This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours 🐦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Wild and Wonderful World of Ours 🐦

Introducing.......The Superb Bird of Paradise....ain’t he ......superb! Sorry couldn’t resist!

4CB88D70-9C77-4068-9BCA-C37D83E7BF15.jpeg

The superb bird-of-paradise is small, about 26 cm (about 10”) long. It is the only member in the genus Lophorina. The male is a black bird-of-paradise with a shining green crown, blue-green breast shield and a long velvety black erectile cape covering his back. The female is a reddish-brown bird with brownish barred buff below.

CFE7D3B4-6612-4CF3-B1E8-DE5688DFAC25.jpeg

The superb bird-of-paradise lives in the rainforests of New Guinea. They mainly feed on fruits and arthropods.

The species has an unusually low population of females, and competition amongst males for mates is intensely fierce. This has led the species to have one of the most bizarre and elaborate courtship displays in the avian world.

50151ECF-EA4C-42D0-A7F6-1D481713DC94.jpeg

The male is polygamous and performs a song and dance for to gain the interest of the female. He starts by singing loud and rapid notes, then he starts to hop around in front of the female making a tapping or clicking sound. Then, he uses his folded black cape and blue-green breast shield to spring upward and spreads widely around its head, making him a dancing ellipse-shaped creature.

D17F2E8B-DA6F-4588-B682-AA8BD6A8EB73.jpeg

Most of the females will reject 15 to 20 suitors before giving one consent!
    πŸ’« Star lover

Discerning females!! Thank Anita.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Star Lover....thank you for posting this! It's very interesting and the bird is gorgeous!

Years ago, our youngest and I were watching TV at my mom's house, and there was a bird that had to build a nest for the female bird. This bird make this gorgeous nest that looked like a ball. I can't remember how long it took the male to construct that nest (it was round too....resembled a hornets nest (due to the shape) but it was made of brown twigs, etc.
      Anyway, this bird male bird spent HOURS constructing that nest. When he finished the nest, he stands next to it, standing tall and proud. The female bird comes over to the nest, looks at it, tilting her head from side to side, she walks around the nest....and then goes to the top of the nest that is somehow fastened to a branch.....and with one SWIFT snap of her beak, she took the twigs that were fastened to the branch and QUICKLY tore the nest so that it would FALL to the ground!!!
      I've never forgotten that little clip of that female bird and how dejected the male was after he spend a great deal of time building that nest just so, and she didn't LIKE it!!! LOL!
      I wish I could remember the type of birds they were, but I can't. I just remember being mortified how quickly that female destroyed all that hard work!
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Sugar, Could it have been the Baya Weaver?

3592E569-BE2C-4A7B-AA1B-84E8C8E0E27D.jpeg
        πŸ’« Star lover

Comment

I have never seen a more unusual bird! Thanks!

Is the human race the only species where the female has to be pretty in order to attract a mate?
          Vonnie

Comment

It could have been......I don't honestly remember the color of the bird....just the type of nest (in the photo you posted). I was just so shocked that the female bird decided that she didn't like the nest, it was so funny! My kids were young and home schooled. I had asked if I could turn on the TV to that channel because I had put that in my lesson plans for the day......Mom agreed (I think she missed her one and only Soap Opera that day LOL!)
            We home-schooled until 1992 when my dad was diagnosed with cancer. Due to the fact I am a nurse, Daddy was pretty firm he didn't want Hospice in the house, etc. My parents lived 1.5 miles from my home (we had just moved the year prior). With my husband having medical issues & my dad being diagnosed it really added WAY too much to my plate. We homeschooled not because we didn't like the area schools, after all we had moved into the district I had went to my entire life. So, we enrolled the kids in the local schools. The kids liked the homeschooling and they enjoyed the public schools as well.

Thanks so much for asking.
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
            X