Good morning Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning Monday

Good morning. Up even before the crack of dawn. I have a very early start at work this morning. I was asked to come in for 7 as there was a truck load of parcels delivered yesterday and lord know how many are coming today. I will certainly have a busy day today. I am also meeting with a friend to discuss a memory quilt she would like me to make for her. Her husband passed away last year.

We set out for a drive yesterday. We went to an antique mall while practicing social distancing. I purchased a gold necklace. Hubby didn't get anything. From there we decided to head to Perth, at an antique mall as well. From there we weren't far from my cousin's. My Aunt's treadle sewing machine is now here. I won't have much time to get her shined up and working just yet. AND I have to find a spot to put her in but I am so pleased, as is my cousin, that she is home here. He was pleased that I was going to use and I think my Aunt would be pleased as well. Our parents were not just brother and sister but best friends so he thought it fitting that it come to me. I think I am the only one in the whole family who has taken on the quilting tradition. What a gift, a thimble that belonged to our great grandmother and a sewing machine.

I am hoping that each and every one of you is safe from all the turmoil that is going on.

Have a great day friends.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Good morning all!

Monique, i hope your day goes by quickly and smoothly! So happy you have your Aunt’s machine.....and the thimble! I love family treasures.

Not much happening on the sewing front.....but oh my the riots! I was young when the 1967 Detroit riots happened. I remember the smoke and the smell......mostly the terror we were going through. We lived 2 miles from it, but my grandparents were right in it. My dad tried to get them to stay with us.....they wanted to defend their home......and ya don’t mess with my grandma.....she was a force to reckon with! Thought those days were long gone......sigh. So very sad and senseless.

Well this weekend did have a bit of excitement! I’m gonna be a grandma again! This will #8! My son and wife sent the most hilarious video to all to send the announce, so that everyone got it at the same time......that didn’t happen. Everyone was outside working and saw it later.....that in itself was funny. Our son and dil have 3 now. The eldest was so very excited, the youngest kept asking if it was a joke, the middle, who is a boy was excited at seeing “a real baby.” Did he miss his sister? I think he’s just forgotten.....but the interaction between was fun to watch. They all decided they wanted it to be a boy.....time will tell.

Hope everyone has a grand day. Stay safe and keep your spirits high! Counts your blessings!
    💫 Star lover

Comment

• Dove
      Dove commented
      Editing a comment
      How wonderful and how exciting! Congratulations to all!

• CarlieBlilie
      CarlieBlilie commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations! How exciting. I have 5 and they keep me busy. I can't imagine 8 but oh the fun!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations on the expected one!

Good morning!

We have lots of sunshine today; temps will be in the low 70's. Temps were down in the 40's overnight. Brr!

I did not spend much time in the sewing room this weekend. I binged a lot of Netflix, though. I haven't been sleeping well lately, I think two and half months of teleworking and being safe at home have caught up with me. I want to run up to the grocery store today. I don't need much. I really should go for a drive one of these days to get out of the house and give the car some exercise. With the teleworking, I haven't bought gas since March.

I finally cleared off my cutting table, so I can use it to sandwich a quilt. I need to decide which edge-to-edge quilting design to use. I stitched out several of them and have narrowed my choices down to two. Either one would work. I may end up flipping a quarter to choose.

I'd better log in to my work chat. One of my co-workers lives in a condo near downtown and I hope she has been staying safe from the riots.

Have a wonderful day!

Comment

Good Morning, Everyone ~ Today I'm going to make more phone calls & get a 2nd opinion on our sink drain problem. I want a camera examination of the drain line before anyone starts jack hammering in our basement. I've been hauling the sink waste water to the bathroom for a week now. What's a few more to get a 2nd opinion. I put a hold on the work order from that other plumber. Just not having a good feeling about them. Hoping & praying we get the right fix soon. It's been a frustrating & tiring time for both of us.

Yest. was very hot. High temp. was 96 deg. But at least it cooled off a little better last night for sleeping. I slept better than the night before. Maybe it was all that work I did in the bsmt. yest. I busted my butt to get the fam. rm. cleared where they may have to jack hammer. I finally got the 2 tables cleared off. Had to sort a lot of sewing scraps, patterns, etc. The tables have been taken down, the book shelf moved, some antique dishes that I was concerned could get jarred from the shelves with the jack hammering are packed in a box. About all that's left is to spread sheets over things when the work is slated to begin.

Monique ~ It sounds like you're going to have a busy day at the post office. Years ago, I acquired a treadle sewing machine from my first husband's family. They wanted it kept in the family. Not sure if I ever really used it. It's in my sewing room; I use it as a table. It has a lamp on it & sewing notions. As a girl, I learned to sew on my mom's treadle. I understand the Amish still do their sewing on a treadle, since they are off the electric grid.

I have a busy day ahead.

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
        Nwmnteacher commented
        Editing a comment
        Joy, when my sister, mom, and I visited Pennsylvania 14 years ago, we saw Amish women using electric sewing machines hooked up to gas powered generators. We had supper with an Amish family, and they had a gas powered fridge, and used a battery operated mixer to mash potatoes. It was such an amazing trip!

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        It's worth getting a second opinion. I wrote about this a few months ago...we had some water damage at the back corner of our house. The gutter leaked and water had soaked into the wood sheathing under the clapboard and about 8 ft. of the sill was also soaked and all of it rotted. We discovered it while replacing some trim when we had the house painted. We got an estimate from a builder who told us the house would have to be jacked up and we would likely have cracked plaster up to the second floor and broken windows. He said it would involve removing part of the interior wall and plaster ceiling in our finished basement. The cost? $10-15K. We were shocked. We found a company that specializes in sill work and structural. Their engineer came out and said it was a simple fix, no jacking, it could be done with shims and take about 1-2 days. Estimate $3,500. They're actually here today and so far, no surprises. I'm so thankful we got that second opinion.
        Last edited by chelea; June 1, 2020, 09:39 AM.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Definitely a good idea to get a second opinion. At least if they come up with the same issue or problem, you can chose the one that you feel more comfortable working with. I guess you can check the company's rating with the BBB. Sometimes even positive comments can give a clue of how they work.

Good Morning All,

I'm going to bite the bullet. After Howard passed I wore his wedding ring around my neck on a chain until Zeke broke the chain. Last summer, when Melinda and Cecelia were here we went to an art store and I saw a necklace made out of two wedding rings. Well, I'm going to have one made out of our wedding rings. There will probably have to be some adjustments, as Howard's was a size 13 and mine 4 1/2 or 5. The jeweler, I'd trust the most has retired, but his son is in the business. I'll contact his Mom and see if he'd like the commission and how much of the bullet I'm going to have to pay for.

I'm back in Ugly business. I finished up the 20 blocks that have been sitting on my desk and have the next 20 ready to lay out. I still have squares to work with, I didn't. realize I'd cut THAT much fabric! My stack of 'to be finished' keeps growing! I heard from JoAnn's, my backing fabric should be here Wednesday. So some of these Uglies should get finished this week. I still haven't heard about my roll of batting (which I ordered first).

I gave Jeffie the two aprons she'd asked for, with the receipt of what I'd spent. She was so excited. If I do make more aprons out of dish towels, I'll add some shapeflex 101 to the sash. It just needs a little more body, in my opinion.

I guess it's time to get busy. Have a wonderful day.

Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Good morning all. Although it doesn't feel very good. My heart is hurting with what I see on the news.

Monique, sounds like a busy day and hiw wonderful that you've got that treadle machine. What a treasure.

Anita, congratulations! A new baby on the way. I see some more sewing projects in your future.

Julie, last week I used my car for the first time in weeks. I even put gas in it, which I also hadn't done since March. And I hope your co-worker is safe.

Joy, a 2nd opinion is a great idea. I hope there is another option to fix the issue .

Time to go find something to keep me busy. I need to hang around the house and wait for FedEx to deliver my new debit card. I lost it someplace here in the house. I am afraid it got tossed. I certainly didn't lose it outside this house since I haven't been out shopping anywhere. Be well. Stay safe.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          Ginny -- I am feeling the need to withdraw from all the news going on in the US. It is heart wrenching. It does not seem that the states are very united currently, and a reflection that no one is taking the lead on this situation. I fear for the good folks who may be caught in the crossfires. We had similar protests recently in 3 major cities, but generally peaceful. You cant fight hatred or violence with more hatred and violence.

It's time to start a new project now that the book is done. I want to take a closer look at the Judy Niemeyer pattern that I bought and maybe get some ideas about what fabrics I want to use in it. I'd love to go out to Lancaster County to my favorite quilt shop. It's about a 4 hour drive one way so it would be best to do it as an overnight trip. I'd have to leave Mike with the job of taking care of my cats. One needs insulin injections twice a day. And he's very allergic to cats. I'll see--- they're reopening on Friday so maybe next week would be a good time to go. Maybe I could just do it in one day if I left early in the morning.

Today is my grandson's second birthday. We're going to their place tomorrow. No party this year because the grandparents are all high-risk age. It's hard to believe he's two already. Back before he was born, they discovered he would need heart surgery. He had that done when he was five days old. Because of the surgery he had trouble swallowing and had to be fed through a tube into his stomach. The little guy never did crawl because of that. Now you wouldn't even know that he had gone through all of that. Healthy and happy!

Not sure if Mike and I will be attempting all the yard work ourselves or if he'll be able to find a landscaper to do it. We want to start an herb garden in the backyard so I ordered "Herb Gardening for Dummies."

~ Carol from PA

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Katrina, you'll have to post a picture when the wedding ring necklace is done. I think it's a very sweet idea.

I worked this weekend at J's. It was steady, but hardly as busy as we usually are on weekends. In fact, I asked to go home early yesterday since it was slow, and there were enough people there to cover everything needing to be done. I was feeling really tired, so was glad to leave early. After not working for two months, I'm finding I'll have to get used to being on my feet all day again.

I woke up to thunder and heavy rain this morning. We sure needed it! Our neighbor said there was an inch in his rain gauge. I was going to work in the garden today, but with our heavy soil, it will take a couple of days to dry out enough to be in there.

I'm in search of another cup of coffee. Enjoy your day everyone.
          Jeanne

Comment

Good Morning! Sounds like we're in for a hot one today at 90 and high humidity. Right now it is pretty nice but no clouds so it will get hot. Dave is planning on putting the window A/C in our bedroom we oday so we won't have problems sleeping tonight. Our heating/air vents were not done correctly when built (my grandfather built the house) and we only have one heat/air vent in each of the two bedrooms upstairs. They are large areas and Dave says there should have been one vent for every windows. There is a total of 5 so the cooler air doesn't make it upstairs. Heating works a little better because heat rises and we can always put on more covers to get warm.

Dave and I will be going to the pet store to look into a 75 gallon aquarium. We have a 55 right now for our marine aquarium but I suggested to him that we may need something a little larger. He wants to get the aquarium first and the he is going to make the stand as they are well over $400 and he can use some of what he has on the 55 right now. Gives him a project to do as he likes to keep busy.

My my knees are being a pain today so I'm thinking I'll do a little walking every hour or so and then sit and do some hand work. Best get my butt in gear and get some breakfast so we can do our errands.

Have a a wonderful day!
            Carlie

Comment

• Claire Hallman
              Claire Hallman commented
              Editing a comment
              Aquariums are never large enough, lol. As a teen I had a 2 gallon tank, it was like a jewel box. Eventually we had a 55gal fresh water tank plus a 20 gal. Then we downsized and haven't had a tank in probably 25 years. Sometimes I really miss the peacefulness of fish watching.

• CarlieBlilie
              CarlieBlilie commented
              Editing a comment
              Claire, I do agree but we usually had more aquariums instead of bigger ones! We've had aquariums for most of our married life (46 years). We started with freshwater and then moved onto the marine tanks. Our son even shared his room with aquariums when he was born. Stopped for a while when both of us were so busy with work. When we moved into my grandparents' house 9 years ago we decided to set up a freshwater aquarium. Then once Dave retired we started talking about setting up a marine tank again. This morning he skied about getting a 90 gallon instead of the 75. Have to kind of roll my eyes on that one. And he complains about my fabric! We will probably get the 90. It is the same length and width as the 75, just a little deeper which would be a good thing I guess. Watching them is definitely peaceful. The marine aquarium is fun to watch, too with all the different creatures and especially the bright colors.

• Nwmnteacher
              Nwmnteacher commented
              Editing a comment
              I had an aquarium in my classroom for a couple of years. The kids loved watching the fish, and were always excited when I got a new one.

Good day everyone,

I've been reclusing myself from all types of social media lately. First it makes me sick to see the carelessness of Covidiots in public spaces, likely spreading the virus. I find this totally disrespectful to all the health care workers (many of my friends) across the nation who are putting themselves at risk to save lives, while others totally disregard the simple courtesy of wearing a mask or physical distancing. Then, the riots and protests that have turned violent in the US. This bombards the news feeds and I am sick of seeing it. It reminds me when I was a kid and would see the news in the 1960s of similar events in the US. I cannot believe the racism that still exists half century later. The good thing is I have free choice, and I am not turning it on. Hence, all forms of media.

I have been focussing on my sewing rooms, and getting tops finished; making more masks; sorting fabric scraps. We have been busy re-arranging all the furniture in our basement family room. We need space because we are getting a 12' HQ Amara with Pro-Stitcher. DH has been trying to convince me for over a year, and Saturday when we visited our LQS and bought fabric, we got details on space needed. We came home and ordered it. It should be here later this week, and by next week, I will be only be found in the basement. DH figured that we weren't going to be travelling in the next few years due to the virus, so why not.

Mom is doing ok. She is still asymptomatic, and after 2 weeks, its looks like she will be deemed recovered. I'm not certain when she will be moved back to her room, as I currently can still reach her by video chat on Messenger. Once all cases are cleared in her residence, there are plans to bring residents to a window on main floor for visits with family. That will be nice.

I'm glad to read that everyone is busy, one way or another. Monique - congrats on getting the treadle. It is so much more special as it comes from family member.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Suzanne, wonderful news about your mom. And the new LA!

Comment

Working...
              X