in prayer, and sending a cyber hug,
              ~ Sally \0/

Comment

• auntstuff
                auntstuff commented
                Editing a comment
                I have lived alone out here for 18 years now, and I learned early on to get dressed EVERY morning and go outside just to move around. Love watching sunrises with my coffee and listening to the birds wake up. It connects me to the world and starts the day pleasantly. If its nasty, stay on the porch, but GO OUT that door.

We started stay at home early because my husband had total knee replacement surgery in February. The one thing we miss most is going out to eat. We usually went out to eat at least twice a week. We bought another house on the opposite coast before his surgery to be closer to one of our daughters and her family. We had planned to list our current house in the spring but that didn’t happen. We now plan to move within the next few weeks. This virus has turned our plans upside down. The great thing is he can work from home until he is ready to retire so we can move when we’re ready. Still nervous about being out and having people in the house. We won’t list our house until we’re gone. I like to be home but I’m ready to see some family. Saw most of our kids, grandkids, and extended family late last year or in January and February, but it’s been hard to know we can’t visit.
              Vernona:icon_hi:

Comment

I almost feel bad that this whole crisis hasn't really affected us too much. We go out every 5 or 6 days to get milk and fresh veggies, we wear masks and are going through hand soap like crazy. We are stay at home people though so it doesn't really bother us. The worst thing for me is the news....it's always bad and it's not getting any better. I actually had to tell myself to stay out of the news feeds so much. So now I read the news in the morning and that's it.

I'm not a New Years Resolution kind of person, but this year I decided to make a big one. My goal was to walk every day except in the absolute worst kind of weather. In January I walked a whopping 28 miles (this is dedicated walks outside, not miles on a pedometer that you wear all day) and counted myself lucky to have done it. In February I wanted to do more and I walked 53 miles and was getting to really enjoy the time outside. I planned quilt projects, planned menus, watched the sun rise, talked at God. My husband just sat back and laughed at me. In May I walked 105 miles, and by then hubby was walking with me. June was a bad month because I got real sick with a Lupus flare, but now I'm back on track. Hubby has lost over 50 lbs. and is no longer laughing. Since we take the dogs with us, they are fitter and slimmer too. My balance is better, my memory is better, I have kick butt calves and I no longer eat out of boredom. Walking every day has become my sanity and a way to ground myself in all this insanity.

The absolute worst thing for us is having a daughter working in Illinois. She had a Covid scare a couple of weeks ago and it was terrifying. If she gets sick, there's nothing we can do. Having to wait over two days for the test results was awful. The worst words I could hear now are "Mom I'm sick".

I suppose I'm a real believer in exercising the mind and body. Ignore one and they both suffer. I really hope that since you've recognized what's going on you can stop the progression. Hugs to you.....
                Barbara

Comment

• JCY
                  JCY commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congratulations on getting your butt out the door & walking. That's awesome! I know I would feel better if I'd get out & walk. Just haven't made myself do it.

I stayed home for three months at least. my son did the shopping. but I've gone back to shopping since he found a job. my middle granddtr also lives with me and also found a job. part time. They both go places so i figured I might as well go shopping. i do most certainly wear a mask. how anyone wears one all day is beyond me. But still we need to do at least that. for everyone, not only ourselves.
                i watch a lot of boring t.v. Also watch shows on MHz t.v online. European ones, subtitles. i don't mind that, been doing this for years. Sometimes love to read but not so much right now. Quilt of course!! walk when i can. at least up and down our street. Feed stray cats, feed my indoor cats. Can't think of much else. Yes, I get bored. sometimes it is bad but that comes and goes. luckily! having something to do, making masks, etc. is a good thing. Keep busy everyone.
                do family history, etc. Keep your mind busy!!

Comment

This remined me of my uncle. He picked up every hobby he could think of. He lived across the street from a city college. He would walk over and do pottery and stained glass. He had a fruit orchid on his small little property. He made candles and even did cross stitch. I'm missing a few, but boy, that guy was never bored!

I like this quote

“The only thing worse than starting something and failing is not starting something.”
                  — Seth Godin
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                  X