No announcement yet.

My Gas Range Died......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have a Maytag dishwasher that we just got last fall which is stainless steel inside. I have been really happy with it.

Comment

I just built a house and they put Whirlpool appliances in. Although I have never had a gas range, I chose to get one for this house. I like it but am trying to learn how to use it (and use and take care of cast iron pans). There is quite a learning curve . . . for me at least. The dishwasher is a different story. I do not like it at all. The basket for utensils in on the door. I have to be careful that the knives are not in either of the end places because they can get stuck in the door when I close it. There are little slots in the doors of this basket to put the spoons, forks, etc. in so they don't move around; however, the ends of my silverware are too large and won't fit. The biggest problem is just on a regular wash/dry cycle, it runs 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I usually run it in the evenings and if I forget and don't prop the door open, everything inside remains wet. It does not dry very well at all. There are several other problems with this dishwasher, but would make this too long. I keep thinking I would like to have another one but I really can't justify it right now. This one is not quite 6 months old.

Nancy

Comment

• redcaboose1717
        redcaboose1717 commented
        Editing a comment
        BethB....thanks for your suggestions about appliances.
        My mom and grandmothers all used Cast Iron frying pans. I love them and won't use anything else. I have 2 that are antiques....and I use them every day! One is an 8"(inch) skillet and the other is a 10" inch skillet.

The best way to clean cast iron is to wash them with dish soap and water. After washing put the cast iron pan(s)/skillet on the stove and put a heaping teaspoon of any kind of cooking oil. Allow the pan to get hot (really warm to the touch). REMOVE from heat.
        Using a double paper towel, spread the cooking oil ALL over the inside of the pans. This is what is called seasoning. I put a paper towel in the clean/oiled pan and store the other skillet inside the larger one.

Also, some people don't use cooking oil to "season" cast iron.....they heat up the cast iron pan, pour about a half-to full teaspoon of regular salt into the pan....and using a double paper towel, rub the salt into the pan vigorously. toss the salt out of the pan after giving the pan a good rubbing with the salt. Put away in your cupboard.

Both of these methods have been the same method my ancestors used for years prior to the "pan seasonings" you see for sale online for "Cast Iron" pans. I used oil for the most part. Sometimes I'll use salt, but rarely.

I also purchase my Cast Iron from Lodge Cast Iron. They (to my knowledge) are the only company that makes Cast Iron cookware in the United States. I try VERY hard to purchase everything I can in the U.S.A.

My cooktop and oven are separate from each other, but they are both Jennair. The cooktop is gas, the oven is not.

The most important thing to me when we were looking at dishwashers was the quietness of it. The one I bought at the time was the top rated, and to this day I still can barely hear it. If I were to buy another, I'd choose it the same way.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Another vote for a Bosch dishwasher. It's very quiet - I've had to check if it was running numerous times! Mine has a light that shines toward the floor when it is operating. The third rack is handy for large utensils and smaller items. I often use the short cycle that lasts 90 minutes and my dishes have always come out clean.

For the gas range, I have a Samsung. I don't know if they have a more basic model, mine has quite a few 'bells and whistles' that I enjoy. It has five burners, the centre one is oval and comes with a cast iron griddle that reverses to a grill. It also came with a wok grate that is placed on top of the burner to accommodate the round bottom of a wok. The oven is convection so came with three racks, one of which has a half portion that can be removed if you are using a taller pan.
        Maria

Comment

Once again, my MSQC forum family has come through again!!!
          Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. You are a big help. I am going to start looking in earnest now that I have received so many awesome suggestions! If there is anything I dislike more than re-decorating a room, (especially a kitchen) I don't have any idea what it is. Re-doing a kitchen is time consuming and if you make a mistake, you basically have to live with said mistake for quite a few years to come!

Again everyone.....thanks so much.....you're all so sweet and kind.
          OIPSink.jpg
          Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
          http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I replaced my electric wall oven two years ago after the old one (19 years old) malfunctioned and went into the self cleaning cycle all by itself, thank goodness I was home! The repairman said in 30 yrs in the business that was only the second time he had seen that. I had two repairs in the last year (before replacing it) both times heating element would not go on after it completed the self cleaning function. The repairman said you should never use the self cleaning, that it raises the oven temp so high it burns out the coils and is the #1 repair that he sees. You might not be able to find an oven without that feature but you could just choose not to use it. I wipe my oven out with hot soapy water every few days and it still looks brand new. I had to buy an Amana brand wall oven because it was the only one still made that is 27" wide, the standard now is 30" and I didn't want to have to hire a contractor to cut into the cabinets and counter tops to make a bigger one fit.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
              redcaboose1717 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks....I have been told that by other gals (about the self-cleaning ovens) and it really made me nervous to hear those gals say that they'd either had issues with the self-cleaning ovens or they just didn't trust them. One friend had a home fire that was traced back to the self-cleaning oven(this was YEARS ago, those ovens hadn't been out too long at the time) and it's always stuck with me about that fire. She and her husband were devastated due to the fire destroying a lot of their home. They lost photos, keep sakes, etc.(Thank goodness I had a lot of duplicate photos of our families (we've always been quite close) and was able to re-construct a lot of the photos.(We met when my 3rd child/2nd son & her 2nd son were born hours apart. We didn't start becoming close until we discovered we were pregnant again, 6 yrs later....her daughter is 18 days older than our youngest son. Her daughter and our son were very close growing up....they attended pre-school and church VBS together. (Even though we are of different faiths, the kids loved to go to each other's church etc.
              After putting all those photos together for that friend....I was always worried we'd have a fire. Thank God that's never happened!

Thanks to all of you that have commented. I have decided to re-do the entire kitchen. The last time anything was done in the house was in 1999....We went through the entire house with new carpets, completely re-did the kitchen, etc. I have loved the kitchen soo much. Terry loved to wallpaper, and I have always had a wallpapered kitchen and one of the full-baths in the house. I have resisted re-doing the house due to losing the memories. I know that's silly, but it's still a comfort to me to be able to look at the kitchen from where I sit in my living room and remember all the things Terry did re-doing that kitchen.
            I know he wouldn't care if I re-did the house...in fact he'd probably shake his head at me and say "What took you so long Darlin'?" LOL.....I think you resist change when your loved one dies.....(well maybe most people do?).

I started looking at the Ranges, and Carlie....I think that's the stove I'm going to go with. I've went back and forth looking at other ranges and I don't want anything fancy with a lot of bells and whistles, same with the Dishwasher. I've had a couple of dishwashers with all kinds of cycles and never used them. I honestly can say that my appliances just WEAR OUT....I've never had to have a repair man come to the house ever. Maybe it's because my dad used to say that you needed to keep the appliances clean, etc. He & my mom used to drag the fridge out from the wall and clean the back (with a vacuum) and I always used to run vinegar in a wash cycle ( 4 cups of vinegar) years ago, before Tide came out with those packet to use to clean your washer, etc.

Anyway....thanks so much everyone!!! Your comments are VERY MUCH appreciated!
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Can't help you with the stove as mine is electric. I have a KitchenAid dishwasher that I love. It was the top of their line when I purchased it, has the three racks, top rack is a split removable one and each side is removable if you have larger items in the middle rack, bottom rack has areas where you can fold down the plate holders for larger items. Dishwasher is so quiet I have to look and see if the light is on if it's running.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                redcaboose1717 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Cathy! I'm still deciding on the dishwasher.....
                AS far as quiet things.....I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid (runs on gas & electric).car. I love the car, it's my 2nd Hybrid, and WOW do I save money on gas! The only problem I've found with the Hybrid cars/SUV's is that they are really quiet. I've had to train myself to wait until a little message comes up on the dashboard that say "Thanks For Driving A Hybrid". I take that as my cue that I have TURNED the car off (I don't have a key either, it's a push button starter.....which adds to the idea of forgetfulness)

I have a friend that has a KitchenAid Dishwasher that says the same thing about the dishwasher being really quiet. I normally run my dishwasher at night about an hour prior to bedtime, so a quiet dishwasher would be a great thing to have!
            Working...
            X