Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN
    replied
    Thank you, Sally. Things seem to have settled down here, at least for the time being. The Minneapolis City Council is planning to defund the police department. Pretty drastic, but perhaps necessary. Not sure what the new plan will be, but it will at least eliminate the police union. The Governor asked the state Attorney General to prosecute the four police officers involved in George Floyd's death. I don't think the AG has much experience as a prosecutor; I hope his office is up to the task. The eyes of the world will be watching those trials.

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied
    Originally posted by KPH View Post
    Lifting prayers for peace and safety. These are crazy times we live in.

Time has passed and memories fade, but I don't remember any of this nonsense of burning and looting of other peoples properties during the riots of the late 60s. Stealing and destroying property is wrong, selfish and does nothing to improve conditions. I just don't understand. I know the media makes their living on sensationalizing the news, but it makes me question where everyone's moral compass is pointing.

Be safe, MSN.
    Actually, I do remember looting and arson in the '60s. Among other places, Hartford, Connecticut, experienced quite a bit of it. A black woman minister I know lived in Newark, NJ, at the time. There were US Army/National Guard tanks rumbling through her low-income neighborhood. She noticed a young, white, visibly terrified police officer standing on the corner, and she approached him and said, "Officer, please do not un-holster your gun. There are at least a half-dozen guns trained on you right now, from the windows of that apartment building across the street. I do not want you to get hurt." The officer took his hand off his weapon, and waved the armored tank away from her building.

There is a big difference between the protestors and the looters/arsonists. Please don't conflate the two. It's not fair to those who are peaceably exercising their 1st Amendment right to peaceful assembly and redress of grievances. Let's pray for our countrymen, and ask God to intervene.

Love, hugs, and blessings to all, especially you, MSN. May the Lord keep you safe daily.
    ~ Sally \0/
    Last edited by SallyO'Sews; June 9, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• redcaboose1717
    replied
    I re-watched the video information how Mr. Floyd was actually killed. I was stunned, absolutely stunned. I couldn't believe that the officer did nothing no matter what Mr.Floyd said. He wasn't fighting from what I could see.
    By the time he cried out for his Mama, I was in tears.

I truly believe that ALL police departments are going to have to start screening applicants they hire into their police departments AND I truly believe that EACH and every NEW HIRE and all other police in any department SHOULD have to undergo an extensive psychological exam PRIOR to being hired and then should have to undergo a Psych Exam every so many years. There's a lot of trigger happy cops out there....and on the OTHER hand there are some amazing Police Officers as well.

No one should be treated like this EVER.

The way people are Protesting isn't right in most cases. I'd like to know if these people are going to be prosecuted for all the destruction...and theft they are doing.

I don't remember where this happened, but did anyone see the police officer that took off his Billy Club and joined the peaceful group of protesters? There ARE some GOOD Police Officers out there, I'm sure.
    Let's all continue to PRAY for those who have been injured, those who have lost their businesses due these riots, etc.

We can ALL do better if we just try.

Leave a comment:

• SagedCrone
    replied
    IMHO...Humans....the only animal in our kingdom that kills each other simply for the sake of killing. Humans the only animal that tortures for the fun of it. The only animal that destroys what others have built in defiance, rage and jealousy. Humans, an animal in our kingdom we should fear....the only animals that destroy each other for pleasure, money, thrills and so called glory.
    I think I'm glad I live in the sticks..it's peaceful and the humans are few.

Sage...defender of peaceful stick living

Leave a comment:

• Kgrammiecaz
    commented on 's reply
    I wish those who want to protest/prayer peacefully could do so!

• auntstuff
    commented on 's reply
    NOWHERE did I defend the cops actions, just pointed out the media has NOT been completely truthful...As usual. People should pay more attention, and maybe we wouldn't HAVE this riot.

• Hulamoon
    commented on 's reply
    I'm trying my d*mnedest trying to figure out why this was necessary and what you are trying to achieve. I'm thinking you know, but please humor us and tell us.

• auntstuff
    commented on 's reply
    You can pretend that's what I said, if it makes you feel superior, I don't mind.

• Monique
    replied
    EVERYONE please stay safe!

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    commented on 's reply
    Are you serious? You are defending this rogue cop that had 18 other complaints against him? Are you honestly justifying him continuing to lean with all his weight (right foot was light and moving)for almost 3 minutes after the man had NO PULSE? Regardless of what you think you saw....that officer contributed to George Floyd's death. There was ZERO reason for him to continue to keep his knee on that mans neck for over 9 minutes. Not to mention, that what he did, is NOT in ANY training manual, or taught at ANY officer training facility. The man was in cuffs, and subdued....he should have been rolled on to his side, back, or sat up.....Stop trying to justify what he did to that man....makes you look no better than him.

• auntstuff
    commented on 's reply
    And if you actually LOOK at the pictures, the cop is leaning on the BACK of his neck, knee at the jawbone. Windpipe is in the clear. If you allow your own eyes to lie to you there is no hope.

• Momofmonsters5
    replied
    I hope you all stay safe! I live in a border town in Texas. Yesterday we were out and thankfully riots are not part of our city. We just went through the Walmart massacre, plus the reopening of the Walmart where the hate crime happened. Our city is healing but no violence here as in riots.

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    commented on 's reply
    Like Cathy, I am not necessarily going to believe the autopsy that was performed by the city. Neither does the family, which is why they are getting another autopsy done. Just because that autopsy claims there was no trachea damage...there wouldn't be, because he wasn't kneeling on his throat. That does not mean there was NOT sufficient evidence to prove that the officers action attributed the lack of oxygen the man was getting. The other officer was also kneeling on his back...which could diminish air flow. One of them told him he should get off of him, (but did nothing)...and they took his pulse (there wasn't one) and he still continued to lean into his neck with his knee....depraved indifference. Personally they should have charged him with 2nd degree, to have leverage to plea to 3rd...

• toggpine
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not sure I believe the report. It smells a lot like a cover up.
    I'd have more confidence in an autopsy report that was done by an outside entity. If I were the police chief, I would have requested that an independent party performed the procedure for transparency purposes.
    Maybe that seems excessive, but I'd want to make sure every i was dotted and t was crossed. This is not going away, and accountability is going to be key. When other law enforcement are questioning the actions and saying they are excessive, there is probably basis for concern.
    My hope is we can find a way through this.

• MSN
    commented on 's reply
    The autopsy report is far from complete. "Potential intoxicants"? Either he had intoxicants in his system or he did not. The videos show the cop kneeling on Mr. Floyd's neck for several long minutes after any potential threat was subdued. The cops also refused to check for a pulse after he became unresponsive. Hard to call it "pretty much a lie."
Working...
X