Meaning of the Crone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meaning of the Crone

Hi ladies!! Monique mentioned that she looked up the word 'crone' the other day, so I figured I'd tell you all why I call myself that.

Some history if it's ok
    If you look it up, most times you'll get this meaning first.
    "old women who is thin and ugly".
    HAHAHA..well, not true really. I am old, sure, but thin I am most definitely not..and ugly..well as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder..so you tell me see photo attached.
    Others are: In folklore, a crone is an old woman who may be disagreeable, malicious, or sinister in manner, often with magical or supernatural associations that can make her either helpful or obstructing. The Crone is also an archetypal figure, a "Wise Women."

To me:
    The crone is the old wise women of the family, the village, the town or the world. She is the keeper of the family traditions, the healer and the one who people come to for advise. I do fit into all those categories.
    It all has to do with what I believe and what I've seen in life

So here's what I believe:

In a womans life she is three things..
    One, a maiden when she is young and sewing her wild oats, laughing and loving with true abandon. The child to the young adult. She seeks the fun of life, she eats the sweets life brings her... She is what we all love to see..the beauty and new growth of the world. She is the one who will continue all life on earth.

Two, the mother when she is of child bearing years and through children of her own or her families and friends, cares for others in many different ways. She nurtures the child or her parents. She comforts friends and family, she provides and produces. She learns all she can when she needs it. She gets frazzled and worn, her scars are starting to show, but she is always learning from the adult she is through middle age and the beginning of her aging scars to the beginning of Cronehood. She transforms into the family glue.

And finally three, the Crone. The wise older mother, the women who can now relax from her mothering duties to come full circle and be a child again by playing with her grands and enjoying watching them grow instead of trying to busily get them grown (as when she did her own children), the elder of the family structure..to whom all others come to for advise and wisdom. The healer of broken hearts and the glue that holds the family together. She has come into her menopausal life..she is the crone. She is not ugly, her wrinkles show the life she has worn, some battle worthy, some from all her smiles and laughter.

It follows the seasons of our world..spring into summer, summer into fall and fall into winter. The Crone is the winter of a womans years.

Different countries and peoples have many different terms and meanings for crone. This it suits me and the way I am. It's what I've discovered in my life. It's not for everyone. In life no one is exactly the same nor should we be.
    I love watching my children mature, and my grandkids grow and coming into each stage of life. I enjoy the cycle of life we all experience. I want to take the time for it, cherish it and watch it unfold before me. Its what life is all about.

Yep, I'm a crone and I proudly wear it.

EDITED to add: Sadly though, something else I've learned, we are sometimes, the forgotten ones. I hope we never have to experience that.

*note: all words in italics are copied from various places on the net..the rest..are mine.
    Last edited by SagedCrone; June 26, 2020, 10:32 AM.
    ๐Ÿ˜Ž Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Wonderfully and beautifully said.
    Carlie

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much..!

Sage ~ I loved your description & comments about crone. Nicely said. Loved seeing a pic of you. You look pretty young & spry to me. I remember DH's mom saying she thought elderly people often are ignored out in public. Years ago there was a woman -- not sure if she was a reporter -- who went "under cover" & dressed as an elderly woman & wrote up about how she was ignored & treated. Our older citizens have a wealth of wisdom that could be shared with those who are younger. Sometimes they just want to be listened to & appreciated -- even if we've heard their stories before.

Comment

• Teen
      Teen commented
      Editing a comment
      I think American culture's treatment of our elderly is abhorrent. I've always had an admirable respect for the Asian culture and the value they put on their elderly.

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much!
      Being forgotten is something that I have talked to many many crones about..they are living meagerly at best, forgotten and alone. It's very wrong and horribly cruel. Families sometimes toss the elderly to the wolves just wanting to see them less and less and the strangers on the streets are ..well, they just are. You would be surprised to find how many are homeless, living in their cars. I speak with many 'crones' ..and have talked about starting up a 'communal' type of village..owned by the crones themselves..a Crones Convent if you will..where those who are still capable of simple daily things but forgotten by their family or have no family could live out the rest of their lives, doing what they love..from art, to cooking, to reading..mattered not. It's a dream of course, but it's one I wish I could bring about. Perhaps someday..who knows.

And as far as looking young and spry..HAHAHAH..you so funny! LOL Thank you though..the light was just right for that pic and it is a few years old..(not too long ago)..but spry?..I only wish!

Love this! Definitely wise and, as your picture reflects, beautiful!
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much!

I just love your haircut!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      THANKS!
      Whoo wee...I wish it was like that now..it's a basic pixie cut, but that was before moving here to Montana..my hairdresser knew just how I liked it and she did a wonderful job..but, here in MT, that's a different story! I didn't get a chance to find a hairdresser before they shut it all down..and the last time I got it cut was about a month before leaving SC..so, October of last year! Now......holymoly..it's a mess. Now I'm struggling with..keep it and grow it (just get past the next year and the ugly stage) or chance it all and go find a hairdresser that's open. (Of course, I could try it myself! LOL..or always shave it!..I mean, it will grow back!)

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Sage, I myself have very long hair and I trim it myself so no problem dealing with hair salons. I did have short hair when I was 13 and I hated it so grew it out. I think your hair is very cute but I wouldn't like it on me. It also reminds me of my mom because she always had her hair short from the time she cut it when I was about 4. It was such a change the my 10 month old sister didn't recognize her. Anyway, it was the bouffant style of the 50's first then slowly went shorter until it was actually what I would call a "boy" cut. Maybe a little shorter than yours in your picture.
      Last edited by CarlieBlilie; June 27, 2020, 10:15 AM.

I loved for explanation of a crone I am going copy and share with some friends. You are a beautiful "crone"! ๐Ÿ˜Š thanks for writing this down. Made my day!

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      You are very welcome! I'm glad it made you feel good..that..makes me feel good! (feeling good can be contagious!)

I have always wondered why "they" don't put nursing homes and preschools together. Love given by all to all.
    sigpic

Comment

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, never thought of that but how wonderful it would be. My grandmother was 100 years old when she passed 10 years ago and I still remember how her eyes would light up when my grandkids would come and visit her and grandpa. Pretty special for my grandkids to know my grandparents (two of them do remember them).

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think I've ever seen an elderly person not 'light up' at the sight of children playing, laughing and just being kids..(cept me..I don't like children and I make sure I tell my children that everyday! LOLOLOL..and you know I'm jokin!) I thik I read once that there were some kindergarten classes that did do a visit to a local nursing home..permissions had to be gotten all around for that of course. Same reason that 'therapy' dogs are great in hospitals and nursing homes..they bring joy, comfort and something different from the normal day to day.

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      There is an "Intergenerational Learning Center" near me; it's a day care center next door to an assisted living facility.

Thank you for sharing 'you' with us.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you for your beautiful reminder that aging has its merits. Sometimes it's hard to remember that. And also, I did notice the quilt in your picture!

Comment

• SagedCrone
        SagedCrone commented
        Editing a comment
        hahaha..I didn't...good eye there! That is my 'car' quilt. It's made up of a good many orphan blocks that I had floating around. I even tried to hand quilt it with 'bigger' stitches so it would look..'older' I guess. but, it has permanent residence in my car in case of emergencies..never know when you might get stranded and need a cover till someone rescues you!

Sage, you are a very talented writer :-)

Comment

• SagedCrone
        SagedCrone commented
        Editing a comment
        Aww..thank you very much..I just write what I think! Many many years ago I considered writing, I did begin writing a 'teen/young adult' book for my daughter..I never finished it and to this day she tells me I was crazy not to because she loved it. <shrug> funny how life just takes over the things we WANT to do for the things we HAVE to do. <sigh>

Lovely in so many ways.

I've loved reading all of the comments.

When mom was starting to decline, there was an article about a nursery school that was in the nursing home for the adjoining hospital's and their staff members. The children would have time every day with their 'mentors' in the assisted living through nursing facility. They also welcomed the residents into the classroom for PT with the Montessori materials. Children would get the lessons and practice, then they would work with their elders on the lessons that they had learned earlier in the day. I always dreamed of having something like that close that I could work and help with. lol, but I don't think I'd have the patience for it now.
      Katrina
      โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

• SagedCrone
        SagedCrone commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much! You never know..perhaps if it was more one on one the patience wouldn't be an issue. I know that I can get overwhelmed with 'too' much busy-ness around me...makes me cookoo!
        Sad..it didn't used to though.I remember
        In High School we had a college level "Early Learning Development" course (a collaboration with state school board and education administration, they don't offer these type of things in school anymore..sad). Each class was 2 hours long and required 2 year sign up. Once the course was completed, it would only require a state exam to be able to work in the State funded Head Start program, or be a substitute up to 5th grade. At that time, I did want to be a teacher (art)..I applied and was accepted. The class contained studies on education, psychology, language, arts, the whole nine yards on how to 'educate' or teach, handle and council children from pre-k to about 3rd grade. The second year of the class was a split year. The first half we would go to local pre-k/headstarts and volunteer as a teachers aides in a classroom. The second half of the year, we ran a pre-k of about 8 children IN the high school. (which had all the accouterments of a day care center). It was an awesome class (very small, only about 6 girls) and one of my most favored and memorable. I LOVED getting on the floor with those kids and playing..crawling through tunnels we had made and 'pretend' cooking, blocks and paints! It was a blast. The teacher begged me to attend college and further that education, but my life did not offer that ability for me. HOWEVER..I still did run my own small day care for several years, and did substitute teaching when I could and have always loved children, even adopted an extra one and had several 'rent-a-kids' as I used to joke with them. All this to say, when my mother had her stroke, all that training seemed to come in very handy as she did revert back to some childhood actions and issues. It all made me realize just how similar the elderly and the very young have in common. (wow..didn't mean to get so long there..sorry!)
        Last edited by SagedCrone; June 27, 2020, 12:38 PM.

I also enjoyed both what you wrote and all the comments. I guess we are all crones here lol! You do NOT look old at all and to be honest I would kill for your beautiful skin. You do not have one single wrinkle and don't tell me I need to go see the eye doctor!!!

Comment

• SagedCrone
        SagedCrone commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh but I have plenty..like I said..the lighting was good! (meaning..in the car..wasn't much overhead light)
        LOL...and I promise..no filters on that photo..I took that pic to send to my sister to show her the hair cut..had just gotten it done, the salon building right behind me! Thank you!
    Working...
    X