It's happening...I'm moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's happening...I'm moving

So, hubby and I bought a house. In Guys, Tennessee. If anyone can tell me anything about the area I'd be grateful.

Wow I just looked that up. Pop 475 that sure qualifies as a small town! Looks to be halfway between Memphis and Nashville. A friend of mine moved to Memphis two years ago and absolutely loves it. I used to live in Nashville, it was a great town with lots to do, great restaurants and live music everywhere (hope you like country) but traffic was horrible and it gets really hot and humid so hopefully you have AC (we did not so it was kind of insufferable at times).The people were really friendly. Good luck with your move. Where are you relocating from?

Comment

• LauraP
      LauraP commented
      Editing a comment
      the reason the population is so low is because they only allow guys. Have to go to the next town to find the gals

Cogratulations! Are you moving to be closer to kids/grand-kids ?

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
      Wow I just looked that up. Pop 475 that sure qualifies as a small town! Looks to be halfway between Memphis and Nashville. A friend of mine moved to Memphis two years ago and absolutely loves it. I used to live in Nashville, it was a great town with lots to do, great restaurants and live music everywhere (hope you like country) but traffic was horrible and it gets really hot and humid so hopefully you have AC (we did not so it was kind of insufferable at times).The people were really friendly. Good luck with your move. Where are you relocating from?
      Yes, tiny! It will be a shock for me. We currently live in Virginia. Moving from NY originally, then VA, now TN. Getting progressively warmer. We will have AC (and a pool!) and there are ceiling fans in almost every room. I almost fell over at that one. So many fans. How hot is is going to get?!

I'm not so keen on country music but I suspect I'll get used to it. I'm also looking forward to visiting both Memphis and Nashville.

Comment

• Hulamoon
        Hulamoon commented
        Editing a comment
        Hawaii is like that too with the ceiling fans. Since we have a lot of winds more people opt for that instead of air conditioning. So expensive to run those over here.

• Simply Quilting
        Simply Quilting commented
        Editing a comment
        The wonderful things about ceiling fans is you can run them to pull the air in or around and not have to run the AC.

Originally posted by Patricia Drew View Post
      Cogratulations! Are you moving to be closer to kids/grand-kids ?

No. Husband wants to retire in a few years and wanted something cheaper than VA. And hopefully no snow. My one regret for leaving is that our son is staying behind. He has his own life here - college boy - and has no desire to move back in with his folks when he's done.

Comment

• Patricia Drew
        Patricia Drew commented
        Editing a comment
        Gee, I just hope you had something to say in this decision ...

I think you will like Tennessee. The natives (me included) are pretty friendly after they find out which football team you support. TN Vols of course! We lived in Memphis for 23 years, then moved east. Now we are 15 miles from Knoxville and 30 from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. It is a beautiful state. Lots of farming where you are. Lots of tourists where we are. 4 beautiful seasons, hot and humid in summer, not too cold in winter, very little snow but stay home when it snows. We have no clue how to drive in the stuff! The Smokies are gorgeous, like Shenandoah, hiking and camping there. Lots of TVA lakes and fishing and boating. I will quit before you think I'm part of the Chamber of Commerce! I'm not! Just lived in TN since 1969 and love it. I'm from GA many, many years ago.

Comment

• geegeequilts
        geegeequilts commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, Navy Wife, where did you live in Georgia? I was born & raised a Georgia girl. Gina

• Mimi_Howard
        Mimi_Howard commented
        Editing a comment
        My roots are Tenn and my dad was a die hard Vols fan (actually graduate of UT), anyway one year they played against USC and doctor my daughter was working for at the time had season tickets and couldn't use them. He let her and my dad use them. There they sat in the middle of all those USC fans with his head to toe Tenn gear on, even his tennis shoes were UT shoes. She herself is graduate of USC so she was in USC colors. What fun they had!

• Navy Wife
        Navy Wife commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry geegeequilts. I have been distracted by a SIL with terminal cancer. I am from Thomasville in the southwestern corner of GA. Just north of Tallahassee. My mother's family all lived in Atlanta, and there were lots of them! My dad's mother lived near Athens.

Congratulations! When we decided to move from Calif, it was between Idaho and Tennesee...we decided on Idaho for personal reasons but we absolutely love Tenn....you will, too. The countryside is gorgeous, the people lovely, and the Quilt shops aplenty. And, you'll love having ceiling fans in every room.... You will acclimate to the humidity after one season and moving to a small town is awesome. We moved from a city of over 200,000 to a farm town of 6,500 and I Learned, especially through this virus crap, what a neighbor truly is. Enjoy your journey. Your new home sounds beautiful! So exciting!
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I hope you enjoy Tennessee. I moved here over 45 years ago. The weather can get quite warm and humid. But wait a few days and it will change. Winters are easy. When we do get snow it is usually gone in a day.

Comment

I know nothing about Guys, TN other than what I just learned in browsing the web. Very small town. Real estate definitely is cheaper there. It sounds like you've already bought a house. I took a look at Zillow. How far will you have to drive for decent shopping, medical/dental care, hospital, etc.? My bro. & wife moved to the Pigeon Forge area from Mich. many years ago. They loved the area & people. My bro. loved to hike in Smoky Mtn. Nat'l Park. They're both now deceased, but my niece lives in Sevierville. Someone on this forum lives in Knoxville. You'll definitely need to deal with heat & humidity. Keep us posted on your transition. How soon are you moving?
          Last edited by JCY; June 13, 2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

We too are transplants to Tennessee. We came here for more 'summer' & less 'winter'. Love it but did get surprised with all the humidity. Since all places have ac its bearable. Also great to sit & look at green growing things when it is snowing up north!!! Do stay alert for tornados & straight line winds. Welcome to the south.
            sewverybusy

Comment

I have never lived in Tennessee but have visited there many times. Another bonus for Tennessee is they have no state income tax on wages/income. The state sales tax is 7% and if I am not mistaken the tax structure is very favorable to retirees.....if you are at or near that "life landmark". As a lifelong Southern Girl, I hope you will love the south, Welcome!

Comment

Congrats, Pandabear! I envy you. I too haven't lived in Tennessee, but have always wanted to. And, I do miss living in the southern part of the country. Hubby and I have been talking about moving south quite severely since the last winter in Vermont more than we wanted. And, we would love to move somewhere cheaper as well. The last time we loved from southern Missouri to Vermont in 2017; we convinced to get a refreshed start on life by the oldest child. Telling my hubby and I that the place she lived in Vermont was so wonderful. That was a lie. We have come to find out in 2.5 years, that we do NOT fit here and everything that we were told wasn't from a realistic view. I love would to move back to Arkansas and I would do it in a heartbeat!
                Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Moving is the pits!! I have accumulated too much stuff and the movers are going to faint when the see my fabric stash. And sewing machine collection.

I have to be honest, I'm not going to be prepared for the humidity if it's worse than Virginia. I'm at an age where hot flashes are the norm now. I'm going to be living under a ceiling fan for all eternity. Hubby and I are looking forward to a slower pace than Fredericksurg. So many people live here and work in DC so prices are skyrocketing and traffic is terrible. We want more land (getting it!!) and less people (getting that too!). I'm looking forward to seeking out new quilt shops. The two in my area have closed and I miss them. I know we will have to travel a bit for shopping and the like. If my research is correct the closest place to shop will be Corinth MS. We are so used to having everything within a 5 to 10 minute drive that anything more will be something else. Still, worth it for less traffic (I hope).

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Hulamoon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When it's really hot and humid I keep some wet wash clothes in the fridge. You can cool off really fast with them. After coming from So Calif, which is actually more like a dessert, the humidity was really hard to get used to here. But your body adapts. like when it's sixty degrees, that's cold! lol
                  Working...
                  X