No announcement yet.

Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asxa native of St. Louis, now living temporarily in Atlanta GA, the events in MN bring back very real and unsettling memories. Then and now I find the initial police action unacceptable & more than a little disturbing. Then and now I find the reaction and rioting just as unacceptable & disturbing. Neither the policemen involved or the protestors learned anything from past history. And in regards to protestors, they learned nothing from MLK, are doing nothing to further justice for the victim, and are desteoying thier own communities and the livlihoods of so many of thier own people. If we don't learn from our past we cannot change the future, we only repeat the same mistakes albeit on a grander scale.

Comment

I remember the Detroit Riots(I was 13 yrs old) & the Watts Riots. Also remember the issues after OJ Simpson's trial was over.
      While I think this is terrible how this man was treated and killed, I have never understood what or WHY people think that destroying property is the answer to this. I remember the Detroit Riots in 1967 in vivid detail. My Grandpa had a sister living in Livonia during that time. and she used to call nightly to let my grandparents know they were okay, but the unrest was terrifying.
      The newspaper this AM has stories of things happening all over the country.
      Here in Jackson MI where I reside a couple of days ago, there was a stabbing at our one AND only Walmart. A woman was stabbed because of an issue over a PARKING SPACE?
      There's always a lot of problems in that parking lot. At the east-end of the parking lot you have to go up a steep incline to get to the parking lot. There's been several accidents and people have been seriously injured when people seem to misjudge their speed, etc. when going up that incline. That store has been in Jackson County for several years now, and there's always accidents out there, and these aren't usually the minor fender bender variety either. Here's a article abou the last incident where a woman was stabbed :
      https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/2...olice-say.html

PLEASE everyone.....be aware of your surroundings. Don't go out unless you have to. I realize that many states have lifted the restrictions but be careful.....

th5T2LY6JR.jpg
      Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
      http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I think of Rodney King's statement every time something like this happens. He really meant it but was only one voice.

Comment

In Minnesota, the governor estimates that 80% of the violent protesters are from out of state. This also happened at Ferguson and almost every other flashpoint. The state has begun "contact tracing" those who have been arrested to determine to what groups they are loyal. Organized crime and foreign interests benefit from destabilization. It is a form of terrorism that lies dormant, just waiting for an incident like this. And then it just explodes all across the country.

DH went to an outdoors store yesterday to look for a kayak. There were a lot of cars in the parking lot, but hardly anyone in the store. Until he got to the back where they sell guns. He said there were 30-40 people in line to buy guns and ammo.

Comment

Well, now downtown Seattle has been looted and cars have been torched in the streets.

It started peaceful, there were protesters and speakers all assembled in a respectful manner. Apparently, about 3:45 there was an influx of "protesters" who had other reasons for being on scene. The destruction started shortly after. There is a curfew in place until 5AM. The police are clearing the streets and the National Guard has been activated.

The peacful protestors are irate because their message has been overshadowed by the lawlessnes, and rightfully so.
            Be who you are and say what you feel
            because those who mind don't matter,
            and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

• bubba
              bubba commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you see that Q13 security guard disarm the man who stole one of the AR15s? He had already recovered the other one before that. He is a true hero!

• toggpine
              toggpine commented
              Editing a comment
              I did see that!
              I also saw that there were protesters that were trying to protect some of the businesses from the looters. I'm sure they gave up once the tear gas was activated. The looters seemed to be a different set of people than the protesters who were at the rally.

It is mayhem all over the country....there honestly is not a 'safe' city anywhere in the US at the moment. So thankful that I live in the country away from the madness. My heart hurts for all of those business owners, and residents that have lost their life line. They have no where to buy their food, clothing or medicines in their neighborhoods any longer. All of those people no longer having a job to go back to.
            This has turned from a moment of unity, when the entire country wanted justice for George Floyd, to something that has completely taken away what the message should have been. Our entire country is falling apart with this insanity going on......it also makes me mad, that they are allowing it to go on without any real attempt to stop it.
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I feel like this is the "helter skelter" that Charles Manson was trying to evoke back in the '60s. All this upheaval, all this unrest, all these billions of dollars of damages to property, all the loss of life, all the jobs lost and lives upended; all because of the actions of a few bad cops. I think Osama bin Laden would be envious.
              Last edited by MSN; May 31, 2020, 10:56 AM. Reason: corrected an auto-correct typo

Comment

And pretty much all over a lie if you read the autopsy report....
                TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

• auntstuff
                  auntstuff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can pretend that's what I said, if it makes you feel superior, I don't mind.

• Hulamoon
                  Hulamoon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm trying my d*mnedest trying to figure out why this was necessary and what you are trying to achieve. I'm thinking you know, but please humor us and tell us.

• auntstuff
                  auntstuff commented
                  Editing a comment
                  NOWHERE did I defend the cops actions, just pointed out the media has NOT been completely truthful...As usual. People should pay more attention, and maybe we wouldn't HAVE this riot.

Denver has had demonstrations for 3 days. The mayor announced an 8 p.m. curfew yest. I don't know if it was honored or not. Almost the whole hour of the local news at 5 p.m. yest. was live coverage of what was going on. Police were in their riot gear & gas masks, using tear gas, rubber bullets, etc. Graffiti was spray painted on the capitol building, a statue was defaced. What is this country coming to?!

Comment

I hope you all stay safe! I live in a border town in Texas. Yesterday we were out and thankfully riots are not part of our city. We just went through the Walmart massacre, plus the reopening of the Walmart where the hate crime happened. Our city is healing but no violence here as in riots.

Comment

EVERYONE please stay safe!
                    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

IMHO...Humans....the only animal in our kingdom that kills each other simply for the sake of killing. Humans the only animal that tortures for the fun of it. The only animal that destroys what others have built in defiance, rage and jealousy. Humans, an animal in our kingdom we should fear....the only animals that destroy each other for pleasure, money, thrills and so called glory.
                      I think I'm glad I live in the sticks..it's peaceful and the humans are few.

Sage...defender of peaceful stick living
                      😎 Happy Thread tails and trails

Sage

Comment

I re-watched the video information how Mr. Floyd was actually killed. I was stunned, absolutely stunned. I couldn't believe that the officer did nothing no matter what Mr.Floyd said. He wasn't fighting from what I could see.
                        By the time he cried out for his Mama, I was in tears.

I truly believe that ALL police departments are going to have to start screening applicants they hire into their police departments AND I truly believe that EACH and every NEW HIRE and all other police in any department SHOULD have to undergo an extensive psychological exam PRIOR to being hired and then should have to undergo a Psych Exam every so many years. There's a lot of trigger happy cops out there....and on the OTHER hand there are some amazing Police Officers as well.

No one should be treated like this EVER.

The way people are Protesting isn't right in most cases. I'd like to know if these people are going to be prosecuted for all the destruction...and theft they are doing.

I don't remember where this happened, but did anyone see the police officer that took off his Billy Club and joined the peaceful group of protesters? There ARE some GOOD Police Officers out there, I'm sure.
                        Let's all continue to PRAY for those who have been injured, those who have lost their businesses due these riots, etc.

We can ALL do better if we just try.
                        Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
                        http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                          Lifting prayers for peace and safety. These are crazy times we live in.

Time has passed and memories fade, but I don't remember any of this nonsense of burning and looting of other peoples properties during the riots of the late 60s. Stealing and destroying property is wrong, selfish and does nothing to improve conditions. I just don't understand. I know the media makes their living on sensationalizing the news, but it makes me question where everyone's moral compass is pointing.

Be safe, MSN.
                          Actually, I do remember looting and arson in the '60s. Among other places, Hartford, Connecticut, experienced quite a bit of it. A black woman minister I know lived in Newark, NJ, at the time. There were US Army/National Guard tanks rumbling through her low-income neighborhood. She noticed a young, white, visibly terrified police officer standing on the corner, and she approached him and said, "Officer, please do not un-holster your gun. There are at least a half-dozen guns trained on you right now, from the windows of that apartment building across the street. I do not want you to get hurt." The officer took his hand off his weapon, and waved the armored tank away from her building.

There is a big difference between the protestors and the looters/arsonists. Please don't conflate the two. It's not fair to those who are peaceably exercising their 1st Amendment right to peaceful assembly and redress of grievances. Let's pray for our countrymen, and ask God to intervene.

Love, hugs, and blessings to all, especially you, MSN. May the Lord keep you safe daily.
                          ~ Sally \0/
                          Last edited by SallyO'Sews; June 9, 2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Sally. Things seem to have settled down here, at least for the time being. The Minneapolis City Council is planning to defund the police department. Pretty drastic, but perhaps necessary. Not sure what the new plan will be, but it will at least eliminate the police union. The Governor asked the state Attorney General to prosecute the four police officers involved in George Floyd's death. I don't think the AG has much experience as a prosecutor; I hope his office is up to the task. The eyes of the world will be watching those trials.

Comment

Working...
                            X