Welcome Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Tuesday

Good morning friends. Well the septic tank got emptied early yesterday morning, laundry got done and we took a little drive into town. Stopped and had a visit with my sister-in-law and she asked if I would make her daughter a quilt from her Dad's T-shirts. Of course I would. We will also be purchasing his vehicle in the coming days. We really need one as our van will soon conk out, LOL!! We were given 1st choice. She wasn't having a good day yesterday.

The phone never rang for more work and I am happy with that. Friday I start non-stop until the middle of August. I was speaking with a long time friend yesterday. She was my maid of honour almost 39 years ago. We will get together sometime in the next 2 weeks as we will be close to each other.

I cut out several masks yesterday. So today I will get those sewn together. I also want to make some fabric ear savers and see if they will work better than the crocheted ones. Phil asked for some for his co-workers. I will NEED to buy more black fabric. Oh my, I have to go shopping.

We have an overnight guest still sleeping. A good friend of ours, I am happy he was able to have a great visit with hubby. I will make him and his wife masks this morning as well.

Have a great day everyone. Stay safe and cool.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Well, I got up this morning and put ant killer on part of the yard. I thought I had enough but it takes a lot. Lots of little ant hills . The soil is pretty sandy and I guess the fire ants think its cool. Them little buggers bite.
    Yesterday I did another embroidery duck towel. So now, only the wash cloths for that set. My son bought them for my birthday and they are black and the first towel I did with a white bobbin. Big mistake. I didn't even think about it. THe stabilizer was white. Oh my. The rest I did with a black prewound bobbin. Much better.
    Then I helped DH pile brush that had dried out from my clippings to burn. That looks better. DH cut down an oak and a pine and has plans to do some more. That will help. They have grown up in the yard toward the driveway and it is a real pain to back out of the driveway. Eventually we will clean up 25 years of yard neglect I guess. I can see why you wouldn't pay attention to the yard when you have all that beautiful water to watch after. lol.
    I made meatball alfredo with penne pasta last night. DH made a face when I told him what we were having and then he ate two big platesful. Said, "that was pretty good:" Hummm….
    We have houseguests coming Sunday thru Tuesday I think. They were pretty vague about the dates. I would think if you were coming to someones house to stay you could give me a date. I had to text to pin them down. We don't know them very well but they just texted and said they were coming the first of the week, so I said, "what day do you think you will arrive" and they said, " Sunday or Monday?" and I said, "you might want to stay more than one night?" and she said well we were hoping three". So , stay tuned I guess.
    Foggy this morning but the weather said it was going to get hot and humid by noon so off I go to the outside to accomplish something...I don't feel very productive.
    Have a great day and let the Lord keep and guide you.
    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
    Terry

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
      Nwmnteacher commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember seeing the fire ants' mounds when visiting NC. One was in a children's playground!

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh fire ants are awful ! My neighbors and I have an agreement when we are putting out the Amdro if either of us see a mound in either yard put some bait on it . Hopefully , we either eliminate them or move them on down the road.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I hate ants, although this year they do are not as bad.
      I hope this wont be houseguests from hell, never wanting to leave. Make sure they have a small room. Apparently that works.

Good morning. I had an interesting Sunday night and Monday morn. I found 2 injured young birds under a tree in our yard. I called a wildlife refuge that takes birds. They were closing for the day. She said to put them in a box and if they survived the night to bring them up. Well they were chirping when I went to check on them. So I drove them up to the refuge. I hope they survive the injuries from what ever attacked them.

On the way home I stopped at a new Michaels, where I found some scrapbooking items.
    I decided to run into Barnes and Noble and look for some quilt magazines. I esp like 2 from the UK. So no sewing happened yesterday. Hopefully today I can get a few more lines sewed today. I first have to make a key lime pie for my DH birthday.

Beth

Comment

Good Morning Monique and those who follow.

Today will be busy, hot, probably scattered thunderstorms, etc. Jim's enlisted our help with the house. I'm spackling and he and Mike are taking care of the empty fish tanks. I told him yesterday, when he took things off the wall, to put a piece of painters tape by the hole. That way, we'll get them all first go around. It will help me, that's for sure! One wall in the living room, he'll have to repaint. They made their 'entertainment center' with shelves instead of cabinets. Won't I have fun! Mike's taking the creeper to help with the baseboard work. I put on my yoga pants and an old tee shirt. Yesterday, when Jim called he said to wear painting clothes. Unfortunately, my painting jeans were too big, so I threw them away and started painting rooms in an old pair of pajamas. There was a really long silent pause when I told Jim that! He said, I could change clothes over there. Lord knows, he's seen me in pajamas, but I wouldn't go out in public with them on... not even in the car!

Yesterday it was bright and hot, naturally, but there was a breeze. That helped a little. I cut strips for binding and managed to get one of the little uglies bound. There's plenty more binding on the floor for the next few uglies, I hope! I have 4 big ones (20 blocks) left to quilt. I won't be working on that today!

Jim has an interview on Friday here in town. It would be a horrible commute from where we live. It would be designing courseware for the Navy. I think it would be interesting work, he's not too sure. We'll see how that goes. Thursday night, they're having the discussion with Morgan's parents about putting their camper (that they don't have) in their back yard when they come back to Jax. I thought that had already been discussed and settled. Holy moley! Talk about putting the cart before the horse! There are plenty of campgrounds around, they could stay at. We'll see what happens with that!

I guess it's time to get Mike up and get us both a good breakfast before we head out to Jim's. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning!

We're having a delightfully cool start to the day -- around 63, with a high in the low 80's. Perfect weather for our porch visit with Mom. The gal who makes the appointments mentioned our brother has an appointment for tomorrow night. My sister said she warned him he would need to communicate in writing, as Mom can't hear (the facility lost her hearing aids) and you have to sit 6' apart. We use whiteboards when we visit. My sister got creative and wrote on construction paper some of the regular stuff -- this friend says hi, the neighbor says hi, we love you...etc.

My company's president sent an email yesterday outlining plans for the second phase of our reopening. I could have sworn we were originally told we would be going back two days a week on rotation, through Thanksgiving, then telework through the new year. When I read the email, it looked like only certain areas would be returning; the rest of us will keep teleworking. Yikes! I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My county is one of the hardest hit by the virus and may be looking at another shutdown.

Time for a second cup of tea and to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
          Nwmnteacher commented
          Editing a comment
          The facility lost your mom's hearing aides? Shouldn't they replace them?

• JulieC
          JulieC commented
          Editing a comment
          They lost both her hearing aids the first week she was there -- the first one was lost the first night. The second one disappeared, was found, and lost again. They expected me to replace them, which I couldn't do without taking Mom to the hearing place for fitting. She did not hear well with them, she got maybe one sentence in three. She didn't like wearing them and would take them out all the time when she lived at home. Her hearing aids cost $2,000 and I didn't trust the facility not to lose them if we bought a new pair. It's a wonder her glasses lasted six months before those were lost.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          I am shocked that they didnt make a bigger effort to locate them. Are there roving patients. I know for awhile there was a resident who took a fancy to mom's things. Her TV remote, her glasses, her watch. Mom was quick to alert the staff and usually returned quickly.
          My FIL lost his glasses & hearing aid just prior to moving to a residence, and there was no way to get him tested for glasses or new hearing aids. We suspect he flushed those, as he didn't want to wear the aids.

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I had a productive day yest. Baked DH's 2 loaves of spelt bread in the a.m. While the oven was hot, I baked a pizza for my lunch. I freeze most of it for later. Did 2 loads of laundry. Worked on some greeting cards for snail mail. With no live church at the church, I haven't been able to use the mail boxes in the foyer, so I either send e-mails or send cards for birthdays & anniversaries. Yest. was DH's 77th birthday. He's received several cards, & I know of 2 others that are in the mail yet to be received.

Yest. was a very hot day. High temp. was 104. We had a very brief rain shower in the afternoon, but as soon as the sun came back out, the temp. went right back up. I watched the temps. in the early eve. When it reached 80 deg., and we had some cloud cover, I went out & spread fertilizer on the lawn. I had just enough. I was able to finish before dark. Today it's supposed to be only in the upper 70's, which will be a relief from the heat.

I'll probably take it easy today. Walking back & forth on the uneven ground is hard on my feet. I'm hoping to get some sewing done.

Comment

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy Belated Birthday to both of you!

• Cokie
          Cokie commented
          Editing a comment
          Joy, happy birthday to you and your husband. If you're slowing down, I can't imagine how busy you were before! I'm always amazed at all the things you do.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          When I was younger & still working as a nurse, I used to do yard work for 2-3 hrs. in the morning, come in, take a shower, eat lunch, & go to work at the hosp. on the 3-11 shift for 8 hrs. or so. Can't do that these days! I pretty much limit my yard work to 2 hrs. at a time, & not 2 days in a row. And many years before that (before I went back to work), we had a big garden. I canned fruit every summer. Before we had the lawn service (this is our 7th season), I did all the lawn mowing (riding mower), weed whacking, multiple flower beds, etc. DH used to help with upkeep on the sprinkler system & the mowers, sprayed the weeds, etc., but he hasn't been able to do that for a very long time.

Yesterday was fun, or at least fun for now-a-days. I took the dog to be washed and her toenails cut, I have tried to do that myself but she fights it like a bull moose. I then had my toenails done, sitting behind a plexi screen wearing a mask, still quite a luxury. Later in the afternoon I met my longarmer and got my quilt, she did a fabulous job on it, I am scared to trim it and mess it up. It was quilted using wool batting, so hug-able.
        I also cut out the dark part of a log cabin, might get the lights cut today or tomorrow.
        It is election day here for a senate run off. I just don't know which guy to vote for, tired of voting against instead of for someone. Two poor choices.☹

Comment

• TMP
          TMP commented
          Editing a comment
          Claire, This is the first time I can remember not voting in many years.. I just don't feel safe going out. My son has had both choices on his show many times this year. He is upset with me that I am sitting this one out . He will not tell me which one he is voting for.

• KPH
          KPH commented
          Editing a comment
          We got our ballots in the mail last week. Did my research and mailed them back. Now to hope that the mail system, the vote counters will actually do their legal responsibility. It's just so hard to trust the election system.

• JCY
          JCY commented
          Editing a comment
          We signed up many years ago for mail-in ballots & have voted at home ever since. It's so convenient.

Good Morning

The weather is pretty hot and appears to become hotter and more humid as the week goes on. I don't like the high temps, but I dislike the humidity even more.

Friday night three of my granddaughters slept over. We had a great time. It was the first time they had stayed overnight at my new house. We played "The Game of Life", made our pizza for dinner and then they had ice cream sundaes later. I finally caved in and made the first move to bed around midnight. The girls followed . . . thank goodness.

I have not been happy with the storage in my sewing room. It didn't turn out as well as I had been hoping it would, to so I have ordered some wire drawer shelving units. Sunday, I cleaned out the shelf in the closet with all the plastic containers with fabric, patterns, etc., moved a cabinet from one wall (put that out in the entry of the house for now), put those plastic containers on that cabinet, the floor and in the 2nd bathroom. I then moved the shelf from the closet out and put it in the space where the other cabinet was. All this in anticipation that the new units were to be available for pickup on Monday, the 13th, yesterday. Monday morning, I checked my emails to check the tracking on these units . . . delivery has been delayed until this Friday, the 17th. I am not a happy girl!!! I would have waited a couple of days to do all that if I had known they were going to be delayed that long. Now my sewing room is more messy than it usually is.

Thursday I was supposed to have lunch with a couple of retired friends but that has been changed to Wednesday. Friday, I have an appointment with my accountant so he can make sure I am on the right track for my taxes for next year. This year's taxes (2019) were the first time I had to file as a single instead of married filing joint and apparently it makes a big difference. And today is the day the mowers are supposed to be here mowing but I don't hear anything running. They did not show last week because it had been dry but we have had some rain and the grass does need cut.

Time to get the old bones moving and get something done around here today. Have a great, but safe and healthy, day!!!

Nancy

Comment

Good morning everone,

We had a nice amount of rain yesterday, and everything looks perked up and green. I have an appt. to get my hair cut today. I haven't had it colored since before CoVid-19 started, so I'm getting closer and closer to being all gray. My DD says, "Embrace it, Mom!" We'll see how I like it. I'm thinking of the money I'm saving that can be spent on fabric! LOL After the haircut, I have an appt. to have the car's oil changed. I hope to get home at a decent time. Tomorrow is a work day....inventory :-( I'm thinking of heading to the cabin Thursday morning....just the dogs and me....I need to spend some time enjoying the serenity of the woods and lake. Of course, I have a sewing machine and supplies there, so maybe I'll get some inspiration. When I'm there, I put the machine on the kitchen table, and I look right out on the lake, only 30 feet away. Heaven on earth!

Have a peaceful day,
          Jeanne

Comment

• JCY
            JCY commented
            Editing a comment
            Just think how much more $ you'd save if you cut your hair yourself! I've been cutting DH's & my hair for >30 yrs. The last time I was at the hairdresser's, when I got home, I was dissatisfied with the cut; he didn't take enough off. I'd been watching him cut my hair by looking in the mirror over time. I thought, I can do this myself. I've been cutting my own hair ever since. I used to cut the boys' hair when they were young. I'm still using the same barber scissors & clippers all these years. Imagine how many hundreds of $ I've saved. Now that would buy a lot of fabric!

• Nwmnteacher
            Nwmnteacher commented
            Editing a comment
            Joy, that's true! The new place I go to only charges $20 for a haircut, and I like what she does with my hair. I don't mind that price. The other place I used to go to charged about $100-$130 for a cut and color..

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't cut my own hair, and I need it bad lol my hair is longer and it's hard to make sure it's straight in the back. I do color my own hair. I go to Sally's and buy the same thing they use in the salons. It's usually around $8 if not on sale.

You're cabin sounds amazing..I would never want to leave lol

Good Morning all,

Yesterday was a little nicer that what we have been experiencing lately. Nice breeze although still humid and the temps were in the 80's. Supposed to stay in the 70's today but the humidity is back up again.

Took my son to the ER yesterday as he requested and it has not turned out very good. He is now in the ICU. They have told him he has significant brain damage and that it will not get better but worse. His heart is working too hard, his blood pressure is too high and on and on. They want to put him on some drugs that his insurance will not pay for. He has no income except his disability which is only $296 a month. The hospital is contacting the county to get him on a program they have, from what my son tell me, that will pay for these medications. What I hope they can do is get him into an assisted living facility. He has no where to live and we do not have a place for him here. Prayers would be appreciated as we work through these difficulties.

I did get up to the sewing room yesterday and worked on a carpenters wheel. Wow, I'm challenged on this one. I worked on it for about 3 hours and got about half of it done. I think I'm figuring out just what to do as toward the end of the evening I was not doing any ripping. I hope to complete that one today.

Tomorrow I'm taking my dogs to the vet for their annual check up. They are only 20 minutes away from my daughter's house so I will stop there and drop off the baby quilt that I finished for my grandson's best friend. He knows about it and will be picking it up from his mom's house. I'm always anxious about giving the quilts out as I want them to love them as much as I do.

Today I will probably take a trip downtown to get the license tabs for my car and I may run up to Menards to get a nice ceramic pot for the desert rose I got the other day. The desert rose I have is a yellow one and the one I just bought is supposed to be pink. The new one looks a lot better than the one I had. Much fuller. Hopefully I will be able to get to the sewing room to complete the carpenters wheel and then move on to another challenge. I like the challenge and then, too, I'm learning. Nothing wrong with that!

Have a great day everyone.
          Carlie

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            So sorry to hear about your son. I will keep him in prayers and that he also gets into assisted living facility. It sounds like this would be the best for him in the long run.

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Prayers for your son! I know it's probably hard not to have him with you but a facility sounds like it's the best option for you. I hope he gets in.
            Your temps sound amazing, we are having the worst heat wave in centuries here. 109 Today. We've been lucky and not effected by our electric being turned off due to machines overheating at the electric company. This heat is unprecedented here.

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            Rachel, our temps the last two days have been very nice. I don’t remember ever having over 100. We are supposed to get 90’s again later this week. Humidity has been crazy this week. Do you get a lot of humidity where you are? I know your in Texas, my cousin lives in Texas and she has been noting the temps too. I think she is more in the NW area. I’m in southern MN and for us this is what we had back ribs ago when I was a kid 🤣. In the 60’s. But then I winder if I was more comfortable with it since we did not have A/C back then.

Good Morning.....So far I’ve had a fairly productive day. I changed the linen on our bed and caught up the laundry. I may make a flying trip to the grocery store today.

Jeff is spraying for bugs outdoors and the Girls are napping. I’m heading to my sewing room to see if I can get inspired. The quilt below is a tiny quilt less than twelve inches long. I love 30s repro fabrics. I let a young friend put some of her hand stitches in the sashing. Have a great day everyone.

FEF09D9F-E648-4D06-A292-438B6053BE68.jpeg
          Last edited by Bubby; July 14, 2020, 11:56 AM.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Cokie
            Cokie commented
            Editing a comment
            That is so cute. I love the colors, especially the border.

• CarlieBlilie
            CarlieBlilie commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, I don’t know that I would do something quite that small. I, too, live 39’s reproduction fabrics. I made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt from mine.

• Momofmonsters5
            Momofmonsters5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know if you're ever interested in a trade I have tons of bricks 2 1/2 × 5 left overs of 30's prints. All
            Moda and I can't remember the other brand. They were charm packs. I also have actual fabrics from the 30's. When I did my quilt, I did a swap. I'd have to get them out to give an exact quantity but I want to say probably at least a charm pack worth all cut in half. Hopefully that makes sense.

Good afternoon,
          The past few days were a bit cooler at night, but we are right back in the late 80-90s, with way too much humidity for my liking. I have loaded another VQC quilt top, to test out on the LA. I will choose a continuous pattern, maybe swirls or flowers. One that hopefully wont show up my mistakes, once finished.

Yesterday, I decided I was going to make placemats for ourselves. You'll be surprised that I have never made any. Mostly I would do to sell, but too time-consuming for the price they could fetch. However, these are from a panel I bought that I liked, so I just have to do some like quilting and sew the back on. I will use sew & flip method. I used 2 layers of Thermore batting -- I made a table runner like this and loved the weight. I have also cut flannel for 8+ baby box sets. Just a few distractions to piecing.

Today, DH & I drove to a small village east of here for the Covid test. It was a drive-thru. Wait in car, they take info on phone, then drive up when called. It was a 25 min drive and we were done in less than 1/2 hr. We then went to local cheese factory for poutine (that[s french fries, cheese curds & gravy). All in all, it was a nice drive in the country. It was much faster than going to one of the city's test facility which took 2 hrs last time. Since I have to go every 14 days to visit mom. we will go back. I should have results in 24-48 hrs.

Our province is going to stage 3 of business openings this Friday. Our numbers have been dropping and very low, mostly because people are cautious and wear masks. Toronto and the Niagara region will not be moving to stage 3 yet as their numbers are still high, and it shows people are not willing to adhere to regulations. Masks are mandatory indoors, but I suspect with phase 3, it may be expanded. I hope that everyone is staying safe, especially as we see reports from US that are just staggering.

Have a good evening.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

That is so cute! Love it! A nice selection of fabrics, too.

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              They are so cute!
          Working...
          X