The Kitchen Sink is Fixed! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kitchen Sink is Fixed! :)

Ah, what a relief it is! Over the week end I was having 2nd thoughts about the plumbing co. from which we got the estimate of $6,650. & jack hammering a trench in our basement floor. I busted my butt over the past 3 days to sort, pack, clean, etc. in prep for a major disruption. So yest. I left a msg. with one drain outfit. Early this a.m. I left a msg. with another drain outfit (we used them a few yrs. ago for a rooter job). He called back at 8:20 and said he could have a guy here between 10-12 noon today! He came at 10:15. I wanted a camera diagnosis to see if there was a break in the line, but he said the camera couldn't be used if there was water in the drain. There was. So he began a long morning's work of snaking the drain multiple times over almost 3 hrs. He finally got the drain open! Yes! Everything seems to be working fine now. I'm not putting anything back under the sink or in the bsmt. until I'm sure everything is okay. Between the snake work the other plumber did on Wed. last week & today's hard work, the total cost came to $430., which is whole lot cheaper than that other estimate, & with no disruption to the bsmt. Thank you, Lord! And thanks to those who have been praying about our situation.

DH was lamenting all the hard work I did in the bsmt. moving everything, etc. He said you did all that work for nothing. I told him it's okay. Some of that stuff hasn't been moved for years for a good cleaning & it needed to be done. Before I move any furniture or pics back, I'll dust down the walls & vacuum real well. My cutting table needs a new cover anyway. I use a plastic table cloth that has a flannel backing; I turn flannel side up. It keeps the cutting board from shifting. Over time, so many scraps & plastic shoe boxes have collected on the other end of my 5 ft. cutting table, I had only a small area of the cutting space left to use! I'm hoping we can rid out some of those magazines DH had on the book shelves. They weigh a ton! Since his health has declined, he's had little energy & no enthusiasm for his model HO train layout. It sits idle, collecting dust. I wish I knew someone who could take it & love it. It's a 10 ft. x 10 ft. around the room, 3 level, layout. He invested years & considerable $ in it, but it was his hobby & a mental health outlet for him. It would be great to have the use of that room for other things.

The snake machine this a.m. splattered black sewer water on the kitchen floor, so I had to mop about half of the kitchen after he was done. That's okay; it needed doing anyway.

Anyway, that's my saga. I'm very thankful to have a functioning kitchen sink now. DH wasn't displaced from his bed or BR, & now he can get back to his usual daily routine. Hopefully his anxiety will settle down, at least a little bit.

Joy, I'm thrilled for you. It must be plumbing season, between my issues here, Nana and Nandy had to have a new hot water heater this weekend, Jim's inlaws had a pipe burst Thursday, then Jim's issues putting in the new vanity in the kids bathroom. It's been a booming business.

I'm happy, you stuck to your gut and got a second opinion!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Fantastic resolution.

Comment

That's great news!!! Guys love trains! I found an old Lego electric train at my moms, she gave it to me. My bf was over the moon when he saw it. Total alpha Male, it was cute since he's always so tough!

Comment

So happy you had such a good outcome! It's always good to know a good plumber and a good mechanic! :-)

Comment

oh, I can only imagine the relief you must feel! Good attitude too about moving your things around. You should feel good about getting things cleaned in the process!
            Tracie

Comment

Wow! So glad you got another opinion AND they were able to come timely and fix the issue a lot cheaper.

Comment

Happy that you got the sink fixed quickly and for less than original estimate.

Comment

your inner voice prevailed. Glad the repair worked out the way it did. Major sigh of relief for you, I'm sure.
                  Kathy

Comment

So glad you got everything fixed. My father had a model train layout. Try to find a model railroad club or group that
                    might be interested. Maybe sell on Facebook marketplace. Some of the trains are expensive.

Comment

• JCY
                      JCY commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am not on facebook. There is a model RR club in our county, but so many of the RRers these days have everything computerized. DH's layout is old technology using power packs. He made the layout modular so it can be taken apart & moved in sections.

So Happy for you guys!

Comment

Joy, so glad that you were able to get someone else out there to take a look and found it could be fixed. Now praying that it stays that way. I absolutely love the attitude that things needed to be moved, looked through, cleaned up. I've been doing that here too although I didn't have your reason to do it.
                      Carlie

Comment

So happy to hear this great outcome for you and DH! I’m smiling when I read all your hard work, but you turn it to a positive. I hope your DH will find peace with this resolution. Enjoy your spic and span house, you’ve sure earned it!

Comment

Phew! What great news! MM loves trains too. He is always drawing plans and reading books. He has great ideas in the works. And now that today is his first day of retirement for him, I can't wait to see what comes of it.
                          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• MSN
                            MSN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Congrats to MM on his retirement! It will be an adjustment, but hopefully more time to do things that he has wanted to do.
                            And for you, Pat, I offer a wise saying I once saw on a cross-stitch sampler:

"Retirement: Half as much money. Twice as much husband."

May you survive both!

As my husband would say, "Your spidey senses were tingling" for a reason. I am happy that you got this problem resolved without costing a cozillion dollars.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                          X