No announcement yet.

Hello Thursday

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello Thursday

    Good friends. I think today will be a nice day. Hubby is going golfing today with a friend. I have to work. But my friend Dougie is taking me to work and will pick me up when I am done. We only have one vehicle.

    I accepted more work, 2 Monday-Tuesdays coming in the next couple of weeks. Might as well do as much as I can while I can. I received a very unexpected parcel yesterday. My order from Hancocks finally arrived. It wasn't scanned at some point as it came from Toronto directly to Shawville. I wonder how many more parcels will come that way. Customers are getting very frustrated waiting for their parcels.

    I did a load of wash and hung it out last evening. Should be dry when I get home. I will do the same again later today.

    Other than that, not much happening around here. We are still at 0 cases of the virus.

    Have a great day everyone.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

    Good morning!

    Today is muggy, starting off pleasantly cool with a predicted high around 80. There is rain in the forecast but it is supposed stay mostly south.

    The yard guy came out on Tuesday and mowed both the front and the back yards. He had let an employee go for not doing a good job and (supposedly) had no idea my yard (and Mom's) had been skipped last week. He apologized 16 ways from Sunday and is not going to charge us for the month of May. Maybe I'm being too picky, but he must have raised the wheels to do the front yard. It looks much improved but is still a little long -- especially when compared to the neighbor's yard, which was just cut.

    I started quilting my UFO yesterday. I was waffling between two designs and finally went with door #3. I had my doubts about the thread I chose but so far, so good. I need to find a table or something to put in front of the machine to hold the excess quilt while it is being stitched. Currently, I just stand there and hold the quilt. Good thing the design only takes a couple of minutes to stitch!

    Work will start notifying employees of layoff next week. Then the employee has to decide if they are going to take the layoff or the voluntary separation package. I should know soon if my position is on the list. I don't think it is, but you never know.

    Time to finish my tea and log in to work. Have a wonderful day!


    • JCY
      JCY commented
      Editing a comment
      An ironing board works well to hold the excess quilt sandwich. I use one along side my extension table for my DSM. The height is adjustable to any surface.

    • CraftyJnet
      CraftyJnet commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a stressful time at work. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

    • toggpine
      toggpine commented
      Editing a comment
      If the lawn was left unmowed for several weeks, it is better for it to be cut a bit taller. Then the next cut can go back to normal. If you butch it back, it can shock and have regrowth problems.
      If it doesn't go back to the regular length on the next mow, then I'd say something.

      Here is to hoping your position is secure!

    Good Morning, Everyone ~ Yest. I sort of took it easy. One job I completed was to sew the edges of the pocket in my purse where I keep my keys. A few days ago my car keys were missing. I searched all my jacket pockets, etc. Couldn't find them, so I used the extra set when I ran my errands. Then later in the day, all the keys I keep in that pocket were missing! I dug around in there & could feel my keys in the bottom of my purse. I discovered a small hole in the seam through which the keys had escaped. I had to dig around to find all the keys & pull them out of that very small opening. I discovered the stitching on the seams was not very close together, so I hand sewed all around 3 sides. Should be okay now.

    I've started soaking my finger again -- the one that had the splinter. I finished the 7 days of antibiotic 2 days ago. Now it's getting tender again. I suspect there is a tiny splinter left in there, but I have no way to get it out. I can't see anything visible.

    Our high temp. yest. was 97 deg. No break in the high temps. till next week. The mowers came yest. afternoon. I also had them spray the weeds in one area.

    Today I plan to leave right after breakfast for groceries. I'll take DH's car; it hasn't been getting driven enough lately, so I'll take it out on the hwy. for some exercise.


      Good Morning All!

      Yesterday was pretty uneventful. My backing fabric from JoAnn's showed up. I don't get why they just didn't leave it on the bolt. It would have been so much easier to store! I'll be able to start backing some of the uglies. Today, the fabric for my compass rose will be here. Tomorrow, the fat quarter shop package will arrive. Mike picked fabric for his portfolio cover. I guess I'll have something different to work on for a bit.

      Gabby got up early, 5:30 went out and came back in. I went back to bed and slept until Mike left. Good thing she went out early, it's raining now. She's back sleeping in the corner of the bedroom.

      Jim called in the afternoon. He and Morgan wanted to go look at campers without the kids. So the kids stayed here for about an hour while they shopped.

      Time to get busy. Have a great day.
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou


        Good morning. Nice and sunny this morning. Yesterday was nice, then rainy, then nice, then stormy in the late evening. During one of the nice periods we headed out to get a few more plants that we needed, then headed home to get them into the ground before the first batch of rain arrived. We still need to find some kirby pickle and banana pepper plants. Looks like we may need to get them online.

        No sewing room time yesterday but I did work on a Farmer's Wife block last evening. I think I might get back to putting the borders and then the binding onto the log cabin quilt. That came to a halt back in March.

        I woke this morning to not only a bright, sunshine filled room but also a very sweet smelling room. The lilac is blooming.

        Have a good day all. Stay safe. Stay healthy.
        Ginny B


        • CarlieBlilie
          CarlieBlilie commented
          Editing a comment
          We have lilac's around us, my sister's back yard in our front and the neighbor's to the back. We also have a Canada Gem lilac tree. We have had it now for 3 years I think and we finally got 1 bloom. Last year we had a lot of rain and I read that can keep them from blooming. We also planted 2 new dwarf lilac bushes. Hoping they grow like mad this year so that we have a bunch of blossums. Lilac is one of my favorite smells in the spring.

        I love lilacs! We have white ones but their flowers are spent, they must be an early variety. When the bedroom windows are open you can smell them in the house. I always clip some and bring them in. My husband has managed to get three new bushes from clippings from the original bush and one bloomed this year. I can't tell you how many he tried and they failed so he was thrilled when three finally made it.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

        Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes![email protected]/


          Good Morning,

          Yesterday did not turn out as nice as I thought it was going to be. Never got a chance to open the house as temps were in the high 80's and dewpoints did not stay down. House is open this morning as I got up. Dave is always up before me. Comes to bed about an hour after I go to bed and usually up an hour before. He seems to get by with a lot less sleep but he does do what my grandpa did all the time and takes little cat naps here and there through the day.

          We went to the pet store and bought a glass top for the 75 gal aquarium yesterday so all we need now is some reef salt which has been ordered. Dave is working on the cabinet and he thinks it should be done within a week. Not sure when the salt will get here but I'm thinking we will be doing some transfer of the 55 gal to the new tank probably this weekend. That will also include rearranging the patio furniture.

          I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't even get to laundry so that will need to be done today and that means I will be up and down the stairs a number of times (both the basement stairs and the 2nd floor). I have been having trouble with knee pain in the last week so and it's worse going up and down stairs. I am doing the exercises that I learned from PT again so I'm hoping that helps with the pain.

          Design wall has yet to be completed. I may get to that today, if not it will probably have to wait until next week if we end up doing the fish transfer.

          Have a great day everyone!


            Good Morning All. My life is still so much in the hurry and wait.... wait and hurry up.. Probate courts still not open for normal business, 3 months now and still not able to file the papers for my fathers estate. My honey (boyfriend) that lives with me has now reached a point for care that is out of my comfort zone so today a call will be made for a referral for hospice. I hope we will be able to select the agency I used with my father, but not sure with his insurance. The only real lists I am making these days is my grocery list for my son to shop for us. The other list of stuff that needed to be done or I wanted to get done was so long it got to be overwhelming just looking at it all. So I just tackle what I can (or feel like doing) on a day by day effort. Some days not much get done and that is okay too!

            Hugs to all and please stay safe!


            • KPH
              KPH commented
              Editing a comment
              I know what you mean about hurry up and wait. I have no excuses, but I'm lacking motivation to get up and do anything today.

            • MSN
              MSN commented
              Editing a comment
              Mimi_Howard, do whatever feels right to you, and please take care of yourself. You are facing a lot of challenges and grieving in a brief period of time. Please know that your Forum friends are here if you need to vent.

            Good morning everyone! I haven't written here for a while but I do pop in every day to see how everyone is doing. I'm up early today with some jaw pain. Not much going on today. I'm going to rearrange the bookcase in our bedroom. Get all the DVD series together in order, purge some books, etc. My how small my life has become that this is something I am really looking forward to doing. Oh well. And I get to see my MIL for a few minutes. I'm dropping off a dvd for her called Tea with the Dames. I hope you all have a wonderful day.
            Last edited by CraftyJnet; June 4, 2020, 09:38 AM.



              Good morning. We had a bad storm role through yesterday afternoon. It was a storm called a Derecho. A lot of trees came down. Luckily our neighborhood did not lose power. 3 people died due to falling trees.
              Pluckily our vet finished our dog’s ear surgery before she lost power. I am continuing working on my blocks. It Is slow going. Not sure if it is the pattern or me.

              Have a a good day.


                Good morning everyone . . . Tuesday I was working at the polls all day. I left my house shortly after 5:30 a.m. and did not get home until close to
                10 p.m. I was the judge (substitute) as the regular judge did not want to be out with the COVID. It was a very long day so I did not do much yesterday except rest and catch up on a few little things . . . iPad games, reading . . . the easy stuff.

                Today I have stripped my bed and have the sheets in the washer. The lawn service (chosen by the HOA) was supposed to be here on Tuesday to mow. I noticed yesterday afternoon that they missed my back yard completely. I looked at the front and I don't think they got that either. I emailed the guy who is part of the HOA board last night but have not heard back from him. This is the 2nd time they have not mowed my back yard.

                I did go up to my old house yesterday. The new owner was up at the polls on Tuesday and she said there was mail for me that had been delivered. When I looked at it, there were 2 Christmas cards mailed Dec. 21, 2019, a packet of information from my accountant for taxes mailed in January, 2020, and a couple of other items which all should have been forwarded to me at my new house. I told the girl that if any more comes for me, to give it to the gal across the street and I would get it from her. Guess I will need to call the post office and let them know that they have not been forwarding my mail when it should have been.

                Just received a message from my LAQ that my T-shirt quilt is ready to pick up. I need to call her to set up a time to go pick it up. Can't wait to see it. It has been a long, long project --- not to sew, but to get it quilted.

                Have a great and safe day.



                  Happy Thursday everyone.
                  I finished folding all my quilts yesterday and put them all back in the closet/wardrobe. I am slightly embarrassed at how many there are😯, I might need to become just a topper due to lack of storage space or make some new friends that would truly appreciate a quilt gift.
                  I am still in a sad place due to all that is happening around the country. Respect is needed desperately.


                    Good early evening everyone,

                    I haven't found much time lately to check on the forum. For some reason, its get up and go -- do stuff. DH is washing his car, the pollen is really bad here. I washed the front doors and the benches on the porch -- covered in yellow pollen. I guess that's why I sneeze so much when I go outside. Today my daughter dropped off the 3 GKs for 3 hrs. She had an eye appt and had to get some work done, and her DH is also trying to get work done at home. With schooling in the morning and more home cooking, they are busy. The weather was nice so the kids played outside. I brought some of their favorite toys although Cassandra asked about the toy kitchen. I had to tell her I gave it away to some kids that didn't have one. She understood, but is possessive about her toys at grandma. As soon as they left, I had a video call with mom. Still technical issue, that they cannot see me. I downloaded an upgrade, hoping this will fix the problem. Mom is doing great -- she must be feeling better as she is complaining about the service (as if she was in a hotel) and the food. Back to normal,, as far as I can tell.

                    I also bit the bullet and dyed my hair this morning. I'm just not ready to let it go gray. I also took the scissors and looped off a good 2-3 inches. I had DH cut the back. Boy does that feel good. I feel human again. I had more energy. Weird, I didnt think my looks affected my mood, but I guess they do. What do you think?

                    I also got a call, the Amara will be delivered on a palette tomorrow. The LQS owner is busy this weekend installing another, so it will be done the following weekend. I cant wait.

                    I spent the past few day, going through bins and cutting up scraps of fabrics into usable sizes. Its amazing how much space that clear. Some of the fabrics were from the first year I started quilting.

                    Well, better start thinking about supper. Have a good evening.


                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.

                    Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

                    Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.


                    • KarenC
                      KarenC commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your hair looks great. A nice happy smile to welcome your Amara next week. (that also happens to be my DGD's name.)

                    • KPH
                      KPH commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks great! I know you're going to have fun with your new baby.

                      Next week, Thursday, I'll finally get my hair cut!

                    • Nwmnteacher
                      Nwmnteacher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your hair looks great!

                    Wow your hair looks great, sure wish I could cut my own. I typically spend way too much money having the stylist color my hair. Well, thanks to quarantine I colored my own hair for the first time several weeks ago, and you know what it turned out just fine. No more expensive coloring jobs at the salon for me—now I can spend the money I save on more FABRIC 😃😃 I’m not brave enough to try cutting my own hair and have an appointment at the salon next week-finally. It’s been nearly 6 months since I’ve had a haircut and I can’t wait 😊


                    • SuzanneOrleansOntario
                      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I know I'm saving lots, not getting my nails and hair done. Hair salons will probably be the last to open here. We are still in phase 1 or reopening, which does not include much. Mostly places like home and garden centers, and stores that have a separate street entrance, with limitations on # of clients and other restrictions. Many stores are still not reopening. Lots of online and curbside pickups. Landscape, fencing and outdoor work by contractors is allowed.