• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

They are cancelling The Rose Parade

All I can say is WOW. I get that people are bummed about sports, but I used to watch that since I was a baby with my mom. Later on it was like sit down and have a couple of beers day. lol My aunt lived really close to Pasadena and when I took my girls to visit we went to watch them put the Pasadena float together. I went for the first time that year, and Hawaii was the first marching band that came out. I'm sad 🙁

i can't imagine all the millions of flowers being grown for that. Where will it go now.

On another note I just found out our grocery store that I was going to for 35 yrs is closing. Didn't help that Safeway is in the next store grouping over. Dang it.
    Last edited by Hulamoon; July 15, 2020, 02:49 PM.
    🌺 Lorie
  • geegeequilts
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2015

I've always loved the Rose Parade. I've always wanted to work on any of the floats. They were amazing. Dang it is right! Gina

Comment

• Cokie
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2016

We went once, many years ago. My husband's company had a float in the parade - looked like a riverboat - and we got to help put flowers on it. It was a wonderful experience. I'm so sad that it's cancelled. Watching the parade has been a tradition for us.

Comment

• KarenC
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2015

Sad to see it cancelled, but understanding. Everything is changing so much this year.
        Karen
        Spring, TX

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

I only shop for a few specific items at Safeway, since their prices generally are higher than what I pay at my Kroger affiliated store, which is where I do my major groc. shopping. We used to have 3 Safeways in town, but the one on the east side of town closed a year or so ago, before the pandemic. There still are 3 Kroger stores in town, as well as a natural grocers, Whole Foods, Sprouts. Our Super Target sells groc., but I seldom shop there for anything. We have 2 Super Walmarts; I sometimes buy a few groc. there if I happen to be in the store for other items.

The C-19 pandemic has closed down many major events, even quilting shows. I sometimes wonder if we ever will see what used to be "normal" again. We don't have to like it, but we sure do have to deal with it.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2011

It's sad that so many things have been cancelled. What's worse is that so many people tend to believe that this Pandemic is a HOAX.....and how can that be? We've got people dying every day. I'm really concerned about people and their attitude about wearing masks when going out. Due to the fact that so many people are so upset about wearing masks, I RARELY go out. My Primary Care Physician wanted me to come into the office for my July appt. I refused. I thought maybe she was going to get upset with me, but she didn't. I just don't feel right about going out at all. I've even started having things delivered to the house and I disinfect everything outdoors before I bring it into the house.
            I've been told by a couple of neighbors that I'm being ridiculous, but I don't care. I have been chronically ill for years, and have been on a respirator more than once in the hospital, no thanks!! If I can avoid being in the hospital, I'd go to great lengths to do just that.
            I feel bad for a lot of the small businesses here in Michigan. So many are being forced out of business and that's sad....really sad.

cat mask.jpg
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea, every country in the world is playing a hoax. The people in the Amazon jungles are in on it too. Blows my little brain. lol Don't listen to other people, you take care of you 😊

• TMP
              TMP commented
              Editing a comment
              I had a Rheumatology appointment I think it was April over face time. Was great not to have to drive in to Birmingham. Last week I had another appointment scheduled and called to set up the face time appointment again. Well, he had stopped doing it. I cancelled my appointment and made it for later in the year. I don't understand why he stopped. Here in Alabama we have the worst numbers we have ever had and getting worse everyday. If your doctor will do the facetime appointment I think you would like it.
          • bubba
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2013

We have the Daffodil Parade. They select a princess from each high school in the county, and from them select a queen. As a kid, we got to help adorn the float from city light (the electric company) every year. Back then, they floats were quite ornate and there were lots of them. Over they years, there are less, and they aren't decorated like they once were.

They cancelled the large fair that takes place every September just last week. There was a lot of disappointment over that.

We just want to visit Hawaii!!!!!!!!!!
            pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Hulamoon
              Hulamoon commented
              Editing a comment
              Last week the interisland air fare was $29. It would cost me $50 to take a taxi to go to the dentist. lol

• bubba
              bubba commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow! That's a great price!
          • Monique
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

EVERYTHING in Canada was basically cancelled back in March. Quilt retreats, fairs, Canada Day celebrations, quilt shows, anything that had large gathering of people. Festivals, movie theatres, there is NOTHING going on anywhere.

With this pandemic, I don't know if I would want to be in with a large # of people anyway.

Hubby and I are hoping that maybe we can still go camping in September but not even sure that will happen. I don't think we will be able to go to PEI even.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Suzette
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2012

I don't believe it's a hoax but I also don't believe it is exactly how they say it is. I know too many people in the health field who see the truth day in and day out. My circle of friends includes health care workers in three different hospitals. None of them have seen a single covid patient in their hospitals despite me living very close to a "hot spot" area. But I understand that fear is powerful and the powers that be have played that card well. In the end it just comes down to common sense - keep a reasonable distance and wash hands often and thoroughly after being out and about. And if wearing a mask makes you feel better, by all means wear one. It's all good.
              Last edited by Suzette; July 16, 2020, 07:01 AM.
              Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

• MSN
                MSN commented
                Editing a comment
                I work in health care. We are not in a hot spot area, but my hospital has created a second ICU just for COVID patients. We have a handful of active cases. I assure you, this is not a hoax. The common sense measures you suggest are a great start, but this virus is primarily spread via the respiratory route. The reason to wear a mask is not to make you feel better, it is to protect others.

• TMP
                TMP commented
                Editing a comment
                Well said MSN
            • Hulamoon
              Missouri Star
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Suzette View Post
              And if wearing a mask makes you feel better, by all means wear one. It's all good.
              I think things are going to start changing in the choice of wearing one or not. Have you seen the list of major stores including Walwart, Target, CVS and growing are saying enough of harassing our employees. Wear one or don't come in.
              🌺 Lorie

Comment

• jjkaiser
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2013

Oh no not the Rose Parade! That was the very first show I ever saw on a color T.V.!!! I will always remember how amazing those colors were to me that day, like the magical part in Wizard of Oz where it goes from b/w to color.

I always wear a mask if I go out to stores but I am getting pretty sick and tired of the tug of war on social media about it. I personally think it's high time for a national mandate so life can get back to normal sooner. Just my opinion.
                Jocelyn
                South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

Working...
                X