Knit or Crochet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knit or Crochet?

I just happened to get a catalog today from Mary Maxim. oh, page 20 and 21 have Persian Tile or Tear Drop kits. Those are gorgeous! I bow to your talent, anyone who can make these lovely things. I love looking!

Those are nice. I used to crochet a lot, until I started quilting.
    Last edited by KarenC; July 21, 2020, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I both knit and crochet. Also worked in a shop and taught classes. When I started office work and spent most of my day on the computer I found my hands needed a rest after work. I started quilting and haven’t gone back to the handwork, even though I have quite an extensive yarn stash. Maybe someday now that I’m retired.

Comment

I haven't crocheted in a long time. I can't knit to save my life! My mom, my aunt and my mother-in-law all tried to teach me at some point but to no avail...
        Maria

Comment

I have knit some sweaters in the past but my mother was the knitter. I just crochet dishcloths now, lol!!
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

A friend tried to teach me to knit about 10 years ago. It was bad ... me, not her. My "dishcloth" had so many holes from dropped stitches it was crazy. My mom used to knit a Christmas stocking for each of her grandkids and then great grandkids. She passed away before my grandson was born so I decided I would knit him a stocking and asked my friend if she would help me if I got in trouble. Her first words were, "You can't knit!!!" She ended up knitting it for me, but said she would never do it again. A couple of years ago I signed up for a knitting or crochet (can't remember), class at Joanns but it was cancelled because I was the only one to sign up. Before my daughter was born (35 or 36 years ago), I took a crochet class at the local high school. I crocheted a blanket for her --- which I still have. It was okay except it started out roughly 24 in. or so across the top and tapered down to maybe 18 in. at the bottom.

So that about sums up my foray into the world of knitting and crocheting. Not successful but makes for some good laughs.

Nancy

Comment

I only remember doing crochet when I was very little. and making rugs. hook rugs maybe? haven't done much of this as an adult. just making clothes and quilts now.

Comment

I can not knit or crochet. My grandmother tried to teach me to crochet when I was little. Another grandmother could tat and I wish I had learned to do that .

Comment

I can't do either one. My grandmother made beautiful tatting and tried to teach me. All I made was knots.

Comment

I can breed the sheep. Birth the sheep. Raise the sheep. Shear the sheep. Clean & card the fleece. I can even spin the fleece into a decent & respectable yarn.
                    Then I'm done.
                    I have tried to learn to both knit & crochet. No bueno.
                    I came the closest with crochet several years ago, as I found an instruction booklet that had really good photos. I did some sample chunks on a road trip, then when I got home put them someplace with the book, and haven't seen them since.
                    My friend said to bring my yarn to her place one weekend and she'd teach me how to use her loom.
                    ​​​​​​The spinning wheel sits idle, and the yarn's still in the basket.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I can knit quite well. Crochet? Well, I can make dishcloths if I have to.

Comment

I have done a little of each and can make simple things. I'd love to be able to do some of the more intricate crochet designs. I really want a pair of hand-knit socks but when I tried to make myself some...let's just say it was a learning curve and I didn't do too well with the multiple needles. Maybe someday I'll try again. Both of my grandmothers could crochet, my mom's mom especially. But neither of them could knit. My mom doesn't do either so I mostly taught myself from pictures.

Comment

I learned to knit my freshman year of college. Mostly, I think it was an excuse to avoid studying. In many ways, though, I think it was one of the more valuable skills I learned in my undergraduate career. My first project was a pair of socks, using double-pointed needles. I know how to crochet, too, but haven't done it in years. I guess I enjoy petting fabric more than I enjoy untangling yarn.

Last edited by MSN; July 21, 2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I absolutely love to crochet. It used to be my main craft, until quilting grabbed my heart. Since we moved and most of my sewing things are in storage (until we can add a sewing room onto our new mini-house), I have gone back to crochet. I love it. I also will take a crochet project over to my mom's when I'll be spending the day with her. Mom has ALWAYS watched TV all day long, and having a crochet project keeps me sane.

Knitting is a funny story for me. My grandmother was educated in England, where we think she learned Continental knitting. That is what she taught my mother, who in turn taught me. A Knit-Cro-Sheen angel pattern made me teach myself to crochet (starting with an easy pattern? oh no, not me!), and I dropped knitting completely. But my daughters all became knitters (on their own, I might add). So I got interested in knitting again. I could knit all day long, but I simply couldn't purl. I'd ask for help, I still couldn't do it. One girlfriend got behind me and put her arms around me, holding and directing my hands. I still couldn't do it on my own.

And then I noticed a class on Craftsy about Continental Knitting and I thought, "What if a Continental purl is different?" I bought the class and Voila! This was what I remembered from my childhood. I tell you, American and Continental knit stitches are not that different from each other. But the American purl is a different animal from the Continental purl. So what had been happening was that my muscle memory refused to adapt to American knitting ... well, purling.

Here's the mystery: on Craftsy, they don't say "Continental and American knitting," they say "Continental and British." So how did my grandmother learn Continental knitting in England? I'm guessing that as the South American daughter or a wealthy rubber baron, she was educated in Catholic schools in England. So she may have been taught by French nuns. (As far as we can determine, this great grandfather was probably murdered in the Wild West of Brazil during the rubber "gold rush." We know that my grandmother was suddenly pulled back to Brazil when her father died. Her mother lost everything, as there was no protection for widows.)

I can crochet much faster than I can knit, so I find that I still choose crochet as my hand hobby.
                            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Bubby
                              Bubby commented
                              Editing a comment
                              What interesting ancestors you have!

• GuitarGramma
                              GuitarGramma commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thank you, Bubby. They are quite a crew!

I have really enjoyed this thread. I can knit and crochet but I’m much better at crochet. I should say I was better at crochet. I have made a mountain of Afghans and baby blankets both knitted and crocheted. I’m okay with knitting until I make a mistake that has to be fixed. I do still make knitted dishrags. Ultimately my love of quilting and machine embroidery are pretty much all I do. There was a time in the 80s and 90s that I was obsessed with x-stitching. My eyes aren’t what they used to be nor are my hands now that I have arthritis.
                            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• TMP
                              TMP commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I cross stitched back when my children were little. I made all kinds of Disney characters for my daughter and framed them . For my son I made a map of the US with rivers, points of interest , towns we had lived in ect . That one did me in and I never cross stitched again. Those projects are up in the attic. I was into crewel embroidery in the late 70's . I have most of those projects still up in the attic. Nothing beats quilting ! None of my quilts will go up in the attic
                          Working...
                          X