Seattle Autonomous Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seattle Autonomous Zone

I just wanted to ask a question for those that know. I've ben watching the news but didn't see my query. Aren't there people that live on those blocks? Surely not everyone is happy about this. I get the whole vibe and reason, but I don't think I'd want to live with that out my front door full time. Or is it a business district?
    🌺 Lorie

Yes there are people who live there, and yes there are businesses who are trying to stay open there. It's bad. Unless you talk to one of the "occupiers". Or the Mayor. And then it's just a Summer of Love. But, this is Seattle. People will follow this just to be hip.
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Comment

• auntiemern
      auntiemern commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering how close you or Josh were to this? Been praying for all of you and for your safety.

Don't get me started....
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Well that gave me my answer. I feel bad for the people that have to put up with this. If you remember a few years back some people wanted to build a little settlement/commune type thing across the street from me (not directly, but can be seen from here) It was a post on Facebook inviting people to come join and build it. I put letters in peoples mail boxes warning the neighborhood. It wasn't as massive as Seattle, but it's an invasion none the less.
      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• bubba
        bubba commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure this is more extreme than that. It covers a six block area. They have shut down a police precinct. They have vandalized/grafitti'd property. The other night, one of the leaders gave a speech and wanted every white person present give $10 cash to a black person. They have set up a 'camp' and expect to be allowed to live by whatever rules they want. There are portapotties set up, along with their form of cafes and restaurants on the streets. People are selling clothing.

The mayor, who I believe to be a moron, sees nothing wrong with this. She actually said 'we have festivals all the time time. This is like a summer of love'. No, this is a summer of stupidity and moronic behavior and I hope to God you won't be reelected. Once you and the chief showed up, things started going downhill in Seattle and things need to drastically change for the city to recover.

If a shooting or other serious crime takes place, police will go in. If it is just and assault, theft, etc...the victims have to come to the border of the area to speak to the police.

Believe me, if I lived in Seattle, I would do whatever I could to get rid of this mayor and several of the city board. They have no business being there.

So far we haven't had any issues as far as rioting here where I live. I live about 90 mins from Grand Rapids, Detroit and Kalamazoo.....and about 45 minutes from the state capital of Lansing. We've had a couple of murders this month, but they didn't have anything to do with what's going on. People here are basically doing what has been asked of them. There are more and more people that seem to be disregarding wearing masks. I carry masks with me and offer them to people and when I went out Friday to Jo-Ann's I offered Masks to a mom and her 5 kids and she refused. She wasn't unpleasant, but it does make you wonder WHY a parent wouldn't have their kids and themselves wearing masks as a precaution???

I guess the biggest issue is the house at the end of our street, just as you come turn onto our street. There's about 10 young 20'ish people living in the house and every weekend they run their motorcycles up and down the street. (we live on a dead-end street). It get old really fast. I was hoping that the young kid that is buying the house from his parents would maybe put the house up for sale OR his parents would move back. I really probably shouldn't complain as that is the only thing those young kids do that is irritating....but it does get old.
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        I had an obnoxious next door neighbor. Years and years of screaming, swearing, barking, and police calls. It was so peaceful when they moved!

We didn't go into Seattle before all of this, unless I was taking my sister in for her cancer treatments. The traffic is crazy, parking is either non-existent or very expensive. Now this is adding an extra layer of traffic nightmare.

I am not sure which side of the story is the truth. Unless we all pack up and go down for a visit, we may never know 100%. There are reasons for both sides to push their views.
      Some first hand accounts are that everything is fairly well organized, and getting better. Yes, people are allowed to go to the open mic and say what they feel, whether it's popular or not. (One of my childhood friends went for a visit, and this is what she saw.)
      The unrest/lawlessness has been captured on camera and can't be denied either.
      I can't imagine that the residents are thrilled about the situation. I'm pretty sure it hasn't helped their property values any.
      We still aren't headed to Seattle anytime soon.
      I guess we will see where this social experiment ends up.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Just following the logic here: If the citizens of CHAZ commandeered the land from Seattle citizens who owned it, do the CHAZ-ites need to pay the Seattle-ites reparations?
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• EnumclawGramma
          EnumclawGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          I have to wonder if they're a nation unto themselves then why are we, the taxpayers providing them with cell service, electricity, water, sani cans etc etc etc...

• auntiemern
          auntiemern commented
          Editing a comment
          They should also have to pay import and export taxes for anything going in or coming out. They should also have to provide passports to re-enter America, or to go to the zone. They should have their own water and electric, or have to pay to use those from Seattle...the residents of Seattle to pay to use them. Cell towers within the US borders should also not provide that service to them. If they want to be separate...then they should be completely.

• GuitarGramma
          GuitarGramma commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. We all are thinking alike on this!

I lived through the Summer of Love back in the Sixties. It never was as idealistic as the participants claimed. It always starts about peace & love & ends up with drugs, mayhem & disorder. Now I live in a very small town south of Portland OR. So few people that it is a quiet peaceful place. I thought that Portland had a lunatic fringe but Seattle seems to have taken it to a whole new level. It seems the more people you cram together in a space the stupider they behave. And the funniest thing is they can’t see how idiotic their actions seem to others. What good is handing out cash? How is that supposed to solve any of the huge problems in our world today?
        I will be interested to see how this all plays out.
        May the road rise up to meet you...
        May the wind be always at your back...
        May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
        Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

• bubba
          bubba commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to think that about Portland as well. Now I think that sadly Seattle is ahead.

• auntiemern
          auntiemern commented
          Editing a comment
          So thankful at times like this, that I live in a very rural area in a very conservative county, away from all the lunacy. This would NOT happen in my county...js

I haven't heard the term "Lunatic Fringe" for quite some time. I remember reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Laura was invited to a party and asked permission to cut her hair, she wanted bangs like her friend Mary Power. Here's a little snippet of this story :
        (Laura has been invited to a party at Ben Woodworth's home....who was a classmate. Ben's father ran the train depot in DeSmet, South Dakota.)
        Laura is granted permission to attend, along with Mary Power, but Minnie, Ida and Nellie cannot attend because it costs a dime. When the day finally arrives, Laura gets ready and is dissatisfied with her appearance. She asks Ma if she can cut bangs like Mary Power’s.
        Ma is reluctant, calling Mary’s hairstyle a “lunatic fringe.”

The illustration shows Laura snipping away at her bangs, and they seem pretty standard. At last, Laura turns to show Ma the finished product:

“It looks quite nice,” Ma admitted. “Still, I liked it better before it was cut.”

Thanks for the memories.....I loved reading (still do) as a child. I wore out 2 hardcover sets of Laura's books. I loved Nancy Drew, The Trixie Belden Books, and The Donna Parker books too. I could list several other books I loved reading as a child, LOL!
        I remember my older sister telling me I spent WAY too much time reading as a teenager...and I was going to lead a very boring life!!!

Ha! Showed her......more than once she said to me "I wished I could find a man like Terry" (my hubby that passed in 2002). My older sister was just thrilled and amazed at how wonderful of a husband & father Terry was, and of course, I have to agree with her!

(This was our 2nd Christmas Card photo. I've had this on as my avatar here on MSQC ever since I joined the forum.)
        I have more photos and need to spend some time downloading them to my phone!
        Attached Files
        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Working...
        X