woodpeckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

woodpeckers

This morning we heard a woodpecker hammering away at our wood siding. We shoo'd it away but it has come back 3 times today and the last time there were 2 of them. Have you had a problem with woodpeckers? They're doing a lot of damage very quickly. We put up some shiny streamers, hoping to nip it in the bud. Would appreciate any advice.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

We also have woodpeckers pecking
    on our wood siding as well. My husband fills the holes up with clear caulking. Later brushes stain on.
    i have no idea how to get rid of them.
    We live in a rural area with a lot of trees and have no idea why every year they continue to put holes in
    our wood siding.

Comment

We had problems like that when we moved into our house 9 years ago. I think my husband said they had been hammering away for a while. We think there were bugs in the wood that they were looking for. The siding had been damaged from a roof leak, we think, and bugs were having a hay day. You might want to see if there is something they are trying to get at.
      Carlie

Comment

Sorry I don't have a solution for you. This reminded me of when I was a kid. When Mom & Dad bought their house, it was wood siding (painted pink!) with brown trim. I remember woodpeckers pecking at the side of the house. They decided they didn't want to deal with painting the house and covered it with aluminum (or vinyl?) siding.

Comment

Not Woodpeckers, we don't have those over here. Mine is the roaming chickens and roosters. One hen won't stay off the deck. It's railed and 4' off the ground. Everyday like 8-10 times she flies up to eat the kitty food. I have scared her, yelled and tried to squirt water, but she's too fast. I think something is wrong with her. I walked up to her outside and she just looks at me. lol

I ordered a motion sensor water sprinkler, videos show that it works. It's coming this week.Yeah! In my search I did see the same concept but lets off sound. Maybe look into one of those?

i did read if you get an Owl statue that it might work. Predators. We don't have any predators. Dang hen walks right by my cat.

This looks scary.
          https://www.amazon.com/Balloon-Bird-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
          Last edited by Hulamoon; June 29, 2020, 07:16 PM.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I just did a quick internet search on How to Get Rid of Woodpeckers on the House -- lots of web sites came up. You might want to research there. Various ones mention to check the house siding for bugs or insects & deal with that first. Also hanging wind chimes or bright shiny objects. The owl was mentioned. We have flickers around quite a bit. Most of the time they "buzz" on the metal gutters or some other item that makes a lot of noise. I've never seen them actually drill on the siding. We don't have any bird feeders in our yard any more, but we provide a water dish for the birds to get a drink. I hope you find a resolution soon.

Comment

We've been in this house since last September. Soon after moving in we found out that a woodpecker preferred the wood trim on the house over all the trees in the yard. We put up the shiny, twirly, hanging strips. The woodpecker didn't mind those at all- not a bit bothered by them. So far this year the woodpecker hasn't been on the house but I did see one on a neighbor's fallen tree a couple weeks ago. If you find out what *really* keeps them away, let me know!!!
              ~ Carol from PA

Comment

They are going after bugs. If you can eliminate the bugs, the woodpeckers will move on. A few years ago, woodpeckers did so much damage that we had to replace the siding and the insulation underneath. Of course, we couldn't find matching siding and had to make it ourselves. Thankfully, it was only about 4 feet wide, but we had to replace from the ground up to the roof.

Comment

Yes, I had read that woodpeckers peck for 4 reasons: to call a mate, to build a nest, to go after insects or to store food and will do quite a bit of damage. I don't think it's mating season and the storage of food is more in the fall in western states so I'm assuming it's insects. We're investigating and will probably call in pest control for a thorough inspection before the birds do any more damage. There have been many studies on how to deter them (I won't bore you here) but the most long-lasting and most successful is the shiny, twirly materials route. DH looked mighty funny on the ladder tonight installing some 4th of July streamers and pinwheels on the house trim. I was just wondering if anyone found any other tricks.
                  Michele

Comment

A few weeks ago, I kept hearing a tap tap tap sound on my front porch. Thought it was squirrels but couldn't see anything. This kept up for a couple of days, and I just happened to look out the window one day and saw a woodpecker head sticking up on the outside screen. My porch is screened and has the treated wood spindles on the lower half. Going to another window, saw mom or dad woodpeckers feeding baby (just fledged) woodpeckers the bugs they were pecking out of the spindles. (Cutest site and have videos and pictures) Have had an additional ongoing problem with carpenter bees and assumed the woodpeckers were going after the grubs of baby carpenter bees. Some minor damage but the bees were doing their fair share too. The woodpeckers were only busy for a couple of days and have since moved on.
                    Actually it was a welcome diversion to the stay at home isolation.
                    Just my experience, sorry don't have a solution. Guess my porch is doomed.

Comment

• chelea
                      chelea commented
                      Editing a comment
                      According to my research, carpenter bees are a woodpecker favorite. They are awfully cute birds, just wish they weren't so destructive.

We are living only about 218 y. from the forest and there are many woodpecker around here, you can hear them. The only trouble they can do, what I knew is, that they go "working" at houses on the out walls were isolation is put on. They hammering holes in the isolation foam and other birds start nesting in it. We had that happened some times at work, with houses we are looking for.

Comment

Here's a link to a website on how to Get Rid of Woodpeckers :
                      https://thewoodpeckerremover.com/how...-easy-methods/

Hope this helps.

woodpecker-animated.gif
                      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I have Downey woodpeckers and a large red headed woodpecker that frequent my yard just about every day. I have a woodpecker seed cake that fits in a basket as a feeder, they seem to love it (fruits and nuts in it) and they never have tried to peck on the house. Maybe offer them an alternative food option. Just a thought to see if it would keep them off the house.
                        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed, but after DH installed our shiny pinwheels and streamers, no pecking today!
                          Michele

Comment

Good luck with the Woodpeckers. They are persistent. We had one many years ago who decided the telephone pole in our back yard was ideal for his nest. He worked on digging a hole for 2 years before he finally gave up. We decided he had scrambled his brains the first year.

Comment

Working...
                            X