Welcome Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Tuesday

Good morning friends. It is still hot and muggy this morning. We did have rain but we really need more. After today we will get some relief from the heat, it is supposed to be quite a bit cooler.

I had a busy day at the post office and ended up calling the help line 3 times. The first two I had to have a password reset, the third one, their admin forgot to log off and I could not get into the system. The technician laughed when I told him I had promised the previous tech that I wouldn't call a 3rd time. He apologized and said that it shouldn't have happened in the first place, and my reply was we are all human and make mistakes.

Hubby surprized me with supper, mind you, he bought at chip stand practically beside our house. It was lovely just the same not to have to cook something.

It seems the storm we had yesterday has knocked out our phone. One neighbour has phone, the other has a busy signal when he picks up. Called and they will send a technician today. They told me to also get the neighbour to call about his at the same time. It seems everyone else has phone. My neighbour will be on duty as there won't be anyone home for the technician.

Another work day and then off tomorrow and back to work Thursday and Friday at a different post office. With hubby away I may get some much needed housework done before all else.

Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good Morning, Everyone ~ I took advantage of a cooler morning yest. to work in the yard. The weeds in between the 2 fences on the N. side of the house have been getting taller & taller. It was time to get them out of there. There's 9-12" between the 2 fences, our chain link fence & the neighbor's solid white plastic one. I probably should have sprayed them when they were little, but it was just one of those things that didn't get done. So I worked 2 hrs. on snaking my fingers & garden tools through the chain link fence to get at the weeds. It looks much better now. I got done before the garbage truck came by, so the bag of weeds went out.

Yest. I did 4 loads of laundry. I did not get any sewing done. Today I'll be cooking up DH's Anasazi beans. Maybe I can get to the sewing room. Hope so.

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JCY...you might want to try boiling water..it may be a bit of walking from kitchen to weed area, but pouring hot boiling water on most areas of weeds will kill them. Then, when the dry up, much easier to pull up! If its a stubborn weed you my have to do it twice. :/ I have't sewn on any quilt project lately..I think I'm stuck..lol..Good luck getting in to the sewing room today.

• JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip about the weeds. Hadn't heard that one before.

Good morning!

We have some rain to start the day. There is a chance of storms through the afternoon. I hope this doesn't impact our visit to Mom today. The porch is covered, depending on which direction the wind comes from we should be fine. Mom has never been a fan of thunderstorms. When she was kid, one of her neighbor's kids was struck by lightning while standing by window, watching a storm. She would always yell at us to get away from the windows.

My sister had a good birthday yesterday. I went over there around lunchtime. We ordered pizza and hung out for a few hours. Our brother had stopped by over the weekend and was a little perturbed she made him social distance. He works in downtown Cleveland and takes public transportation. I'm surprised she let him in the house.

My order from M* arrived yesterday morning! I thought it would take another day or two. They have the disclaimer on the website that orders with yardage take longer. It did, but it really wasn't too bad. Maybe just a couple days longer than normal.

Time for a second cup of tea and to log in to work. Have a wonderful day!

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny you mentioned the 'get away from the windows' thing..my mother (and entire family) did the same thing. I'm not sure if it was due to them knowing it could happen, or if the caution was simply a handed down one, but the mention of it reminded me of how many times my mother said that to me..I'm a storm watcher, LOVE to watch them..outside even under cover of course, it was a daily highlight when I lived in Florida ...every afternoon in the heat of summer, between 3 and 4 o'clock I could count on it, the sky started to darken, you could watch it roll in..it was awesome. (only bad part about it was, that was the exact time the kids were walking home from school..never failed, for a solid 2-4 week period, we got wet every day on the walk home!!! It was always kind of welcomed though..it could be in the upper 90's and creeping into 100..but it kept it cooler for the walk home.

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      My husbands grandmother told us that when she was a baby she was in a buggy in front of a window when a thunderstorm came through. Her mother picked her up and a minute later the buggy was struck by lightning. I am afraid of storms, have been since I was very little. Story goes that lightning struck extremely close to our house and my mother dropped a coffee pot which startled me. I've struggled to overcome my fear, thankfully did not pass up on to my kids. My husband is like you, Sage, loves thunderstorms and lightning displays and watches them when he can.

• Monique
      Monique commented
      Editing a comment
      I was terrified as a child growing up. I would pull the blankets over my eyes. I remember hiding as well. I am not as bad now. I can live through them.

Good morning everyone!
    It looks like a good day to get some windows and screens cleaned. Unfortunately! I never did get out to Joann's yesterday so I hope to get there today sometime. I spent a bit of time watching Judy Niemeyer's first video on how to make the Valley Blossoms quilt. I don't know when I will get started on that quilt but I definitely will watch all the videos for it. When I was doing the binding for the last quilt I made, just a smaller quilt- about 65" x 80", I was wondering how I will ever manage the binding on the king size quilt. I do the bindings on the machine. In my old sewing room, I had space to put another table to support the quilt. I don't have that space now. I'll worry about that when the time comes. I don't even have all the fabric yet!
    We had hot dogs on the grill for supper last night and sat out on the deck. It started to rain fairly hard as we ate. So we just put up the table umbrella and stayed where we were. The rain was coming straight down so we didn't get wet. It was kinda fun.
    We have to plan the full menu for our July 4th party. It's not going to be a huge party- 11 adults and 5 kids. We're having the typical burgers and kielbasa on the grill but still have to decide on all the sides. I have a tendency to make way too much food but I like to have enough extras for everyone to take some home with them. Oh, yeah, better stock up on plastic containers for the leftovers.
    Time for my second tea then get out the Windex and get to work on those windows.
    Have a happy day!
    ~ Carol from PA

Comment

• SagedCrone
      SagedCrone commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck on your binding! I did my king..it took me about a year + to make and finish the quilt ( I did take a 2 month break from it..and I hand quilt them) It was 120 x 120..huge. I think I worked on the binding for several days after sewing one side of it with the sewing machine of course. If I'm not mistaken, I sat up an extra table to start it on the machine. I hope you get it figured out. Good luck.

Good Morning MSQC Friends!
    I wasn't online all day yesterday. I slept most of the day. I do that sometimes when I'm not feeling so hot. I have issues that cause me to vomit a lot and after that happens 5-6 times a day...well, to be honest, the older I get the more it takes out of me. The cute thing about me sleeping most of the day is how my cat Mason acts. He'll come in and hop on the bed in the early morning and take a nap himself. Mason will get up in an hour or so to check to see how his food/water dishes are or if they've been filled. Mason will check on me 2-3 times more...and then start rubbing my arm....I guess he's trying to make sure there isn't anything seriously wrong with his "mom". If I don't wake up, he starts "talking" meowing until I say something to him. If I don't he's learned how to turn the TV off by using the Remote control on the nightstand that I have velcro-ed to my nightstand. THEN of course I'll get up, and he knows that. (He honestly looks like he has this huge smile on his face, as if he's done something great for the day! He's a great cat and I love him! )

Like I've mentioned in other comments I'm in the process of re-doing the kitchen, the main bathroom and the master bedroom. The planning stages are beginning to bug me. I've changed my mind about things 2-3 times already. To those of you that answered my questions about the Gas Stoves (for the kitchen) THANK you, I really appreciated the info I received.

After lunch I'm going to cut out some more fabric for those bags I've been making for Foster Children in our area. I've also been thinking about making them a Pillowcase as well, but haven't made the final decision on that. I've received some cute thank you from the kids. The social workers call and tell me that they were so pleased with the bags, especially the older kids that have been in 2-3 foster homes. Recently I've been watching a You Tube family that has adopted 13-15 children. They started out fostering "family groups" and then eventually adopt the kids. The You Tube videos are really nice. The parents had two kids of their own, one daughter who is older and married (and she is adopting through foster care too, she & her hubby have 2-3 kids) and a boy that 12-13 yrs old. Right now this family is re-decorating the kids rooms.....and it's fun to watch and amazing to see how excited the kids are!

Well, I think I'm going to spend some time cleaning out the kitchen cupboards. The cupboards were replaced in 1999, actually the entire kitchen was re-done. the cupboards are just your regular standard reasonably priced oak cupboards, but I am getting tired of the oak and I am thinking about painting them before I replace the stove & dishwasher. I've thought about renovating the house and then moving into a 55+ condo. There's a couple of places in town that were originally high-rise apartments. You now purchase them, and then there's an HOA fee that includes your heat/lights, Cable, snow removal, garbage, etc. It's cheaper than what I'm paying now. I have considered this before, and I've backed off. It isn't that I don't enjoy my house, I do.....but it's getting to be a pain to have to worry about the snow plowing in the winter and other things. Right now, I pay 2x's what I would if I purchased one of those Condos with the monthly HOA fee that includes everything but my telephone.

Okay....I'd better quit for now.
    Everyone, have a good day!!! Keep on Sewing!
    Stay SAFE and remember to wear a mask when going out!

cat mask.jpg
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Good Morning all,

Nice and cool this morning and is supposed to stay that way today and tomorrow. Starting Thursday will get hotter and then rain/thunderstorms on Friday. My granddaughter did pass her permit test but found out she couldn't get the permit as it has to be signed by a parent or guardian. I felt so bad for her. At least the test was done and she didn't seem too upset. Hopefully her dad won't have to work on Friday and can take her in to the local license bureau.

I was in a funk yesterday after getting back from taking Makayla home. Tired and didn't feel like doing anything, so I didn't. Today I've gotten groceries and helped my some with some paperwork. Think I'll do the laundry today too. I probably should clean the floors but I'll wait until I'm not walking through the rooms. I've been thinking about doing some baking, probably a cookie of some sort. Not sure I should since I'm trying to keep sweets to a minimum and I already have ice cream treats in the freezer. Probably better to leave the baking to this fall.

Off to get some work done, have a great day.
      Carlie

Comment

I try very hard to stay out of the kitchen, pretty good at succeeding, lol. I used to enjoy cooking until I did a course of Weight Watchers and leaned everything good is not good for you, now I still cook some but feel guilty about eating.😕
        I did a bit more stitch in the ditch on a sandwich, only have one more row before I have to decide about appliques, today should be the decision. First there are linens to change and wash to do.
        We got quite a bit of rain yesterday so nothing to do outside today. Before the rain we were on our porch watching a windstorm whip the trees around. I was glad the neighborhood HOA had some dead pines cut down recently or they would probably have fallen it was that fierce but fascinating to watch.

Comment

Hello Ladies ...haven't been on in a while, been busy with this and that, daily house chores, extra house chores, reno on the camper and stitching (cross stitch mostly). I've popped in a few times, read a few posts and then popped back out. Life has just been..well, due to all the 'crap' going on in the world, I just really took a break from electronics of any sort for a bit..it's depressing, so..I avoided it. Am again disappointed that the retreats for the year have been cancelled, but totally understand (my first retreat will have to wait till next year!) and am excited for the new 'reopening' in 21..that will be cool and I will certainly have my camper finished and on the road by then..I will stop by for sure!
          I hope everyone has a great week...ciao!

Sage, crone of cancellations and campers
          😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

Sage ~ Good to see you back. I've been wondering how you are. Yes, the news is depressing. I sometimes wonder if we will ever see "normal" again. So many people's plans have been altered or cancelled due to C-19. For the life of me, I can't understand all this desecration & tearing down of statues & memorials. Both northerners & the Confederates are part of our history. Now a entire neighborhood in the Denver Metro area wants to change its name. It was named after the old airport which was named Stapleton. Now they want to change it because apparently at one time he was a member of the KKK.

Comment

• Monique
              Monique commented
              Editing a comment
              Joy not to start anything here but MY opinion is that things are getting out of hand.

We're still unpacking. Maybe I should say *I'm* still unpacking. My husband has unpacked everything he can. I need to order some IKEA bookcases and shelving, then he could unpack about a dozen boxes that are waiting for shelves! I'm kind of paralyzed with the what-do-I-do-next syndrome. I need to just open a box and start emptying it, but I just can't bring myself to make the mess that will be necessary. I hate the boxes still being around, but I also can't face the temporarily increased mess that I'd see. Please, someone tell me to just empty one box today! Maybe I'd listen to you!

I'm unable to quilt due to lack of space (until I unpack!). So I've been crocheting quite a bit. I'm working on a baby blanket for grandbaby #8. I'm told he's a boy, so this blanket is shades of blue and purple. If he turns out to be a she, I'll crochet on a pink border!

It feels good to be doing something creative, even if it's not quilting.

Blessings to all!
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Monique
              Monique commented
              Editing a comment
              UNPACK one box a day, there.

• JCY
              JCY commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Take your time, just do what you can, when you can, & eventually it will get done & the boxes will be gone.
          Working...
          X